• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A weak and unconvincing defense of the FT policy by PM Lee

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://singaporenewsalternative.blogspot.com/2011/04/editorial-weak-and-evasive-defense-of.html
Thursday, April 21, 2011

In his speech at the opening of a manufacturing plant today, the Prime Minister took the opportunity to defend his government's FT policy stressing that foreign workers had help to "create more good jobs" for Singaporeans. He then used the following to support his assertions:

"In his speech, Mr Lee noted that six in 10 of the employees are 'Singaporeans and permanent residents'. Singapore residents also take up two-thirds of the managerial and professional positions," [Link]

""For every one foreign worker, we have created 1.5 local jobs in this project," PM Lee said. "[Link]

I find his assertions weak and unconvincing.

First, If PM Lee wants to be convincing, at the very least he should state clearly the ratio of Singaporean and non-citizen workers that are employed in the plant to prove his case. Adding PRs into the numbers will only make him appear evasive. It will make a lot of difference to the validity of his assertion if he had told us that of the six "resident" employees, there are 5 Singaporeans and only 1 PR. I guess the numbers aren't pretty, and that is why he dare not provide the breakdown of employment figures on Singaporeans workers. How to believe him then?

Second, it is illogical of him to say that 1 foreign worker had created 1.5 local jobs just by looking at the employment numbers without providing more background info. Citing his numbers, we can spin his assertion on its head and say that every 1.5 local workers had created 1 job for foreigners instead. So who is creating jobs for who then?

Related:
Singapore Premier Lee Says Influx of Foreign Workers Has Benefited Economy - Bloomberg

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have difficulty understanding you SInkies

Those factories and MNC wants FT because they are cheaper and maybe they are tired of Sinkies with NS or families

Not PAP

Why will PAP ruin their own support base?
If they can grow the economy and attract the investors without FT, they won't. The problem is that only 25% of Sinkies are smart enough to enter Universities. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Doesn't make sense to me
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: