• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tony Tan & Son lose the plot or jus tplain dishonest

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
You all sound sourgrapes pickled in jealousy, trying to pass jealousy off as call for justice. Whatever the vocation, NS served is NS served. How many can qualify as medical research scientist? I didn't qualify for anything like that but was lucky enough to do NS mostly sitting in a lockup and updating the whiteboard when accuseds were brought in and out. I don't know why I was chosen for that. I didn't mind going army anyway. I'm no whitehorse, just a commoner. And many commoners got such easy (but boring) jobs in NS too. And many whitehorses got shitty jobs too, e.g. LHL son.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Scroo

It gets worst. We have a third sergant for a presidents scholar :-))) Wah leow

Locke

Locke,

You have missed the biggest point of all.... is there a NCO vocation as Research Scientist? Posting according to vocational guideline? Sure or not?

I guess they will be replenishing their smoke bombs very soon.... all either expanded or just plain expired. LOL!

Goh Meng Seng

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder what LKY and PM are thinking of and feeling right now.

I wonder how NEH is feeling right now. He has to explain this shit even though he just take over.

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you know why I demoted Peng Dehuai?
I asked him to take good care of son Mao Anying in the Korean war and look what happened?
The stupid Peng let my favorite son die!
How can he be a Field Marshall if he cannot even protect my son???
Unforgivable!

革命万岁

Locke,

You have missed the biggest point of all.... is there a NCO vocation as Research Scientist? Posting according to vocational guideline? Sure or not?

I guess they will be replenishing their smoke bombs very soon.... all either expanded or just plain expired. LOL!

Goh Meng Seng

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear GMS Scroo

God it really does not fucking matter. The SAF has any number of unofficial positions including mess boys. Do u know how much RESERVIST obligations he escapes by being SGT DR Patrick Tan. Versus Cpt Dr Patrick Tan.

If he had done MOCC and his deferment was not so extreme many of us would have said his postings did not matter because a SAF MO was a generally easy posting.

Locke

Goh Meng Seng[/QUOTE]

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear GMS Scroo

God it really does not fucking matter. The SAF has any number of unofficial positions including mess boys. Do u know how much RESERVIST obligations he escapes by being SGT DR Patrick Tan. Versus Cpt Dr Patrick Tan.

If he had done MOCC and his deferment was not so extreme many of us would have said his postings did not matter because a SAF MO was a generally easy posting.

Locke

Well, you are right... Officer will have to serve up to 50 years old while SGT Dr Patrick Tan, after deferring for 12 years coming back at age 30, will only have to serve 10 year cycle.

Combat MO is a rather siong posting you know. To think of it, I begin to respect all my MO in my unit, quite a number of them are very responsible and on the ball type... never thinking of siaming...

Goh Meng Seng

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In my entire life I have never come across anyone who is 3rd Sgt Dr. So and So. Uniquely Singapore!

DoctorEvil

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tried to post this info but somehow it didn't appear.

Patrick Tan Boon Ooi is not a registered doctor with the Singapore Medical Council. He does not have an MCR no. which all registered doctors have. Therefore, he cannot practise medicine legally in Singapore. That is why he never went through MOCC. Only registered Singapore doctors can become SAF MOs.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your comment below and Locke's comment about MOCC raised a concern. I went to check and now there are indeed fresh concerns.

It appears now that his initial granting of disruption is not kosher. The policy only allows disruption for local medical studies and they have to return to NS to do MOCC. He did not even go for MOCC. Who made the decision to disrupt. CMPB needs to reveal what the policy and who else were granted exception. My understanding is none until Patrick's case.

This is clearly a blatant abuse of position and warrants a CPIB investigation at a minimum.

I spotted the following anomoly which maybe you can help me out with.

In Dr Patrick Tan's statement, he indicated that he pursued a "pre-medical" degree at Havard.

In his CV listed in AStar, he states that he got a BA from Havard.

Do you or anyone else know what this BA was in?

Also in terms of policy, how does it work? The first degree was not even in medicine. Can you tell PSC/Mindef that you want to do BA and then MD-PHD? What happens if you finish your BA and cannot get into med school?

Speaking with some friends who are familiar with the subject, the impression I get if that if the applicants interest is in medicine, the norm is to get a MBBS from a Commonwealth country. THis takes only 6 years and there is certainty that the end result will be a doctor.

If you go the BA -> MD-PHD route, you take 12 years and there is no certainty at all that the end result will be a doctor.

Also if I understand his statement correctly, Dr Patrick Lim was a 3rd Sergent doing highly classified military research which he can now talk about openly. My impression of people working on such sensitive work are usually captains, majors and colonels. Is it common for corporals, 3rd sergents etc to be given the necessary security clearance to lead a major highly classified research project?

Finally on Melioidosis, it is listed as a Cat B bio threat by the US CDC. This puts it in the same level of danger as food poisoning by Salmonellas, E coli etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioterrorism#Types_of_biological_agents

Based on Wikipedia, the mortality rate when treated with the correct antibiotics is only 10%. Spoke to a doctor who advised that the most common mode of transmission is walking barefoot in a muddy field. If you keep your boots on, you should be fine.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pre-med in the US does not even have to be science related. You can do politics or even Business Ed. You however require a basic degree to do medicine. The rationale behind this is that you would be matured, have a well rounded education before going on to do Medicine. In fact even under the commonwealth system, some good universities do not even require any science or maths pre-requisite for your A levels. The MD programme equivalent to our MBBS is only 4 years. I have no idea what he exactly did thereafter but he did his PHD. He thus would have been a qualified doctor after 3 years (BA) plus 4 years (MD) and went on to do his PHD.

Its obvious that he did not complete his NS.

I spotted the following anomoly which maybe you can help me out with.

In Dr Patrick Tan's statement, he indicated that he pursued a "pre-medical" degree at Havard.

In his CV listed in AStar, he states that he got a BA from Havard.

Do you or anyone else know what this BA was in?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Blatant white horse scam or executive creep.

Either one, it is impeachable. The PM under whose watch this was allowed to happen has to account to the people, not least to all the NSmen past and present and their parents.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He has a MD and thus can practice if he wants to. All he needs to do is register. After getting his MD he went on to do his PHD and seems to have chosen to be a researcher and scientist. If he wanted, he could have gone for MOCC. He obviously chose not to. He seem to prefer the air-conditioned Lab. Imagine he served his 2 years of NS as Chief Scientist in DSO and Principal Investigator at the National Cancer Centre and presumably had nice office with support staff while holding the nominal rank of 3rd Sgt. Mind you the titles are in his CV and the dates are there as well. So it has nothing do with my usual creative imagination. By the way during this period of immense dedication fighting diseases on behalf of NS man, his father was Minister of Defence and DPM. He wore civvies, drove a nice car, worked office hours and was no different to any other member of the workforce. When he achieved ROD, he continued in those roles. Probably the first Singaporean to have been accepted for the 7 months NS programme under the "My Father is the Minister of Defence" scheme.
I tried to post this info but somehow it didn't appear.Patrick Tan Boon Ooi is not a registered doctor with the Singapore Medical Council. He does not have an MCR no. which all registered doctors have. Therefore, he cannot practise medicine legally in Singapore. That is why he never went through MOCC. Only registered Singapore doctors can become SAF MOs.

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey, Scro, that calls for inclusion into yr Hall of Fame for Freedom fighters. Yo! Call it My Father's Scholarship Scheme!

DoctorEvil

Alfrescian
Loyal
He has a MD and thus can practice if he wants to. All he needs to do is register. After getting his MD he went on to do his PHD and seems to have chosen to be a researcher and scientist. If he wanted, he could have gone for MOCC. He obviously chose not to. He seem to prefer the air-conditioned Lab. Imagine he served his 2 years of NS as Chief Scientist in DSO and Principal Investigator at the National Cancer Centre and presumably had nice office with support staff while holding the nominal rank of 3rd Sgt. Mind you the titles are in his CV and the dates are there as well. So it has nothing do with my usual creative imagination. By the way during this period of immense dedication fighting diseases on behalf of NS man, his father was Minister of Defence and DPM. He wore civvies, drove a nice car, worked office hours and was no different to any other member of the workforce. When he achieved ROD, he continued in those roles. Probably the first Singaporean to have been accepted for the 7 months NS programme under the "My Father is the Minister of Defence" scheme.

You are mistaken. An MBBS or MD is not enough for a person to be registered as a doctor. You need to fulfill a 1-year housemanship or residency requirement (and board exams in America) before you can register as a doctor. Most doctors mention in their CV the place where they complete their housemanship/residency. It is quite clear from Patrick Tan's CV that he did nothing of that sort. Neither residency with an American hospital nor a housemanship with a Singapore hospital. It is quite clear from his CV that he did not complete his training to be what we would acknowledge as a full-fledged doctor. I suspect that he had no intention of becoming a qualified medical practitioner.

This of course raises the question that if he was given deferment by Mindef to do his medical studies, with the implicit objective of qualifying as a medical doctor, why did he not go all the way and do his residency? If he didn't do his residency, it means that SAF gave him a 12-year deferment to do postgraduate study. That is highly irregular and not allowed under most circumstances.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good one bro. I am actually peeved. It appears that no one was aware of this little episode. I wonder if the other ministers were aware what was going in.
Hey, Scro, that calls for inclusion into yr Hall of Fame for Freedom fighters. Yo! Call it My Father's Scholarship Scheme!

DoctorEvil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pre-med in the US does not even have to be science related. You can do politics or even Business Ed. You however require a basic degree to do medicine. The rationale behind this is that you would be matured, have a well rounded education before going on to do Medicine. In fact even under the commonwealth system, some good universities do not even require any science or maths pre-requisite for your A levels. The MD programme equivalent to our MBBS is only 4 years. I have no idea what he exactly did thereafter but he did his PHD. He thus would have been a qualified doctor after 3 years (BA) plus 4 years (MD) and went on to do his PHD.

Its obvious that he did not complete his NS.

The MD-PhD program doesn't work that way. The first year is devoted to the traditional MD curriculum. In the middle of the joint program, they do the PhD coursework and research. Once the PhD is over, they resume their clinical curriculum. After they finish everything, they are awarded the PhD and the MD. The two programs are not sequential.

See http://mstp.stanford.edu/structure.html for more details.