• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HSR and RTS Discussion

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
So many rumours on when it is going to happen or cancellations...

What is the real story behind these 2 lines?

My sense is HSR is likely to be severely delayed. I have more faith in RTS as the sites are more or less firmed up. The bilateral discussions should be at the operational level now. Budget 2014 didn't include it as the technical and financial details could be still hazy. If the contract is awarded in 2015, it could take about 4 years to complete, which is in 2019.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
My sense is HSR is likely to be severely delayed. I have more faith in RTS as the sites are more or less firmed up. The bilateral discussions should be at the operational level now. Budget 2014 didn't include it as the technical and financial details could be still hazy. If the contract is awarded in 2015, it could take about 4 years to complete, which is in 2019.

HSR totally cancelled. RTS delayed

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
A responsible person will mention their source. U r the only rumor I heard from.

It was mentioned in bernama just a few days before the budget speech that HSR and RTS are 2 projects that might be shelved or delayed in favour of other mega projects and this include a new highway and a east coast rail link.

I really hope I m wrong.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
The HSR is a multi billion ringgit project and was not even mentioned in the 2014 budget which means that there is no fund allocation and nothing will happen next year.
If a the HSR being an important national project involving the collaboration with SG is not going ahead as yet, then the RTS being only a state project will be postponed indefinitely.
To me, the RTS is never a viable project, JB just do not have the critical mass to support the rail system and whoever runs it will be losing money big time.
I wonder if anyone had ever done a serious feasibility study on the possible ridership projection and right fare charges to support the just operation/maintenance cost, assuming the govt is footing the whole construction cost.
The bulk that make up future train commuters are actually the working locals who are now driving their cars and riding their bikes to work and to make them change this habit is going to be another feat.
So I think RTS will not happen at least in the next 5 to 10 years.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
The HSR is a multi billion ringgit project and was not even mentioned in the 2014 budget which means that there is no fund allocation and nothing will happen next year.
If a the HSR being an important national project involving the collaboration with SG is not going ahead as yet, then the RTS being only a state project will be postponed indefinitely.
To me, the RTS is never a viable project, JB just do not have the critical mass to support the rail system and whoever runs it will be losing money big time.
I wonder if anyone had ever done a serious feasibility study on the possible ridership projection and right fare charges to support the just operation/maintenance cost, assuming the govt is footing the whole construction cost.
The bulk that make up future train commuters are actually the working locals who are now driving their cars and riding their bikes to work and to make them change this habit is going to be another feat.

Hope the authorities will clarify the status soon. Many are now making their iskandar property purchases on the assumption that both still on track to complete by 2018 for the RTS and 2020 for the HSR.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

RTS is viable. It will compete with the express buses that are now operating between SG and JB. Most likely it is only delayed. If cancelled, SG will also announce it.

Newbie11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too many assumptions. And it's abt I think and I hear. Given this is a forum, it's prudent to qualify Your statements.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was mentioned in bernama just a few days before the budget speech that HSR and RTS are 2 projects that might be shelved or delayed in favour of other mega projects and this include a new highway and a east coast rail link.

I really hope I m wrong.

Might be shelved is different from what u said totally cancelled. Pls dun anyhow talk.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
7 Oct 2013

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/20131006231500/Article/index_html

The implementation of the Transportation Blueprint (2010-2030) for Iskandar Malaysia in Johor will help to transform the region into a bustling business district and enhance its global competitiveness.

Plans for Iskandar include a regional rail transit commuter system connecting Nusajaya, Kulaijaya, Johor Baru and Pasir Gudang using the existing KTM rail infrastructure; inter-city
lines; the proposed rail transit system (RTS) officlinking
Johor Baru and Singapore; and the high speed rail (HSR) from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore.

“Proper railway connectivity like RTS and HSR will attract new domestic and foreign investments,” said Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA) head of projects and project management office Mohamad Sa’elal.

Iskandar has attracted RM118.93 billion in total investments since its inception in 2006, and 66 per cent were domestic-driven.

The blueprint includes forming an integrated transit terminal network to link major towns and gateway terminals; developing a bus rapid transit system linking Johor Baru with Skudai,
Johor Jaya and Nusajaya; and providing suburban feeder bus services.

It also looks at improvements to taxi services and a demand-responsive transport system; water taxis, ferries and cruise boats; and school bus zoning, said Mohamad.

He said the blueprint aims to encourage use of non-motorist transport, smart development and green technology to reduce carbon emission.

It will improve public transport modal split from 18 per cent currently to 50 per cent by 2030 and optimise road network and reduce car dependency from 500 cars to 300 cars for every 1,000 population, he said.

“We expect an increase in tourism and leisure activities. Real estate development will also mushroom and the construction sector will be busy,” Mohamad said.

IRDA has formed Perbadanan Pengangkutan Awam Iskandar Malaysia to spearhead the implementation of projects based on approved
plans.

