• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The upside of ethnic quotas in Singapore's housing policy

White Light

Alfrescian
Loyal

04:46 AM Aug 12, 2011
As someone who lived in London for 32 years, I write to applaud a policy of the Housing and Development Board.

By ensuring that no ethnic, racial or religious ghettos have developed, you have saved yourselves a whole heap of trouble of the kind we now witness in the United Kingdom.

The fact that people live side by side with other ethnicities makes them realise that they are fellow human beings with similar needs, wants and aspirations.

Although there will be daily complaints about lifestyle differences, this is many times better than having no-go areas and "hoods" where the others are demonised, and hatred of their otherness is inculcated.

It is good to see that your young country has learned from the mistakes of older societies, at least in this one respect. Letter from Borzou Aram

youtalkcock

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Civil servant like you should not steal time off from work to surf sammyboy unless you are .................... :biggrin:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In this respect pap is good. Imagine if an area like geylang serai became some m&d ghetto.

in any case there's still tons of "enclaves" in sg. Golden mile, peninsula, geylang, geylang serai all have ppl from a specific race and nationality.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree.

But the downside is the festivals celebrations are all become washed down the drain until you almost cannot feel it. Like this the people bonding become almost no have.

04:46 AM Aug 12, 2011
As someone who lived in London for 32 years, I write to applaud a policy of the Housing and Development Board.

By ensuring that no ethnic, racial or religious ghettos have developed, you have saved yourselves a whole heap of trouble of the kind we now witness in the United Kingdom.

The fact that people live side by side with other ethnicities makes them realise that they are fellow human beings with similar needs, wants and aspirations.

Although there will be daily complaints about lifestyle differences, this is many times better than having no-go areas and "hoods" where the others are demonised, and hatred of their otherness is inculcated.

It is good to see that your young country has learned from the mistakes of older societies, at least in this one respect. Letter from Borzou Aram

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
This I have to agree.

In every country in the world, the Chinatown has become a hotbed of triad operation, and recruitment, prostitution, illegal and illicit activites. Not to mention the dirt, grime and sleaze of sweatshops and child trafficking. There more that can be said.

Lucky Singapore did not turn into one large Chinatown.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
What a profound observation albeit a contradiction! Make up yr mind got enclave or not, or enclave good or not. Dont be so confused.

Or as usual, m&d ghettos are no good; but ghettos for others are ok? Acceptable?

In this respect pap is good. Imagine if an area like geylang serai became some m&d ghetto.

in any case there's still tons of "enclaves" in sg. Golden mile, peninsula, geylang, geylang serai all have ppl from a specific race and nationality.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What a profound observation albeit a contradiction! Make up yr mind got enclave or not, or enclave good or not. Dont be so confused.

Or as usual, m&d ghettos are no good; but ghettos for others are ok? Acceptable?

It's obvious that you're not very sharp nor obeservant.

You're not here for a proper discussion but to try and pick a quarrel.

There's no ghetto or exclusive area for any race out there cept for maybe the chinese BUT look carefully do you see the "" i put on enclaves, BUT there are certain areas in sg where they have a larger than usual gathering of ppl from a certain nationality or ethnic group. Hence there's golden mile where there are more thai businesses or little india and so on.

These aren't exactly enclaves but there's enough of a certain group in there for one to experience some of the culture. You certainly cannot compare any city or town in thailand to that of golden mile obviously but if you're craving some good thai food or hope to listen to some thai luk tung music in some pub you can go to golden mile to do it.

Pretty simple to understand in which your puny brain cannot even comprehend.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This I have to agree.

In every country in the world, the Chinatown has become a hotbed of triad operation, and recruitment, prostitution, illegal and illicit activites. Not to mention the dirt, grime and sleaze of sweatshops and child trafficking. There more that can be said.

Lucky Singapore did not turn into one large Chinatown.

The 'triad' wear white..you don't know what you are talking about... ha ha ha

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I see in this policy elitism and money politics at work.

If you are not rich in sillipore, you buy HDB and are subject to all sort of restrictions.

If you are rich, no problem,can even buy up the whole block as one former Taiwanese (who appeal against her property taxes) did.

In fact many mini Indian FT and Pinoy enclaves are now forming in the low end condo's,and East Coast(mainly Indians).
You go to many mass market private estate and you see gangs of Pinoys and/or Indian FT's congregating -and they never interact with the other residents.

So basically there are two rules here-one for the rich and the other for the hoi polloi.

Sorry , there are 3 rules, one for foreigners (don't need to serve NS), one for the rich and connected (can get 13 years deferment and soft NS research posting) and the most restictive for the local peasants.(even cook curry also must ask permission from PRC's immigrants).

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your this answer is much more elaborative. Why dont you say so in the first place? Gives me the impression you are not here for anything serious but simply throwing little darts here and there without aiming or you are plain confused.

Again, you could have poor expressive powers. That is so common nowadays.[

It's obvious that you're not very sharp nor obeservant.

You're not here for a proper discussion but to try and pick a quarrel.

There's no ghetto or exclusive area for any race out there cept for maybe the chinese BUT look carefully do you see the "" i put on enclaves, BUT there are certain areas in sg where they have a larger than usual gathering of ppl from a certain nationality or ethnic group. Hence there's golden mile where there are more thai businesses or little india and so on.

These aren't exactly enclaves but there's enough of a certain group in there for one to experience some of the culture. You certainly cannot compare any city or town in thailand to that of golden mile obviously but if you're craving some good thai food or hope to listen to some thai luk tung music in some pub you can go to golden mile to do it.

Pretty simple to understand in which your puny brain cannot even comprehend.

Last edited: