• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tony Tan & Son lose the plot or jus tplain dishonest

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
2. bash thru to win the EP by brute force and the rest of S'pore wake up with a bitter after taste.

If he is the only one entitled to get COE, then dun need to bash thru by brute force, just choose an auspicious date, start packing and get ready to move into Istana. :biggrin:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It was huge for the era. Add free board and lodging, free food, free movies, free squash courts, free 50m pool, 50¢ booze and $2 for the best steak in town and I hardly had to spend a cent of my almost 4 figure pay.

My salary DROPPED when I started my first real job plus my overheads shot up dramatically.

To be frank, I left because I hated the fucking life. Getting up at reveille, singing Majulah and be at my desk at 8 am without fail. I don't even stay in officers' mess as I can hardly wait to see my GF. When they asked me to be a regular dangling a promise for me to attend SOC I laughed in their face.

You on the other hand must have enjoyed it thoroughly with a whopping pay and a good life, that you offered to stay on but they laughed in your face.:biggrin:

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

Just gets worst and worst. Patrick Tan gamed the system in the worst possible way. and this is coming from an ex ACSian who have seen his compatriots gaming the system. i.e rugby players swimmers being non combat fit but still swimming and playing rugby for formation etc etc during their 2.5 years.

a. How and why is a President's Scholar mentioned in the same breathe with a Loke Ngim Kim bond free scholarship. Firstly even PSC notes a Presidents Scholar as tied in with a PSC or an SAF OMS or a Police Scholar scholarship I would love to know how that exemption came about because that combination miraculously allowed him early disruption and a bond free scholarship, whereas for most other Minister's early disruption came with a PSC MINDEF SPF bond.

b. Length of Deferment, Even if he deferred despite the fortuitous combination of factors above , why did he or was he not called backed the minute he decided as Dr Evil stated that he did not want to be a Dr and fulfill residency or housemanship assuming Dr Evils points are valid and that he would not have qualified as a doctor.

c. How and why did he attain a 3SG rank and for what vocation would be the next issue after he came back after 13 years :_))

d. Unless PT finds the cure for cancer and the secret to Nuclear Fusion, I think most Singaporeans would want to string him up by the balls

Locke

I am stunned. This gets worse.

DoctorEvil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Locke, you know the answer already. Patrick Tan gamed the system and he gamed the system good.

It was likely that he was given permission to disrupt for 9 years (4 for undergrad + 4 for medical school + 1 for residency) and no one in Mindef dared to mess with him when he entered an 8-year long MD-PhD program instead of a normal 4-year MD program. Not only that, he chose a medical school that was not on the list of recognized schools. After he came back without qualifying as a full-fledged doctor in 2000, no one dared to fuck him upside down for taking advantage of his deferment in an unethical manner. So, they tried to make the best of a bad situation and made him a 'research scientist'. Patrick Tan is just keeping quiet about the fact that he is not a qualified doctor in the hope that no one would discover how much he abused his deferment opportunity.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
My understandimng is that he did not go thru the MSTP programme. He went thru the MD first then the PHD. Deferment is not granted to the MSTP programme or any equivalent unless they are the bonded scholar which he is not. I coulde be wrong and if that is the case, then we are looking at a clear breech of the policy. The mum / papa extended funded post grad programmes that allowed deferment were canned by early 1980s. President Scholar is not a bonded scholarship or a programme. It is a recognition of your academic achievement.

The MD-PhD program doesn't work that way. The first year is devoted to the traditional MD curriculum. In the middle of the joint program, they do the PhD coursework and research. Once the PhD is over, they resume their clinical curriculum. After they finish everything, they are awarded the PhD and the MD. The two programs are not sequential.

See http://mstp.stanford.edu/structure.html for more details.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course there is nothing in the Enlistment Act which says you cannot enlist if you are over 27 but it is a Mindef policy that is often repeated to people who are considering taking up Singapore citizenship. As long as you're 28 and above, they do not as a policy call people up because these people are too old to go through BMT, Sispec or OCS. BMT, Sispec and OCS are more siong than NS in general. The physical demands on a reservist are more relaxed than those on a trainee.

I have never heard of such a policy for citizens unless the policy was introduced after I left which was many years ago. Policies for PR tend to be different (better?) as compared to non-white horsed citizens. As a matter of fact, my unit, a combat battalion, had at least three past that 28 age who returned to serve.

Also, many specs and officers are deployed to office jobs once they complete their training. For example, after I came back from my disruption, I was assigned to Mindef in Gombak to an office job doing audio-visual editing work although I was PES A and had been an infantry spec before I disrupted. My reservist is however a lot more siong because I have to be an infantry spec again.

I know there are disruptees who are put in such temporary sort of positions and primarily, it is because they have a couple of remaining months to serve out. Patrick Tan had 2 full years left, enough to see through a complete mono-intake battalion even as a spec.

Whatever it is, an open inquiry must be held to look into this two-egg-in-kway teow privilege and preferential treatment for him.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is not the only. The rich ones always like to keep their options open. Viv B is a President Scholar but did not take up any other scholarship and was not bonded. The problem is now getting worse. Good ones are not taking up scholarship. Those that do, give it up when they don't get the desired options when they return.

From the way Tony Tan and son are approaching this it seems that they are assuming that others are been given similar choices. Maybe in their circle there may have been others.

Dear Scroobal

Just gets worst and worst. Patrick Tan gamed the system in the worst possible way. and this is coming from an ex ACSian who have seen his compatriots gaming the system. i.e rugby players swimmers being non combat fit but still swimming and playing rugby for formation etc etc during their 2.5 years.

a. How and why is a President's Scholar mentioned in the same breathe with a Loke Ngim Kim bond free scholarship. Firstly even PSC notes a Presidents Scholar as tied in with a PSC or an SAF OMS or a Police Scholar scholarship I would love to know how that exemption came about because that combination miraculously allowed him early disruption and a bond free scholarship, whereas for most other Minister's early disruption came with a PSC MINDEF SPF bond.

b. Length of Deferment, Even if he deferred despite the fortuitous combination of factors above , why did he or was he not called backed the minute he decided as Dr Evil stated that he did not want to be a Dr and fulfill residency or housemanship assuming Dr Evils points are valid and that he would not have qualified as a doctor.

c. How and why did he attain a 3SG rank and for what vocation would be the next issue after he came back after 13 years :_))

d. Unless PT finds the cure for cancer and the secret to Nuclear Fusion, I think most Singaporeans would want to string him up by the balls

Locke

DoctorEvil

Alfrescian
Loyal
My understandimng is that he did not go thru the MSTP programme. He went thru the MD first then the PHD. Deferment is not granted to the MSTP programme or any equivalent unless they are the bonded scholar which he is not. I coulde be wrong and if that is the case, then we are looking at a clear breech of the policy. The mum / papa extended funded post grad programmes that allowed deferment were canned by early 1980s. President Scholar is not a bonded scholarship or a programme. It is a recognition of your academic achievement.

Patrick Tan claims on his CV (http://www.gis.a-star.edu.sg/internet/site/data/cvdata/37_pubs.pdf) that he went through the joint-program. In his CV, he states that he was awarded the Fairchild Fellowship (for MSTP training) in 1992. So, obviously, the man was in the joint program, unless he is lying.

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
It has nothing to do with "jealousy". At best, it has everything to do with fairness. At worse, it has everything to do with the possible and unlawful subversion of a system that was intended, designed and repeatedly proclaimed - even by Tony Tan himself - to be fair to one and all.

It doesn't have and couldn't have anything to do with fairness. Re-read my personal example. There'd be people doing tougher jobs and there'd be people doing softer jobs, regardless of who's your father.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. This goes to the heart of National Service which impacted every male Singaporean and their families. There are so many things just for this case alone that requires clear answers.
Whatever it is, an open inquiry must be held to look into this two-egg-in-kway teow privilege and preferential treatment for him.

DoctorEvil

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have never heard of such a policy for citizens unless the policy was introduced after I left which was many years ago. Policies for PR tend to be different (better?) as compared to non-white horsed citizens. As a matter of fact, my unit, a combat battalion, had at least three past that 28 age who returned to serve.

