• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is confirmed! PAP laid off FT 1st b4 Singaporean

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
b4-1.jpg

COULD this be Singapore's most well qualified taxi driver?

Dr Cai Ming Jie became an SMRT cabby last November after spending 16 years as a researcher at the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IMCB) of the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*Star).

His career switch has become a talking point online after he started a blog earlier this year. Alongside his experiences as a cabby, he takes issue with the circumstances of his departure from IMCB last May.

An SMRT spokesman confirmed that the former researcher is a driver with SMRT Taxis, but Dr Cai declined to add more beyond this: 'All that needs to be said is on the blog online...It should be IMCB that needs to be asked questions, if any.'

The China-born Dr Cai, who became a Singapore citizen, obtained a PhD in molecular biology from Stanford University in 1990. The Straits Times learnt that he did a two-year postdoctoral fellowship after leaving Stanford at the University of Washington, under famed genetist Professor Lee Hartwell, who won a 2001 Nobel Prize in physiology.

He joined IMCB two years later and worked as a principal investigator in the field of cell genetics up till his departure.

A spokesman for A*Star, meanwhile, said renewal of all its researchers' contracts is based on a number of factors, including the time taken to train PhD students, their performance and their contributions to the research institutes and the agency in general.

Dr Cai's work, like that of all A*Star researchers, was assessed by an external Scientific Advisory Board (SAB), which recommended his contract be terminated.

Still, in spite of the submission of countless curriculum vitaes and applications to universities, government agencies and companies since he was told he would be let go in 2007, Dr Cai failed to get a successful response.

The former researcher now drives a four-year -old Toyota Crown. 'At a time like this, the taxi business is probably the only business in Singapore that still actively recruits people,' he said.

Read the full story in Wednesday's edition of The Straits Times.

[email protected]

bluewolf

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the biggest mistake he made was to convert to Singapore citizenship. Otherwise, it would have been another Singaporean that got the sack and not him.

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just look at that FTrash smirky face and you know why he is driving a cab now.

I would get down his cab if I accidentally board it because he never done NS before.

He protest like the imported PRC ping-pong Croach except that the Croach got backbone, he never take up Sinkie citizenship.

Dr Cai declined to add more beyond this: 'All that needs to be said is on the blog online...It should be IMCB that needs to be asked questions, if any.'
b4-1.jpg

COULD this be Singapore's most well qualified taxi driver?

Dr Cai Ming Jie became an SMRT cabby last November after spending 16 years as a researcher at the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IMCB) of the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*Star).

His career switch has become a talking point online after he started a blog earlier this year. Alongside his experiences as a cabby, he takes issue with the circumstances of his departure from IMCB last May.

An SMRT spokesman confirmed that the former researcher is a driver with SMRT Taxis, but Dr Cai declined to add more beyond this: 'All that needs to be said is on the blog online...It should be IMCB that needs to be asked questions, if any.'

The China-born Dr Cai, who became a Singapore citizen, obtained a PhD in molecular biology from Stanford University in 1990. The Straits Times learnt that he did a two-year postdoctoral fellowship after leaving Stanford at the University of Washington, under famed genetist Professor Lee Hartwell, who won a 2001 Nobel Prize in physiology.

He joined IMCB two years later and worked as a principal investigator in the field of cell genetics up till his departure.

A spokesman for A*Star, meanwhile, said renewal of all its researchers' contracts is based on a number of factors, including the time taken to train PhD students, their performance and their contributions to the research institutes and the agency in general.

Dr Cai's work, like that of all A*Star researchers, was assessed by an external Scientific Advisory Board (SAB), which recommended his contract be terminated.

Still, in spite of the submission of countless curriculum vitaes and applications to universities, government agencies and companies since he was told he would be let go in 2007, Dr Cai failed to get a successful response.

The former researcher now drives a four-year -old Toyota Crown. 'At a time like this, the taxi business is probably the only business in Singapore that still actively recruits people,' he said.

Read the full story in Wednesday's edition of The Straits Times.

[email protected]

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just look at that FTrash smirky face and you know why he is driving a cab now.

hey why u call him FTrash?

he got PHD from Stanford and post doctorates..u know..

what u have? alot of hot airs?? :biggrin:

dun look down on people because he drives a taxi okay...at least it's an honest living...

as a matter of fact, i respect this guy, can accept taxi-driver job...most unemployed Sinkies graduates prefers to sit at home instead of going out to look for just any jobs...

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ppl in here are funny. Make fun of a down to earth man who just wanna make a living to support his family.

I bet they find AIDs funny or spit on retarded children for fun.
:rolleyes:

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey Commando, I can him FTrash because he never do NS. Song bor?

dun look down on people because he drives a taxi okay...at least it's an honest living...

as a matter of fact, i respect this guy, can accept taxi-driver job...most unemployed Sinkies graduates prefers to sit at home instead of going out to look for just any jobs...

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal

TeeKee for once u say something that is not talk cock. But how huh? Why u never ask ur church to help him find job?

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

TeeKee for once u say something that is not talk cock. But how huh? Why u never ask ur church to help him find job?

relax brother, it's his choice to be a taxi driver...i dunno maybe he's protesting against the gabramen in some way...:biggrin:

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like you because you are a kind and good person. Points for you.:p

You said things which I would normally say

But when I remember that all my Engineer U Grad, NS frens who are either jobless or driving cab now, I got no sympathy for this complaining FTrash!

Ppl in here are funny. Make fun of a down to earth man who just wanna make a living to support his family.

I bet they find AIDs funny or spit on retarded children for fun.
:rolleyes:

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like you because you are a kind and good person. Points for you.:p

You said things which I would normally say

But when I remember that all my Engineer U Grad, NS frens who are either jobless or driving cab now, I got no sympathy for this complaining FTrash!

I dun like FTrash too. But i try to differentiate between those who deserve it and those who don't.

In this case, all i see is a 50plus man who has no choice but to drive a cab to support his family in Sinkapore. To scold a man like this is too much.

If you wan, i rather u scold those CB Msians who study here, work here but stay in JB. Earn Sing$ but spend Msia$, and don't need to do NS. Or even those CCB PRC students who take up our local scholarships instead of our local students.

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't discriminate between FTrash or FTalents who never do NS.

Men or women all here to grab your job.

Maybe I unlucky, seen mostly exploitation by FTrash than contribution.

You may be right, but me not wrong also.:biggrin:

I dun like FTrash too. But i try to differentiate between those who deserve it and those who don't.

In this case, all i see is a 50plus man who has no choice but to drive a cab to support his family in Sinkapore. To scold a man like this is too much.

If you wan, i rather u scold those CB Msians who study here, work here but stay in JB. Earn Sing$ but spend Msia$, and don't need to do NS. Or even those CCB PRC students who take up our local scholarships instead of our local students.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
What a misleading headline

The only documented case of PAP laying off FT and hiring a sinkaporean happened in Temasek

Communist

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy has certainly proven his abundance of productive brain cells. Instead of going postal, he chose to kill two birds with one stone by his move to become a taxi driver and publicising his fall from the lofty heights of a Government backed academe in Singapore through his own blog which he should know will inevitably generate more than a buzz . Nothing hurts worst than bad publicity to despots who thrives on good! And all that accomplished without firing a shot and be hanged for it!