• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bottled Water Disaster

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Best is bring drink from home mean home made. Not those can drink. Can also need energy to made . Energy/electricity also come from oil.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Best is bring drink from home mean home made. Not those can drink. Can also need energy to made . Energy/electricity also come from oil.

In Singapore, we have good water and there is no necessity to buy bottled water unless it is an emergency. In fact water is the best liquid for our body and drinks like coke and other types are not beneficial. Many kids are obese due to large intakes of such drinks encouraged by parents who knows no better. Anyone agree that this is good education for all should bump this thread to pass the message to as many viewers as possible. The resources to manufacture these bottles, the immense profits and the pollution it creates is good enough reason to bring your own re-usable water bottle.

jw5

Loyal
In SG, the water from the tap is potable. I prefer to boil first, then drink.
In many other countries, water from the tap is not potable, so many people resort to bottled water. To reduce the number of plastic bottles, I suggest refill stations at supermarkets or hypermarts.
Still have to pay, but less in view of the cost of the bottles and the effort to go and refill.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forumer cestbon, see this regarding your sig :biggrin:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/948Nm34arfA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Use glass instead of plastic. Would that be a better packaging choice?

A generation ago, glass bottles were recycled by returning them back and getting small change in return. Today, about 20% gets recycled whilst the rest and all our rubbish goes to Pulau Semakau. That island is being filled up faster than expected and more incinerators are planned (we have 5 today). With the expansion of our population, and the throw away mentality, not much are being recycled. We have a huge problem in accumulating more and more waste.

Glass bottles as a water refillable container is not practical as it is heavy and fragile. There are good plastic bottles that can last for years and do not leech chemicals.

Water having unique properties has a problem as it has a tendency to dissolve everything that is in it. Some people believe that water is either alive or dead. There is only one place on earth that has the purest form of natural water and is inaccessible. Many believe that our cells require constant replenishment of water to cure the body's illness. I won't go into that but those who are interested can always do some research about water and it's unique properties.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In SG, the water from the tap is potable. I prefer to boil first, then drink.
In many other countries, water from the tap is not potable, so many people resort to bottled water. To reduce the number of plastic bottles, I suggest refill stations at supermarkets or hypermarts.
Still have to pay, but less in view of the cost of the bottles and the effort to go and refill.

I agree that all drinkable water should be boiled first and not straight from the tap, just to play safe.

The danger in bottled water is that plastics leech chemicals harmful to our bodies and when exposed to UV from the sun it decomposes. Many people buy bottled water and place them in sunlight especially those with cars or re-use them instead of throwing them away. Worst, parents are too kiam and let their children have these bottles (PET) in replacement of safe recyclable water bottles (polycarbonate BPA Free).

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forumer cestbon, see this regarding your sig :biggrin:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/948Nm34arfA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gearge Carlin is saying the same things but differently. We are the cause of the problems facing us and eventually kill ourselves, nevermind the planet as it will rejuvenate as it has done for billions of years.

jw5

Loyal
Many believe that our cells require constant replenishment of water to cure the body's illness.

For mild cases of flu, sore throat and cough, drinking lots of water really helps and may even negate medication. Mild cases only though.
I take lots of cold water against better advice. :o

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For mild cases of flu, sore throat and cough, drinking lots of water really helps and may even negate medication. Mild cases only though.

Take slightly warm water as it can remove phlegm easier than cold water. LKY himself never drink cold water. I tend to drink coffee and very warm water when I have a cold.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
For sore throat, drink cold beer.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Triangle Number Under Your Water Bottle
Are you guys aware that the triangle number under your water bottle actually means something? It tells us what type of material the plastic bottle was made of. And the recent studies suggested that the most popular hard, clear and durable plastic bottle that we used was made of Polycarbonate and one of the key components of this is the endocrine-disrupting bisphenol-A (BPA). BPA can leach into the liquid and making the water toxic and can cause breast cancer in women or prostate cancer in men and some other illnesses. This bottle has numbered (3), (6) or (7) in the triangle. So, I would advice all my friends and family members to stop using any water bottle that has a number (3,6,7) under the bottle. The most common plastic bottle that we have seen everywhere has a number (7) in the triangle. I just threw away mine, all six of them. I know this bottle looks nice but it can kill also!

I guess the best re-usable water bottle would be one made from stainless steel as they don't leach any chemicals. But it can be expensive. The other is aluminum as it is BPA free and very reasonably priced. Other alternative is to look for water bottles that contained number (2) (high-density polyethylene), (4) (low-density polyethylene) and (5) (polypropylene) if it is plastic made.

If not, just drink from the glass or coffee cup. Use glasses while at home and only use the plastic water bottles with number (2), (4) and (5) in the triangle while going out. Number (1) water plastic bottle is safe to use but it was not meant to be re-used.

For updated information, click here. Looks like water bottle number (1) is safe for one time and repeated use, as long as you wash it with soap and dry it nicely each time after use.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltWeHOkdczc?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltWeHOkdczc?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bottled water (not mineral) has become a fad. People carrying one all the time. Go to the western countries and watch especially the ladies holding a bottle. It has become a security blanket. Similar to black kids 20 years ago carrying a boombox.

In the late 1980s, F&N launched Ice Mountain which became a runaway best seller in their stable. They laughed all the way to the bank and all it was was PUB water filtered once more.

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
A generation ago, glass bottles were recycled by returning them back and getting small change in return. Today, about 20% gets recycled whilst the rest and all our rubbish goes to Pulau Semakau. That island is being filled up faster than expected and more incinerators are planned (we have 5 today). With the expansion of our population, and the throw away mentality, not much are being recycled. We have a huge problem in accumulating more and more waste.

Glass bottles as a water refillable container is not practical as it is heavy and fragile. There are good plastic bottles that can last for years and do not leech chemicals.

Water having unique properties has a problem as it has a tendency to dissolve everything that is in it. Some people believe that water is either alive or dead. There is only one place on earth that has the purest form of natural water and is inaccessible. Many believe that our cells require constant replenishment of water to cure the body's illness. I won't go into that but those who are interested can always do some research about water and it's unique properties.

For water refillable containers I would strongly recommend using stainless stell containers. :smile:

I mean those on shopping marts which sells the bottled version of water. Since plastic is non-biodegradable, why not use glass bottles instead? It's true that last time there's a small return when you recycle glass bottles (I was one of those who collected glass bottles like mad just to get peanuts), however, with education, I believe that the current generation will be able to rely less on plastic. :smile:

Oh wait, I forgot one point. Singaporeans cannot be educated. :biggrin:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
For water refillable containers I would strongly recommend using stainless stell containers. :smile:

I mean those on shopping marts which sells the bottled version of water. Since plastic is non-biodegradable, why not use glass bottles instead? It's true that last time there's a small return when you recycle glass bottles (I was one of those who collected glass bottles like mad just to get peanuts), however, with education, I believe that the current generation will be able to rely less on plastic. :smile:

Oh wait, I forgot one point. Singaporeans cannot be educated. :biggrin:

After talking cock, you forgot that you don't have a cock!

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
about 70% of our body is water fluid, and quality of water that we drink is very important. i dislike the idea that we may be drinking newater. anyway, i bought one of those water purifying system connected straight to the tap, which provide alkaline pure drinking water and able to detoxify the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_water

Bottled water (not mineral) has become a fad. People carrying one all the time. Go to the western countries and watch especially the ladies holding a bottle. It has become a security blanket. Similar to black kids 20 years ago carrying a boombox.

In the late 1980s, F&N launched Ice Mountain which became a runaway best seller in their stable. They laughed all the way to the bank and all it was was PUB water filtered once more.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I mean those on shopping marts which sells the bottled version of water. Since plastic is non-biodegradable, why not use glass bottles instead? .....

Glass or stainless steel is not practical. Glass is heavy & breaks while Stainless Steel is very expensive.

I've only seen glass used in Thailand in some of the hotelsl which provides glass bottles of complimentary water.

In indonesia households go to watering stations to re-fill their big water jugs, similar to the ones you find in Spore offices. These huge water jugs are re-usable. However these large jugs would not be practical in Spore because they are large & heavy.