Served as in go through OCS/SISPEC/BMT or as in already trained and merely taking up a non-combat position in the unit? 28 is the magic number for new male citizens, according to people from CMPB. 28 is considered too old for BMT/SISPEC/OCS. That I am sure at least in 2005 when my ex-M'sian colleague took up Singapore citizenship. He checked very carefully with CMPB. LOL

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
It doesn't have and couldn't have anything to do with fairness. Re-read my personal example. There'd be people doing tougher jobs and there'd be people doing softer jobs, regardless of who's your father.

The "White Horse" policy would not see the light of day if the NS world were all that fair and rosy. That "tougher" and "softer" job is just one of the key issues amongst several that have been raised and they be best answered in an open inquiry.

If Tony Tan and his son have nothing to hide, there is nothing to fear.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
One assumes that housemanship is also done prior to registration. Agree with your comment that he has no intention to be one.

You are mistaken. An MBBS or MD is not enough for a person to be registered as a doctor. You need to fulfill a 1-year housemanship or residency requirement (and board exams in America) before you can register as a doctor. Most doctors mention in their CV the place where they complete their housemanship/residency. It is quite clear from Patrick Tan's CV that he did nothing of that sort. Neither residency with an American hospital nor a housemanship with a Singapore hospital. It is quite clear from his CV that he did not complete his training to be what we would acknowledge as a full-fledged doctor. I suspect that he had no intention of becoming a qualified medical practitioner.

DoctorEvil

Alfrescian
Loyal
One assumes that housemanship is also done prior to registration. Agree with your comment that he has no intention to be one.

If you read TT's statement, he says that his son disrupted for 'medical studies', not 'medical training'. He is being very very careful with his words and hoping no one notices the difference.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. I wonder if he made the application for medicine but left the details out. Either that he changed programme after admission which is quite common.
If you read TT's statement, he says that his son disrupted for 'medical studies', not 'medical training'. He is being very very careful with his words and hoping no one notices the difference.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
The "White Horse" policy would not see the light of day if the NS world were all that fair and rosy. That "tougher" and "softer" job is just one of the key issues amongst several that have been raised and they be best answered in an open inquiry.

If Tony Tan and his son have nothing to hide, there is nothing to fear.

Tony and son have indeed nothing to hide or fear. What's your problem anyway? I've just said in NS nothing is fair and nothing could be fair. There'd be tougher jobs and softer jobs. Even some rich men's sons got tougher jobs. Even some poor men's son got softer jobs. What enquiry? Everybody wants a softer job. If you get it, good. If you don't get it, just do it and get it over and done with.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Parliamentary Select Committee Hearing 2011
The Patrick Tan Beng Ooi National Service Liability Matter
Terms of Reference

A. Matter of Deferment
1) Was his deferment from NS done in accordance with policy and accepted practice at that time.
2) Did his application for deferment follow his course of academic study
3) Who are individuals and parties involved in approving his application and did it follow the normal practice.
4) Who are those granted similar deferment for that and prior years and the details of their deferment

B. Matter of Subsequent Deployment
1) Who gave the instruction as claimed by Dr Patrick Tan and on what basis was that instruction given
2) Who handled the matter of his rank and vocation status and on what basis
3) Are there others in the same cohort or prior that followed a similar path
4) What was his status in DSA and the National Cancer Centre

C. Matter in regard to his Reservist Obligation
1) Identify his entire reservist activity and to determine if it falls within the policy and practice
2) Identify the individuals or parties if (2) was not within policy and practice and the reasons for the deviation

D. Special Instruction to the Committee
1) Committee is to disregard all matters that occur after any precedent set by Dr Patrick Tan involving other individuals. It is well known that corrupt regimes tend to normalise bad or unauthorised activity by legistimising by offering similar privileges to other after the unauthorised precendence is set.
2) 2 eggs in one plate of Char Kway Yeow is not an acceptable argument in any one of the above mentioned matters.

Last edited: