• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 retro (best mirrorless camera of 2012)

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
the other Leongsam said he is not going to buy D800, which Leongsam are you? Leongsam 1 or L2 or L3?

I said it's on my shopping list. That's different from actually making a purchase. It'll be at least 6 months down the track before I make a decision.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have noticed that it's harder to capture an indoor scene that looks good. Like even with my iphone 4 cam i can take really nice pictures of outdoor scenery but it just doesn't look as good indoors.

Is this due to the sunlight when one is outside?

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Is this due to the sunlight when one is outside?
Because of the low light conditions, shutter speeds have to be slower which reduces sharpness if you aren't using a remote trigger and a tripod.

If you increase the shutter speed, you have to bump up the ISO and that causes a lot more noise.

A wider aperture is also necessary and this reduces depth of field and the sharpness also drop off at the edge of the images. The sweet spot for most lenses is between f8 and f14.

Colour casts from reflections off various objects result in less vibrant colours overall. For example, if the light is shining in through blue curtains, the whole scene will take on a bluish hue.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
User Guide: Getting the most out of the Olympus E-M5

During the process of preparing the review of the Olympus OM-D E-M5 we spent quite a lot of time trying to work out how every little setting worked. Also being in the fairly unusual situation of having tried to describe the menu options of most Olympus cameras over the past couple of years, I thought it'd make sense to share the things I've found, alongside the findings of dilligent E-M5 owner Timur Born.

Some of these are fairly obvious and some are a matter of taste, but they're all things that we think most E-M5 owners will at least want to be aware of. So please join us on a journey through the settings you might want to play with on the E-M5.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5/2
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5/3

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I said it's on my shopping list. That's different from actually making a purchase. It'll be at least 6 months down the track before I make a decision.

it is truely an amazing camera, but there is a long waiting lists, i think nikon will not be able to meet the demands in whole 2012. I really want it, but having another DSLR does not solve my weight issue.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's the point? Low light and long exposure = lots of noise. We all know what it's going to look like.

The main reason is to test the world latest 5 axis image stabilization which is only available on this camera. Internet punter said that it can do hand held at 0.5 sec. Which is not possible for any other stabilizes lenses or camera.

Can you set your camera to low ISO and try that. Thanks.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The main reason is to test the world latest 5 axis image stabilization which is only available on this camera. Internet punter said that it can do hand held at 0.5 sec. Which is not possible for any other stabilizes lenses or camera.

Can you set your camera to low ISO and try that. Thanks.

That depends on me too doesn't it. I'll try jiggling the camera round and see whether the image stabilisation neutralises the motion. I don't need extra low light for that. I'll just stop down the aperture and the reduce the ISO till I get 0.5 sec shutter exposure.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why it is such a challenge. Never could get it right. There was a perceptible breakthru with D300/D3 and I am keen to see if there is a difference with the D800.

What's the point? Low light and long exposure = lots of noise. We all know what it's going to look like.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That depends on me too doesn't it. I'll try jiggling the camera round and see whether the image stabilisation neutralises the motion. I don't need extra low light for that. I'll just stop down the aperture and the reduce the ISO till I get 0.5 sec shutter exposure.

with all the cycling, you still a young man body, surely you can hold still. i think if you can hold the phase one camera (HUGE), you can easily hold OM-D M5. Can you explain why leica can make such a small MF camera, where the phase one is so big. Dun understand.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is why it is such a challenge. Never could get it right. There was a perceptible breakthru with D300/D3 and I am keen to see if there is a difference with the D800.

D700 is high ISO king, i think it will be a long long time before anyone can beat it. I think D800 is slightly noisier than D700 but with much more detail.