• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Catherine Lim to MM, will you send in the army in a freak election result?

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
AT YESTERDAY'S dialogue, writer Catherine Lim posed MM Lee this question: Sir, in the event of a serious threat of a freak election, would you d the unthinkable, that is, send in the army?" This is an edited extract from Mr Lee's reply:

"You look at our record and the moves we've made. Let me put it simply like this. First, we maintain a system which gives any opposition the opportunity to displace us peacefully, We allow the system: we've not interfered with the civil service, the judiciary, parliamentary proceedings, the police and so on.

If you can win an election, so be it. If at some point we are not able to find a team which can equal an opposition team, on that day we deserve to be out. If we become corrupt, inefficient, can't deliver, we're out.

What if we have a freak election, as we may well have? Many voters say openly: "In my family, three of us voted for you, but two against, just to let you know that we want an opposition voice." In that situation, you may have a freak result. That worries me.
So we've set in place a President with blocking powers. Any opposition that comes in will find that he cannot touch the reserves, otherwise you can promise the sky and spend the money. And all our hard earned savings will go in five years.

Second, you cannot change the top officials without the President's consent. any raiding of the funds must be approved by the President who has a council of presidential advisers to advise him yes or no.
Now, why do we do all these if we we expect to overturn an election?

We expect that if we are voted pout, to stay out, and hope within one term, that new government and unable to deliver, will be out. And there's enough core competencies and funds to enable a fresh PAP government to revive the system.

I spent 15 years thinking about these safeguards and finally persuaded my younger colleagues that we need needed these because they can't guarantee that each time they will produce a better team than the opposition just because you've done so in the past.

I don't see any problem in the next election, and probably the election after that. But if we don't get a good team in the election after that and the opposition does get a good team together, we are at risk.

One of the first lessons I learnt in politics was from Harold Laski. He said if you don't have a system that allows fundamental changes by consent, you will have a revolution by violence. If we block all possibilities, we must expect violence. In that violence, eventually the army won't shoot because you are in the wrong. That's what happens in Africa, the army goes in and holds up the president and often shoots him.

If we had not these thoughts, at the back of our minds, why do we do all these things? Just to bluff the people? Doesn't make sense. an army commander, air force or police, has to be approved by a committee and the President must agree. Why? Because er will appoint the commander? No, because a stupid government will do the the wrong thing and when we return, we may find the whole machinery has collapsed, as often in this case. Simple.[sic]"
What the heck was he talking about?

And how had he answered Catherine Lim's question?

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah! So many ERP gantries in the system also.I bet when he needs money he just walk through them.

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just like Kojakbt's submitted thread while I was struggling with my typing, resulting in my late submission, I wanted to point out that this article was printed in such a way as to cause readers to inadvertently miss while turning the pages. Check out pages A4 to A5 to see what I mean.

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
This old man is stuck in the 70s. As long as he is control nothing will change. He is just a broken record that is needling on the same spot! This man needs psychiatric help. Where is Chua Lee Hoong when we need her services?

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is still talking to us like like children. Perhaps most of us had never reached political adulthood. If an Opposition Party can take over the Government, what is going to stop them from changing the Constitution of an Executive Presidency?

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who controls the Army? A Government in power! Perhaps all the Armed Forces stars are Papied Brain loyalists?

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
"If I have to shoot 200,000 students to save China from another 100 years of disorder, so be it." - Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew evoking the ghost of Deng Xiaoping whilst endorsing the Tiananmen Square massacre, Straits Times, Aug 17, 2004

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
“Repression can only go up to a point. When it becomes too acute, the instruments of repression, namely the army and the police, have been proved time and time again in history to have turned their guns on their masters.”
- Opposition leader Lee Kuan Yew, Straits Times, May 5, 1959

“If I have to shoot 200,000 students to save China from another 100 years of disorder, so be it.” - Lee Kuan Yew evoking the ghost of Deng Xiaoping whilst endorsing the Tiananmen Square massacre, Straits Times, Aug 17, 2004

“Without the elected president and if there is a freak result, within two or three years, the army would have to come in and stop it”
- Lee Kuan Yew on what would happen if a profligate opposition government touched Singapore’s vast monetary reserves, Straits Times, Sept 16 2006

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
First, we maintain a system which gives any opposition the opportunity to displace us peacefully, We allow the system: we've not interfered with the civil service, the judiciary, parliamentary proceedings, the police and so on.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LSJkMBMEwPk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LSJkMBMEwPk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iTGmP4A0gyE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iTGmP4A0gyE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMSHm77cVek&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMSHm77cVek&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oOa3m4hsl3M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oOa3m4hsl3M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> 193,983 views

A

Alu862

Maybe the army can't win. No mention about sending in the Air Force or Navy.

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Istana! And within, the Emperor! What the fuck are we talking about Democracy?​

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B43vtUDHEt4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B43vtUDHEt4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

belowbelt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Freak results means having a group or even single opposition MPs whom he has no control over i.e. the likes of the late JBJ and CSJ. He hates these 2 to the core cos he knows they have and will stand up to him and show him up.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
“Repression can only go up to a point. When it becomes too acute, the instruments of repression, namely the army and the police, have been proved time and time again in history to have turned their guns on their masters.”
- Opposition leader Lee Kuan Yew, Straits Times, May 5, 1959

“If I have to shoot 200,000 students to save China from another 100 years of disorder, so be it.” - Lee Kuan Yew evoking the ghost of Deng Xiaoping whilst endorsing the Tiananmen Square massacre, Straits Times, Aug 17, 2004

“Without the elected president and if there is a freak result, within two or three years, the army would have to come in and stop it”
- Lee Kuan Yew on what would happen if a profligate opposition government touched Singapore’s vast monetary reserves, Straits Times, Sept 16 2006

Harry Lee, he know the world. he understand it. unlike some dreamers, who only talk about thing in emotionally term but with no logic, you might not like what harry lee said, but it is true.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
What the heck was he talking about?

And how had he answered Catherine Lim's question?

He is saying "we" PAP will not ever lose. If we lose you can have our heads . He is that confident .

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aiyah! so obvious. LKY is the consummate politician. He don't speak in simple plain lingo. Must throw some smoke first & confuse the enemy. Answer a simple question with more hypothetical 'chim" questions.:biggrin::biggrin: