• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

‘Laowai Style’: Beijing Foreigner’s Remix of ‘Gangnam Style’

Sakon Shima

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

‘Laowai Style’: Beijing Foreigner’s Remix of ‘Gangnam Style’

by Fauna on Thursday, October 18, 2012

laowai-style-jesse-appell-beijing-foreigner-gangnam-style.jpg

On Youku:

Laowai Style! “Gangnam Style” Remix

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7Dp5X5WOf2Q?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

This video was filmed at various places [in Beijing] including Tsinghua University, the Drum Tower, and the Bird’s Nest and emulates “Gangnam Style”. The video features what life is like for us foreigners in China, and I hope everyone enjoys it! You can follow big brother’s [referring to self] weibo. I won a Chinese scholarship this year specifically to come to China to learn xiang sheng and Chinese comedy: @中美幽默桥 ["China-USA Humor Bridge"] http://weibo.com/2998923647

I especially want to thank the Fulbright Association and the Chinese Government Scholarship for providing the funds to research comedy, as well as the IUP at Tsinghua Chinese Program, all the performers, and the support of friends from various countries!

laowai-style-jesse-appell-beijing-foreigner-gangnam-style-02.jpg

This video was created by Jesse Appell, an American and Brandeis University student, who explains:
This year I am in China on a Fulbright research grant, where I’ll be spending a year in China studying Xiangsheng with Ding Guangquan 丁广泉, Da Shan‘s Xiangsheng teacher, and trying to learn how to connect China and the Western world through humor and cultural exchange. In addition to Xiangsheng, I also think popular media has great power to serve as a bridge between cultures and I’m thrilled that this video took off like it did!