• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Barclays Premier League Season 2011/2012

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: The world most expensive bench warmer is pretty choosy

Extra Time: Liam Gallagher bursts in on press conference to celebrate Manchester City's derby win

Former Oasis star, who will feel that his beloved side's 1-0 victory may 'Live Forever' in the memory, surprised journalists by walking in on the post-match interviews

May 1, 2012 12:40:00 AM

By George Ankers

183097hp2.jpg

Notorious Manchester City fan Liam Gallagher must have felt like he was 'Standing on the Shoulder of Giants' as he watched his beloved side beat Manchester United 1-0 in their crucial derby showdown.

The former Oasis star drew plenty of attention by striding triumphantly into the post-match press conference at the Etihad Stadium.

Perhaps fuelled by 'Cigarettes and Alcohol', Gallagher cast his Beady Eye over the assembled journalists (who seemed fine to 'Roll With It') before delivering his verdict on the temper-driven clash between managers Roberto Mancini and Sir Alex Ferguson as tensions rode high towards the end of the game.

"He [Ferguson] must have been blinded by the lights. He must have been on the whisky too much," he announced to the stunned media, adding of City boss Mancini: "I love him. He's almost as cool as me."

As match-winner Vincent Kompany entered the room, Gallagher was not afraid to 'Go Let It Out', declaring: "He [Kompany] invited me to his box. He scored a blinder, his family is mega and his sister is really cool. Nice one, bro. Vive le Belgium!"

Clearly not a man who understands ‘the Importance of Being Idle’, the musician was not only causing a stir in front of the press.

After the game, Gallagher tweeted a picture of himself alongside a special guest at the game – 'Some Might Say' the game’s greatest ever player, Diego Maradona.

"Maradona shaking the hand of God," the 39-year-old captioned the image, with typical modesty, in the wake of a triumph that means that City will ... er, 'Definitely Maybe' go on to win the Premier League.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

182465_thumb.jpg

Podolski: I am here to win titles with Arsenal
The German is convinced he has made the right choice in signing for the Gunners, and says the prospect of joining another German club other than Koln was out of the question

169807_thumb.jpg

Former Arsenal defender Sol Campbell announces retirement
After making his debut for Tottenham 20 years ago and featuring in six major tournaments, the ex-England man has made the "very dificult" decision to hang up his boots

183085_thumb.jpg

Joe Hart wrapped in cotton wool by Manchester City after injury scare
The England goalkeeper sat out training on Wednesday after suffering pain in his ankle following a clash with Chris Smalling in Monday's derby win over Manchester United

169674_thumb.jpg

Gutierrez excited for Newcastle's 'most important week for many years'
Argentine claims players returning from injury can play a big part in Magpies' quest for Champions League football, and insists the club are in a good position despite Wigan defeat

178189_thumb.jpg

Arsenal transfer has liberated Podolski, says Koln boss Schafer
The interim coach feels the finalising of the German's move to the Gunners has lifted a heavy burden off the striker's shoulders heading into the crunch clash with Bayern Munich

179688_thumb.jpg

Pogba's future at Manchester United to be decided next week - agent
Red Devils youngster is out of contract this summer and will choose between a new deal at Old Trafford and a lucrative free-transfer move to Juventus according to his agent

181622_thumb.jpg

Di Matteo confident of Chelsea claiming fourth place
Interim boss says his side don't deserve to be in the title race yet claims they are well set for the top-four, meanwhile denying anyone is distracted by Champions League final

179130_thumb.jpg

Silva: Manchester City are 'ready to win the title' after derby win
Spanish midfielder believes his team-mates are now more confident going into key clashes and insists Roberto Mancini won the battle of the bosses ahead of Monday's derby

183359_thumb.jpg

Tottenham make approach for Ajax star Vertonghen
The Belgium international has also attracted the attentions of Arsenal in recent months, and Spurs have swooped after having tracked the defender extensively

173788_thumb.jpg

Manchester City in pole position to sign Lille star Hazard
Roberto Mancini leads the race for the €37m-rated Belgian ahead of Manchester United and Tottenham, with the Etihad Stadium outfit stepping up their pursuit in recent weeks

183341_thumb.jpg

Tim Cahill believes the English Premier League looms as Brett Holman's 'biggest test'
Tim Cahill has backed his Socceroos team-mate to succeed at Aston Villa, but has warned of the challenge that lay ahead in the globe's most-watched competition

183085_thumb.jpg

Hart hails 'vibe' of Manchester City fans during derby
The England goalkeeper added that Roberto Mancini's side fully deserve to be top of the table, but insists the job isn't done yet as they travel to Newcastle on Sunday

183286_thumb.jpg

Dalglish blasts 'bad attitude' of his Liverpool squad as they crumble in Fulham defeat
The 61-year-old struggles to find any positives after the 1-0 loss at Anfield, before slamming his players' inadequate mentality ahead of this weekend's FA Cup final

174816_thumb.jpg

Redknapp unsure of Tottenham finishing in Champions League places
The Spurs boss believes that at this stage of the season results are so unpredictable that his side could end up in third place or in sixth come the end of the season

183240_thumb.jpg

West Brom chairman confirms club have begun hunt for Hodgson's successor
The 64-year-old will remain in charge for the final two matches of the Premier League season, but the Baggies also confirm they were trying to tie their boss down to a new contract

161383_thumb.jpg

Manchester United captain Vidic on course to return for start of next season
The Serbian defender has been out of action since December with a knee ligament injury and is set to take part in pre-season following recent improvement

183268_thumb.jpg

Comolli: I would sign Dempsey if I was at a top-six club
The former director of football at Liverpool admits he would be looking to sign the American if he was still at the club, citing his contract situation and fee as the reasons

156513_thumb.jpg

Liverpool are closely monitoring Luuk de Jong, says agent
The Netherlands international has attracted the interest of a number of top teams with his outstanding performances in the 2011-12 campaign

179625_thumb.jpg

Muamba to attend Bolton's clash with Tottenham
The midfielder will be in the stands for his side's Premier League match with Spurs, the side against which he was playing when he suffered a cardiac arrest two months ago

183058_thumb.jpg

'Tactics not to blame for derby defeat' - Former Manchester United midfielder Butt
The 37-year-old feels Sir Alex Ferguson was right to start the match with just one striker, and has refuted suggestions a lack of transfer activity has left the Red Devils short

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Former Arsenal defender Sol Campbell announces retirement

After making his debut for Tottenham 20 years ago and featuring in six major tournaments, the ex-England man has made the "very dificult" decision to hang up his boots

May 2, 2012 3:55:00 PM

By Edward Tibbles

169807hp2.jpg

Former England international defender Sol Campbell has announced his retirement from football at the age of 37, stressing that it was a "very difficult decision" to make.

Campbell featured for five different clubs, including Arsenal and Tottenham, and picked up 73 caps whilst making appearances in six major tournaments over his career.

Despite his credentials, he has been without a club since being released by Newcastle at the end of last season and has admitted that he put his retirement off.

"It was a very, very difficult decision to come to because it's hard to let go, especially when you have been a top sportsman for a long, long time," Campbell told Sky Sports News.

"It comes to all athletes around the world, you get to the age where your mind, your body and your spirit says enough is enough. You have to hang up your boots and call it a day.

"To get to my decision, it takes a long time. It is difficult for me to be here and say that's it, I'm not playing football on a professional level again.

"It takes a long time because of the work I have done over the years and being at the top, dedication, it's not easy to get to this. That's why I was putting it off for a long time."

"It was a very difficult decision because it's hard to let go, especially when you have been a top sportsman for a long, long time"
- Sol Campbell
65337_thumb.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>

Campbell revealed that he had received offers at the start of 2011-12 from sides in both the Premier League and the Championship but decided against joining either because of injury.

"I had a few offers at the beginning of the season," he added. "They were mostly southern-based. One was a Premiership club who was coming up and another one have actually gone up this year from the Championship.

"I had a foot injury so I couldn't even play football at the time. I wouldn't really have done myself justice or the team that were looking at me, so it was a difficult moment. When my foot was ready and fine, obviously people have moved on."

London-born Campbell made his professional debut for Tottenham at the age of 18 and stayed there for 10 years before ending his White Hart Lane career in controversial circumstances, moving to north London rivals Arsenal.

His time with the Gunners was the most successful of his career as he won two Premier League titles - most notably as part of the 'Invincibles' side which went through the whole 2003-04 season without defeat - and two FA Cup medals.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

179666_thumb.jpg

'I will always feel a Gunner' - Arsenal captain Van Persie
The Dutchman praised the club after receiving the Football Writers' Player of the Year award but admitted that talks over a contract extension have not yet been scheduled

179666_thumb.jpg

Arsenal captain Van Persie welcomes 'winner' Podolski
The Koln forward is set to join the Gunners at the end of the season and has been hailed as "a really good player" by the prolific Dutchman

182829_thumb.jpg

Van der Vaart wants Redknapp at Tottenham 'as long as possible'
The Netherlands international insists Spurs' dip in form had nothing to do with speculation surrounding the England job and hopes Bayern Munich beat Chelsea

115331_thumb.jpg

Manchester City interested in Cirigliano, claims agent
The 20-year-old has won over fans for his impressive performances this term, and after reported interest from PSG the English club have also emerged as potential suitors

183058_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson: Manchester City will find it difficult to win at Newcastle
The Manchester United manager believes Alan Pardew's side are in excellent form but concedes two more victories will secure the title for his city rivals

178083_thumb.jpg

Kaboul set to become next Tottenham star to sign new deal
The French defender is close to agreeing terms over a new long-term deal and his agent is due in London on Thursday for talks to extend the 26-year-old's stay at the club

183359_thumb.jpg

Tottenham an option for Vertonghen, says agent
The representative of the much sought-after centre-back hints that talks with the White Hart Lane outfit have taken place, despite Harry Redknapp refuting the claims

147442_thumb.jpg

Kyle Walker signs new Tottenham contract until 2017
England international extends his deal at White Hart Lane to cap a memorable season for the 21-year-old that has seen him named PFA Young Player of the Year

112623_thumb.jpg

Liverpool accounts reveal loss of nearly £50m
A massive £35 million was lost by the previous owners' plans for a new stadium, money which has been written off since the Fenway Sports Group's takeover

183157_thumb.jpg

Manchester United duo Welbeck and Evans ruled out of Swansea clash
Despite both players being hit with injury ahead of Sunday's Old Trafford game, it is hoped that the England international will be fit for the final domestic match and Euro 2012

175837_thumb.jpg

Tottenham will stick with Redknapp after ditching contingency plans
The Spurs boss missed out on the England job but is set to stay in charge at White Hart Lane even if the Londoners miss out on a place in next season's Champions League

183067_thumb.jpg

Mancini: Newcastle will be a harder game than Manchester United
Manchester City manager expects Sir Alex Ferguson's team to win both of their remaining games and has likened the fixture at the Sports Direct Arena to a "Champions League final"

178208_thumb.jpg

Juventus reject chance to sign Balotelli
The Italy international's agent has offered the flamboyant attacker to the Old Lady, but they have no intention to make a move for the former Inter starlet

183473_thumb.jpg

Muamba 'overwhelmed' by fans' backing
The Bolton midfielder has expressed his gratitude for the support he received on his emotional return to the Reebok Stadium 47 days after suffering a cardiac arrest

183519_thumb.jpg

Redknapp: I would love to keep Adebayor at Tottenham
The Togolese striker has been in good form at White Hart Lane this season and after notching a double against Bolton on Wednesday night, the Spurs boss is eyeing a permanent deal

181242_thumb.jpg

Di Matteo refuses to give up Chelsea's fight for top four finish
Blues boss defends his team selection after 2-0 at home to Newcastle all but extinguishes the club’s ambition of securing Champions League football through domestic campaign

179130_thumb.jpg

Silva: Manchester City must forget derby win
The Spaniard has called for his team-mates to focus on their two remaining games after Monday's 1-0 victory at Etihad Stadium sent them top of the Premier League

182546_thumb.jpg

Arshavin says leaving Arsenal was 'without a doubt the right decision'
The Russian midfielder has defended his decision to leave the Emirates temporarily returning back to his native country with Zenit St Petersburg for the second half of the season

175779_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson looking to loan out Manchester United youngsters
After watching the youth side clinch the Reserve League title, the Scottish manager has admitted that he will send out some of their promising players to taste first-team football

172879_thumb.jpg

Arsenal star Walcott aims to be less 'one-dimensional'
The 23-year-old forward insists that he is constantly looking to improve and has set his sights on bettering his finishing despite his eight Premier League goals this season

177865_thumb.jpg

Arsenal boss Wenger calls for Premier League 'ethics committee'
The Gunners manager cited recent incidents involving Shaun Derry and Mario Balotelli as evidence that justice does not prevail in the current disciplinary process

170209_thumb.jpg

Cup double would vindicate Liverpool season, insist Gerrard & Carragher
The Reds duo admit that Kenny Dalglish's men must improve their Premier League form but believe that lifting both the League and FA Cups would constitute success

175837_thumb.jpg

Redknapp: Tottenham will be positive against Bolton
Despite the race for Champions League football being closer than ever, the Spurs boss insists that his side will try to get all three points against the Trotters on Wednesday

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool accounts reveal loss of nearly £50m

A massive £35 million was lost by the previous owners' plans for a new stadium, money which has been written off since the Fenway Sports Group's takeover

May 3, 2012 1:50:00 PM

By Oliver Platt

112623hp2.jpg

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre has insisted that the Reds are now in "pretty good shape" financially despite the release of club accounts for the 2010-11 financial year revealing a £49.4 million loss.

The majority of that loss comes as a result of 'exceptional items', which cost the club £59m in total and included £8.4m spent on sacking Roy Hodgson.

Former owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, spent £35m on design, legal and administrative costs to cover their new stadium project run by Dallas-based architects HKS, which has been written off since the takeover by Fenway Sports Group.

"I guess people will focus on the loss of £49.4m and there's no business - or people running any business - who are going to be pleased with any loss," Ayre told the Liverpool Echo.

"A big chunk of that £50m loss relates to the HKS project - which is now defunct - and associated costs around that.

"With new ownership, that was kind of milling around within the club's accounts and there was a very definite need to move that out.

"So rather than dwell on it, we've very smartly made the decision to remove it from the club's accounts. It's a positive step forward.

"If we had not written off these extraordinary costs, we would have been looking at breaking even."

Some of Liverpool's signings - and the fees paid to acquire them - have been questioned this season but Ayre thought that the Reds had laid down solid foundations for the future.

"I think it shows there's been a significant commitment from the club to new players," he claimed.

"We're going to a cup final this week knowing we have got a much bigger and better squad than perhaps we had 12 months ago.

"And as well as all those players coming in, there were a significant number of players going out. Certainly our fans are very aware of the amount of transfer activity that went on through the transfer window.

"I think it's reflective of good and proper investment in the team."

Champions League football, Ayre added, remained Liverpool's goal and would be needed in order for the Reds to keep pace with the world's top clubs.

"We absolutely want it," Ayre explained. "We need it in the long term because if we want to be one of the biggest - or the biggest football club in the world - you have to be playing Champions League football.

"But as we've said before not having it isn't the end of LFC or the end of the world. We will survive and we will move on and we will get back there."

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

178100_thumb.jpg

Pete Nordsted: Expect Manchester United to make light work of Swansea
Pete is well in profit after two winning selections last week and he is expecting Sir Alex Ferguson's side to complete a comprehensive win at Old Trafford

183204_thumb.jpg

'Manchester United lack vital change of gear & cutting edge' - ex-Old Trafford defender Paul Parker
Former Red Devils defender fears that his former club will allow Manchester City to dethrone the Premier League champions after failing to deliver when it really mattered

180244_thumb.jpg

'My time at Chelsea has been the best of my life' - Drogba
The Ivorian forward has been widely linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge when his contract expires at the end of the season but has reiterated his love for the club

183268_thumb.jpg

Fulham boss Martin Jol: No club has made an approach for Dempsey
The Dutch manager says the Cottagers remain hopeful of extending the US international's contract and talked down potential interest in his side's topscorer

179666_thumb.jpg

'Van Persie can help Arsenal challenge for the title' - Wenger
The Frenchman insists that the Dutchman can help the Gunners' Premier League push next season should he decide to sign a new contract with the north London club

141178_thumb.jpg

Dalglish: Everyone at Liverpool is nervous about FA Cup final
The Scot insisted that his unbeaten run as Reds manager against Chelsea will have no effect on the outcome and talked up the credentials of the west London side

159230_thumb.jpg

Gaitan would like to play for Manchester United, claims agent
The Benfica midfielder has been regularly linked with a switch to Old Trafford in recent months, and the 24-year-old's representative has confirmed his interest in a move

170355_thumb.jpg

Balotelli has a fantastic career ahead of him but it all depends on him, says Inter director
The Serie A side's representative has spoken positively of the much-derided forward, claiming that the Italy international can go on to become a top player in the future

182285_thumb.jpg

Wenger: Arsenal pre-season Africa tour a sacrifice
The Frenchman has admitted that the visit to Nigeria will compromise some of his preparations for the new Premier League season but acknowledged the benefits

182462_thumb.jpg

Pardew wary of tough times ahead for Cisse at Newcastle
The 26-year-old has been in outstanding form since his January move but the Magpies manager insists his Senegalese striker will not always have things his own way

156725_thumb.jpg

Jones admits Manchester United are relying on Newcastle
The Red Devils defender is hoping that the Magpies can beat Manchester City on Sunday in order to hand his side a lifeline in the Premier League title race

174816_thumb.jpg

Redknapp: Tottenham are not looking to sell Bale and Modric
The White Hart Lane manager insisted the club must try to keep hold of their best players and revealed that he is yet to begin talks over a new contract with Spurs

