• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

10 worst handling motorcycles of all time

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've realized that motorcycles aren't a hot topic in this forum, but I stumbled across this article which I wish to share with anyone who is/was into bikes. There are at least 3 or 4 models in this list that were found in Singapore during the 70s. 1977, I was at a stoplight when a Suzuki GT380 pulled alongside and started revving his engine, I did likewise (I was on a Suzy T250), we were pointing in the direction of Guillemard Road going towards Kallang. He pulled ahead and accelerated further. Then the road curved to the right and he leaned into the corner - the next thing I knew, his bike was wobbling (looked like the swingarm was loose or something!). Idiot did not slow down, and the next thing, he overshot the turn, and went into the longkang! I sped past him and didn't stop. Too bad for him. Hehe!

The bikes today are all well designed and made. Good shocks, strong frame, superb brakes, smooth engines, and I am sure they handle well. It wasn't so just recent decades ago. Some bikes (like the Kawa 500 below) had bloody monster engines with a power-to-weight ration like a Formula 1 car, but with brakes that weren't really up to mark. Needless to say, they were killer machines. Back then, there wasn't any c.c./size rating or restriction. At 16 years of age, you pass your written Highway Code, you can climb onto any size bike, and there were lots of low-priced Japanese reconditioned models available! Many of us were youngsters, inexperienced, hot-headed, and zooming around on overpowered machinery. It is good that the rules are more sane these days!

Cheers!

http://classicmotorcycles.about.com...m_medium=tcg&utm_campaign=zergnet-test-559391

The 10 Worst Handling Motorcycles of All Time

By John Glimmerveen
Classic Motorcycles Expert

There are a lot of factors that affect the handling of a motorcycle. In addition to design faults by the manufacturer, poor maintenance can turn a reasonable handling bike into a white knuckle ride! And a bad set of tires can transform any bike into a crash without a date!
Compiling a list of ten bad handling bikes is easy, but putting them in order is impossible. It would also be doing the manufacturer a disservice as the riders weight/size can make a big difference--especially to a small bike. Nonetheless, the following bikes stand head and shoulders above their contemporaries as evil handling, not for the faint of heart, rides.

1. Kawasaki 750 Triple 1V and H2
Easily coming in as number one on the list of the 10 worst handling motorcycles of all time is the Kawasaki 750 Triple 1V and H2. These 748 cc three cylinder 2-strokes were the fastest street bikes of their time in a straight line. Unfortunately, the brakes and handling were considered to be amongst the worst ever designed. The bikes became known as the widow maker. Introduced in 1972, the model was dropped from Kawasaki’s line-up in 1976.

2. Kawawaki 500 H1
Introduced in 1969, these bikes shared common points with their bigger cousins: the later 750s. Poor handling, very powerful, and inadequate brakes; in particular, the power came in on these bikes in a rush. Below 4500 rpm the power was moderate. Above this figure and the front wheel could be elevated in the first three gears!

3. Honda C50, 70, 90, 110
The step through chassis’d Honda is the best selling bike of all time. First offered in 1958, over 60 million Honda Cub’s have been sold since. However, the three speed automatic transmission found on the earlier versions was prone to locking the rear wheel if the rider changed down too quickly. The suspension was also very soft on the earlier versions with poor damping resulting in a pogo stick effect on long bumpy corners.

4. Honda CX 500
This bike suffered from low speed maneuverability problems due to its top heavy design. Produced from 1978 to 1983, the CX 500 became a favorite with many owners. However early UK versions were plagued with a major manufacturing fault—the crankshaft main bearing specifications were incorrect resulting in a major recall. Besides the top heavy handling characteristics, these machines also suffered from major crankshaft rotation related quirks. For instance, if the throttle was closed quickly (in an emergency, for instance) the bike would lean to the right. In addition, the rear wheel on these shaft drive bikes could be easily locked if the rider changed down too quickly.

5. Moto Guzzi
Manufacturers have tried endless ways of stopping vibrations from the engine reaching the rider—from rubber mounted engines (Norton Commando) to handlebar plugs that changed the vibration frequency. To stop this transmission of vibration, Moto Guzzi incorporated a rubber mounting for the handlebars on some of their earlier models. Unfortunately, any bikes fitted with high-rise handlebars became very unstable. The movement in the mounting gave a vagueness to the steering that made the bike feel like it was wandering.

6. Ariel Arrow
Produced from 1958 to 1965, the Ariel Arrow was 2-stroke twin with trailing link front forks and a steel pressed back-bone style frame/chassis. Although the Arrow offered reasonable handling, the low mounted mufflers greatly restricted the ground clearance. Riders would often find they were ‘running out of road’ as the mufflers stopped the bike from being leaned over sufficiently.

7. Suzuki GT380/550/750
Sold from 1972 to 1980 (in some countries), the GT series from Suzuki had three problems: they had poor ground clearance due to the muffler location and engine width, the later front disc brakes had poor performance (almost non-existent in the wet) and a very flexible swing arm. Also, the front end tended to oscillate from side to side (tank slappers) under acceleration. The shocks also had soft damping giving the inevitable pogo stick handling effect.

8. Husqvarna 250 MX, 1970
Husqvarna produced fast bikes from the beginning, but the handling on some of their MX bikes left a lot to be desired. The 250 of 1970 was fast in a straight line, had state-of-the-art brakes (adequate) but a weak swing arm with poor shocks. The rear end of the bike would be flicked from side to side at the slightest provocation. But possibly the worst design from Husqvarna at this time was the crotch pad. This leather device was designed to stop the rider sliding up the gas tank under heavy breaking; something it accomplished at the expense of extreme pain in delicate areas! Combined with burnt left legs from poor exhaust routing, the Husqvarna experience was truly painful.

9. Greeves
Any of the leading link front fork models had one problem: the front tried to come up as the front break was applied. Besides altering the steering geometry in the wrong direction, the front end would lose all of its suspension during breaking. Any large bumps (when riding the MX or trials bikes, for instance) would be transmitted through the bars to the rider.

10. Harley Davidson Sportster, 1981
With long forks set at a steep angle and a top heavy weight displacement, the Sportsters were fine in a straight line (in fairness, they were designed primarily for this) but lacked handling ability in long corners due to poor suspension. Low speed maneuverability was impaired, too, with the fork/steering geometry.

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
my first bike was a Yamaha LC125, then upgrade Suzuki Bandit 400 and my last one was a Honda CB750, modify a bit to Ohlins suspension and Yoshimura exhaust.

i prefer vintage bikes, got a bit of class.

like this one:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The LC125 (I think it was nicknamed Baby LC also) was a model that was very popular in Singapore. For a small c.c. bike, it had a large following and many groups sprouted as a result of this model. I haven't ridden this before, but someone was told me it could hit 160 kmh, which, if true, was really commendable for a 125.

Ya, I kinda like the older bikes too, they have more character than the new space-age cutting edge technology bikes. I like the range of two-cylinder four strokes made by Yamaha, the TX500, 650, and 750. To me, they were the best-looking twin cylinder bikes ever made, and a big improvement over the British predecessors they copied.

That CB750 is a classic. If you still owned it, its worth many more times than what you paid for it back then. It is the grand daddy of all superbikes today.

Cheers!

my first bike was a Yamaha LC125, then upgrade Suzuki Bandit 400 and my last one was a Honda CB750, modify a bit to Ohlins suspension and Yoshimura exhaust.

i prefer vintage bikes, got a bit of class.

like this one:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
" The bikes today are well designed and made"

TS definitely don't know what the fuck he is talking about.

The major manufacturers of bikes saved those 'continental ones' have shifted their manufacturing base out of Land of Rising Sun, long ago.

That is when your phrase '" The bikes today are well designed and made" died along with it.

If you see the bikes that are made in shit skin countries labelled with well known brand, you might even shit in your pants way before you saddle over the bike to ride it! LoLoLoLoL

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
i sold off my CB750 to a jap working in batam. it was many years ago as the COE was expiring and i was preparing to go overseas.

here is the very similar picture of my bike, colour also the same:

The LC125 (I think it was nicknamed Baby LC also) was a model that was very popular in Singapore. For a small c.c. bike, it had a large following and many groups sprouted as a result of this model. I haven't ridden this before, but someone was told me it could hit 160 kmh, which, if true, was really commendable for a 125.

Ya, I kinda like the older bikes too, they have more character than the new space-age cutting edge technology bikes. I like the range of two-cylinder four strokes made by Yamaha, the TX500, 650, and 750. To me, they were the best-looking twin cylinder bikes ever made, and a big improvement over the British predecessors they copied.

That CB750 is a classic. If you still owned it, its worth many more times than what you paid for it back then. It is the grand daddy of all superbikes today.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya, the COE system kills any "vintage" models. Already getting spares is difficult, having to renew the COE makes the hobby futile, especially when people who wish to keep the older models are doing so only for the love of the bikes, and not for any practical reason.

The pic of the model is also a Honda, but is a big departure from the original CB750 - DOHC vs. SOHC. Anyways, both are great machines!

Cheers!

i sold off my CB750 to a jap working in batam. it was many years ago as the COE was expiring and i was preparing to go overseas.

here is the very similar picture of my bike, colour also the same:

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
how you differentiate between DOHC and SOHC?

Ya, the COE system kills any "vintage" models. Already getting spares is difficult, having to renew the COE makes the hobby futile, especially when people who wish to keep the older models are doing so only for the love of the bikes, and not for any practical reason.

The pic of the model is also a Honda, but is a big departure from the original CB750 - DOHC vs. SOHC. Anyways, both are great machines!

Cheers!

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers!

hear said...during the years of 8o's....the so called king of the road..was the RD350 and followed by R5...and the
hell rider group wif name of "white Ghost"...was ridding BIG bikes...true or not anyone?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Visually, can be identified by the cam covers atop the cylinders. Majority of four stroke engines these days have double overhead camshafts, but in the seventies, only a handful were DOHC. Most were single cams. The first mass produced model was Honda CB450, followed by Yamaha TX500. From the introduction of Kawasaki Z-1 900, subsequent bikes were mostly DOHC.

Cheers!

how you differentiate between DOHC and SOHC?

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks, i think mine was DOHC. btw, the guy who sold me the bike was a jurong drive-in racer. he was getting married and his wife did not want him to ride anymore.

Visually, can be identified by the cam covers atop the cylinders. Majority of four stroke engines these days have double overhead camshafts, but in the seventies, only a handful were DOHC. Most were single cams. The first mass produced model was Honda CB450, followed by Yamaha TX500. From the introduction of Kawasaki Z-1 900, subsequent bikes were mostly DOHC.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would label the RD350 a giant killer, in the hands of a skilful rider, it was a formidable machine, but I'd have to reserve the title of King of the road to the majestic Kawasaki Z-1. Even by today's standards, that bike looks, and performs great. The RD350 was a quick and agile bike that is famous for beating machines twice its capacity. I witnessed a production series race in Batu Tiga (Selangor) when an RD400 (later RD model) ridden by Fabain Looi took fourth place in that race. 1st, 2nd and 3rd were Kawasaki 900s (all ridden by ANZUK Kiwi riders), 5th was another Kawa 900, and 6th was a Honda CB750K. The RD performed flawlessly beating everone else in the corners, while holding on to it position on the straights. This bike shares the same reputation in USA, a giant killer.

R5 was the predecessor of the RD350. Both were frighteningly fast. The RD has improved low-end torque (by the introduction of Yamaha's reed valve before the intake ports), better braking (front disc) and an additional gear. It was a very successful model. It later went into liquid cooling as the RD350LC. Too bad the emission regulations put two-strokes into the history books. I understand that in India today, it has a cult status following among die-hard riders.

Don't know much about hell riders of the day, there were no motorcycle gangs in Singapore as far as I know, motorcycle enthusiasts, yes. The hell riders were given that title by the media. To my knowledge, some were schoolboys (like myself), other were NS boys spending time with friends on Saturday nights. Very tame compared with real motorcycle gangs in the US.

