• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PRC don't like curry smell can complain to authority

huahero

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110808-0000102/Number-of-neighbour-disputes-hit-high

Neighbours lack communication and increasingly intolerant: CMC

SINGAPORE - From dripping laundry to obstruction at common areas to the cooking of curry, there have been more than 300 cases a year since 2008 of warring neighbours taking to mediation to iron out their differences.

Last year, the proportion of neighbour disputes handled by the Community Mediation Centre (CMC) hit a high - with such cases making up two thirds of the total case load. And the trend has not escaped the attention of the authorities.

Responding to Today's queries, a Housing and Development Board (HDB) spokesman said that it is currently reviewing its penalty framework for public nuisance and is consulting views from various stakeholders.

The spokesman added that the authorities will take enforcement action, as a last resort, if the disturbance in question affects the neighbourhood, and when all efforts to resolve the matter amicably have failed.

The spokesman said: "In such instances, the HDB may initiate legal action to compulsorily acquire the flat or impose the penalty."

The CMC is the main mediation body here for social, community and family disputes that do not involve a seizable offence.

Out of the 498 cases seen by the CMC last year, 67 per cent were neighbour disputes, an increase from the 2007 where such disputes only made up 50 per cent of the centre's caseload. (see table)

According to the CMC, 75 per cent of these mediated neighbour dispute cases usually reach settlement.

Still, according to two CMC volunteer mediators - who have about 13 years of experience presiding over 200 cases each - neighbours are getting increasingly intolerant of each other and pick on trivial matters at times. There is also a lack of communication, so when conflicts arise, they would rather seek a third party than settle the matter themselves.

Madam Marcellina Giam, 54, a CMC master mediator, told Today: "I feel (neighbours) are less tolerant these days and they are bringing very small neighbourhood disputes to the CMC like disputes over a few pots of flowers or washing the corridor, which never used to happen."

Fellow master mediator Thirunal Karasu Palaniappan, 49, added that unlike in the past, when the "kampung spirit" was strong and neighbours ventured into each other's homes freely, many neighbours now do not know each other.

A silver lining

Most of the cases the mediators have seen are between neighbours living in public housing, though they have handled some cases involving residents of private estates. About 80 cases the CMC saw in the past two years were also referred to it by the HDB. This is out of the 1,700 complaints on inconsiderate neighbour behaviour the HDB receives on average in a year.

Mediators are also seeing more disputes involving new immigrants. Both mediators felt that most of the cases they see could be easily solved by the neighbours themselves but the latter choose not to.

As a dispute can usually take up to one hour to resolve and in one session, they said this showed how all that was needed was face-to-face communication to settle matters amicably.

While mediators are seeing a greater proportion of neighbour disputes among the cases that they handle, the good news is that fewer neighbours are taking the legal route to resolve their differences.

According to the Subordinate Courts, with the introduction of a more rigorous and proactive case management and pre-trial process last year, a majority of magistrates' complaints - which include neighbour disputes - have been resolved without the need for a full trial.

In 2009, there were 4,569 magistrates' complaints filed but this dropped by 412 complaints to 4,157 last year. In the first six months of this year, there were about 1,800 magistrates' complaints.

This translates to fewer cases in the Neighbourhood Court, a dedicated court set in 2008 solely to deal with neighbour disputes.

"Frivolous and unmeritorious complaints are weeded out at an early stage while the rest are settled by way of mediation, which has been very successful," said a Subordinates Courts spokesman.

When neighbours disagree ...
by Quek Sue Wen Carolyn

Case 1: A family, who had just moved here from China, had resorted to mediation because they could not stand the smell of curry that their Singaporean Indian neighbours would often cook. The Indian family, who were mindful of their neighbour's aversion, had already taken to closing their doors and windows whenever they cooked the dish, but this was not enough.

"They said: 'Can you please do something? Can you don't cook curry? Can you don't eat curry?'," said Madam Marcellina Giam, a Community Mediation Centre mediator. But the Indian family stood firm. In the end, Mdm Giam got the Indian family to agree to cook curry only when the Chinese family was not home. In return, they wanted their Chinese neighbours to at least give their dish a try.

Like that also can? 请不要煮咖喱!

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is stupid! Fuck back to China if you dun like the smell.

I also dun like the body smell of China people, can tell them to appear only when I'm not around?