177243_thumb.jpg

Meireles: I love Liverpool but Chelsea are my sole focus now
The Portugal international has spoken fondly of his time in Merseyside but has insisted that he will be as determined as ever to win his first piece of silverware with the Blues

170209_thumb.jpg

Liverpool do not rely on me in finals, insists Gerrard
The Reds' talisman has produced memorable big-game performances in the past, namely the 2005 Champions League climax, but feels that a team effort is needed to beat Chelsea

178493_thumb.jpg

Van Persie contract talks to start soon, says Arsenal boss Wenger
The Dutch striker, whose contract runs out at the end of next season, is being eyed by a number of teams ahead of the summer transfer window but his boss is confident he will stay

145865_thumb.jpg

'Zero chance' of Andre Santos joining Botafogo, reveals agent
The 29-year-old Brazilian has failed to make his mark at the Emirates this season but he will not be returning home to link up with the Glorioso, according to his representative

183900_thumb.jpg

Roberto Martinez wins Barclays Manager of the Month for April
Everton striker Nikica Jelavic won the Barclays Player of the Month Award after scoring six goals in three league games last month

146293_thumb.jpg

Henderson: FA Cup underdog status suits Liverpool
As the countdown to the Wembley showpiece rumbles on and another chapter is added to the two clubs' rivalry, the Anfield midfielder believes that the pressure is on Chelsea

183085_thumb.jpg

Hart: Manchester City deserve to be top of Premier League
The England international fully believes that his side deserve to win the championship while other players in the team a due credit for their performances this season

180953_thumb.jpg

Manchester City announce switch to Nike sponsorship
The move from their current sponsors, Umbro, will take place at the start in two years and Blues chief James MacBeath hailed the deal as "a very important step forward"

183887_thumb.jpg

Chelsea announce Battersea stadium bid
The new ground would hold a larger capacity and is not too far from Stamford Bridge, although the club have admitted that no decision has been made on their current home

177234_thumb.jpg

Lampard: FA Cup triumph will spur Chelsea on to Champions League glory
Two finals in as many weeks will be the key to the Blues' season after stuttering domestic form, and the midfielder wants a confidence-boosting victory at Wembley to take to Munich

160609_thumb.jpg

'Manchester United are still the best club' - Roy Keane
The former Republic of Ireland international warns Manchester City they face a tough trip to Newcastle but feels the champions' draw at home to Everton could prove their downfall

142904_thumb.jpg

Hodgson wants to leave West Brom with a top-10 finish, says Brunt
With the Baggies boss staying at the Hawthorns for the two remaining games, the 27-year-old midfielder knows that his departing manager wants to end on a high note in the top half

121673_thumb.jpg

Aston Villa trio disciplined after nightclub altercation
James Collins, Chris Herd and Fabian Delph have all been fined by the club after being involved in a fracas on Tuesday morning after their end of season awards ceremony

176730_thumb.jpg

Bale is fantastic but will not leave Tottenham, says Mancini
The Italian is an admirer of the Welshman but has played down reports he could move to the Etihad Stadium and is instead concentrating on his side's final two games

160070_thumb.jpg

'Gerrard and Suarez are key for Liverpool if they want Wembley glory' - Gary McAllister
Saturday's showdown at Wembley sees two sides struggling for league form aim for FA Cup glory, and the former Reds player believes the Anfield stars need to perform

181478_thumb.jpg

Terry full of praise for Di Matteo ahead of FA Cup final
Saturday sees the first of two cup finals for the Blues, and the captain admits the interim manager has been "a revelation" since taking over from Andre Villas-Boas

131961_thumb.jpg

Molby insists Liverpool need to sign a new striker
The former Reds' midfielder believes that the performances of the club in cup competitions this season shouldn't detract from how poor and wasteful they have been in the league

177230_thumb.jpg

Mikel urges Chelsea to focus on cup double after league setback
The 25-year-old has implored his team-mates to forget about finishing in the top four after the side's defeat to Newcastle and instead concentrate on landing some silverware

169674_thumb.jpg

Gutierrez believes Newcastle can wreck Manchester City's title party
The Argentine winger has been a mainstay in Alan Pardew's side this season and believes that the table-toppers face as tricky an away test as they could find in the Magpies

182465_thumb.jpg

Podolski will be successful at Arsenal, says Littbarski
The former Germany international is confident that the Koln star will be able to live up to the expectations at his new club, and does not blame him for his decision to leave

172617_thumb.jpg

'Joe Hart is better than Iker Casillas' - David James
Former England and Manchester City shot-stopper believes Roberto Mancini's current custodian is the best in the world and can "do much more" than the Spaniard

140709_thumb.jpg

Jose Enrique: Liverpool winning the FA Cup would make up for failing to reach Champions League
The Spaniard believes that sealing a domestic double with victory over Chelsea on Saturday can help his team-mates forget about their failure to secure a top-four finish

146873_thumb.jpg

'Terry will not relish facing Suarez' - former Liverpool star Scales picks his FA Cup final key battles
Ex-Reds man also believes Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba and Jamie Carragher will play crucial roles in the Wembley showdown against Chelsea this weekend

182534_thumb.jpg

Downing targets Di Matteo revenge with Liverpool
The 27-year-old, then a youngster with Middlesbrough, was at Wembley to see the Italian score within just 42 seconds and ruin the Teesside club's FA Cup hopes

180957_thumb.jpg

Aguero voted Manchester City Player of the Year
The Argentina international also collected the Goal of the Season award whilst team-mates David Silva, Vincent Kompany and Denis Suarez gained recognition

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Saturday 5th May 2012

792107_33_preview.jpg

Di Matteo happy to win ugly

Roberto Di Matteo admitted he was not bothered if the FA Cup and Champions League finals were boring 1-0s - as long as it was 1-0 to Chelsea.

Caretaker Blues boss Di Matteo has been rewarded spectacularly for playing to his squad's strengths since replacing the sacked Andre Villas-Boas two months ago. Unlike Villas-Boas, the Portuguese's former assistant has had no qualms about grinding out victories when necessary.

And while that may not chime with owner Roman Abramovich's desire to see `Barcelona in blue shirts`, it has proven mightily effective. Throw in the extra tension of a cup final and it could be the best route to glory for Chelsea in the coming days.

Di Matteo said ahead of the FA Cup final with Liverpool: "Because it's a big game, nobody wants to lose, and there isn't really any chance to get back if you lose. "It might be one like that, yeah. "Two good teams and every game we've played against each other has been quite balanced."

Asked if he would take a 1-0 win both on Saturday and in the Champions League final a fortnight later, he added: "I'd sign any day." Chelsea have not exactly been dull under Di Matteo, winning their FA Cup semi-final against Tottenham 5-1 and thrashing QPR 6-1.

They also beat Napoli 4-1 in the Champions League, while their semi-final win over Barcelona could hardly be described as boring. Di Matteo said: "I think we've scored a lot of goals, to be honest. "Scoring goals, creating chances, it means you are playing in the right direction.

"But there is also time when you have to defend as a team. It can't be one-way. "It's always better to win. If you can win with some attractive style, that's probably perfection. "Maybe you should do a survey with the fans to see what they think about it.

"Winning is important. If you can do it with the way you think is best to win the games, it can entertain as well. "People come to watch football to be entertained at times."

It may be dull on the pitch but it will certainly be lively off it. There has long been enmity between Chelsea and Liverpool fans, not helped by the disgraceful disruption of a minute's silence by the former supporters for the Hillsborough disaster during last month's semi-finals.

It goes back further than that to when Abramovich first bought the Blues, with Liverpool supporters accusing them of buying their success and having no real history. Di Matteo said: "There is a big rivalry between Chelsea and Liverpool, yes.

"Our fans probably feel similar, if not the same, towards Liverpool." He added: "Every time we play them, they play very well against us. "They seem to raise their game against us. Because I guess they're playing against us. I've seen them playing against other teams, but they do their best against us."

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Saturday 5th May 2012

785130_33_preview.jpg

Premier League Weekend Team News

A round-up of team news ahead of this weekend's fixtures.

Arsenal vs Norwich

Arsenal midfielder Abou Diaby will miss out with a calf problem. South Korea forward Park Ju-young will be the only addition to the squad from the 1-1 draw at Stoke.

Norwich left-back Adam Drury (groin) is a doubt. Zak Whitbread (hamstring) remains sidelined, while fellow defenders Marc Tierney (groin) and Daniel Ayala (knee) are ruled out of the season. Captain Grant Holt and striker Simeon Jackson are pressing for recalls to the starting XI.

Aston Villa vs Tottenham

Stephen Ireland could return to Alex McLeish's Aston Villa side after recovering from a hip injury and a more recent hamstring problem but striker Emile Heskey (Achilles) is still a doubt. Defender James Collins and midfielder Chris Herd will wait to see if they are included in the starting line-up following their involvement in an incident at a nightclub in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker is making a good recovery from his ankle injury and should be fit. Kyle Walker broke a toe during Wednesday's win over Bolton but will play against Villa after having a pain-killing injection but Ledley King could miss out again with his knee problem.

