• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Barclays Premier League Season 2011/2012

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Balotelli Blameless for City Slump

1599478933a3b363bd3c093e0a2ba6080aad0ce4.jpg

Joleon Lescott has spoken out in defence of bad boy striker Mario Balotelli, stating that the Italian is not to blame for the slump in form that has allowed title rivals Manchester United to pull five points clear of City at the top of the Premier League.

Some have cited the distractions caused by the indiscipline of City players such as Mario Balotelli and Carlos Tevez as reasons to why they have gone from trailblazing Premier League favourites to title underdogs once more.

But Lescott said: 'I think it’s a bit harsh to solely lay the blame on Mario. He’s a young player and he’s going to make mistakes, and we all did at that age.'

'Hopefully he is learning from them and when he plays he is going to give 100 per cent. Obviously he’s disappointed what happened with Arsenal but I am sure he’s learnt from that.'

Lescott also put a positive spin on the Carlos Tevez saga that has overshadowed City's season stating that: 'We’re not dwelling on the past. Who’s to say that if Carlos had stayed he wouldn’t have got injured and been out for the rest of the season? We’re just grateful now that he’s back and playing for Man City and scoring goals.'

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Young ‘Understands’ Diving Furore

15994790742dc0a0988a5d25268474da26b30a0b.jpg

Alex Ferguson has spoken with Ashley Young warning him not to go down too easily following a fortnight of accusations that the United midfielder is one of the Premiership’s most prolific divers.

Young has come under fire after winning controversial penalties in for United against QPR and his former club Aston Villa, which prompted Newcastle’s Ryan Taylor to take to his twitter account to state that: 'Ashley Young is an absolute DISGRACE. He's the biggest cheat in the league.'

Fergie was willing to admit that Young had overdone it when he won the penalty against Villa, but stated he still had some way to go before catching up with the diving antics of Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Chelsea.

'I have had a word with Ashley,' said Ferguson. 'He understands where we are coming from. Hopefully it makes a difference.'

'Last week, if the player doesn't bring Ashley down he is going to score. It was a clear goalscoring opportunity.'

'He did overdo the attempt to get a penalty but I watched Real Madrid and Bayern Munich the other night and it was absolutely ridiculous, players were diving and rolling about, nothing like what Young has been accused of.'

'You see the other night in the Chelsea game, we are in an age where you expect it now.'

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

115422_thumb.jpg

Salgado weighing up LA Galaxy move - report
The Spanish defender will leave Blackburn Rovers as a free agent this summer having not featured since December, with an offer from Qatar reportedly also on the table

115347_thumb.jpg

Micah Richards winning fitness battle ahead of Manchester derby
The defender has been given the all-clear to resume training following a hamstring strain at the start of the week and is expected to return against Manchester United

118673_thumb.jpg

Newcastle to unveil Sir Bobby Robson statue
The Magpies are set to honour their former manager, who died in 2009, by unveiling a bronze sculpture before their final home game of the season against Manchester City

179654_thumb.jpg

Rosicky: My football age is only 29
The 31-year-old midfielder believes he will be able to play longer because of a lengthy absence with a hamstring problem and looks to Paul Scholes for inspiration

163787_thumb.jpg

Dalglish rules Charlie Adam out for remainder of Liverpool's season & Team GB selection
The Scotsman will not feature for the Reds again in the current campaign, and will not recover in time to be a Scottish representative in Stuart Pearce's Olympic side

113685_thumb.jpg

Wigan defender Stam eyes PSV loan move
The Dutchman is keen to move from the Premier League club back to his homeland after recently failing to secure regular first-team football with the Latics

164730_thumb.jpg

QPR's Ferdinand prepared to snub Terry handshake - report
The defender has informed the club that he is unwilling to make peace with the Chelsea captain, who faces a criminal trial over allegations of racial abuse

176932_thumb.jpg

Manchester United planning weekend in Wales ahead of derby - report
With a potential Premier League title decider looming, the Red Devils boss has arranged a weekend of isolation for his players after already banning media access

141191_thumb.jpg

Redknapp ready to say 'yes' to England as Tottenham line up Rodgers
The Spurs boss is set to take assistants Joe Jordan and Kevin Bond with him as White Hart Lane chiefs begin laying groundwork for a new management team

167044_thumb.jpg

Capello would welcome Premier League job
The 65-year-old admits he would also consider a return to Serie A and compared his role with the Three Lions to a club director

173788_thumb.jpg

Lille's Hazard 'flattered' by Ferguson praise
The 21-year-old winger has attracted the attention of Europe's top clubs with his performances in Ligue 1 and is set to move away from France during the summer

179484_thumb.jpg

Malouda to see out Chelsea contract before assessing future
The 31-year-old believes that his career in west London may be over, despite having a year left on his current deal, but has admitted that a move to South America interests him

171067_thumb.jpg

Premier League footballers among least trusted people in UK
In a recent survey carried out by the RatedPeople Trust Index it was revealed that the British public have little or no faith in players they pay to watch every weekend

175192_thumb.jpg

Bendtner remains coy over Sunderland future
The Dane has been on a season-long loan from Arsenal but, with talks over an extension yet to get underway, he has admitted that he may turn down an offer to stay

170209_thumb.jpg

Carragher: Entire Liverpool squad fighting for FA Cup final start
The Anfield talisman has revealed that his team-mates are all looking to impress in Saturday's clash with Norwich before the Wembley showpiece on May 5 against Chelsea

137621_thumb.jpg

Gourlay: Chelsea won't appoint Di Matteo before end of season
The Stamford Bridge chief executive has maintained the club's stance that no manager will be chosen until the campaign is complete, with two cup finals yet to play

175778_thumb.jpg

Players must rise to the challenge to stay at Manchester United, says Evans
The Red Devils defender says that players must be able to overcome adversity with the Premier League champions - and if they cannot, they should not be at the club

141191_thumb.jpg

Swansea manager Rodgers plays down Mancini's 'easy' jibe
The Northern Irishman has denied claims that Manchester United will have an easy game against the Swans, citing their own good performances against City as proof

118600_thumb.jpg

Uruguay coach Tabarez excited to play at Wembley and Old Trafford
Having learned that his side would face Great Britain in the Olympics, the Charrua coach requested the attitude of his troops match the challenge of playing in the iconic stadia

125578_thumb.jpg

Zabaleta: Manchester City deserve to be back in Premier League title race
The defender has claimed that it is not down to luck that his side have got themselves back into touching distance of Manchester United after going eight points behind

175837_thumb.jpg

Redknapp: Tottenham won't sell star players
The former Portsmouth manager insists that there will not be an exodus at White Hart Lane even if Spurs fail to secure qualification for the Champions League this season

146265_thumb.jpg

Owen targets substitute role in Manchester United title push
Former England international does not expect to be able to recover in time to start any games this season but is determined to be ready if he is needed off the bench in a pinch

176489_thumb.jpg

Wenger: Football should consider sin bins
The Arsenal boss sees no harm in following the examples set by the likes of rugby and thinks that implementing a "temporary exclusion" rule may improve the sport

156311_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Fabio keen on Benfica move
The Brazilian defender insisted that he would welcome a loan switch to the Lisbon giants, but added that his future is still undecided and has yet to contact the Portuguese club

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Premier League footballers among least trusted people in UK

In a recent survey carried out by the RatedPeople Trust Index it was revealed that the British public have little or no faith in players they pay to watch every weekend

Apr 26, 2012 12:05:00 AM

by Theo Squires

171067hp2.jpg

Premier League footballers are one of the least-trusted professions in the UK, according to a recent poll, coming in second only to politicians.

