• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

1980: Old Fart Fined Peasant $2k for Breeding!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>Coffee Shop Talk - Gangster Old fart fined pple for F C U K</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF noWrap align=right width="1%">From: </TD><TD class=msgFname noWrap width="68%">BabaEro11 <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate noWrap align=right width="30%">2:30 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT noWrap align=right width="1%" height=20>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname noWrap width="68%">ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 2) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>857.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>" He didn't stop at two and paid $2,000 in fines "
S'pore man recalls his penalty for having 4 children in the 1980s
September 01, 2008
" In 1988, a year after the new population slogan, 'Have three, or more, if you can afford it' was introduced, Mrs Liaw added another member to the family. "
This was for Pinkie bcos he wanted to get re-married.
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,175112,00.html?
WHILE many Singaporean couples are looking forward to more bonuses for having babies, here is one who had to pay for having too many children.
Back in the early 1980s, Mr Joe Lim, now 60, who has four children, paid about $2,000 in fines when his brood exceeded the maximum of two allowed then.
He is among a small group of Singaporeans who feel 'vindicated' that they went against the stop-at-two policy, now that Singapore has gone on overdrive to urge families to have more babies.
Mr Lim is tickled whenever his friends bring up the topic of baby bonuses.
The businessman told The New Paper on Sunday: 'I find it ironic that Singaporeans are now given baby perks to encourage them to procreate.'
Now a grandfather twice over, Mr Lim actually did stop at two; the problem was that he did it over two marriages.
He had a son and a daughter from his first marriage, then remarried in 1980.
When his second wife gave birth a year later, their joy was somewhat marred when he was told to pay a fine of about $800.
Mr Lim recalled: 'I tried to explain that my son is from a second marriage, but the officer just asked, 'Is he your son? Your third child?'
'So no choice ah, just pay the money.'
Still, that did not deter them from planning for another baby. Two years later, in 1983, Mr Lim was fined again. This time, he paid $1,500 for his fourth child, another boy.
Blessed
'But I have no regrets. I'm blessed with four beautiful children, each doing well,' he said. 'I even have a granddaughter and a grandson. Life is complete.'
Occasionally, like this week, he would reminisce and 'discuss perks and incentives' with old friends.
And also discover new stork stories like this one about his friend's brother - a man with traditional Chinese values at heart.
He wanted a son. It turned out that the man had to wait until his seventh child before his wish came true.
Mr Lim said: 'The fines he had to pay were really 'siong' (Hokkien slang for harsh). And that was even though he could afford the money.
'But he's definitely happy.'
The man declined to be interviewed for this story.
Housewife Liaw Bee Choo, 55, another parent, considers herself fortunate. Her two older sons were born in 1980 and 1982.
While she avoided being fined for the birth of her third and youngest son, she almost did not have him.
Mrs Liaw said: 'Shortly after I delivered my second child, I was advised to go for ligation (female sterilisation).'
It was common in the 1980s for Singaporean women to do it after having their first or second child.
She added: 'I was hesitant at that time because the procedure was irreversible. My husband and I didn't want to make a move that we would both regret.'
Their decision not to do it paid off. In 1988, a year after the new population slogan, 'Have three, or more, if you can afford it' was introduced, Mrs Liaw added another member to the family.
She said: 'To be honest, I'd probably feel quite bitter about it if I had gone for sterilisation. And I always thank my husband for supporting my decision not to ligate.'
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>