Bolton vs West Brom

Bolton midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker will undergo a fitness test on a leg injury. Reo-Coker had a similar assessment before Wednesday's 4-1 home defeat against Tottenham and had to come off in the second half of that game. Wanderers boss Owen Coyle has confirmed Gretar Steinsson has been out of action with a thigh injury rather than illness and the defender remains a doubt, while midfielder Darren Pratley is still sidelined with a virus.

New England coach Roy Hodgson has no fresh injury problems for his penultimate match as West Brom manager. Midfielder James Morrison has resumed training after recovering from his knee problem. Striker Shane Long picked up a knock during the goalless draw with Aston Villa last weekend but should be available.

Fulham vs Sunderland

Andrew Johnson is one of several players ruled out by Fulham. The striker missed recent trips to Everton and Liverpool with an adductor injury and will not recover in time to feature on Sunday. Johnson will be joined on the sidelines by midfielders Simon Davies (hip), Steve Sidwell (hernia) and Bryan Ruiz (foot), while defender Zdenek Grygera (knee) remains out.

Sunderland defender John O'Shea and striker Nicklas Bendtner are fighting to be fit after both men picked up foot injuries in training this week. Midfielder Craig Gardner is available after serving a one-match ban and defender Titus Bramble (Achilles) is back in training but short of fitness.

Man Utd vs Swansea

Jonny Evans and Danny Welbeck have both been ruled out of Manchester United's final home game due to foot injuries. Anders Lindegaard (ankle) is available for the first time since January as the Red Devils look to retain their severely-damaged title hopes.

Leon Britton (knee) is a doubt for Swansea but Angel Rangel is set to return from a hamstring injury at Old Trafford. The problem kept the Spaniard out of last weekend's 4-4 draw with Wolves, but with Alan Tate (calf) also available, manager Brendan Rodgers is set to return to his favoured 4-3-3 formation.

Newcastle vs Man City

Newcastle midfielder Cheick Tiote will be fit despite suffering a nasty head injury in midweek. The Ivory Coast international needed seven stitches to repair a gash above his eye after a collision with John Obi Mikel in Wednesday night's 2-0 win at Chelsea. Full-back Danny Simpson (ankle) remains a doubt.

City boss Roberto Mancini may be tempted to stick with the starting line-up from Monday's crucial win over Manchester United, although Micah Richards and James Milner might both hope to be involved.

QPR vs Stoke

QPR are able to welcome back Adel Taarabt after the Morocco international missed last week's 6-1 thrashing at west London rivals Chelsea through suspension. Samba Diakite is a doubt as he struggles with a virus, although manager Mark Hughes hopes he will be an option for the Loftus Road encounter.

Thomas Sorensen will replace Asmir Begovic as Stoke goalkeeper to ensure he is match sharp ahead of the European Championships next month. Winger Jermaine Pennant (hamstring) and defender Andy Wilkinson (groin) remain doubtful after missing Tuesday's 1-1 draw with Everton while midfielder Rory Delap (back) is also struggling.

Wolves vs Everton

Wolves interim boss Terry Connor is hopeful on-loan Tottenham defender Sebastien Bassong will be fit after missing last weekend's 4-4 draw at Swansea with a hamstring injury and will be given a late fitness test. Winger Matt Jarvis had a tight groin at the Liberty Stadium but is confident he will be available as Wolves search for their first win under Connor at the 12th attempt.

Everton left-back Leighton Baines has been ruled out despite progressing well in his recovery from a hamstring problem. Forward Victor Anichebe is also missing after suffering a groin injury in midweek and joins midfielder Jack Rodwell (hamstring) on the sidelines. Versatile captain Phil Neville and midfielder Darron Gibson could be doubtful after suffering slight knocks.

Blackburn vs Wigan

Wide man Martin Olsson could return to the Blackburn starting XI after being on the bench for the last three games due to a niggling groin complaint. Bradley Orr (Achilles) will be assessed ahead of kick-off David Goodwillie will be in the squad despite being given a community service order earlier this week for assaulting a man in Glasgow. Defender Grant Hanley (knee) remains sidelined.

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has a full squad to choose from with striker Franco Di Santo free of a calf injury and defender Ronnie Stam (hamstring) also available.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

161393_thumb.jpg

Newcastle's Ba is confident his side will beat Manchester City
The Senegalese forward is full of confidence ahead of the crunch game on Sunday and insists his team can triumph over Roberto Mancini's team and wreck their title aspirations

183055_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson fears Manchester City will steal Manchester United's transfer targets
The Old Trafford boss has revealed his worry that the big-spending neighbours may outbid him for Luka Modric and Eden Hazard, who are on the top of his summer shopping list

183073_thumb.jpg

Manchester City & United face crunch Sunday in title race
Roberto Mancini's side travel to in-form Newcastle knowing they must secure all three points if they are to stay top of the table, with the Red Devils hosting Swansea afterwards

141191_thumb.jpg

Angel Rangel: Forget Sir Alex Ferguson & Mancini, Swansea boss Rodgers is the manager of the year
The defender praised the Northern Irishman's disciplined approach and is not surprised that he has been linked with a switch to Tottenham after an impressive season

179397_thumb.jpg

Attack, attack, attack: Lethal touch crucial as Manchester United look to claw back title deficit
Manchester City remain in pole position to claim their first title, but still face a tricky away fixture against an in-form Newcastle side, with goal difference still crucial

55289_thumb.jpg

Sir Trevor Brooking denies rift with Tottenham boss Redknapp
The FA director of football has strongly refuted claims that a 1994 West Ham-related fall-out between himself and the Spurs manager cost the latter the England job

184146_thumb.jpg

Old guard, new respect: Chelsea legends Terry, Cole, Lampard & Drogba deserve universal acclaim
They may not be the most popular bunch, but the senior Blues players' record speaks for itself and they should be remembered for the trophies - not the headlines

184050_thumb.jpg

The elusive dream: Arsenal latest to falter in stuttering race for Champions League qualification
Having won seven in a row when nobody was looking, the third-place spotlight fell upon the Gunners - and they have promptly imploded just like those who came before

169674_thumb.jpg

Gutierrez: Manchester City clash is Newcastle’s Champions League final
The Argentine believes the Magpies deserve to finish in the Premier League's top four this season and is confident of disrupting Roberto Mancini's side's title bid

184155_thumb.jpg

Terry: My loyalty to Chelsea has paid dividends
The experienced Blues defender has revealed his pride at learning the news of breaking the record, but was quick to commend his team-mates' part in the achievement

117602_thumb.jpg

Agger: Liverpool's FA Cup final performance 'not good enough'
The Denmark international has bemoaned the Reds' display at Wembley after Roberto Di Matteo's men dominated proceedings for the majority of the game on Saturday

184137_thumb.jpg

Wembley wonder: Drogba the man for the big occasion again as he fires Chelsea to FA Cup glory for a fourth time
The Ivorian forward continued his imperious form at the home of English football to shoot down Liverpool and lead his side to their first silverware since 2010

183512_thumb.jpg

Cech certain Carroll header did not cross the line as Chelsea win FA Cup
The 29-year-old is hoping the Blues push on and secure their second trophy of the season in the Champions League, while Drogba suggested it was one of his toughest finals yet

184141_thumb.jpg

FA Cup final officials deserve credit over Carroll goal-line decision, says Dalglish
The striker saw his second-half header clawed from underneath the bar by Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech, while replays were unable to confirm whether the ball crossed the line

184153_thumb.jpg

Di Matteo 'honoured' after FA Cup triumph: Players made Chelsea proud
Interim boss enjoyed the "unique" feeling of winning the trophy as part of the playing and coaching staff, and felt that the best team won in the end despite Liverpool's fightback

184149_thumb.jpg

'This is what we live for' - Terry jubilant after Chelsea’s FA Cup triumph
The 31-year-old lifted the trophy for the fourth time in six years as his side held off a late Liverpool fightback in what he sees as the perfect response to their critics

141191_thumb.jpg

Swansea game 'dangerous' for Manchester United, says boss Rodgers
With Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini declaring that the Red Devils' game against the Swans will be "easy, the 39-year-old has refuted the claims, insisting the opposite

182284_thumb.jpg

Frustrated Wenger slams Arsenal's defensive frailty after 3-3 draw with Norwich
Gunners must now rely on others to drop points to be certain of Champions League qualification after late Morison strike snatches a point for the Canaries

181474_thumb.jpg

Manchester United will fight until the end for the title, says Chicharito
Manchester City gained the advantage in the title race with a derby win on Monday, but the Mexican insists the Red Devils will not give up their league crown easily

162418_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson, Phelan and Moyes at Crewe to watch Powell - report
Premier League managers go to Gresty Road to run the rule over the League Two teenager who has attracted plenty of interest in his short time in professional football