The survey, conducted by YouGov on behalf of The RatedPeople Trust Index, assessed a range of professions, focusing on four different categories; honesty, reliability, quality of work and value for money.

Over 2000 people were asked their opinion on a number of professions in each classification, with the results highlighting which ones are trusted most by the British public.

And whilst politicians might have managed to outscore them in the honesty, reliability and quality of work categories, it was Premier League footballers, with their multi-million pound contracts, who were voted as being the least reliable, with 76 per cent of people rating them as ‘poor’ or ‘very poor’ for money.

At the other end of the table, teachers were judged to be the most trustworthy as they enjoyed a clean sweep, coming top across the board for all four criteria.

The RatedPeople Trust Index also assessed which attributes are most likely to cause the worst first impression; bad manners, poor eye contact, an unkempt appearance, being inarticulate, a weak handshake and being badly dressed all being major contributing factors.

With leading stars like Luis Suarez not known for his strong handshake, Mario Balotelli sporting an array of peculiar hats, and countless being unable to string a sentence together on Twitter, maybe it is no surprise that the general public are as wary towards the Premier League’s finest as much as those who occupy the House of Commons.

David Silva

Alfrescian
Loyal

Henry eyeing future 'dream' managerial role at Arsenal

The Frenchman is a legend at the north London club and, after a brief return this season as a player, is pondering a return in a coaching capacity when his playing days end

Apr 27, 2012 5:20:00 PM

By James McManus

166254hp2.jpg

Former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry has admitted that it would be "a dream" to one day return to the club as manager.

The New York Red Bulls forward played for the Gunners for eight years between 1999 and 2007 before leaving to sign for Barcelona. He made a dramatic return to the club this season on a short loan spell, scoring twice in the league in four appearances.

However, with the 34-year-old Frenchman now entering the twilight of his career, he has turned his attentions to life after football and the potential chance of managing his former club, when asked if he ever considered entering football management.

"You know what? I might. Now do you think I would be a good one? You can never tell," Henry told USA Today.

"I actually don't know if that would be an option. I know I will be in the game for sure. Why not? Sure."

"Everyone knows the love I have for Arsenal Football Club, so you know it goes without saying where. That's a dream."

David Silva

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola denies contact with Chelsea after announcing decision to leave Barcelona

The 41-year-old has dismissed any links with the vacant managerial job at Stamford Bridge and denies ever meeting with the owner or any of his representatives

Apr 27, 2012 1:17:00 PM

By Tom Bradley

180085hp2.jpg

Pep Guardiola has distanced himself from the vacant Chelsea job after confirming that he will leave Barcelona at the end of the season.

The Spaniard’s decision to announce his resignation as Blaugrana boss has increased speculation that he will take over as manager of the Premier League club next season, but the 41-year-old insists that he wants to take a break from football.

"I never met with Roman Abramovich nor any Chelsea representative. I'm not interesting in coaching now," he told reporters.

"My desire is to make other things, maybe sometime in the future I will go back to a bench, but I don't know at the moment.

"I don't have anything to prove, I'm not interested in proving myself abroad and will go away from football at the moment."

Guardiola's apparent non-interest in the job at Stamford Bridge may strengthen current interim boss Roberto Di Matteo's own claim to the Chelsea hotseat.

The Italian has turned Chelsea’s season around since taking over from the sacked Andre Villas-Boas until the end of the season, overseeing the knocking-out of Barcelona to reach the Champions League final and also securing a spot in the FA Cup final.

David Silva

Alfrescian
Loyal

Friday 27th April 2012

791586_33_preview.jpg

Redknapp blasts Spurs critics

Harry Redknapp today launched a robust defence of his management style.

Tottenham were on the verge of moving 13 points clear of Arsenal in February but a run of one win in nine games means the Londoners could be sixth in the Barclays Premier League by the time they take on Blackburn at White Hart Lane on Sunday.

Tottenham defender Vedran Corluka claimed this week Redknapp's reluctance to rotate - he made the fewest changes of any top-flight manager over the festive period - has caused the club's key players to tire.

Redknapp has clearly been riled by the claims of the right-back, who was loaned to Bayer Leverkusen in January, and insists he has no regrets over his reluctance to rotate this term.

"I am very happy with what I have done," Redknapp said in a fiery press conference this afternoon.

"The players have probably played on average 30 games this year and I don't think is a lot.

"I don't ever remember Bobby Moore getting rotated, nor Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, Dave Mackay or Alan Mullery. They played ankle deep in m&d every week.

"It's my decision. It's difficult to rotate a team. It's okay to rotate if you have enough players to do it but I have not been in that position due to injuries.

"Frank Lampard played 60 games in a season. I don't see him talking about being rotated.

"Ashley Cole has been playing 47, 48 games a year. Wayne Rooney has played well in to the 40s.

"They are not being rotated.

"If people keep telling players they're tired, they'll believe it.

"It's a load of nonsense. It's an excuse."

Redknapp has also been irritated by claims he had a bust-up with striker Emmanuel Adebayor this week.

"Whoever said that is telling lies. It is an absolute lie," he said.

"I have not had one cross word with Adebayor since he came here. He has never been a minute's problem to me. "When we took him here from Man City people said he's aggro or whatever.. but he is not a problem.

"The whole thing is fabricated. I am sure we would love to keep him here next year. He is a top player."

Having watched his team slip three points behind Newcastle after losing to QPR last weekend, Redknapp knows Spurs must win their last four games - against Blackburn, Bolton, Aston Villa and Fulham - to stand any chance of catching the in-form Magpies.

Even that may not be enough to qualify for the Champions League, however, as Chelsea will take the fourth qualification spot if they beat Bayern Munich in next month's European Cup final.

Redknapp insists his team's slump has been due to a mixture of bad luck on and off the pitch and is adamant he can bring Champions League football back to White Hart Lane next season.

"We lost people like Michael Dawson and at the start of the season Tom Huddlestone," Redknapp added.

"They're people who are important to the squad.

"We have had a disastrous run, it's like someone has hit you with a sledgehammer, but we've only played bad once really in the league - against Norwich.

"We're positive and it's all systems go from now on.

"We are looking forward to the last four games, we are in a great situation where we can still make Champions League and we are ready to go for it."

Tottenham's hopes of returning to winning ways against relegation threatened Blackburn have been boosted by the return of Adebayor and Younes Kaboul from their respective hamstring and knee injuries.

Redknapp did confirm, however, that left-back Benoit Assou-Ekotto will miss the rest of the season after dislocating his shoulder against QPR last week.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

156335_thumb.jpg

Corluka blames Redknapp for Tottenham's stuttering Champions League push
The Croatia international has hit out at the Spurs boss for a lack of squad rotation which he believes has ruined hopes of elite European football at White Hart Lane next year

166254_thumb.jpg

Henry eyeing future 'dream' managerial role at Arsenal
The Frenchman is a legend at the north London club and, after a brief return this season as a player, is pondering a return in a coaching capacity when his playing days end

181471_thumb.jpg

Chelsea boss Di Matteo hails Guardiola in wake of Barcelona resignation
The Italian, whose future at Stamford Bridge is still uncertain with a Champions League final next month, doubts the Spaniard will ever repeat his achievements at the Nou Camp

178208_thumb.jpg

Mancini admits he could turn to Balotelli for Manchester derby
The City boss has conceded that the controversial Italian striker's excellent record against United may prove too difficult to ignore ahead of title clash

176588_thumb.jpg

Ancelotti confirms Paris Saint-Germain interest in Suarez
The Italian has made no attempt to hide his admiration for the Uruguay international, who has established himself as a firm favourite with the Anfield faithful

178182_thumb.jpg

Redknapp and Pardew backing Bayern Munich for Champions League final victory over Chelsea
Should Roberto Di Matteo's side pull off yet another upset in the final, there will be only three Champions League qualification places up for grabs in the league

150792_thumb.jpg

Dalglish opens the door for Aquilani return to Liverpool
The Scottish manager has urged Milan to make a decision on the former Roma man's future but still insists he would welcome the on-loan midfielder back to Anfield

169618_thumb.jpg

Huckerby: Norwich must match Lambert's ambitions to keep him out of rivals' clutches
The ex-Canaries striker believes the club need to convince the Scot to stay and insists that Grant Holt will only miss out on England selection due to his unfashionable status

181889_thumb.jpg

Richards raring to go for 'special' Manchester derby
The England international has been sidelined recently with a hamstring strain, but could be set to return to the starting line-up in time for the title decider

152214_thumb.jpg

Mancini believes Hazard would be 'perfect' for Manchester City
The Italian is the latest in a long string of managers to state their admiration for the Lille winger ahead of what could potentially be a heated summer transfer battle

177746_thumb.jpg

Dalglish: Champions League final in Munich is unfair on Chelsea
The Liverpool boss faced the same situation when playing for the Reds against Roma in the 1984 final, and believes European bosses should have learned their lesson by now

106692_thumb.jpg

‘I know I’m good enough to play in England’ - Scott Sutter targets summer homecoming after Blackburn disappointment
The defender is keen to return from Switzerland and is eyeing a move to the Premier League after coming close to securing a transfer to Ewood Park in January

176927_thumb.jpg

Reading place Yakubu at top of summer shopping list
The Championship winners will only make a move for the experienced Nigerian striker if Blackburn Rovers are relegated from the Premier League this season

175890_thumb.jpg

Tottenham's Nelsen wary of old club Blackburn's fight for survival
The 34-year-old left Ewood Park for Spurs in January and has given his new boss Harry Redknapp tips on how to get past the team who are currently battling against relegation

175220_thumb.jpg

Gerrard passed fit for Wembley by Liverpool boss Dalglish
The captain was struggling with a hamstring injury and was omitted from the matchday squad last Sunday but will make Wembley against Chelsea in the FA Cup final

164730_thumb.jpg

Premier League suspend pre-match handshake between Chelsea & QPR over Terry & Anton Ferdinand incident
The decision to suspend the ritual is because of legal problems that may arise ahead of the former England captain's court case for allegedly abusing the former Sunderland defender

178208_thumb.jpg

Lescott says Manchester City team-mate Balotelli is learning from his mistakes
The controversial striker may play against Manchester United after serving his three match suspension, in what could be a key game in deciding the destination of the Premier League

181735_thumb.jpg

Greater Manchester Police to 'clamp down hard' on troublemakers at Manchester derby
An alcohol exclusion zone between the city centre and the Etihad Stadium will be introduced for the fixture, with supporters under the influence not allowed into the ground

172186_thumb.jpg

'It is all down to this game' - Sir Alex Ferguson hails importance of upcoming Manchester derby
The Manchester United manager is looking forward to Monday's clash and believes that their city neighbours have now replaced Liverpool as the Red Devils' main rivals

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'It is all down to this game' - Sir Alex Ferguson hails importance of upcoming Manchester derby

The Manchester United manager is looking forward to Monday's clash and believes that their city neighbours have now replaced Liverpool as the Red Devils' main rivals

Apr 26, 2012 5:55:00 PM

By Al Hain-Cole

172186hp2.jpg

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has reaffirmed his belief that Monday’s Manchester derby will decide the title, and insists that Manchester City have replacedLiverpool as his team’s biggest rivals.

The Red Devils currently sit three points clear of City with three games left to play, and Sir Alex believes that his side need to get used to competing for silverware with their local rivals.

The 70-year-old told reporters: "We have to get used to playing Manchester City in important games. They are not going away.

“The support they have means we are going to be playing them in a lot of big games.

"If we are going to be contesting for league titles regularly - and I think we will be doing - it will become just as important as the Liverpool game.

"Maybe not in terms of emotion because the Liverpool-United games are emotional, but there is certainly an importance which, at this moment in time, supersedes the Liverpool games.

"They are our direct opponents now. Manchester City are up against us to win titles and that is what our focus is on, the team who can stop us winning."

With so much at stake, Ferguson confirmed that the game would be tense, but insisted that he was excited about the occasion.

"You would have to be a confirmed masochist to enjoy it," he continued. "But we are looking forward to it and the players will be fully prepared for it.

"It was inevitable I suppose. It is all down to this game. There will be a considerable number of countries watching it, so I hope it lives up to the billing."

City boss Roberto Mancini has repeatedly suggested that United already have the title in the bag, making Monday’s game meaningless.

However, Ferguson is having none of it, and believes that the Italian is just relieving the pressure on his own team.

"Maybe he is trying to take pressure off his own players," he suggested.

"But it doesn't matter. It is not going to affect our approach or attitude to the game. We know the exact situation we are in here.

"We are in a better position than Manchester City. We can get two results, they can only get one.

"They have to win. We can draw or we can win, which is what we will be trying to do."

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Greater Manchester Police to 'clamp down hard' on troublemakers at Manchester derby

An alcohol exclusion zone between the city centre and the Etihad Stadium will be introduced for the fixture, with supporters under the influence not allowed into the ground

Apr 26, 2012 7:14:00 PM

By Oliver Platt

181735hp2.jpg
Getty
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) have announced their plans for the upcoming derby between Manchester City and Manchester United on Monday evening.

The fixture at the Etihad Stadium could play a huge part in deciding the destination of this year's Premier League title and as such tensions are expected to be high between the two rivals ahead of kick-off.

GMP have insisted that they recognise the excitement the rivalry brings to the fixture and to the league but have urged supporters to help maintain a "safe and enjoyable" atmosphere around the stadium.

The FA Cup third round tie between the two clubs in January passed without major incident, with the police praising supporters' behaviour, but there have been disturbances and arrests made in previous years.

"As so much rests on this game, emotions will be running high and our main aim is to ensure the game is a safe and enjoyable experience for all fans," chief superintendent John O'Hare said in a statement.

"Greater Manchester Police will have the appropriate number of officers and resources within the ground and the surrounding areas to both deal with any incidents and offer reassurance to the public.

"The rivalry between the clubs really adds something extra to this fixture and should be embraced, but we must also ensure that this is not used as an excuse by some individuals to become involved in disorder."

O'Hare promised that GMP would "clamp down hard" on any supporters looking to cause trouble and urged fans to drink responsibly.

An alcohol exclusion zone, where alcohol will not be permitted, will be set up between the city centre and the Etihad Stadium, while supporters under the influence will not be allowed to enter the ground.

"We want to make it clear to the minority who may be thinking of causing any trouble that we will clamp down hard on them," O'Hare continued. "We want people to take responsibility for themselves and drink responsibly.

"We want to ensure that the city of Manchester, both of its clubs and its fans are remembered for the right reasons. We should celebrate the fact that the Premier League is coming to Manchester."

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Redknapp and Pardew backing Bayern Munich for Champions League final victory over Chelsea

Should Roberto Di Matteo's side pull off yet another upset in the final, there will be only three Champions League qualification places up for grabs in the league

Apr 27, 2012 3:48:00 PM

By James McManus

178182hp2.jpg

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp and Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew have both admitted that they will be backing Bayern Munich in the Champions League final this season, despite it being against English club Chelsea.

