• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Matix, do you mean RM 2.3k? Gosh, really can get it cheap. As long as still can drive, just slowly spend some money to fix and you can get a cheap ride. Thanks for sharing about the fogging. :smile:

Sorry. Now, I am not sure if I am seeing 2.3K or 23K. On looking at the link you post again carefully, it is saying 2.5KRM for an old car in Malaysia. Seriously, 2.5K! Can it even start? I cannot believe it. Can't they scrap it for more money? :smile:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Cathy

No. It is not me getting Malaysian license. I already have a Singapore license and will be driving my Singapore car. It is my wife who doesn't have a driving license yet who will be getting a Malaysian license, getting a Malaysian car, and for driving in Malaysia only. But your post still makes sense as it seems the Singapore license is still more friendly as we can also drive Malaysia car in Malaysia only, and still drive Singapore car back to Singapore. We will have to ponder over this point...

That's where my driving instructor from Eunos driving Centre who told me. I was frustrated about the change in car and instructor and this was the advice that he gave. If you are Singapore and passed your driving licence in Malaysia, you are not allow to enter Singapore for 1/2 year or else you licence will be disqualified.

Come to think of it, if everyone go across the border to take the test, our Comfort Driving Centre will not be a listed company already! :smile:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
RM$50 from JB to anywhere in SG? That's quite cheap - do you have the contact please?. I paid RM25 to get from City Square to Bukit Indah

It was my friend who took the Singapore taxi to Bukit Indah Jusco at S$50, and from Bukit Indah Jusco, she took a Malaysia Taxi back to her home at Tampines for RM$50. That was during the last Dec holiday. So I suggest you check it up with the taxi drivers waiting at Bukit Indah instead.

cockcansing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Polymin, did you have to pay "extra" for moving the fridge, TV and other electronic appliances? I'm planning to move to Nusajaya in October this year and I have a 42" LCD TV and a HTS system. Thinking of whether to sell it off in SG to avoid paying high taxes instead of moving it to Nusajaya. Thanks.

Hi there,
If those items are used, you might need to pay tax for it, it depends on the movers too. I remembered I shipped in a new tv over. The mover took out the packaging and rewrap them and told me to drive in with the remote and manual.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was my friend who took the Singapore taxi to Bukit Indah Jusco at S$50, and from Bukit Indah Jusco, she took a Malaysia Taxi back to her home at Tampines for RM$50. That was during the last Dec holiday. So I suggest you check it up with the taxi drivers waiting at Bukit Indah instead.

Wow... that means your friend can really bargain. JB taxi drivers are quite notorious for not wanting to turn on meter but go on agreed price. If your friend is taking the cab without sharing with anyone, it is really cheap cos' i don't see why any SG taxi driver would want to drive to Bukit Indah for S$50 unless he has a passenger returning. eg. from Jusco Bukit Indah to Nusa Idaman its RM8-RM10 depending on the driver. From City Square to Jusco Bukit Indah is definitely above RM20.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Lemans2011, its actually ok to have an old car, provided you go to a mechanic and get it checked out first.

The JBJ "lulus" status will be given after inspection to just about any car so if you are tied for budget, then a 2nd hand car may be the best option. If you have more than one car, then having the 2nd car as an old car may be ok. Tow truck service is about 100RM. My relative just went to fix up his car today, with autogear box and engine oil change plus new radiator, recon gear box(3 months warranty), centre cones for his rims to stabilize things, balancing, etc for a total of 3k RM.

You can also get a Proton Saga 1.3 L for about 40k RM.

Hi Wuqi,

Yes, 2nd hand is definitely ok as long as you can get a reliable mechanic to help. Or make friend with sales staff who should have a better idea which car is ok which is a lemon.... I guess with a price tag like RM20k it is much less worrying to buy a 2nd hand car. This brings back memory of my trip to NZ years back... passing by all those 2nd hand car shops displaying price tags 3,999 or 7,999 on the car.

But for those who wish to buy a new MY plated car in MY, i recommend MYVI. At 1.3l, the interior feels very spacious and it is not lacking in power at all, compared to many 1.5l or 1.6l cars.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Greeting Wuqi,

Thanks for asking. yup. i am looking at a cluster house in HH. it has a big garden and facing the golf course seliing around 9xxk. do you think it's worth it for me to get it?

your advice is greatly valued.:smile:

Cluster facing the golf course, are you talking about a cluster unit at the Golf? Is it one of those subsale units facing the golf, unit #no. 17?