128408_thumb.jpg

Home advantage will help Newcastle against Manchester City, says Pardew
The Magpies' manager believes a feverish Sports Direct Arena can give his side a boost as they host Roberto Mancini's table-toppers and wants to add City to their list of scalps

183067_thumb.jpg

Mancini: FA Cup derby defeat was pivotal in Manchester City's season
Italian insists his side gained confidence from troubling United with 10 men in defeat at the Etihad and is aware of the threat posed by Sunday's opponents, Newcastle

121666_thumb.jpg

McLeish furious with trio of Aston Villa players drunk in nightclub
The Scot says he feels angry, frustrated and disappointed with James Collins, Fabian Delph and Chris Herd after the three men were spotted on a night out without permission

183286_thumb.jpg

Dalglish: I owe Liverpool more than they owe me
Kop legend confesses that an FA Cup win on Saturday would only begin to repay what he feels he has to bring to his beloved club after a disappointing league campaign

183058_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson: Everton game may have cost Manchester United the title
Red Devils had a comfortable eight-point cushion over local rivals Manchester City just four games ago and the Scot believes that the 4-4 draw with the Toffees was pivotal

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sir Alex Ferguson fears Manchester City will steal Manchester United's transfer targets

The Old Trafford boss has revealed his worry that the big-spending neighbours may outbid him for Luka Modric and Eden Hazard, who are on the top of his summer shopping list

May 6, 2012 9:21:00 AM

By Chris Butterworth JR

183055hp2.jpg

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is worried that big-spending neighboursManchester City will beat him to his two main summer targets as he looks to rejuvenate his squad.

Sir Alex has placed Tottenham’s Luka Modric and Lille’s Eden Hazard at the top of his shopping list, but is well aware the two players, who would cost a combined £65 million, are also being coveted by United's bitter rivals.

The Red Devils' boss has confirmed he will be looking to secure the signings of three players in the summer, as Darren Fletcher is still struggling will illness and veteran pair Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes are fast approaching 40.

Manchester City have history when it comes to beating rival clubs to players, thanks to their financial muscle in the transfer market. Samir Nasri was close to moving to Old Trafford but was swayed by City’s offer of £175,000 a week. City also secured the signatures of James Milner and Gareth Barry from right under the noses of Chelsea and Liverpool, respectively.

Sir Alex told The Mail on Sunday: “‘No one can match City’s financial power, no one. The transfer market has been insane for a while and I think clubs like City create that. They can buy all the players, and put a marker on all the players, it makes it difficult then for clubs to be reasonable.

“There’s no doubt we’ll be bringing players in. Maybe two or three, it depends on the kind of market we’re dealing with. We have to accept the situation, so we do it a different way.

“We will try and look at younger players with the potential to develop at the club. That is what we are good at. Scholes and Giggs are coming to the end. Players like them don’t fall off trees.”

With Hazard being watched by so many of Europe’s biggest clubs, including Tottenham and Chelsea, the United boss may reportedly turn his attention to Argentine playmaker Nicolas Gaitan of Benfica.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

184322_thumb.jpg

Djibril Cisse confident QPR can 'finish the job' against Manchester City
French striker believes his side will survive on the last day of the season after late drama on Sunday saw them snatch a victory against Stoke City at Loftus Road

183058_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson still hopeful about Manchester United's title chances after Swansea victory
The 70 year-old boss believes that their rivals still have to navigate a potentially tricky away game against relegation-threatened QPR and that the league race is not yet over

175837_thumb.jpg

Tottenham manager Redknapp insists it is still all to play for in race for Champions League finish
Former West Ham boss was buoyant following the draw with Aston Villa but claims they must beat Fulham in their final game if they are to finish in the all-important fourth spot

172677_thumb.jpg

Carrick after Swansea victory: Manchester United will not give up on title
The former Tottenham player has refused to concede the title to the Red Devils' rivals, instead he is looking forward to a dramatic final day and their trip to Sunderland

184268_thumb.jpg

Mancini 'excited' by Manchester City victory over Newcastle but insists title race is not over
The 47-year-old also hailed the role of double goalscorer Yaya Toure in Sunday's win, while warning his player that relegation-threatened QPR will be no pushover

184315_thumb.jpg

Pardew insists Newcastle have regained 'respect' after Champions League setback
Magpies boss insists while his team's Champions League chances are up in the air, his players have restored pride at a club ridiculed following relegation three years ago

184303_thumb.jpg

Yaya Toure believes Manchester City have one hand on the Premier League trophy
The midfielder scored both goals in the Blues’ 2-0 victory at Newcastle on Sunday but insists the title race is not over, and team-mate Joleon Lescott is calling for focus

184171_thumb.jpg

Lampard hails 'special' FA Cup win for Chelsea
The 33-year-old remained coy on his side's chances in the Champions League final, but was quick to praise the roles of Didier Drogba and Roberto Di Matteo in recent weeks

183359_thumb.jpg

Vertonghen: Tottenham are not my only option
The Ajax skipper has stated that a number of clubs are interested in signing him this summer, and the defender seems to favour a move to the Premier League

184121_thumb.jpg

Gerrard: Liverpool are better than eighth in the Premier League
The Reds captain has told his team-mates to accept criticism and bounce back next season, while suggesting his side deserved extra time in the FA Cup final

184303_thumb.jpg

Unstoppable Yaya Toure drives Manchester City to within inches of the Premier League title
The Ivorian delivered another majestic performance in one of Roberto Mancini's team's biggest games of the season, scoring two goals to guide them past Newcastle United

110730_thumb.jpg

Liverpool were ‘a day away’ from administration, says Purslow
The 48-year-old has defended the new American owners, stating that fans must be patient to reap the rewards, but has critisised the delay in confirms plans for a new stadium

180880_thumb.jpg

McClaren: Luuk de Jong is perfect for the Premier League
The Twente boss feels the Netherlands international has what it takes to succeed in the English top flight, but the club's president insists the striker won't move on the cheap

160078_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson: Berbatov not leaving Manchester United on the cheap
Sir Alex insists that Manchester United wont allow Dimitar Berbatov to leave for nothing and adds veterans Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes will remain at the club next season

184157_thumb.jpg

Cech: FA Cup win is perfect preparation for Champions League final
The Czech goalkeeper feels that Chelsea's cup win puts them in good stead as they prepare to face Bayern Munich in the Champions League final at the Allianz Arena

158581_thumb.jpg

Van der Vaart urges Vertonghen to join Tottenham
The Dutchman has expressed his desire for the Belgian defender to transfer to White Hart Lane and believes a deal is close

170061_thumb.jpg

Chelsea wanted Schurrle last year, claims Voller
The former Germany international has revealed that the Premier League side attempted to sign the attacker in 2011, and added that they won't let go of the forward this summer

139618_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Evra is hoping for one more twist before the title is decided
The Old Trafford stand-in captain believes his side can still win the championship if they beat Swansea, and also hopes there will be another surprise before the end of the season

184072_thumb.jpg

Arsenal defender Sagna blames Norwich's Johnson for his broken leg
The Gunners' French right-back has blasted the midfielder after a tackle left him with a damaged fibula in his right leg, and believes he did it intentionally

177550_thumb.jpg

Pardew considering building prayer rooms at Newcastle's stadium for Muslim stars
Toon manager says there are plans to create purpose-built religious rooms at the Sports Direct Arena and the club's training facility where Ben Arfa, Cisse and Ba can pray

140552_thumb.jpg

Wigan want £10m for Moses - report
The Latics have set out their stall as speculation mounts on the future of the talented young Nigerian winger but Roberto Martinez admits he won't stand in his way

170808_thumb.jpg

De Gea: We have only ourselves to blame
The Manchester United goalkeeper is in no doubt his side have been at fault for their recent slip ups and is hoping Newcastle can assist in helping them regain top spot

115355_thumb.jpg

Zabaleta: Manchester United double means nothing without title
The Argentine defender has warned his team-mates that their successes over their neighbours will be rendered meaningless should they not go on to capture the Premier League crown

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

799002_10_preview.jpg

Keep calm and carry on for Mancini
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has ordered his players to keep calm and carry on as they close in on the Barclays Premier League title.

798996_10_preview.jpg

Report: Arsenal gunning for Dempsey
Fulham are braced for a summer bidding war from Arsenal and Liverpool for their American hotshot Clint Dempsey, according to reports.

798971_10_preview.jpg

Dalglish position not guaranteed
Former managing director Christian Purslow believes that the Liverpool owners are not too impressed with manager Kenny Dalglish's emotional links to the club.

798225_10_preview.jpg

McLeish expects to stay at Villa
Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish insists he expects to remain in charge of the club for next season despite the negative reaction of some supporters.

728389_10_preview.jpg

Pardew retains UCL hope
Alan Pardew refused to give up on Newcastle's Champions League dream despite seeing his side beaten 2-0 by Manchester City on Sunday.

797955_10_preview.jpg

Dalglish happy with Carroll contribution
Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish believes Andy Carroll's army of critics need to start rewriting history.

798900_10_preview.jpg

Lampard: Drogba is a machine
Frank Lampard admitted Didier Drogba was irreplaceable after the pair combined again to fire Chelsea to FA Cup glory.

798894_10_preview.jpg

RDM: Blues shine through adversity
Chelsea boss Roberto di Matteo has admitted if he had lost his first game as interim boss at Birmingham in March, the club's entire campaign could have imploded.

798890_10_preview.jpg

Drogba denies saying farewell
Didier Drogba insisted he had not been saying farewell to Wembley after helping Chelsea secure FA Cup glory yet again.

798888_10_preview.jpg

Gunners over reliant on Van Persie
Arsene Wenger has challenged his Arsenal squad to stand up and be counted and not just rely on Robin van Persie firing them into the Champions League.

783633_10_preview.jpg

Fergie: Hughes could return to haunt City
Sir Alex Ferguson believes the "unethical" manner of Mark Hughes' sacking by Manchester City could open Barclays Premier League title door for Manchester United.

795125_10_preview.jpg

Fergie: We still have chance to win title
Sir Alex Ferguson hoped that Red Devils' fans would "have the biggest celebration of their lives" next week after the 2-0 win over Swansea at Old Trafford on Sunday.

798761_10_preview.jpg

Redknapp: We won't give up on CL spot
Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp insists there is still "all to play for" in the battle for a Champions League spot despite his side being held to a 1-1 draw at Aston

797753_10_preview.jpg

Wenger: We need to improve defence
Arsene Wenger accepts Arsenal cannot afford another poor defensive display if they are to finally secure third place in the Premier League.

798225_10_preview.jpg

Club legend Withe wants to manage Villa
Aston Villa legend Peter Withe has admitted he wants to manage the club on the very day that fans plan to protest against current boss Alex McLeish.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

184137_thumb.jpg

Didier Drogba's agents to meet with Shanghai Shenhua owner - report
The Ivory Coast striker's good recent form has boosted his hopes of a new Blues deal, however Chinese media are reporting his agents will meet with the big-spending Shanghai side

133206_thumb.jpg

Lee Chung-Yong thanks Bolton fans for popular reception upon first-team return
The popular South Korean said his leg feels much better after making his Premier League return on Sunday after a long-term absence following the pre-season injury

154936_thumb.jpg

Martinez will leave Wigan for a top European club - Whelan
The Latics chairman is hopeful the Spaniard will remain at the DW Stadium for another few years, and revealed his disappointment to see Blackburn relegated to the Championship

176937_thumb.jpg

Kean believes he will keep Blackburn job despite relegation
The Scot admitted that his squad were "devastated" following the defeat to Wigan which sealed their fate but is targeting promotion from the Championship next season

124153_thumb.jpg

Bolton defender Wheater ruled out for nine months
Scans have revealed that the former Middlesbrough centre-back ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament during Sunday's 2-2 Premier League draw with West Brom

176937_thumb.jpg

Blackburn Rovers relegated from the Premier League
Steve Kean's men have dropped to the Championship for the first time since 1999 after failing to beat Lancashire rivals Wigan at Ewood Park on Monday night

152215_thumb.jpg

Manchester United & City target Hazard: I'll be wearing blue next season
The coveted Belgian winger, who is reported to be on the wish list of top teams all over Europe, has hinted he will opt for Roberto Mancini's side over the Red Devils

113614_thumb.jpg

Mignolet pleased to make Sunderland return despite Fulham defeat
The Belgium international had been rested for his side's draw with Bolton last weekend but produced some fine stops as the Mackems lost out to Martin Jol's men

172675_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Pogba accepts Juventus offer
The French teenager has spent over a month considering his future at Old Trafford but he is now poised to sign a four-year contract with the newly-crowned champions of Italy

184149_thumb.jpg

Chelsea set for friendly clash with PSG at Yankee Stadium
The Champions League finalists will also meet Italian giants AC Milan, MLS franchise Seattle Sounders and an MLS all-star XI in their four game tour across the Atlantic.

170061_thumb.jpg

No contact from Chelsea, claims Schurrle
Germany international attacker hints that he could be interested in a move to Stamford Bridge but has received no communication from the Champions League finalists

179476_thumb.jpg

'I have plenty of energy left' - Chelsea attacker Mata
Spanish playmaker claims that, despite getting used to the long, draining English season in his first campaign since joining from Valencia, winning alleviates any fatigue

152838_thumb.jpg

Agger seeks to relieve Liverpool's cup-final disappointment
Reds' 2-1 defeat to Chelsea in Saturday's FA Cup final has left the Danish defender wounded but determined to bounce back with a strong end to the Premier League season

179460_thumb.jpg

Manchester United announce pre-season tour of Norway
Red Devils will take to Oslo for the first time in 10 years over the period in between seasons, where they will face Valerenga to prepare for the 2012-13 Premier League

141555_thumb.jpg

Redknapp eyes 'bold' summer signings at Tottenham
Spurs manager admits to feeling the "strain" of a busy season both on and off the pitch but is hoping to secure the club's top-four future at the end of the Premier League term

184324_thumb.jpg

Yaya Toure aims to make history with Manchester City
Ivorian midfielder has been a key figure in his side's title push this season, and has his eyes on the prize ahead of their "tough" game on the final day against QPR

139738_thumb.jpg

Fulham midfielder Murphy plays down England talk
Cottagers captain dismisses rumours of a return to the national set-up following reports that his former manager Roy Hodgson may be considering taking him to Euro 2012

139618_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's empire is not crumbling, insists Evra
Reigning champions are in need of a favour from QPR or their slim hopes of retaining their title are over, but they'll be back in contention next year, says their French skipper

112611_thumb.jpg

Perch still confident of Newcastle clinching a Champions League place
Magpies defender admits results will have to go their way to secure European football on Tyneside next season and believes club have made huge strides in this campaign

145864_thumb.jpg

Coquelin: Arsenal players disappointed after Norwich City draw
Gunners midfielder admits that his side have to win final-day fixture against West Brom to secure Champions League football next season and is still annoyed over Saturday's result

184154_thumb.jpg

Lampard and Terry desperate for Drogba to stay at Chelsea
The Blues duo want the Ivorian international to remain at Stamford Bridge and are hopeful he will be offered a new deal to extend his stay in west London

184121_thumb.jpg

Gerrard insists Liverpool will 'strengthen' after FA Cup disappointment
The England international claims that, despite winning the League Cup and reaching the FA Cup final, the season has been a failure and maintains his team must do better next year

184156_thumb.jpg

Terry adamant he didn't snub Bernstein at FA Cup final
Chelsea skipper insists he didn not refuse to shake the FA chairman's hand in the Wembley pre-match build-up after being stripped of the England captaincy earlier this season

184248_thumb.jpg

'Arsenal the best fit for me' - Podolski reveals reasons for joining Arsene Wenger's side
German international admitted he was not short of offers after deciding he wanted to leave Koln but believes the Gunners were the standout option because of their reputation

183640_thumb.jpg

Newcastle unlucky to lose against Manchester City, says Krul
Dutch keeper disappointed with defeat to Roberto Mancini's side after matching them for most of the game but admits Yaya Toure's two strikes were of the highest quality

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Warnock Meets Diouf

1606418701cf6dde0b8159ee799a8dfaaa19f423.jpg

Leeds United manager Neil Warnock has refused to rule out making a move for El-Hadji Diouf despite having labelled the controversial striker a 'sewer rat' during his time managing QPR last season.

Diouf recently expressed his desire to join the Elland Road side on a free transfer and believes if given the chance he could establish an effective strike partnership with Luciano Becchio stating: 'Becchio is a good, intelligent player. I'm sure he and I could link up well at Leeds. It would be ideal for me.'

The move would come as a surprise to some considering the bad blood between Diouf and Leeds boss as a result of an incident during QPR's FA Cup clash with Blackburn last January in which Warnock accused the Senegal star of abusing Jamie Mackie while he lay on the pitch with a broken leg.

However when speaking to Sky Sports News Warnock would not be drawn on the reports linking Diouf with a move to Leeds stating: 'You can keep asking me all day but I've said all along we're not going to say anything about speculation.'

'I am hoping to sign my first player tomorrow so that will be the first time I admit to talking to anyone. I'm at Leeds United. It's a club I'm going to do the best I can to bring the right players into the club and you'll have to wait to see if he is one of those targets or not.'

