• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Expat alleges overcharging by Boat Quay Seafood restaurant after S$1,000 lunch

Y

Yip Hon

>

Expat alleges overcharging by Boat Quay
Seafood restaurant after S$1,000 lunch

by Leong Wee Keat 04:47 AM Jun 17, 2011

SINGAPORE - Company director Ian McArthur could hardly believe his eyes when he saw the bill for lunch with his friend on Wednesday: It came up to $1,107.32, including S$348.80 for a 1.6kg lobster and $564 for a 3kg crab.

The Scot, who has been working here since last October, told Today: "I thought, 'It must be wrong. I can't believe this.'"

Mr McArthur then approached the staff of Forum Seafood Village - a restaurant at Boat Quay - seeking an explanation. He was told that those were the market prices.

But Mr McArthur told Today that the staff did not inform them how much the crustaceans weighed or the total cost before cooking the food. "It wasn't just the price. We feel that we were misled that's why we were upset about it," he added.

Apart from the king crab and lobster, Mr McArthur and his friend had a plate of fried rice and four glasses of beer.

Alleging that he was "grossly overcharged", Mr McArthur filed a complaint with the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) on Wednesday against the restaurant, seeking a S$900 refund.

But Mr Vincent Hoh, a restaurant employee who served Mr McArthur, said he told the diners the crustaceans' weight. When asked if he told the diners the total cost of the crustaceans, Mr Hoh replied he did not.

Forum Seafood Village manager Jo Chia said the restaurant does not usually inform diners of the total price of their seafood, unless diners ask for it.

Said Ms Chia: "We tried to tell customers (the total price) but some guests say it's too troublesome and tell us not to bother them."

Some patrons have also commented that, by informing them of the total price, the staff would be suggesting that they could not afford it, Mr Hoh said.

Ms Chia pointed out the restaurant's seafood prices are listed clearly - according to cost per 100g - at the restaurant's entrance and on the menu. "Our prices are market prices. We won't overcharge our customers," she said.

Ms Chia said the restaurant's owner is overseas and has not decided on its course of action with regard to the complaint.

Forum Seafood Village, which operates two outlets along Boat Quay, charges S$21.80 per 100g for the Australian lobster and S$18.80 per 100g for the king crab, after discounts. The usual prices were S$32 and S$25 per 100g for the lobster and king crab, respectively. A check with neighbouring restaurants found one restaurant charging S$18.80 per 100g for the Australian lobster and another charging S$10 per 100g for Alaskan King Crab.

Responding to Today's queries, CASE said it has received 12 complaints for overcharging by food and beverage outlets in the first five months of this year. There were 27 complaints last year, up from 15 in 2009.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Time for our super portfolio Yeo Guat Kwang to zoom in to rescue! He has all the keys to every economic sector in town.

With power, comes great responsibility.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
what an uneducated and low life sinkie comment. luckily i stay away from sinkies.

CB kia tonychat,

i understd that u always try to overcharge the angmor clients that patronised your thai prostitute ladyboy wife as well.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. honest, such whites are asking for it.
2. if cannot afford some expensive lunch or meal, don't partonize high-end places.
3. just go for some 2.5 buck or less chicken rice.
4. don't know the location, go ask case for its detailed survey!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hi there

1. honest, such whites are asking for it.
2. if cannot afford some expensive lunch or meal, don't partonize high-end places.
3. just go for some 2.5 buck or less chicken rice.
4. don't know the location, go ask case for its detailed survey!

The whites aren't the only ones got what in Hokkien says " car chye tau" ( chop vegetable or carrot head), recent years news, wasn't there some Pinoy or Pinoys was overcharge for some CRABS? remember, made so much noise!? This is not as bad as SINgaporeans over charged for more than 25 years or more for low quality 'chilli craps' by the famous 'chilli craps stall'...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Boat Quay in the news again:eek:

The STB should warn tourists about the dangerous crocodiles in Boat Quay, Sim Lim, China Town,....:smile:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Restaurant should reply Ang Moh that it is PAP that is overcharging them; restaurant were merely collecting money for PAP.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Boat Quay money tree is in its last days so the restaurants better shake it fast. I heard the whole area will be redeveloped into another Clark Quay soon.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Boat Quay money tree is in its last days so the restaurants better shake it fast. I heard the whole area will be redeveloped into another Clark Quay soon.

With so many other expensive places around that area I don't think anyone is going to miss that place. With the "upgrade" I really wonder if the market is able to support another rental increase.

Places like Bangkok has seen a fall in angmo tourists because of the bad economy in angmo land & high baht exchange rate. It's worse in Spore with the high prices & equally bad exchange rate.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Restaurant should reply Ang Moh that it is PAP that is overcharging them; restaurant were merely collecting money for PAP.

Ang Moh will say, "who the fark is PAP", Resturant people will reply " greater than god"! ha ha ha

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Boat Quay in the news again:eek:

The STB should warn tourists about the dangerous crocodiles in Boat Quay, Sim Lim, China Town,....:smile:

STPB will tell the tourist it is Caveat Emptor....there is no cure for stupidity..don't the read the sign first before entering, look around first, ask the prices first....??

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
STPB will tell the tourist it is Caveat Emptor....there is no cure for stupidity..don't the read the sign first before entering, look around first, ask the prices first....??

Must give the angmo chance lah. In his homeland he would look at what is available & not how much :biggrin:

Just look at Bangkok they have the tourist police to help the foreign victims.
I remember watching a movie clip about the seriousness of taking drugs on flights coming into Spore.

It wouldn't be hard to add on a warning about crocodiles. I'm sure it can done cheaply. Can even ask the old leave to do it for free:smile: They can start by having him do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfvA7HQACuU

He would of course be brandishing his trademarked brass knuckles :p

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The most I've paod was $380+ for a lobster, abalone, scallop and a crab dish at Sentosa for 4 people, I think that restaurant is really too much.

Last edited:

Buckethead

Alfrescian
Loyal
The recent event of 2 female singaporean in nude squat case, MFA said "are serious and raise concerns"...these overcharging of restaurants to foreigners is not a concern to our country image?...

Maybe now we should promote ourself as a country of "fine wine and dine....but prepare to pay more"....

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please lah, 1.6 kg lobster is not small and 3 kg Alaskan crab... How can 2 guys eat finish? Anyway, it's expensive but I dun think it's overcharging. It's not Sri Lankan crab...

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Order lobster, order crab, at Boat Quay restaurant, in Singapore? Expect cheap?

The cheapo here is the company director. These places, and crustaceans are not for filling one's tummy. It's to "impress" client. As company director, he should know that. He's a capitalist. Anyway he can always pass this cost onto his next client.

Next time he should go to MacDonald's.

Cheers!

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Restaurant should reply ....that it is PAP that is overcharging them; restaurant were merely collecting money for PAP.

The "Mat Salleh" stupid or what-been here since last Oct and still blur.
This dot is now one of the most expensive places in the world-otherwise how can the Ministers collect the highest salary un the world.

Compared to the amount locals are being screwed by the losses from S-Chips, floodings ,high property prices,ERP/COE,maids levy and losses by Temasek/CIC ect2,this is kachang puteh lah.
Did he not hear an x-pm's wife saying $600,000 is peanuts?
If he has any brains, he would have presented his bill to Head Office and ask for an increase in salary/overseas allowance/entertainment budget.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singapore business men are so squeeze by pap that they are squeezing the customer really bad, lucky my fav food is chicken rice.