If Roberto Di Matteo manages to stage yet another upset by emerging triumphant in the final on May 19, then only the top-three placed teams in the Premier League will qualify for the tournament next season alongside the holders.

For Redknapp, it's simply a case of putting club before family, with his nephew Frank Lampard likely to skipper the west London outfit on the night with John Terry out suspended.

"I'd be a liar if I said I want Chelsea to win the Champions League," Redknapp told reporters.

"I want Bayern to win it, and I hope they do, for all Spurs fans."

Alan Pardew's Newcastle side have performed well above expectations all season and go into the final four games of the season sitting above both Tottenham and Chelsea in the table and the club's boss believes it would be a bitter pill to swallow should it come to fruition.

"We don’t want Chelsea to win because we want that spot, along with Tottenham and Arsenal," Pardew told assembled journalists.

"It would be very harsh if we finished fourth and then missed out on the Champions League. It would be a kick in the teeth."

David Silva

Alfrescian
Loyal

175220_thumb.jpg

Gerrard: Liverpool missing Suarez hurt because he's one of the best
England international states that the Uruguayan's absence from the team was painful, but not an excuse for some of the poor league form in a difficult season for the Reds

177922_thumb.jpg

City defender Kompany: Manchester derby is second behind El Clasico
The Belgian defender believes that the game between Barcelona and Real Madrid is the biggest in the world, but Monday's clash against the Red Devils comes second

132843_thumb.jpg

Former Manchester United goalkeeper Van der Sar compares City's Hart with Peter Schmeichel
The Dutchman believes England's No.1 is showing the qualities of the Great Dane and also had much praise for current United keeper David de Gea, who took over from him

165809_thumb.jpg

Chelsea defender Cahill pleased to be building relationship with Luiz
The England international talked about his improving understanding with his Brazilian team-mate and can't believe the turnaround at Stamford Bridge since Di Matteo's arrival

157580_thumb.jpg

Barry wants Manchester City to seize second chance at title against United
The 31-year-old has been a key component of Roberto Mancini's midfield and hopes that the renewed belief around the club can propel them past their rivals late in the season

176667_thumb.jpg

Liverpool manager Dalglish & Arsenal scout watch Montpellier's win at Toulouse
The Reds boss is rumoured to be interested in Moussa Sissoko, while the Gunners' talent spotter keeps tabs on Ligue 1 leaders' striker Olivier Giroud in his side's 1-0 victory

176932_thumb.jpg

Leaving Manchester United players out of big games is torturous, says Sir Alex Ferguson
Red Devils manager reveals that Paul Pogba is the only man unavailable for the huge clash with rivals City, but picking men to sit on the sidelines is still a difficult decision

179127_thumb.jpg

Manchester City boss Mancini remains wary of United's 'internal force'
The Italian boss has again attempted to dampen expectations as Monday's potentially title-deciding clash at the Etihad Stadium looms, citing his rivals' experience as key

164730_thumb.jpg

Chelsea appeal for good fan behaviour in QPR clash
Controversy surrounds Sunday's west London derby with the court case regarding John Terry's alleged racist abuse of Rs defender Anton Ferdinand hanging above the game

175174_thumb.jpg

O’Neill admits Sunderland would love a striker like Llorente
The Black Cats boss, whose focus this summer is to bring a forward to the Stadium of Light, lavished praise on the Athletic Bilbao frontman but accepted he is an unrealistic target

145585_thumb.jpg

Manchester City to release Hargreaves - report
The former Manchester United man's injuries have got the better of him and he is claimed to face being let go in the summer after making just one appearance for his current club

172899_thumb.jpg

Vermaelen: Arsenal ready for Stoke City battle
The Gunners defender is aware of the Potters’ threat from set pieces and insists that the visitors must try to play their passing game despite the hosts' attempts to dictate play

176667_thumb.jpg

'It would be nice if we were rubbish and won' - Dalglish demands results over performances from Liverpool
The Reds play Norwich City on Saturday and, two domestic finals aside, the Anfield boss is aware that games have not gone their way with only one league win in last 11 matches

174816_thumb.jpg

Redknapp blames players for Tottenham slump
The Spurs manager has denied allegations that his management style and poor transfer dealings have led to his side's decline, insisting that the playing staff are to blame

171345_thumb.jpg

Manchester United defender Evans: Move to the right has improved me
The centre-back feels that his impressive performances this season, playing consistently for the Red Devils, are down to his switch from away from the left side of the pitch

David Silva

Alfrescian
Loyal

Saturday 28th April 2012

779461_33_preview.jpg

Report: Chelsea eye £35m Higuain deal

Chelsea are set to make a £35million summer bid for Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain, according to reports.

The Sun claims to be in contact with a "top Chelsea source" who revealed that the Argentinean has been identified as the man to replace veteran Blues star Didier Drogba.

"Higuain is top of the shopping list," the source told the Sun.

"He has a phenomenal goalscoring record for Real and for Argentina but he helps make lots of goals too.

"He would be perfect for us, the sort of player who would thrive in the Premier League."

The newspaper reports that crucial to the deal will be whether or not Madrid boss Jose Mourinho is successful in his bid to lure Manchester City's Sergio Aguero to the Bernabeu next season.

Higuain is contracted to Madrid until 2016 and in January, the player's agent, who is also his father, insisted that the striker has no intention of leaving.

Higuain has scored over a 100 goals for the club since signing from River Plate in 2006.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday 27th April 2012

788161_33_preview.jpg

Premier League Weekend Team News

A round-up of team news ahead of this weekend's Premier League fixtures.

Everton vs Fulham

Everton will again be without defender Leighton Baines and midfielder Jack Rodwell. Baines is still sidelined with the hamstring injury which forced him to miss missed last weekend's 4-4 draw at Manchester United while Rodwell has not played for six weeks because of a similar problem. Centre-back Sylvain Distin is expected to deputise on the left of defence once more but on-loan Royston Drenthe is not likely to return to the squad having been disciplined before the FA Cup semi-final.

Fulham defender Stephen Kelly returned to training this week and is in contention. Pavel Pogrebnyak made a goalscoring return to action against Wigan last weekend after recovering from an ankle problem while Fulham also have striker Andrew Johnson fit and available. Winger Bryan Ruiz (foot) will be out for 10 weeks while Steve Sidwell (hernia) and Zdenek Grygera (knee) are also long-term absentees.

Norwich vs Liverpool

Norwich striker James Vaughan is pressing for another start after his recovery from a frustrating injury spell. Former Reds centre-back Zak Whitbread (hamstring) remains sidelined and will not be playing against his old club. Fellow defenders Marc Tierney (groin) and Daniel Ayala (knee), another former Liverpool man, are ruled out of the season.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard returned to training during the week after being rested for the home defeat against West Brom. However, with an FA Cup final in just over a week and two league matches to play before then manager Kenny Dalglish may look to protect some of his players, starting tomorrow [Saturday]. Midfielder Charlie Adam's knee injury has ruled out a return before the end of the season.

Stoke vs Arsenal

Stoke defender Andy Wilkinson (groin) will miss tomorrow's [Satuday] clash. The 27-year-old, substituted after 33 minutes at Newcastle last week, is also doubtful for Tuesday's meeting with Everton but could be back for the final two games of the campaign. Winger Jermaine Pennant is back in contention after a virus but is unlikely to start.

Arsenal midfielder Abou Diaby will be assessed ahead of the game after suffering from a virus. Czech international Tomas Rosicky has shrugged off a similar illness, while on-loan Chelsea midfielder Yossi Benayoun comes back in after being ineligible to play against his parent club last weekend. Winger Theo Walcott (hamstring) may feature before the end of the season but Mikel Arteta (ankle) is out along with Jack Wilshere (ankle) and German centre-back Per Mertesacker (ankle).

Sunderland vs Bolton

Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill will be without a trio of key players. Midfielder Craig Gardner is suspended following his sending-off at Aston Villa last weekend, while full-back Kieran Richardson and winger Sebastian Larsson will both miss the rest of the season after undergoing hernia surgery this week. Skipper Lee Cattermole could return to the midfield as he battles a persistent knee problem, but the manager will make a late decision on his fitness.

Bolton boss Owen Coyle will again run the rule over his walking wounded. Coyle claimed another six players picked up knocks in Tuesday's 2-1 win at Aston Villa, including midfielders Chris Eagles, Ryo Miyaichi and Mark Davies, with none training yesterday [Thursday]. Darren Pratley has missed the last two matches through illness, whilst Bolton are still awaiting FIFA clearance to play winger Gregg Wylde following his move from Rangers.

Swansea vs Wolves

Swansea winger Nathan Dyer is fully fit for Saturday's match after recovering from illness. Dyer was forced off early in last weekend's draw with Bolton but is available for the visit of the midlands club, while Steven Caulker, who played 90 minutes at the Reebok Stadium, has also shaken off an illness. Kemy Agustien (ankle), Ferrie Bodde (knee) and Alan Tate (calf) remain absent for the Swans.

Relegated Wolves will be without on-loan Tottenham defender Sebastien Bassong after he suffered a hamstring injury during Sunday's 2-0 home reversal by Manchester City and will be sidelined for up to a fortnight. Christophe Berra is poised to come in. Goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey (knee), midfielder Jamie O'Hara (groin) and defender Jody Craddock (hip) are out.

West Brom vs Aston Villa

West Brom striker Marc-Antoine Fortune is fit to return after missing last weekend's shock 1-0 away success over Liverpool with a hamstring injury. Midfielder Paul Scharner is likely to be available despite cracking a bone in his wrist at Anfield. Midfielders Zoltan Gera and James Morrison (both knee) and right-back Steven Reid (foot) remain on the injury list.

Aston Villa defender Richard Dunne is available after two and a half months out of action with a broken collarbone. Fellow defender James Collins is still battling to overcome his recent groin problem and there will be checks on the fitness of midfielder Stephen Ireland (hamstring) and striker Emile Heskey (Achilles).

Wigan vs Newcastle

Wigan striker Franco di Santo is doubtful for the relegation battlers with a calf injury. Fellow forward Hugo Rodallega (knee) is hoping to prove his fitness after returning to training following a seven-week lay-off. Defender Ronnie Stam (hamstring) is unlikely to feature but midfielder Albert Crusat (calf) is back in contention.

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has no fresh injury concerns, while Gabriel Obertan (ankle) and Sylvain Marveaux (groin) are both back in training, but neither will travel. Only Steven Taylor (Achilles) and Sammy Ameobi (knee) remain on the Champions League-chasing side's long-term casualty list.

Chelsea vs QPR

Chelsea are facing a defensive crisis with both Gary Cahill and David Luiz ruled out with hamstring injuries. Branislav Ivanovic serves the final instalment of his domestic three-match ban, leaving John Terry as the Blues' only recognised centre-half.

QPR manager Mark Hughes could be missing three key players. Adel Taarabt is suspended following his dismissal in the 1-0 victory over Tottenham last weekend, with former Chelsea player Shaun Wright-Phillips a strong candidate to replace the Morocco international. Samba Diakite has not trained all week due to an illness, while Djibril Cisse, who was an unused substitute against Spurs after returning from a four-game ban, is struggling with a knee problem.

Tottenham vs Blackburn

Younes Kaboul and Emmanuel Adebayor have recovered from their respective knee and hamstring injuries and will be available for Tottenham. Ledley King is a doubt with his own chronic knee injury, but Benoit Assou-Ekotto has been ruled out for the season after dislocating his shoulder against QPR. Niko Kranjcar (knee), Tom Huddlestone (ankle) and Michael Dawson (ankle) are out.

Blackburn manager Steve Kean has virtually a full squad. Montenegro midfielder Simon Vukcevic has recovered from a virus. Jason Lowe has recovered from a knee problem so only Grant Hanley, who has an ankle ligament injury, is missing.

Man City vs Man Utd

Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli is available again for the crunch derby clash. The Italian has served a three-match ban for his sending-off at Arsenal earlier this month but it remains to be seen whether he will be recalled given the form of Sergio Aguero and Carlos Tevez. Defender Micah Richards (hamstring) is fit again after missing last week's win at Wolves.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson must decide whether to make changes. Full-back Rafael would appear to be at the most risk of losing his place from the team that threw away a two-goal lead in the final seven minutes of last Sunday's encounter with Everton. Phil Jones and Chris Smalling could both step in, whilst Ferguson may also opt to reinforce his midfield with either Ryan Giggs, Tom Cleverley or Park Ji-sung at the expense of a wide player or Danny Welbeck.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

161536_thumb.jpg

Giovanni Dos Santos is not going to MLS, says Tottenham executive director
The 22-year-old, who has failed to establish himself at the London outfit since arriving from Barcelona four years ago, will not be leaving England for an adventure in the USA

163312_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Nani blasts team for letting Manchester City back into title race
Portuguese winger has lambasted the Red Devils for not having the Premier League wrapped up by now - and admitted he would love to see out his career at Old Trafford

178208_thumb.jpg

'Maybe I am the only man in football who trusts Balotelli' - Manchester City boss Mancini
The Italian boss says the striker has apologised for the red card he picked up against Arsenal and has been training well ahead of the crucial derby with United on Monday night

182533_thumb.jpg

Here comes trouble: Suarez back to his best to prove he is Liverpool's pivotal player
The Uruguayan striker grabbed a brilliant hat-trick against Norwich City on Saturday and showed why the Reds must not allow him to leave in the summer transfer window

153167_thumb.jpg

Manchester derby provides Balotelli perfect platform to prove he is worth keeping for City
The Italian striker looked certain to move on this summer but he could salvage his City career with an explosive display in the most hyped-up Premier League match in memory

182454_thumb.jpg

Arsenal v Stoke goes from bogey fixture to grudge match as fans target Wenger, Shawcross & Ramsey
The clubs have a long-standing history, but the heated atmosphere at the Britannia Stadium confirms things have gone from bad to worse between the Potters and the Gunners

178943_thumb.jpg

'If United lose, City will win the title' - warns Sir Alex Ferguson
The Red Devils manager has admitted Roberto Mancini's men will go on to lift the Premier League trophy if the reigning champions are beaten in the Manchester derby on Monday

145996_thumb.jpg

Redknapp unsure if Modric will stay at Tottenham
The day after Gareth Bale hints he might leave White Hart Lane if Spurs do not secure Champions League football, the boss admits he does not know whether the Croatian will remain

177725_thumb.jpg

Juventus keeping tabs on Ivanovic - report
The Old Lady are believed to be interested in signing the Blues defender in the summer transfer window, and are also monitoring the progress of two Brescia youngsters

182369_thumb.jpg

Marin reveals he snubbed Tottenham in order to secure 'dream' Chelsea move
Germany international winger is set to move to Stamford Bridge after three years with the Green-Whites, and believes his new club will offer a new challenge

178121_thumb.jpg

Lampard: I want to emulate Giggs & Scholes at Chelsea
The Blues midfielder reveals he will begin discussions on a new contract in the summer and is looking to play into his late 30s, like the Manchester United duo

150616_thumb.jpg

'Manchester United could be feeling the pressure as City close in' - David Silva
The midfielder claims his team-mates are focused ahead of the derby and says the club's season will be on the line at the Etihad Stadium on Monday

179460_thumb.jpg

Ferguson hails 'special' Welbeck and Rooney partnership
Old Trafford boss believes his current striking partnership have shown similarities to the treble-winning duo of Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole

182536_thumb.jpg

Suarez is one of the best in the world, says Gerrard
The Liverpool skipper believes the Uruguayan is one of the top players in the game after his stunning hat-trick at Carrow Road on Saturday

141299_thumb.jpg

Arsenal defender Sagna hails 'important' point after Stoke draw
Gunners extended their lead over fourth-placed Newcastle to four points despite failing to win at the Britannia Stadium after the Magpies were thumped 4-0 at Wigan

182519_thumb.jpg

Dalglish lauds ‘fantastic' Liverpool performance and hails Suarez hat-trick heroics
The Reds beat Norwich City 3-0 at Carrow Road on Saturday evening and their manager admitted he was delighted that the players were able to turn attacking dominance into a result

182285_thumb.jpg

Wenger unaffected by Stoke fans' chanting in Arsenal draw
Gunners boss was taunted by supporters at the Britannia Stadium but he insists he was unaffected and credits his team's 'battling qualities' after earning a point

127348_thumb.jpg

Wenger: Arsenal rehabilitation key for Wilshere, not Olympics
The 62-year-old is reluctant to put a timescale on the young midfielder's return to fitness, after speculation that he could be included in the Great Britian squad

181622_thumb.jpg

Hughes: Di Matteo deserves Chelsea job permanently
The QPR boss says the Italian should be given the manger's role on a full-time basis after guiding the Blues to both the FA Cup and Champions League finals

179484_thumb.jpg

Malouda reveals 'doubts' over Chelsea future
The Frenchman has one year left on his current deal with the Blues, but his time at Stamford Bridge could be up with the summer arrival of German playmaker Marko Marin

178763_thumb.jpg

'Walcott is definitely available for Euro 2012' - Wenger
England winger has missed the last few weeks with a hamstring injury but may feature in the Gunners' last game of the season and is fit enough to travel to Ukraine and Poland

175174_thumb.jpg

Sunderland boss O’Neill surprised by Mancini's ‘not difficult’ comments
The Manchester City manager implied that Swansea City and the Black Cats were 'easy' opponents for title-chasers United, but the Northern Irishman points out recent results

178731_thumb.jpg

'Anything can happen but United have more chance than us' - Manchester City boss Mancini
The 47-year-old continues to be downbeat on his side's hopes of winning the Premier League even though a victory on Monday could put them ahead on goal difference

118865_thumb.jpg

Championship Round-up: West Ham have to settle for play-off place despite win over Hull City
Sam Allardyce's side will take on Cardiff for a place at Wembley after the Bluebirds clinched the final play-off spot with a win at Crystal Palace

182369_thumb.jpg

Chelsea sign Werder Bremen playmaker Marin
Blues wrap up deal to bring the 23-year-old German international to Stamford Bridge next season in a deal reported to be worth up to £6.5 million

176730_thumb.jpg

Bale: I may leave Tottenham if we don't qualify for the Champions League
With Spurs slipping out of the top four and Real Madrid & Barcelona both keen on the Welshman, the wideman has suggested that he might depart White Hart Lane in the summer

180778_thumb.jpg

Cabaye delighted to prove Newcastle doubters wrong
The Frenchman reveals his move from Lille to Tyneside was questioned by many in his home country, but insists the Magpies' Champions League push has vindicated his decision

172425_thumb.jpg

Liverpool have money to spend – Dalglish
The Reds boss splurged over £100 million on players including Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing in 2011 but is satisfied that he has the means to bring in further reinforcements

156375_thumb.jpg

Hughes: Premier League wanted QPR to give Chelsea a guard of honour
Hoops manager has claimed that the league's authorities asked his side to applaud their west London rivals amid concerns over the John Terry-Anton Ferdinand handshake issue

178943_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson desperate for Manchester United to win derby for the fans
The Old Trafford boss has underlined the importance of Monday's local confrontation, stating that the result will have an immeasurable effect on both sets of supporters

178598_thumb.jpg

Manchester United target Dortmund star Kagawa
The Japan international is expected by the Bundesliga champions not to sign a contract extension, with the Red Devils ready to pounce by offering him a three-year deal

164730_thumb.jpg

Anton Ferdinand will not be rattled by facing Terry in Chelsea-QPR clash
The 27-year-old insists that he will not be fazed by the prospect of lining up against the ex-England captain, with the pre-match handshakes between the two sides again cancelled

174816_thumb.jpg

I tried to sign Tevez for Tottenham in January – Redknapp
Spurs boss reveals that the opinion-dividing Argentine was his "dream" target over the winter but that the club could not stump up the cash to buy him from Manchester City

179127_thumb.jpg

Mancini wants 'champion' Rooney at Manchester City
The Italian manager has admitted that he would love to bring the United forward to the Etihad Stadium, and would sign Ryan Giggs too if he were a few years younger

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

145863_thumb.jpg

'Arsenal have been over-reliant on Van Persie this season' - Benayoun
The Israeli international conceded the Gunners squad need to do more to help out their skipper and feels the club must do their utmost to keep him at the Emirates next season

157847_thumb.jpg

Nani reveals discussions over new contract at Manchester United
The Portuguese moved to end speculation over his Old Trafford future as he announced he is negotiating a new deal, and took time to praise manager Sir Alex Ferguson

179128_thumb.jpg

Tevez: I want to stay at Manchester City and repay Mancini's faith
Controversial Argentine striker says he has patched up his differences with his manager and wants to fire the club to the Premier League title

139618_thumb.jpg

Evra: It will be hard to stop Manchester City if they win first Premier League title
Frenchman adamant he and his United team-mates must stop Roberto Mancini's side having any success if they are to continue to dominate the top flight of English football

175837_thumb.jpg

Redknapp now has to save Tottenham job after astonishing fall from grace
The Spurs boss was overlooked for the England role as the FA approached Roy Hodgson over the weekend - and now the people's choice risks being unemployed in the summer

175837_thumb.jpg

Redknapp eyeing new Tottenham deal after England snub
Spurs boss admits he doesn't believe he will be offered the chance to manage the Three Lions following FA's approach for West Brom boss and now wants a new contract at Spurs

178731_thumb.jpg

'We want to be number one in Manchester' - Mancini
The Italian wants City to emulate the success of rivals United and feels his team will be better in the coming seasons for their experience in this year's campaign

151625_thumb.jpg

'Shocked' Hodgson begins England talks
West Brom boss prepared to play hardball as formal negotiations with four-man FA committee begin just a week after he thought his chances of replacing Fabio Capello had gone

178731_thumb.jpg

'Premier League triumph would be the biggest achievement of my career' - Mancini
The 47-year-old ex-Inter Milan boss is bidding to become the first Italian manager to lead a team to the title in England, a league which he describes as 'the best in Europe'

181736_thumb.jpg

Manchester prepares for biggest derby ever to decide epic title race
City and United are both ready for title decider at the Etihad Stadium as their cross-city rivalry hits a new level in the final stages of the race for the Premier League title

169111_thumb.jpg

'If we don't win, we are out of the title race' - Yaya Toure demanding victory in Manchester derby
Ivorian insists Roberto Mancini's side 'do not care' about their 6-1 win at Old Trafford earlier in the season and admits he thought the title would have been decided by now

170808_thumb.jpg

De Gea: Manchester United won’t park the bus against City
The Spanish goalkeeper insists the Red Devils will look to win at the Etihad Stadium on Monday, despite knowing a draw will keep them in the driving seat for the title run-in

150486_thumb.jpg

Al Ain 'very confident' of securing permanent deal for Sunderland's Ghanaian striker Asamoah Gyan
The on-loan Ghanaian forward netted 22 goals in all competitions for the UAE champions and they are bullish on completing a deal to keep him at the club permanently

105628_thumb.jpg

Montpellier captain Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa eyes 'dream' Manchester United move
The centre-back also spoke highly of fellow Premier League team Arsenal as an attractive destination with his long-term future in France a doubt after an impressive season

173788_thumb.jpg

Hazard eyes Premier League summer switch as Manchester United & City scout Lille forward
The forward confirmed he wishes to move to England this summer, while Stuart Pearce was also present to monitor the progress of Joe Cole

124433_thumb.jpg

FA approaches Roy Hodgson over England manager position
The former Liverpool boss has previous experience at international level after spells with Switzerland, UAE and Finland with his current deal set to expire at the end of the season

182844_thumb.jpg

Redknapp predicts ‘tight’ race for fourth after dominant Tottenham win over Blackburn Rovers
The White Hart Lane boss, who has overseen a slump in form over the second half of Spurs’ season, also praised Kyle Walker for his brilliant free-kick in their 2-0 home victory

130837_thumb.jpg

Spearing insists he ‘deserves’ place at Liverpool
The Anfield academy graduate says he has never contemplated leaving the club despite the arrival of big-money signings in his position last summer

169889_thumb.jpg

Giggs buzzing for crunch Manchester derby clash
The Welshman could make his 908th appearance for Manchester United on Monday night, and he believes the game will be one of the biggest of his career

182776_thumb.jpg

Torres: Chelsea still want top-four finish despite reaching Champions League final
The 28-year-old has been delighted with the Blues' recent displays in important games, but suggested that his own performances have dipped despite his hat-trick against QPR

182745_thumb.jpg

Torres rediscovers lethal touch as hat-trick rounds off perfect week for Chelsea
The £50 million striker scored his first treble for the Stamford Bridge outfit as the Blues hammered QPR 6-1 to follow up their magnificent draw in Barcelona

89130_thumb.jpg

Moyes: Pienaar’s Everton future has not been discussed
The Toffees manager has denied rumours that talks over the midfielder’s future at the club have taken place despite the 30-year-old’s loan spell set to end in the summer

170066_thumb.jpg

Liverpool tracking AZ midfielder Elm - report
Anfield boss Kenny Dalglish is believed to be contemplating a swoop for the Sweden international playmaker as he looks to rebuild his side for a push for the Premier League title

177353_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson set to launch Manchester United bid for Sigurdsson this summer - report
Old Trafford manager is believed to be keeping close tabs on the Iceland international who has impressed since arriving at Swansea on loan, and may offer £10 million for him

181069_thumb.jpg

Manchester United target Kagawa unwilling to sign new contract
The Japan international, who has been heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford, has rejected an extension and now seems certain to leave the Westfalenstadion in the summer

151094_thumb.jpg

Feyenoord reveal Kuyt is unlikely to arrive
The Eredivisie giants have made it clear that the there is only a very slim chance to see the Dutchman return to De Kuip at this point due to financial reasons

181682_thumb.jpg

Lescott will take cautious approach against Young in Manchester derby
The City defender reveals he'll be playing it safe when he comes up against United's flying winger because he's aware the slighest contact could send him tumbling to the ground

179128_thumb.jpg

Manchester City's Tevez set to land huge pay bonus - report
The returning Argentine and the rest of Roberto Mancini's squad could be rewarded with bonuses of more than £100,000 if they go on to lift the club's first Premier League trophy

163312_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Nani blasts team for letting Manchester City back into title race
Portuguese winger has lambasted the Red Devils for not having the Premier League wrapped up by now - and admitted he would love to see out his career at Old Trafford

177725_thumb.jpg

Ivanovic calls for Di Matteo to be appointed Chelsea's permanent manager
Stamford Bridge's Serbian defender believes the Italian deserves to be offered the post - even if Blues suffer defeats to Liverpool and Bayern Munich in the forthcoming cup finals

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Redknapp eyeing new Tottenham deal after England snub

Spurs boss admits he doesn't believe he will be offered the chance to manage the Three Lions following FA's approach for West Brom boss and now wants a new contract at Spurs

175837hp2.jpg

Apr 30, 2012 9:21:00 AM

By Simon Sinclair

Harry Redknapp has admitted he is not expecting to become the next England manager after the Football Association entered talks with Roy Hodgson about succeeding Fabio Capello.

The Tottenham boss was the initial overwhelming favourite to take over from the Italian after leading Spurs to a top-three spot, but form has tailed off at White Hart Lane since, possibly costing Redknapp a chance to lead the Three Lions.

A 'shocked' Hodgson had also expected the former Portsmouth boss to get the national job, but has been revealed as the only candidate in discussions with the FA and Redknapp wished the former Liverpool manager luck, if he takes the job on.

"I can't see it [the England job] coming up for me now," Redknapp told The Times."Good luck to Roy. Everyone else was saying I might get it but I never spoke to [Tottenham chairman] Daniel Levy about England."

The 65-year-old revealed he is happy to stay with the north London side and is eyeing a new contract to remain at the club for the foreseeable future - despite a tricky run of form which has dented Tottenham’s Champions League hopes for next season.

He added: "I've got a great job at Spurs and I'd like to continue that for as long as I can. It's up to Daniel whether I get a new contract but I'd like to stay on.

"We've had a few difficult weeks but it's been a great four years. I will plan the future here."

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: The world most expensive bench warmer is pretty choosy

127836_thumb.jpg

Cech lauds Chelsea's big-game experience ahead of Newcastle clash
The 29-year-old believes recent exposure to crucial encounters will stand them in good stead against the Magpies, who are, according to the keeper, in unchartered territory

181622_thumb.jpg

Di Matteo undecided over Drogba or Torres for FA Cup final
A striker selection headache for the Chelsea interim boss as he plots how to beat Liverpool in the Wembley end of season showpiece

114127_thumb.jpg

Suarez's second goal against Norwich was better than his third, says Liverpool midfielder Shelvey
The youngster believes that the run and fierce finish across goalkeeer John Ruddy to send the Reds 2-0 up was better than his 45-yard chip from the halfway line

182745_thumb.jpg

Torres eyes victories over Newcastle and Liverpool to end Chelsea season on high note
Fresh from a hat-trick against QPR, the 28-year-old is looking to keep up the momentum as the club head into five crucial days that could define their campaign as a whole

176667_thumb.jpg

Dalglish: Liverpool's FA Cup final starting XI still undecided
The Reds manager has told his charges there is still time for them to stake a claim for a starting berth in Saturday's final against Chelsea at Wembley

167243_thumb.jpg

Van der Sar: Manchester United will win Premier League title
The former Holland goalkeeper explained that his old club have the experience under Sir Alex Ferguson to see off Roberto Mancini's side despite recently dropping points

178189_thumb.jpg

Pro-active Podolski signing proves Arsenal are learning their lesson
The Gunners have moved early to bring in the Germany international after struggling to secure quality acquisitions in recent transfer windows

104834_thumb.jpg

Chelsea enter partnership with Formula One team Sauber
Blues chief executive Ron Gourlay insists that the link can create commerical opportunities and drew parallels between the two organisations

182369_thumb.jpg

'There is nothing greater than Chelsea' - Marin
Werder Bremen sporting director Klaus Allofs expressed his belief that the German international's skills did not suit the style of the club after he signed a deal with the Blues

171486_thumb.jpg

Arsenal sign Lukas Podolski
The Gunners have been linked with the German international throughout the season, and his club have now confirmed he will switch to the Premier League this summer

156586_thumb.jpg

Uefa chief Platini welcomes Chelsea Asian player programme
The three-time Ballon d'Or winner credited the Blues for their work in trying to increase representation of the south Asian community in English football

182888_thumb.jpg

Hazard’s timing perfect as he rocks PSG’s title hopes in front of Manchester giants
Just as he was most under the spotlight from the Premier League duo, the young Belgian star produced an outstanding performance to hit les Parisiens' Ligue 1 aspirations

166271_thumb.jpg

'I want to stay in Premier League' - Sigurdsson
The Hoffenheim midfielder has scored seven goals this season on loan at Swansea and has told the German club that he wants a permanent move to a club in the English top-flight

179145_thumb.jpg

Tevez: I can't imagine fan reaction to Manchester City title win
The Argentine forward has courted controversy this season but says he and his team-mates are focused on Monday's derby clash with United and winning the Premier League

125474_thumb.jpg

'Derby win won't hand Manchester United the trophy' - Carrick
England international feels the outcome of clash on Monday will not have bearing on who will win the Premier League and insists none of Red Devils' trophy wins have come easy

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: The world most expensive bench warmer is pretty choosy

159027_thumb.jpg

Sessegnon: My work at Sunderland is not finished
The Benin international, who was crowned the fans' Player of the Year on Monday, has dimissed suggestions he is unhappy on Wearside and affirmed his commitment to the Black Cats

114127_thumb.jpg

Shelvey hoping to stake claim for Liverpool FA Cup final berth
The 20-year-old has been in good form since being brought in to cover injured duo Lucas and Charlie Adam and is hoping to work his way into his manager's plans for the weekend

135798_thumb.jpg

Rose unhappy with Tottenham's lack of squad rotation
The left-back also reveals he was not allowed to leave the club on loan to gain experience and insists he wants to be part of Team GB's Olympic squad this summer

92846_thumb.jpg

Manchester City are hot favourites to win the Premier League from here, admits ex-United stopper Parker
Former United right-back believes City will clinch their first Premier League title by winning at Newcastle and then beating another of his former clubs in Queens Park Rangers

170643_thumb.jpg

'They are better off without him' - Dunne blasts former Manchester City chief executive Garry Cook
The former club captain at the Etihad Stadium has taken a swipe at the disgraced former CEO and believes the Citizens will only flourish without him

183154_thumb.jpg

Juventus mulling over move for Kalou
The Ivorian is out of contract at the end of the season and has attracted interest from around Europe but the Bianconeri are still not sure whether to bring the forward to Turin

183067_thumb.jpg

Mancini: Manchester United still favourites for the title despite derby defeat
Italian saw his side rise to the top of the table once more with their 1-0 win over the Red Devils, but the former Inter man believes their rivals have an easier final two games

183074_thumb.jpg

Red mist as blue moon rises - Mancini wins touchline battle with Sir Alex Ferguson
There was evidence that the powers of the Manchester United manager are on the wane as his team and tactics failed miserably in their crucial clash at the Etihad Stadium

140709_thumb.jpg

Jose Enrique calls on Liverpool to continue momentum against Fulham ahead of FA Cup final
The Spaniard is hoping the Reds can build on last weekend's win over Norwich ahead of their showdown with Chelsea, and has hailed Luis Suarez's hat-trick at Carrow Road

172209_thumb.jpg

Saha: Redknapp's England snub is good for Tottenham
Spurs have won just three league games since the 65-year-old was made favourite for the Three Lions position, but the Frenchman assured it did not affect the squad

174847_thumb.jpg

Moyes tells Pearce to forget about selecting Everton starlet Rodwell for Team GB
With the 21-year-old featuring sporadically for the Toffees this season due to hamstring trouble, the Everton boss has suggested he should not risk his fitness at the Olympics

176667_thumb.jpg

Dalglish warns Liverpool to forget about FA Cup final ahead of Fulham clash
The Scotsman insists his side must give their all against the Cottagers in the league on Tuesday, with a half-hearted approach just as likely to result in injuries and defeat

158426_thumb.jpg

Podolski will be a big hit in the Premier League at Arsenal, says Woodcock
Former Gunners and Koln striker believes 26-year-old German international has timed his move to Emirates to perfection but is unsure if move will persuade Robin van Persie to stay

182462_thumb.jpg

Pardew: I let Newcastle down psychologically and tactically against Wigan
The Magpies were denied a seventh win in a row at the DW Stadium after going four goals down in the first half and the 50-year-old admits the team are also to blame

183070_thumb.jpg

Aguero sets sights on Premier League title after Manchester City's derby victory
Argentine striker is now aiming for glory after an impressive team performance against neighbours United, thanking fans for keeping the side going throughout the match

183067_thumb.jpg

Mancini plays down ‘deserved’ Manchester City triumph over United
A superb defensive display from the Blues, who prevented the Red Devils from having a single shot on target all match, ensured they went top of the league with the 1-0 win

175837_thumb.jpg

Redknapp: England speculation may have distracted Tottenham
Spurs boss acknowledges that talk about the national team could have affected his side after their form took a turn for the worse while he was touted as Fabio Capello's successor

183074_thumb.jpg

Frustrated Sir Alex Ferguson admits Manchester City are now in full control of Premier League title race
The United manager was disappointed with his side's lack of chances at the Etihad Stadium and also criticised Roberto Mancini's conduct towards officials on the touchline

183061_thumb.jpg

Manchester City have waited a long time for this moment, says Kompany
The Belgium international scored the winner in the crucial derby clash to put his side top and give Roberto Mancini's men momentum heading into the final two games of the season

166436_thumb.jpg

Mata: Early goals were the difference for Chelsea
The Blues midfielder went up to 13 assists for the season after aiding his fellow Spaniard Torres to two of his three goals in yesterday's 6-1 derby win over QPR

183085_thumb.jpg

Hart hails Manchester City's defence after victory over United
Goalkeeper praises his side's defensive performance after stopping the Red Devils from getting a shot on target but warns that focus is required as the title race is not over yet

151673_thumb.jpg

Giovani dos Santos likely to leave Tottenham in the summer
The Mexican almost left White Hart Lane at the end of last season but Spurs boss is looking to offload the winger for a fee before his contract expires in the summer of 2013

183064_thumb.jpg

Kompany a fitting match-winner in momentous Manchester derby victory
The City captain headed home the game's only goal on the stroke of half time to leave Roberto Mancini's side top of the league with two matches to go in the title run-in

108862_thumb.jpg

Thomas Vermaelen happy with Arsenal's defensive performance
Gunners defender happy with sides defensive performance in the 1-1 draw at Stoke and was impressed with team's tactical play and believes side need to keep up performances

182831_thumb.jpg

Redknapp: Sandro was a real monster against Blackburn
The defensive midfielder has come in for criticism in recent weeks as Spurs have wavered in their top-four quest, but he was in dominant mood against a pitiful Rovers side

114112_thumb.jpg

Fulham's Dembele aiming for Liverpool scalp
The fleet-footed Belgian playmaker has been one of the Cottagers' standout players this season and is looking for a win and a league finish above the 18-times English champions