Cheers!

hear said...during the years of 8o's....the so called king of the road..was the RD350 and followed by R5...and the
hell rider group wif name of "white Ghost"...was ridding BIG bikes...true or not anyone?

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is perfectly understandable. Many of us gave up life on two-wheels when something more "sensible" comes our way. Family is one of them. Besides having to deal with the elements of nature (rain, wind, flying pebbles), motorcycles are dangerous. No matter how safety conscious one is, a stupid mistake by the other vehicle will spell more loss for the cycle rider. All my buddies but one has stopped riding motorbikes. The one "lone wolf" sits astride a Harley now, dons leather jackets, riding boots, Ray-Bans, and cut-gloves. He's got the money to look cool, but nobody else gives a damn, Last I met him, our conversation was more on high-blood pressure and cholesterol than on bikes! Asked him if he needed prescription lenses for his Ray-Bans, he said, "Nah, haven't ya heard of Lasik?!"

Cheers!

............................. he was getting married and his wife did not want him to ride anymore.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I would label the RD350 a giant killer, in the hands of a skilful rider, it was a formidable machine, but I'd have to reserve the title of King of the road to the majestic Kawasaki Z-1. Even by today's standards, that bike looks, and performs great. The RD350 was a quick and agile bike that is famous for beating machines twice its capacity. I witnessed a production series race in Batu Tiga (Selangor) when an RD400 (later RD model) ridden by Fabain Looi took fourth place in that race. 1st, 2nd and 3rd were Kawasaki 900s (all ridden by ANZUK Kiwi riders), 5th was another Kawa 900, and 6th was a Honda CB750K. The RD performed flawlessly beating everone else in the corners, while holding on to it position on the straights. This bike shares the same reputation in USA, a giant killer.

R5 was the predecessor of the RD350. Both were frighteningly fast. The RD has improved low-end torque (by the introduction of Yamaha's reed valve before the intake ports), better braking (front disc) and an additional gear. It was a very successful model. It later went into liquid cooling as the RD350LC. Too bad the emission regulations put two-strokes into the history books. I understand that in India today, it has a cult status following among die-hard riders.

Don't know much about hell riders of the day, there were no motorcycle gangs in Singapore as far as I know, motorcycle enthusiasts, yes. The hell riders were given that title by the media. To my knowledge, some were schoolboys (like myself), other were NS boys spending time with friends on Saturday nights. Very tame compared with real motorcycle gangs in the US.

Cheers!

During my time got motorbike gang called " xi ba wo " ( one fire ) and lei niang ( thunder bird ) all riding LC Kia :wink:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The LC kia was very popular among young Singaporeans, and because of this model, there was a surge in motorcycle activity across the island. I think the other models in that range are the Kawasaki GTO 110 and Yamaha RX 135. But the LC 125 looks really good and stands out in that group. Must be its water-cooled radiator.

However, on this issue of "gangs", I do not know how to term the groups of people involved. The media might use the term "gang," but in my usage of this word "gang" these groups would not qualify. They do not control or fight over commercial "rights" to sale of contraband items (eg. drugs, cigarettes, fake/smuggled goods), they do not fight or oppose other "gangs" from invading their "territory." They do not don emblems/tattoos/insignia/uniforms/apparel to distinguish from other gangs. For motorcycle gangs and their activities, look at the "big four" in the USA for an idea to what I am referring to - the Hell's Angels, Outlaws, Mongols, Pagans. There are dozens (if not hundreds) of other gangs there, but these are the biggest ones, and they are organized.

I had a group of friends who shared similar interest in motorbikes, but we were not into gangland activity. We lived our regular civilian lives, and on weekends, we'd meet and ride to places on our motorbikes. Some of us did race, but mostly it was a convenient and fast way of reaching destinations. Our other interests were music, and girls. We did not have "enemies" from other "gangs" to watch for.

Thanks for sharing the information though.

Cheers!

During my time got motorbike gang called " xi ba wo " ( one fire ) and lei niang ( thunder bird ) all riding LC Kia :wink: