• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Paying Tips for Services in USA

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tipping is part of the US culture - whether you like it or not, that's how it is. The pay for servers (you don't call them waitresses unless you in the deep in the heartlands haha) is structured to take into account tips.
Min. wage is like $8 but they get something like $3-4 an hour. IRS factors an expected 12% tip into withheld tax, so when you don't tip or tip poorly you're actually robbing from the server.

That said, going overboard with tipping is not necessary. 15-20% tip on the pre-tax amount is the norm.

It takes living in the US a while to recognize who to tip. You don't tip for counter-service, where you order at a counter. You don't tip for take-away. You tip less at a buffet, 10%. You tip 10% to taxi drivers etc etc the list goes on. There is probably no restaurant that will pre-add a tip (they might suggest amounts on the receipt) unless you bring a large party (6 or more?) and they will tell you upfront.

So far OP is doing well. No need to tip room service, they've already added the tip as he notes (usually a flat $ amount like $2 plus a 18-20% tip). Tip $1 per bag is sufficient.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
good to know that you have arrived safely, got your mifi, connected to the web, adapted to new body clock, and adjusted to life as a visitor to california. welcome! so far, you're doing everything right. :biggrin:

I think I've adjusted click wise but wife now after breakfast you g back to sleep cos woke up at 4am. Thanks for the welcome.

f858fd58.jpg

Breakfast in hotel

654773ba-1.jpg

The tip

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
looks like a heart stopper breakfast. i'm waking up late and going for mine now. there's an sg kopitiam which serves kopi and kaya toast not far away. you're a heavy tipper. many wait staff in california will be happy.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
looks like a heart stopper breakfast. i'm waking up late and going for mine now. there's an sg kopitiam which serves kopi and kaya toast not far away. you're a heavy tipper. many wait staff in california will be happy.

20% of $39 = $8 so round up to $48 la

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
20% of $39 = $8 so round up to $48 la

Should be 20% of $36 (the pre-tax amount).

These type of breakfasts are usually a buffet, instead of a true table-service. So you can get by with a 10-15% tip.
A lot of people would leave a $2 tip per head

But you are not wrong - just a couple of bucks difference - you're just a good tipper that's all and I'm sure your server appreciates your tip.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Should be 20% of $36 (the pre-tax amount).

These type of breakfasts are usually a buffet, instead of a true table-service. So you can get by with a 10-15% tip.
A lot of people would leave a $2 tip per head

But you are not wrong - just a couple of bucks difference - you're just a good tipper that's all and I'm sure your server appreciates your tip.

Thanks for the right calculation. I'll be careful next. Ya waiter very appreciative indeed kept coming back to ask if we need any other thing.

Wow big tipper.

How about wrong tipper, wrong calculation la. But it's ok.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How about wrong tipper, wrong calculation la. But it's ok.

No, you miss big, breakfast buffet in hotel, only required $1-2 dollars per head. Big difference, buffet and people coming and ask you what you want to eat,and bring food to you, is different.

so you actually need to pay $4 tips, you paid $8.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, you miss big, breakfast buffet in hotel, only required $1-2 dollars per head. Big difference, buffet and people coming and ask you what you want to eat,and bring food to you, is different.

You realize that you're talking only about a few dollars difference? If this was a business expense, I too would have tipped $8 and not have blinked an eye - because it's easier to calculate. Although this is a buffet, the servers do come by and refill coffee and juice and clear your plates.

Life is more sabai sabai when you stop counting pennies. joetys is absolutely that kind of guy.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You realize that you're talking only about a few dollars difference? If this was a business expense, I too would have tipped $8 and not have blinked an eye - because it's easier to calculate. Although this is a buffet, the servers do come by and refill coffee and juice and clear your plates.

Life is more sabai sabai when you stop counting pennies. joetys is absolutely that kind of guy.

Let see, he could have paid $2-$4, $2 is enough, he paid $8, but the moral of this story is not the difference between $2 and $8, which is a few bucks, but the way he calculated it, he calculated 20% of the breakfast buffet vs $1-$2 per head.

So, it is not about the sum of the tips, but the erroneous calculation.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ok ok ok. First I calculated wrongly thats true.

Second I was told about buffet "special tip" like at the time I was having it, so I think I missed it.

Third and rotikosong is right, I don't really bother even personal and not business because this is just me. But I always get good service and those who have met me for makan will know.

Hey I just picked up my car a Nissan Maxima which just did under 3500 miles. I was driving it very slowly cos really not use to driving on the other side.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

it's ok to be generous if one can afford it. a few bucks more go a long way in making the server's day. they're minimum wage workers, and the extra gesture can brighten the day, create happiness, prevent war and solve world hunger. anyway, most wait staff, ushers and busboys share the tip pool. this also proves that former sinkies like joe is gracious and big hearted, unlike many calculative and petty whiners who are left behind in sg. it's no wonder that even sinkie wait staff in sg prefer to serve angmos with their best attitude and pull a long face when a demanding and demeaning sinkie shows up. :p

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's ok to be generous if one can afford it. a few bucks more go a long way in making the server's day. they're minimum wage workers, and the extra gesture can brighten the day, create happiness, prevent war and solve world hunger. anyway, most wait staff, ushers and busboys share the tip pool. this also proves that former sinkies like joe is gracious and big hearted, unlike many calculative and petty whiners who are left behind in sg. it's no wonder that even sinkie wait staff in sg prefer to serve angmos with their best attitude and pull a long face when a demanding and demeaning sinkie shows up. :p

you live in united state, so honest tell me , you a sinkies are a better tipper than native amercian or worse tipper than them? you can be honest right?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hey I just picked up my car a Nissan Maxima which just did under 3500 miles. I was driving it very slowly cos really not use to driving on the other side.

nice car for a rental. they must have seen your black card. :p

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you live in united state, so honest tell me , you a sinkies are a better tipper than native amercian or worse tipper than them? you can be honest right?

former sinkie and generous tipper, not because tipping is part of life here, but because i empathize with those who work hard but are living from paycheck to paycheck by the week. americans are very stingy these days because they are getting poorer. they will try to escape tipping if they can get away with it. i was surprised a week ago when i was the only one who tipped a blues band in a crowded restaurant. the band left the tip bucket at the front of the stage. no one else went up to tip for over an hour even during breaks, and the owner of the joint felt so bad he had to carry the bucket around tables begging for bucks. i left a twenty. twenty is so cheap for live, good entertaining music for a couple of hours.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
former sinkie and generous tipper, not because tipping is part of life here, but because i empathize with those who work hard but are living from paycheck to paycheck by the week. americans are very stingy these days because they are getting poorer. they will try to escape tipping if they can get away with it. i was surprised a week ago when i was the only one who tipped a blues band in a crowded restaurant. the band left the tip bucket at the front of the stage. no one else went up to tip for over an hour even during breaks, and the owner of the joint felt so bad he had to carry the bucket around tables begging for bucks. i left a twenty. twenty is so cheap for live, good entertaining music for a couple of hours.

you are a good tipper and decent gentlemen, very nice to meet you online. Good day.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Call me silly, I also willingly tip 500baht or 1000baht to listen to live Thai country music (I don't mean western country I mean the kampong or baan-nok Thai music) its very fun to listen to such music. The band will keep asking me what songs I like to listen to and you just enjoy the entire night. What a life in Thailand.

Hey the Blues band you mention is the one you told me about? I've planned to go there probably 7th or 8th.