Its ok but you may also want to consider buying a large terrace at the Hills where its RM 720k (from developer) Whether its worth it or not is very subjective but i would advise to buy at the Hills if you can.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
The taxi charge is a real issue to get to Spore if that is the price.

Now assuming someones wife takes the bus to Spore from Bukit Indah there is the other issue of getting from the Taman you are staying in to the Bukit Indah Causeway bus terminal.

Now this need not just apply to NJ and Bukit Indah. Its also applicable to Kempas Utama, Setia Tropika, Mont Callista and so many other developments.

And this is one of the real issues i had mentioned earlier. Though i know several forummers may ride roughshod over me by suggesting that you can take a taxi.

Not everytime people can afford to take a taxi.

And what about those times when you wanna go to the mini mart or provisiion store?

Its still quite a distance that is definitely not walkable.

For certain areas, its still walkable like if you live in Nusa Duta or even Bestari Heights where you can walk not only to provision shops and cafes, you can even walk to the Bukit Indah CW3 bus terminal or to Tesco, Jusco and Giant. There are actually bus services around, by Handal and other operators but they are not common. For people who cannot drive/cannot afford a RM 2500 car, a taxi or don't want to travel much, then places like condos in Perling etc or even the fairway suites (at HH) will be ideal as you can just walk to the basic shops. There are also places where you can rent instead of buy to stay long term in.

There are also ungated & unguarded terrace houses in Bukit Indah area where walking to the amenities is a breeze and where the coffee shop are just very nearby. They can even take the CW3 bus easily by crossing over to the Jusco side. I am starting to see more SG cars or people (caucasian) who definitely are not locals staying at these areas.

There are ways to cope/circumvent the lack of public infrastructure, otherwise how would the locals survive?
Get scared or give up upon reaching the first obstacle they see?

No, i believe proximity to amenities as well as how they can fit into the place (by car, by taxi, by walking, by public transport) would be one of their key considerations prior to coming out here. People can see for themselves whether they can do it or not. In fact, one of my relatives had this concern about transport recently as even though she has a driving license, she hadn't driven for over 10 years. The place at Nusa Duta that she will be staying at will take care of that nicely, she just has to walk or cycle to shops and Jusco.

For people who cannot walk much, cannot cycle, cannot find a bus, cannot take a taxi, cannot drive or cannot afford a $2500 RM car or cheap motorcycle/electric bicycle, then....... there is still a place for them!

Units at a newly completed condo near the Tebrau city area behind Jusco OR the new condo units being built at opposite Tesco in Bukit Indah will address these problems as they can just take a very short walk to amenities. In the case of the Bukit Indah one, they can take the CW3 into SG and yet access all the things they need with easy access.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Wuqi,

Yes, 2nd hand is definitely ok as long as you can get a reliable mechanic to help. Or make friend with sales staff who should have a better idea which car is ok which is a lemon.... I guess with a price tag like RM20k it is much less worrying to buy a 2nd hand car. This brings back memory of my trip to NZ years back... passing by all those 2nd hand car shops displaying price tags 3,999 or 7,999 on the car.

But for those who wish to buy a new MY plated car in MY, i recommend MYVI. At 1.3l, the interior feels very spacious and it is not lacking in power at all, compared to many 1.5l or 1.6l cars.

Agreed, the MYVI is a good vehicle, one of my friends tenants just got one recently, powerful and yet equally good on highways as well as inner city roads, its a good car to have. Only thing though is, there is a long waiting list, the last i checked so you might want to order in advance, especially for specific colours that you have in mind.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Sorry. Now, I am not sure if I am seeing 2.3K or 23K. On looking at the link you post again carefully, it is saying 2.5KRM for an old car in Malaysia. Seriously, 2.5K! Can it even start? I cannot believe it. Can't they scrap it for more money? :smile:

Yes, 2.5k. I have seen cars being sold from 5-7k but this is the first time i saw this as well. Good way to secure basic transport if costs are challenging.

I also noticed that the locals here have more kampong spirit. If you need to go to somewhere in a jiffy and your car is broken down, etc, there are more than a few willing souls there to help as there are many car owners around. Contrast this with Singapore, even if they want to help you, if your neighbour only has the MRT to go to work, you still have to look at alternatives.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hello JB_Dream,

Just drop by the HH clubhouse property gallery and get a sales to show you one of the units.. mind you they are very focussed and if they do not have what you want they might not even bother to show you around... hence ask them what they have first (should have some semi-D units). Well in fact driving in all the way to the clubhouse would already give you a feel of the environment :smile:

Leisure Farm is nice, the one unsure thing is: will they ever get an exit to highway direct? For now you need to pass through Gelang Patah town and some kampong areas and will only arrive after 6km of drive...

FYI - i shared with bros earlier several cheaper places are pretty good as well... Bestari Heights, Nusa Duta and Nusa Idaman

Yes Lemans, they are a bit uppity these days.

LF is bad, i won't really touch it if i could unless they really get things moving(even someone learned there told me more than 10 years already, not much action) Not much activities going on in terms of developing, making it more vibrant, hypermarkets, etc. There is a police post beside one of the entrances (2nd one i believe) and inside is safe enough except for the bungalow plots where their land is adjacent to highway, etc where people can climb in. The last i remember is that the developer is in discussion with the owners of certain key units to build a small road cutting through all the edges of the estates so that security patrols can be carried out.

There were several pages in earlier threads which earlier bros have already discussed and talked about these areas.

Nusa Duta and Nusa Idaman are amongst the better ones, Bestari Heights is ok but some may not like it mainly because:
1. Very near power lines
2. You have to cross a small bridge to get there (some people doesn't like it)
3. Some units are near to the highway

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks LeMans. Indeed the interest rate is on the high side...

Just a question, I recalled reading somewhere in the thread where the guards are extremely strict and do not allow anyone to enter unless the owners @ home. In this instance how can I really 'feel' the surrounding???

I went to LF sales gallery before and nearly 'sold' by the concept especially when freebies thrown in...

Hi JB_Dream, i believe Lemans was asking you to go to the outside and feel and judge the surroundings for yourself. As for visiting inside, you can always get agents or ask the developers to show you around.

A learned bro (thank you Sir aangsc) recently informed about some units in the gateway and the golf are still available. I would stay away from the 2 units of 8x something semi-ds there as its near to the road and also to the TNB building. Noise and to a certain extent, security wise will be a constant concern for the people living there.

It doesn't help that these are being marketed for 900k though. The are a couple of ok units at the Golf that are ok but these are now around 1.07 m i believe.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also noticed that the locals here have more kampong spirit. If you need to go to somewhere in a jiffy and your car is broken down, etc, there are more than a few willing souls there to help as there are many car owners around.

That is very true. One day i came back late and my wife was stuck at a coffeee shop due to the rain. One uncle with his wife (who stayed a few houses away from us) just sat nearby till she finished her dinner so that they could give her a ride. She did not recognise them so she found out only after she finished her food and they offered to give her a ride. Few occassions we left our clothes in the sun and went out the whole day, it rained... our neighbours helped to keep our laundry because it was on the fence between our houses. One day while i was jogging i saw a Rotweiler running along the road, at first i thought it was also jogging but after a while i realised it got lost, and the Malays around the coffee shop were panicking as if a monster has run loose. The dog ran into a nearby development... the malay security panicked but i must say they were resourceful... they went to ask a German guy who stayed in the development for help. Indeed they got help and the dog was leashed in a short while. For the rest of he evening a fe of us were running around trying to figure out where the dog came from. The German guy with his local wife was kind enough to keep the dog overnight (despite having 2 fierce dogs at home). The next day he brought it to the vet at Global pets and thankfully it was microchipped and they found out the registered address of the owner nearby. Such is the neighbourly spirit where we stayed... this does not sound like the JB where you get mugged any minute does it?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Many thanks Wuqi!

I understand you do bring your relatives to view HH thus grateful if you can recommend any agent to me? I am keen in HH but from their website most units were sold or beyond my budget. Any idea when they releasing new units?

I don't intend nor want make anything from my relatives or friends that i brought here. I always recommend them to just go direct to the developers be it HH/ND/NI/ST as my intention is to help them as much as possible. Agents are good but they deal primarily with subsale units.

You can look for developers staff, most are helpful. For ND, you can look for Cora, quite a nice lady(got 2 cute lians with her).

For HH, its in June if i am not mistaken, some friends and relatives recently came and booked to change their lives and prices went higher though, its now at 720k RM for a superlink house.

For bros on a budget or want to start somewhere (low downpayment) and like the first link area, there is always Setia Tropika as well.

Went again to Mont Calista with relatives today, now on hindsight, my dad was correct when he directed me to HH. Pulai area is also launching some units of gated/guarded houses which cost about 380k (330k for bumi units), i am sure something can be worked out for people who likes the area. Design is quite good.

Places like Straitsview, etc as Lemans2011 has mentioned are also good but as in like Mont Calista and some of the developments around 1st link, people may feel differently about the developments.

This is very subjective though, what fits someone like a well made glove may be totally bad for another.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
That is very true. One day i came back late and my wife was stuck at a coffeee shop due to the rain. One uncle with his wife (who stayed a few houses away from us) just sat nearby till she finished her dinner so that they could give her a ride. She did not recognise them so she found out only after she finished her food and they offered to give her a ride. Few occassions we left our clothes in the sun and went out the whole day, it rained... our neighbours helped to keep our laundry because it was on the fence between our houses. One day while i was jogging i saw a Rotweiler running along the road, at first i thought it was also jogging but after a while i realised it got lost, and the Malays around the coffee shop were panicking as if a monster has run loose. The dog ran into a nearby development... the malay security panicked but i must say they were resourceful... they went to ask a German guy who stayed in the development for help. Indeed they got help and the dog was leashed in a short while. For the rest of he evening a fe of us were running around trying to figure out where the dog came from. The German guy with his local wife was kind enough to keep the dog overnight (despite having 2 fierce dogs at home). The next day he brought it to the vet at Global pets and thankfully it was microchipped and they found out the registered address of the owner nearby. Such is the neighbourly spirit where we stayed... this does not sound like the JB where you get mugged any minute does it?

Agreed Lemans2011, indeed my neighbours regularly thumb rides from my relatives when they are going back and more than a few times, either they drove me or i drove them for errands or when their cars are in the workshop, etc. Once i even drove one to his other home in Malacca and he reciprocated by giving us a stay at his house(very nice i might add).

We even had Peranakan dinner, etc and he took us around. We have each others gate keys, etc and help each other. There was also a neighbour from UK who waited 3-4 months for his car (MYVI) to arrive, during this period? Our neighours took them out in turn, i didn't do much but we also packed food for them or helped with small errands.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honestly, i really like the houses at Mont Callista and Straits View Residences.

Mont Callista is one of the few places which is still comparatively cheap... you can get a 2-storey semi_D for less than 600k and the house is quite nice. Nearby development includes Perdana Fairways Bungalows which is quite a nice development though a few years older. It seems a new road is being constructed which will connect the area through Lima Kedai... the environment in this development is really very cosy. This is ok for weekend home or retirement, but not for daily commute due to the need to go through Jalan Skudai.

Straits View Residences is pricey... i guess Permas Jaya is considered a popular area. But as i said earlier, the house is very very nice

29ers

Alfrescian
Loyal
i would advise you not to get a licence in Malaysia as you(your very own self) will not be allowed to enter Singapore for 1/2 a year after you get the licence or else your licence be disqualified. So please get your licence in Singapore.

From my understanding many years back,

If u get a Malaysian Driving License, u can use it only in Malaysia. BUT if u want to convert it to SG Driving license, the rules states that from the time u obtain your MY driving license u cannot enter SG for 6 months, after 6 months u can go apply to take the basic theory test, upon passing the TEST u can then bring the result slip to TP to get it converted.

This was done by my some 10 years back.

Cheers

JB_Dream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello JB_Dream,

Just drop by the HH clubhouse property gallery and get a sales to show you one of the units.. mind you they are very focussed and if they do not have what you want they might not even bother to show you around... hence ask them what they have first (should have some semi-D units). Well in fact driving in all the way to the clubhouse would already give you a feel of the environment :smile:

Leisure Farm is nice, the one unsure thing is: will they ever get an exit to highway direct? For now you need to pass through Gelang Patah town and some kampong areas and will only arrive after 6km of drive...

FYI - i shared with bros earlier several cheaper places are pretty good as well... Bestari Heights, Nusa Duta and Nusa Idaman

Thanks LeMans for the information :smile:.

Just a question, the above projects are they close to highway or 2nd link as I would assume communting between JB/Sing daily for work? :rolleyes:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks LeMans for the information :smile:.

Just a question, the above projects are they close to highway or 2nd link as I would assume communting between JB/Sing daily for work? :rolleyes:

Nusa Duta, Nusa Idaman, Bestari Heights, Horizon Hills, East Ledang, Leisure Farm, Setia EcoGarden - these are all on the 2nd link side

Status
Not open for further replies.