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

184324_thumb.jpg

'I would love to return to Barcelona and finish my career there' - Yaya Toure
The Cote d'Ivoire international spent three years at Camp Nou before making the switch to Manchester City and has admitted interest in making a return to Catalunya

184324_thumb.jpg

Yaya Toure is Manchester City's Ruud Gullit, claims Mancini
The Italian has lauded the experience the Ivorian brings having lifted seven major trophies in just three years at Barcelona, insisting he is "one of the best players in Europe"

184671_thumb.jpg

Heerenveen pair Narsingh and Assaidi on Fulham radar
Martin Jol is eager to tie up a deal for the talented Eredevise duo ahead of next season's Premier League campaign, amid doubts over Clint Dempsey's future

183067_thumb.jpg

'We have two fingers on the trophy' - Mancini refusing to celebrate Manchester City title triumph just yet
Italian claims there is no pressure on his side amid suggestions from Sir Alex Ferguson that they could lose their nerve, but says there will be no premature parties at the Etihad

163836_thumb.jpg

Mancini, Pardew and the nominees for Goal UK's Manager of the Season
The man behind Newcastle's unlikely push for a top four place and Manchester City's Italian tactician are among those in the running to win our end of season award

184783_thumb.jpg

John Terry switches off a week early as Liverpool blow Chelsea's top four chances away
The Blues captain had a horrendous night in Tuesday's 4-1 defeat at Anfield and his absence from the Champions League final may not be as important as first feared

184795_thumb.jpg

Red & waiting: Liverpool's next generation impress as Anfield old guard begin to bow out
Following stellar performances from Shelvey, Henderson and Carroll against Chelsea on Tuesday, the Reds can take heart despite the imminent departure of Rodriguez and Kuyt

183060_thumb.jpg

Manchester City will offer Mancini new €18.5m three-year contract when season finishes
New deal from club's Abu Dhabi owners is irrespective of whether City win Premier League title and could be signed within a fortnight

169548_thumb.jpg

Tottenham beat Arsenal to €10m signing of Ajax defender Vertonghen
Belgian centre-back has told the Dutch club he wants to move to White Hart Lane and the deal is expected to be agreed by end of the week

152327_thumb.jpg

Van Persie is one of 'the most complete players' around, admits Juventus director Marotta
The 57-year-old Italian is a huge fan of the Dutchman but he hinted that whether the Bianconeri move for the forward could hinge on the future of Marco Borriello

183402_thumb.jpg

Anderlecht's Biglia claims contact with Real Madrid and Arsenal
The 26-year-old Argentina international is under contract until 2015 but he will be allowed to leave during the upcoming transfer window if a club meets his buyout clause

184795_thumb.jpg

‘I’ve been through a lot’ – Liverpool striker Carroll pleased to end season on a high
The £35 million man was impressive despite failing to score in the Reds' 4-1 rout of Chelsea, while Jordan Henderson was delighted to grab his first goal since August

184779_thumb.jpg

Dalglish hails 'unplayable' Carroll & praises Liverpool fans
The Reds ran out 4-1 winners against Chelsea at Anfield on Tuesday evening, with the Scotsman also noting the role of goalscorers Shelvey and Henderson in the victory

171857_thumb.jpg

Di Matteo praises 'inspired' Liverpool
The Chelsea boss hailed Kenny Dalglish's men after suffering a heavy defeat at Anfield which leaves the Blues' Champions League hopes resting on the upcoming final in Munich

139455_thumb.jpg

Mikel enjoying more expressive role under Di Matteo
The Nigerian has hailed the impact the former West Brom coach has had on his Chelsea career after establishing himself as a regular during the club’s recent run of form

155103_thumb.jpg

Adebayor: Tottenham deserve a top-four finish this season
Togolese striker is gunning for three points against Fulham on the last day of the Premier League season, and praises his side’s character after their 1-1 draw at Villa Park

141625_thumb.jpg

Lukaku eyeing summer loan move from Chelsea
The young forward does not regret moving to Stamford Bridge last summer despite failing to establish himself, but is keen for a temporary switch away to get regular playing time

143848_thumb.jpg

Mertesacker feeling settled after overcoming 'tough' opening to Arsenal career
The Germany international is proud to represent the Gunners but admitts that he struggled to adjust to the Premier League following his move from Werder Bremen last summer

176711_thumb.jpg

Assou-Ekotto wants Tottenham exit if they miss out on Champions League
28-year-old left-back reveals that he has "a gentleman’s agreement" with chairman Daniel Levy which would enable him to leave if a top European side came calling in the summer

184017_thumb.jpg

Benayoun to decide Chelsea future after Arsenal loan spell
The 32-year-old has shone in recent weeks with a number of impressive performances but is due to go back to Stamford Bridge soon following his season-long stint at the Emirates

184324_thumb.jpg

Yaya Toure: Mancini is an unbelievable manager
Ex-Barcelona midfielder praisea the Italian tactician for giving the squad the confidence to overtake Manchester United, and is keen to make history by winning the title

159387_thumb.jpg

Manchester City consider Belhanda as Hazard alternative - report
Roberto Mancini's side are looking at Montepellier's talented Moroccan playmaker as a fall-back option should they fail to sign the in-demand Lille man this summer

140615_thumb.jpg

Walcott fit to face West Brom - report
The Gunners look set to be boosted with the news of the winger’s return from injury in time for the crunch game that will decide the club's European fate for next season

154936_thumb.jpg

Whelan hopes for Martinez stay but admits Wigan boss destined for greater things
Latics chairman would like the Spaniard to stay for "two or three years" but expects a bigger club to come calling before long, while he was sad to see Blackburn relegated

176940_thumb.jpg

Ashley Young: QPR could spoil Manchester City's title party
With Roberto Mancini's men heading to the relegation-threatened side on the final day, the Manchester United man feels that the London club can stop their rivals claiming the win

183058_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson: Manchester City's Italian approach served them well
The 70-year-old has lamented the recent dropped points against Everton as pivotal in the race to claim the league crown, and claimed shoring up at the back may have helped

143007_thumb.jpg

Van Marwijk interested in La Liga or Premier League job
In the build up to Euro 2012 the 59-year-old has stated his desire to work in one of Europe's top two leagues after he ends his reign as coach of the Oranje

155512_thumb.jpg

Arsenal reach agreement with Rennes over Yann M'Vila - report
The Gunners have agreed a deal worth €22 million for the French midfielder, it is claimed, who will join Lukas Podolski in London as Arsene Wenger looks to strengthen his squad

184674_thumb.jpg

South Korea's Park Chu-Young faces critical juncture after failed first season at Arsenal
The ex-South Korea skipper has managed just six appearances since his August move to London and needs an off-season transfer to boost his wavering reputation in his homeland

181517_thumb.jpg

Torres must return to form of Liverpool peak & prepare Chelsea for life without Drogba
34-year-old Ivorian has been preferred to his Spanish team-mate in the Blues' biggest matches this season, but might not remain at Stamford Bridge beyond the end of the campaign

183359_thumb.jpg

Ajax defender Vertonghen: Tottenham are my absolute favourite
The Belgium international would prefer a move to White Hart Lane over a switch to Arsenal and hopes a deal can be concluded with the Dutch club holding out for a large fee

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bosnia coach advises Dzeko to quit Manchester City

Having failed to score since February and being left out of the starting line-up for the last six games, the striker's national team coach urges him to move elsewhere

May 9, 2012 2:15:00 PM

By Ross Jackson

141507hp2.jpg

Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko has been advised by his international manager Safet Susicto leave the club.

Dzeko has not started a game for City since their 3-3 draw with Sunderland at the end of March and he hasn’t found the back of the net since February.

And the Bosnia national team coach Susic believes it is in the 26-year-old’s best interests that he departs the Etihad Stadium this summer in search of more regular first-team football.

"Dzeko's situation at Manchester City cannot last forever,” Susic told the Daily Mirror. “He knows what is best for him.

"It seems that Manchester City will win the title, which means Roberto Mancini and his staff will remain, and I saw that City are planning to bring in even more attacking players."

The Bosnian striker has not been short of potential suitors in the wake of him slipping down the pecking order at City.

Newly-crowned Italian champions Juventus are said to be interested in securing the 26-year-old’s signature this summer, though the striker’s agent, Silvano Martina, does not believe the Old Lady can afford him.

"Dzeko is a champion, although this season he has not done so well," Martina told reporters.

"The City striker costs too much, so no Italian club will deal with the English club to buy him now."

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

798894_10_preview.jpg

RDM to discuss future after UCL final
Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay reassured Roberto Di Matteo that no decision would be taken on his future until after the Champions League final.

775968_10_preview.jpg

Report: City could move for Belhanda
According to the Telegraph, Manchester City could bid for Montpellier's Younes Belhanda if talks with Lille's Eden Hazard fall through.

780242_10_preview.jpg

Report: Arsenal close in on M'Vila
The Telegraph reports that Arsenal are ready to shell out 17.7 million pounds for Rennes' Yann M'Vila.

800171_10_preview.jpg

Lescott: QPR will not be pushovers
Joleon Lescott is relishing Manchester City's biggest game for 44 years but insists it is nonsense to suggest they already have the Premier League title in the bag.

792211_10_preview.jpg

Chelsea trio sit out training session
Chelsea trained without David Luiz, Gary Cahill and John Obi Mikel ahead of Sunday's final Premier League game of the season against Blackburn.

555010_10_preview.jpg

O'Neill to ponder Meyler option
Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill has promised to address midfielder David Meyler's situation this summer.

798665_10_preview.jpg

QPR confident of City upset
QPR forward Jamie Mackie believes the club can defy the odds and upset Manchester City's title bid when the sides meet at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

800144_10_preview.jpg

Rio seeks Anton's help to beat City
Queens Park Rangers' Anton Ferdinand revealed that his brother Rio Ferdinand has pleaded with him to stop Manchester City from winning their Premier League game.

800123_10_preview.jpg

Ledley King set for knee operation
Tottenham defender Ledley King is facing a further knee operation in the summer as he looks to prolong his White Hart Lane career.

708783_10_preview.jpg

Brunt to miss Hodgson's last game
West Brom will be without skipper Chris Brunt for new England boss Roy Hodgson's final match in charge against Arsenal at the Hawthorns on Sunday.

779140_10_preview.jpg

Victor Moses ready to leave Wigan
Victor Moses is ready to quit Wigan Athletic this summer, his agent has confirmed.

736015_10_preview.jpg

No Rovers regret for league chief
Chief executive Richard Scudamore says the Premier League have no regrets about the Blackburn ownership issue.

661780_10_preview.jpg

Kean: I'm here to stay
Blackburn manager Steve Kean insists he and owners Venky's are staying long term while mystery surrounds the position of deputy chief executive Paul Hunt.

799891_10_preview.jpg

Blackpool earn play-off final spot
Blackpool sealed a showdown with West Ham in the npower Championship play-off final after an absorbing semi-final second leg with Birmingham at St Andrew's.

701935_10_preview.jpg

Mertesacker belief in Podolski power
Per Mertesacker believes Lukas Podolski can be a big hit in the Barclays Premier League with Arsenal.

762944_10_preview.jpg

Kean silent on Paul Hunt reports
Blackburn manager Steve Kean has refused to discuss reports claiming the club's deputy chief executive Paul Hunt has been sacked.

792110_10_preview.jpg

Di Matteo backs beleaguered Terry
Chelsea interim manager Roberto di Matteo has sprung to the defence of captain John Terry after questions were asked about the England defender's form.

799842_10_preview.jpg

Johnson: Reds building for future
Defender Glen Johnson believes Liverpool have to use their comprehensive demolition of Chelsea as a benchmark for next season.

761958_10_preview.jpg

Agustien close to Swansea deal
Swansea midfielder Kemy Agustien has revealed he is close to signing a new long-term deal and expects to be at full fitness for the start of next season.

799673_10_preview.jpg

Barton fires Man City warning
Queens Park Rangers captain Joey Barton is out to scupper former club Manchester City's Premier League dreams.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

121626_thumb.jpg

Avram Grant eyeing Premier League return with Bolton
The Partizan Belgrade coach could move to Reebok Stadium next season to replace Owen Coyle should the Trotters secure their stay in the Premier League

128900_thumb.jpg

Steve Bould to become new Arsenal assistant as Pat Rice announces retirement
The 63-year-old, who won four league titles and six FA Cups in more than four decades with the Gunners, will step down with the former defender being promoted to replace him

167203_thumb.jpg

Manchester United confirm Hernandez will not represent Mexico at Olympics
Sir Alex Ferguson claims the striker, who has struggled for form, will benefit from a full rest after representing his country in tournaments during two successive pre-seasons

159055_thumb.jpg

Tottenham defender King set for summer knee surgery
The centre-back's problems were heightened after a training-ground collision with a youth-team goalkeeper in February, and he is set to go under the knife yet again

159981_thumb.jpg

O'Shea: Winning at Sunderland will be a tough final day task for Manchester United
The defender tells his former team that the Black Cats have taken four points off Manchester City this season and are eager to secure a top 10 finish on Sunday

40023_thumb.jpg

Anton Ferdinand reveals brother Rio's plea for Manchester United title help
The Red Devils centre-back has been phoning his sibley to remind him what a positive Rs result could have on his side's title chances with the Rs meeting the Blues on Sunday

114112_thumb.jpg

Manchester United, City & Chelsea join race to sign £12m Dembele
The Belgian striker-turned-playmaker is regarded as a cut-price option by Premier League big guns ahead of summer scramble for his signature, with the Londoners willing to cash in

183070_thumb.jpg

Aguero hungry for more silverware at Manchester City with title in sight
With the league crown within reach going into the final game of the season, the 23-year-old Argentine insists that the only way is up for him and his team-mates

102506_thumb.jpg

Premier League confirm goal-line technology delay
Chief executive Richard Scudamore has revealed that any new technologies will not be in place in the English top flight until after next season at the earliest

137282_thumb.jpg

Premier League chief Scudamore: No regrets over Blackburn ownership
The head of the top-flight's governing body insists that the Lancashire outfit's Indian owners are suitable and says the club can bounce back from the Championship

181737_thumb.jpg

'Sneijder will join Manchester United this summer' - Sheringham
The ex-Red Devil believes the Dutch midfielder should switch to Old Trafford and suggests the title race is still not over with City facing a tricky test against QPR

173390_thumb.jpg

Di Matteo: Terry has been magnificent for Chelsea
The 41-year-old has backed his captain following a calamitous performance during the 4-1 Premier League defeat against Liverpool at Anfield on Tuesday

154889_thumb.jpg

Johnson delighted with Liverpool's reaction to FA Cup final defeat
The England international was pleased with how his team bounced back after their final defeat at the hands of Chelsea by thrashing them 4-1 in the Premier League on Tuesday night

144229_thumb.jpg

Barton relishing QPR's final day showdown with Manchester City
Midfielder says he can't wait for the game and hopes to pour cold water on his former side's title hopes, while admitting he needs to be criticised to get the best out of him

169944_thumb.jpg

Hamburg chairman confirms interest in Kuyt
German side's chief Carl-Edgar Jarchow admits his side are looking into the possibility of signing the Liverpool forward, who looks set to leave Anfield in the summer

183477_thumb.jpg

Newcastle's Papiss Cisse considering legal action over Real Madrid claims
The Senegal international has refuted the claims in the media that he is after a move to the Spainish giants, instead pledging his continuing commitment to the Magpies

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Extra Time: Rooney's horse Pippy has a debut to forget

The two-year-old colt failed to emulate the Manchester United striker, who scored a hat-trick in his first run out for the club, by finishing last in a meet at Chester

May 9, 2012 11:00:00 PM

By David Lynch

184994hp2.jpg

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney failed to pass on his magic touch to horse Pippy on Wednesday afternoon, as the colt made a disappointing race debut.

The three-year-old, one of a trio of horses owned by the Englishman, failed to place during a meet at a wet Chester Racecourse.

Rooney famously scored a Champions League hat-trick in his first run out for the Red Devils, though it seems his ability has not yet rubbed off onto his horses.

184996hp2.jpg

<center>
Exciting | Michael Owen's bet just came in...
</center>
His team-mate, horse enthusiast and, if we're being cruel, former footballer Michael Owen was also present to help cheer Pippy on to no avail.

And Rooney later revealed to The Telegraph the bizarre story behind the horses' name, saying: "The name was just what my wife got called when she was younger." Fascinating stuff.

184993hp2.jpg

<center>
WAG | Coleen brings a bit of glamour to proceedings
</center>

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thursday 10th May 2012

736015_33_preview.jpg

Shearer blames Venky's for Rovers woes

Former Blackburn hero Alan Shearer has expressed sympathy for manager Steve Kean while blaming owners Venky's for the club's malaise.

Shearer feels Kean has been left too open to criticism during a season in which Rovers slumped towards a relegation that was confirmed by defeat to Wigan on Monday.

Kean has been subjected to vitriolic fans' abuse throughout the campaign but Shearer believes he has maintained his dignity as the club's public face while Indian firm Venky's have become more distant.

Shearer told talkSPORT: "I have to say, I feel sympathy for Steve Kean because he was thrown into the lions' den really - you get on with it, you are the face, you are speaking about everything, whatever is right or wrong.

"There is only the owners you can blame really - they are the only guys you can look at.

"What disappoints me is that nobody really hears from them.

"We heard from them when they first went in - they were going to sign Ronaldinho and (David) Beckham and whoever.

"But no disrespect to the players they have brought in, but they are not Ronaldinho or Beckham.

"The manager has had to take all of the flak. He goes out there [India] once a month from what I can gather to give a briefing or be briefed on whatever has happened or is happening, and the club is in a mess now."

Shearer was the star of Blackburn's Premier League title success in 1995 after joining the club for a then British record £3.6million from Southampton.

The striker, who moved on to Newcastle in 1996, is sorry to see the Ewood Park club in such a state, facing the prospect of Championship football and continued supporter unrest.

When asked how he felt, he said: "A bit of sadness, a bit of anger - a bit of everything to be honest. It is an excellent football club.

"I had four great years there and they never ever professed to be one of the biggest clubs.

"It is still what the community loves - they still go there and they are never going to have huge crowds like the big clubs do.

"But what Blackburn did when I was there was come in, take on the big boys and beat them. It was an incredible achievement.

"I know they were relegated four or five years after we'd won the league, but they came up again two years after that.

"For me they are a Premier League outfit - they deserve to be in the Premier League."