• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP Charles Chong: We have too many coat-tail riders

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP needs to groom ‘fighters’

With more single seats, that’s the challenge for party, says MP Chong</B>

Weekend • May 30, 2009

Lin Yanqin

[email protected]

WITH more Single Member Constituencies (SMCs) for the Opposition to contest, the challenge for the People’s Action Party is to groom candidates who can hold their own in a straight election battle, said Member of Parliament Charles Chong (Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC).

The PAP’s current strategy of putting new candidates in Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs) rather than SMCs means there are members who sometimes “can go from induction to retirement without ever fighting in an election battle”.

“(But) you will need someone with political acumen and the ability to really relate to people to be able to contest by himself,” said Mr Chong, who has been through four General Election contests. “A lot of times, people either have it or they don’t.”

These are also qualities the Opposition parties will need. Will they now be able to attract more candidates, given the higher chance of being heard in Parliament, though possibly in a limited capacity as a Non-Constituency MP?

National Solidarity Party president Sebastian Teo said “we certainly hope that it will”. “Maybe more will feel that their efforts (in contesting) could bear results,” he said.

He does not think the Opposition’s election strategies will change much, though, as the GRC system is still in place and the sizes not significantly reduced.

“What is going to affect us more is the uncertainty (about changes to electoral boundaries),” said Mr Teo.

Among voters, there may be a sentiment that there is no need to vote for the Opposition if they will enter Parliament anyway as NCMPs, said Institute of South-east Asian Studies fellow Terence Chong. “This would mean a drop in popular votes for the opposition,” he said.

But Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy assistant dean Kenneth Tan said this would be hard to ascertain at this point.

“Voters may feel it’s still important to have not only oppositional voice in Parliament, but also oppositional force in terms of having the same voting powers as regular MPs,” he said. “It could also provide an opportunity for opposition politicians to impress sceptical Singaporean voters.”

For the PAP, Mr Chong felt it would be useful to expose potential new faces to grassroots work earlier, which may be unfamiliar ground for many new candidates.

“I remember we had a guy who was really brilliant and could really have gotten things done, but people had this idea that he wasn’t a nice guy, and he lost,” he said. “If we want to bring in new candidates, we really have to get them out to meet people early.”

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not me! I am PAP's top street fighter!

1.JPG

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fark Yew, Great Immortal Charles Chong Gong Gong!

You, a GRC coward who has been through four rigged 'contests', you talk about coat tails?

Let's see you run, one on one, against a real opposition candidate without SPH and PAP machine to help you. No need to fight Tan Kin Lian or Chiam See Tong. I bet you can't even get 30% of votes vs. Chee Soon Juan!
:oIo::oIo::oIo:

PAP needs to groom ‘fighters’

With more single seats, that’s the challenge for party, says MP Chong</B>

Weekend • May 30, 2009

Lin Yanqin

[email protected]

WITH more Single Member Constituencies (SMCs) for the Opposition to contest, the challenge for the People’s Action Party is to groom candidates who can hold their own in a straight election battle, said Member of Parliament Charles Chong (Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC).

The PAP’s current strategy of putting new candidates in Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs) rather than SMCs means there are members who sometimes “can go from induction to retirement without ever fighting in an election battle”.

“(But) you will need someone with political acumen and the ability to really relate to people to be able to contest by himself,” said Mr Chong, who has been through four General Election contests. “A lot of times, people either have it or they don’t.”

These are also qualities the Opposition parties will need. Will they now be able to attract more candidates, given the higher chance of being heard in Parliament, though possibly in a limited capacity as a Non-Constituency MP?

National Solidarity Party president Sebastian Teo said “we certainly hope that it will”. “Maybe more will feel that their efforts (in contesting) could bear results,” he said.

He does not think the Opposition’s election strategies will change much, though, as the GRC system is still in place and the sizes not significantly reduced.

“What is going to affect us more is the uncertainty (about changes to electoral boundaries),” said Mr Teo.

Among voters, there may be a sentiment that there is no need to vote for the Opposition if they will enter Parliament anyway as NCMPs, said Institute of South-east Asian Studies fellow Terence Chong. “This would mean a drop in popular votes for the opposition,” he said.

But Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy assistant dean Kenneth Tan said this would be hard to ascertain at this point.

“Voters may feel it’s still important to have not only oppositional voice in Parliament, but also oppositional force in terms of having the same voting powers as regular MPs,” he said. “It could also provide an opportunity for opposition politicians to impress sceptical Singaporean voters.”

For the PAP, Mr Chong felt it would be useful to expose potential new faces to grassroots work earlier, which may be unfamiliar ground for many new candidates.

“I remember we had a guy who was really brilliant and could really have gotten things done, but people had this idea that he wasn’t a nice guy, and he lost,” he said. “If we want to bring in new candidates, we really have to get them out to meet people early.”

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I fight against useless old folks... They are burdens and smell like cabbage.
Send them off to JB!!

front-skparl17.jpg

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
I actually fought with Mas Salamat, Just that I don't like to tell, I actually use my Chi Gong like this and he fly 10 feet way, he is badly injured and was limping away. I did not give chase because I'm late for my golf game.

sg-wong.jpg

#%@&$%*#&#$^$@

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal
With GRC... How can the weakling get into parliament?

By nodding head?

Got no respect for the MP who walk in thru the back door.....

jim007jimmyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
all the while most PAP MPs is "Back Door" MPs aka "Anal MPs" via GRC......that is why we get a lot of MPs that dont understand peasants.

MP kena burn
MP jails one for threats
MP jails low IQ boy
MP's daugther scold peasant n father support
MP dishonor Sg (Olympics Silver)
MP screw up (MSK)
MP wifes "No Regrets" losing billions
MP covering up for daugther in law loses in stock mkt
the list is endless

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
The MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan won't even get 30% against Harbans Singh.

Fark Yew, Great Immortal Charles Chong Gong Gong!

You, a GRC coward who has been through four rigged 'contests', you talk about coat tails?

Let's see you run, one on one, against a real opposition candidate without SPH and PAP machine to help you. No need to fight Tan Kin Lian or Chiam See Tong. I bet you can't even get 30% of votes vs. Chee Soon Juan!