Read more: Better connectivity in Iskandar http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_Ne...131006231500/Article/index_html#ixzz2iyR9mZeH

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
10 Oct 2013

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/ca...-new-rail-solutions-for-mrt-and-hsr-projects/

PETALING JAYA: US-based General Electric Co (GE) has proposed to supply its rail signalling solutions to Malaysia’s mass rapid transit (MRT) projects and the KL-Singapore high-speed rail (HSR) link project.
Launched in April last year, its solution known as GE Tempo is touted as a new system to control metro and mainline railways. The system is supposed to reduce the costs of ongoing maintenance and operations.
A Tempo system for a typical metro fleet would cost between US$50 million (RM160 million) and US$100 million, though the pricing would depend on the length and number of vehicles.
In September 2012, Hong Kong rail operator MTR Corp Ltd and GE Transportation signed an agreement to assess the feasibility of applying the GE Tempo system to meet MTR’s current and future operating needs.
The collaboration began in June 2012 and will continue through May 2014, and includes Tempo CBTC and interlocking systems, part of GE Transportation’s Tempo Railway Solutions portfolio for mass transit and mainline operators.
“We are excited by the growth prospects provided by projects such as the MRT and HSR link, for which our Tempo railway solutions will be well suited for mega rail projects such as these,” GE CEO for Asean Stuart Dean told The Malaysian Reserve.
Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak recently announced a RM160 billion commitment for rail related projects until 2020, which Dean described as a “right step” towards a more efficient and integrated transportation network in Malaysia.
Other rail signalling solutions providers are Thales Group and Alstom Transport, both French multinational companies, German multinational engineering and electronics conglomerate Siemens AG and Canadian aerospace and transportation company Bombardier Inc.
GE currently provides railway signalling solutions to customers in Rotterdam Metro in the Netherlands, Tvärbanan light rail system in Stockholm, China and most recently to Indonesia. Today, more than 20,000 GE locomotives operate in more than 50 countries.
Tempo is designed around a common failsafe, scalable, hardware and software platform and an integrated suite of engineering tools, the combination of which simplifies the execution of railway signalling projects.
It is supposed to provide rail infrastructure managers and train operators solutions to meet their current and future requirements in terms of cost and time efficiency to deploy and sustain train control and interlocking systems with minimum revenue service impact and maximum energy efficiency.
On rail-related projects in Malaysia, the American multinational conglomerate sees the country as an important market where its industrial revenues continue to grow double digit year-on-year.
“We remain committed to helping the country on its growth trajectory towards high income status, and the need for better infrastructure and connectivity presents tremendous opportunities for companies such as GE,” he said.
Dean said transportation is a key focus area for GE, under which the company provides advanced rail technology for customers globally, reducing operating costs, fuel use and emissions, while minimising downtime.
“Historically, in Malaysia, we have a long standing relationship with national rail operator Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB) and with our local partner, SMH Rail Sdn Bhd.
We provide long-term maintenance service to its Blue Tiger locomotive fleet giving KTMB the benefits of predictable costs, extended fleet life, and round-the-clock support,” Dean said, noting that KTMB has plans to expand its current fleet.
GE’s RailEdge Movement Planner and Oasis freight terminal management software are currently being used by Class 1 railways and most major inter modal terminals in the US. They can be applied to Malaysia’s freight operations to reduce journey and loading times while allowing operators to increase freight services without purchasing additional rolling stock or upgrading rail infrastructure, Dean said.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went to Taiwan recently. Took train from Taipei to Taichung and it is like 1 hour. The ticket cost NT$ 740 one way.
Another time I took from Taipei to Chiayi, it is about 1hr 30 minutes. A express train would take about 4 hours, let alone those slow train.
What I observed is that the train is only about 50% full or even less than that. It is at peak hour about 8.30am at that time.
The speed is about 270 kph.

If Malaysia were to implement this HSR, the cost is so high while the operational returns is so low. Using NT$ 740 (RM 80.00) as a bench mark, It is definitely not feasible. Anyway, there's no need to commit this project in 2014 or 2015. The planning and study continues.

Just my inputs here.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Might be shelved is different from what u said totally cancelled. Pls dun anyhow talk.

Worst case scenario HSR cancelled RTS delayed cos wasn t brought up during the budget speech despite the heavy $commitment from BN. I fear worst case situation and truly hope I am wrong. I am heavily vested in Iskandar much more than most in this forum and pray both HSR and RTS will materialize.

OracleMasia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Worst case scenario HSR cancelled RTS delayed cos wasn t brought up during the budget speech despite the heavy $commitment from BN. I fear worst case situation and truly hope I am wrong. I am heavily vested in Iskandar much more than most in this forum and pray both HSR and RTS will materialize.
These projects is not going in happen in 2014. Construction probably start in 2015/2016 for RTS. No need to be in Budget 2014. Once GST kicks in , their deficit will be greatly reduced by then.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

RTS is economically beneficial. I don't mind taking MRT to Johor to enjoy cheaper variety of food or to get away from Singapore once a while to skip the dreaded 1st and 2nd link jam.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

look long term.. development come no matter what. you can see some old taman in jb still look nice and already matured.. those people bot 20 year ago for 100-200k only. for eg taman perling.. esp near the sri perling / apartment that side. non g&g, but nice houses, area well kept. see lots of upper middle class locals stay there too..

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually, there are not many locals who drive their cars to work, if you do go through the morning jam, reason being the S$20 LTA surcharge. Many park their cars near the checkpt & take the buses to work. These form the critical pool of future RTS commuters. RTS is a goldmine for the govt due to the huge ridership and short distance expected.

Both govts have already paid Aecom million of dollars for the RTS feasibility study. No reason to cane it now.

http://www.railway-technology.com/n...ract-johor-singapore-rapid-transit-link-study

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
look long term.. development come no matter what. you can see some old taman in jb still look nice and already matured.. those people bot 20 year ago for 100-200k only. for eg taman perling.. esp near the sri perling / apartment that side. non g&g, but nice houses, area well kept. see lots of upper middle class locals stay there too..

Yes, longer term wise, the RM 1m ruling will push developers to build more 3 storey cluster/semi-d, penthouse/townhouse condos etc, which will push up the prices of the 2 storey developments. It may take 2-3 years to reach RM 1m, though.

So for short-term flippers like me, it may pose a problem, as it reduces my resale buyer pool... But in the longer term, it should still be ok, as per what RM 500k ruling did to the properties.