Case 1: A family, who had just moved here from China, had resorted to mediation because they could not stand the smell of curry that their Singaporean Indian neighbours would often cook. The Indian family, who were mindful of their neighbour's aversion, had already taken to closing their doors and windows whenever they cooked the dish, but this was not enough.

"They said: 'Can you please do something? Can you don't cook curry? Can you don't eat curry?'," said Madam Marcellina Giam, a Community Mediation Centre mediator. But the Indian family stood firm. In the end, Mdm Giam got the Indian family to agree to cook curry only when the Chinese family was not home. In return, they wanted their Chinese neighbours to at least give their dish a try.

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal
wah...now all sinkie cannot cook curry when PRC family is at home arh?....wah PR complian only, sinkie will have to kow tow and obey these PRC arh??? :mad:. dat why i say...sinkie has become 3rd class citizen liao....last time we have to kowtow to angmo...now we have to kowtow to PRC, Ahneh and pinoys...and 60.1% of sadfuck sinkie voted for it.....:mad::oIo:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If these PRC fucktards don't like it here, then there's an easy solution for them..

They Can Fuck Off Back To China...:mad:

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is the result of FAP fucking policy of welcoming those arrogant and uneducated foreign trashes to Singapore.

Z

Zombie

wtf is going on?
neighbor doesn't like curry smell should close his own doors and windows..
curry is already our traditional food for all races here ... it is like taking away our basic rights..

my neighbors smoke at home and my family suffers 2nd hand smoke from them almost every nite...
can i use this case to stop all of them from smoking in their own homes? i don't mind lighting up one stick in return (as in the case)

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
If these PRC fucktards don't like it here, then there's an easy solution for them..

They Can Fuck Off Back To China...:mad:

I hope I'm doing a good deed by fucking(physically and not verbally) their girls free of charge. Over the past 6 months, I have bedded 5. I'm plotting the 6th now :wink:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hope I'm doing a good deed by fucking(physically and not verbally) their girls free of charge. Over the past 6 months, I have bedded 5. I'm plotting the 6th now :wink:

Ha..Ha..Ha.. Good for you Bro...:biggrin: I share your joy...:smile:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Yes, we have all seen the PAP tactic of blaming the "lesser mortals" to distract from the real cause of the problem e.g. too many foreigners, poorly designed HDB units,...

Are they even building HDBs? Almost every empty plot of land I see is being used to build condos. Where are the HDBs? At pulau tekong?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh well curry can be quite strong. The pt is since these kelings were locals i could see why you peeps might be angry but hey it could have been a foreign one at that. It's good to see a chinese not have to always tolerate a keling's nonsense.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, we have all seen the PAP tactic of blaming the "lesser mortals" to distract from the real cause of the problem e.g. too many foreigners, poorly designed HDB units,...

I believed these aliens never even stepped foot out of their own kampong and suddenly they're in this island. Pap is still never discerning about this point.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
[\QUOTE]
B]Case 1: A family, who had just moved here from China, had resorted to mediation because they could not stand the smell of curry that their Singaporean Indian neighbours would often cook. The Indian family, who were mindful of their neighbour's aversion, had already taken to closing their doors and windows whenever they cooked the dish, but this was not enough.

"They said: 'Can you please do something? Can you don't cook curry? Can you don't eat curry?'," said Madam Marcellina Giam, a Community Mediation Centre mediator. But the Indian family stood firm. In the end, Mdm Giam got the Indian family to agree to cook curry only when the Chinese family was not home. In return, they wanted their Chinese neighbours to at least give their dish a try. [/B]

Like that also can? 请不要煮咖喱![/QUOTE]

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[\QUOTE]
Madam Marcellina Giam[/SIZE]
is the biggest idiotic prick who don't deserve to be a mediator. She is so out of depth and context. I will not be surprised if she had only PSLE and a stay home housewife.

Why not? When we already had rin tin tin as MP. Pap standard remember?

Last edited:

groinroot

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110808-0000102/Number-of-neighbour-disputes-hit-high

What is going on? Will the Chinese give in if their Muslim neighbours object to their cooking pork? We should not set new norms now. Those who refuse to adapt should return to their native lands.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am shocked that the Indian family agreed not to cook curry unless the PRC family is not home. And the authorities was involved. Something is wrong.