• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I am disappointed with the Labour Chief

Summerbee

Alfrescian
Loyal
DBS retrenchment shows our tripartitie system based on trust does not work. There is no use for MVP, AVP that are not enforceable. These are empty talks. Citibank Korea has a strong labour union, they cannot retrench them but, offer the staff voluntary early retirement. Upon being jobless, the Koreans are able to claim up to a percentage of less drawn salaries for some time.

The NTUC structure is questionable and they should spend more time caring for workers, rather than making money everywhere from maid agencies to taxi companies overseas. It is not for NTUC to be in businesses.

The Labour Chief should also spend less time being disappointed with other people.

Man in the streets

Alfrescian
Loyal
WHAT AN APT TITLE !

NTUC was and is never a labor union, it is a PAP -chain provison stores!

Lim Suay Suay is a f88king jerk !

DBS is run by his comrades, and he gets disappointed ? What a PAP joke!

The PAP system is falling apart................KNN !

DBS retrenchment shows our tripartitie system based on trust does not work. There is no use for MVP, AVP that are not enforceable. These are empty talks. Citibank Korea has a strong labour union, they cannot retrench them but, offer the staff voluntary early retirement. Upon being jobless, the Koreans are able to claim up to a percentage of less drawn salaries for some time.

The NTUC structure is questionable and they should spend more time caring for workers, rather than making money everywhere from maid agencies to taxi companies overseas. It is not for NTUC to be in businesses.

The Labour Chief should also spend less time being disappointed with other people.

jw5

Loyal

I wonder if his disappointment can be translated into less retrenchments.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Citibank Korea has a strong labour union, they cannot retrench them but, offer the staff voluntary early retirement. Upon being jobless, the Koreans are able to claim up to a percentage of less drawn salaries for some time. "

phpWGPp3S.jpg

Now u understand why I hate workers' unions? The only time I liked them was when I rode on them to power! *hee*hee*

hunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Todays ST have Lim Swee Say criticizing DBS. Be fair. Should be proud Labour Chief speaks up.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pity him ler ... dey c him as transparent ...

nobody show u respect ... mite as well resign n go elsewhere ...

Mentri_Besar_emas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lim SS : "every month when i received my payslip, I see the CPF contribution, I feel so RICH " .. rmbr this was wat he said, or somethg like that..

Summerbee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Todays ST have Lim Swee Say criticizing DBS. Be fair. Should be proud Labour Chief speaks up.

Only in this country that people feel proud when labour chief speaks out on what is essentially his job. All the regulations and changes these years on MVP, AVP, NTUC, CPF, and all labour chief can say is to express disappointment, and we are supposed to be proud of him? And you Hunter are still harping about how Opp MPs are earning alot while being blind to the million dollar Labour Chief.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
U mean just paying lips service is call speaking up for the workers ? What the hell is the so call "TRIPATITE" ? Where does the union come in and help it own people ? We are suppose to proud of him ?

Labour chief ? I think it more like figure head !

hunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
U mean just paying lips service is call speaking up for the workers ? What the hell is the so call "TRIPATITE" ? Where does the union come in and help it own people ? We are suppose to proud of him ?

Labour chief ? I think it more like figure head !

I have no love for these men-in-white drawing millions while the ordinary citizen suffer.

But he has the guts to speak up against DBS ie. he is telling the DBS board off. There are some powerful people on the DBS board. And the labour chief has the guts to tick these people off :biggrin:

Summerbee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no love for these men-in-white drawing millions while the ordinary citizen suffer.

Ok Hunter, apologies if I got carried away.

On the labour front, its hard for those outside the civil service to understand the hardship in private sector. Whether you are PAP or Opp, to have a Labour Chief that can only express disappointment is a huge disappointment in itself.

There is no structure in place to prevent unreasonable layoff without first trying other means. DBS is still making money, just less profitable. We are seeing a bank which enjoy certain privileges (merger with POSB, govt bank accounts etc) setting the tone for mass layoffs not because it is losing money but because it is making less. And even so without trying to cut MVP for AVP, which exposed these variable pay ideas from NTUC as essentially useless.

The ruling govt is people-action-party, not people-express-disappointment-party, but what can the Labour Chief do? Toothless. We need to take better care of our workers.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
No point complaining in sinkeeland. Sinkees will only wake up when their pockets are hit!
But then again the so-called NTUC Chief is concerned only for the DBS emplyees ? What about the private sector employees who are retrenched day in and day out ? Did he say anything ? NO! Honestly, the NTUC is just the political/election arm of the MIW,not to protect the interests of the sinkee workers.

SevenEleven

Alfrescian
Loyal
it came a little too late. DBS had announced the retrenchment. Nothing was said. DBS said that the whole retrenchment takes 2 days and the "critisize" came only on the 2nd day late aftrnoon. The war was over liao!!!!

Summerbee

Alfrescian
Loyal
it came a little too late. DBS had announced the retrenchment. Nothing was said. DBS said that the whole retrenchment takes 2 days and the "critisize" came only on the 2nd day late aftrnoon. The war was over liao!!!!

It was precisely because employers are able to pull a fast one in singapore, thats why the labour structure has been exposed. In other countries, some would need employers to inform unions in advance, or to prove that additional measures had been taken before job cuts were considered, such as reduced pay etc. Or to prove that the company need to cut jobs in the first place such as actually losing money and not merely a reduction in profits.

This fast and quick retrenchment is possible and only showed we were shortchanged in labour protection. Look, we need to treat workers properly not like some statistics. Economic growth is meaningless if Singaporeans are not part of the growth, pap or opp.

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Please lah.. you think the sway sway fellow really cares for the workers..? No... He is feeling disappointed because he was not consulted prior to the announcement of retrenchment and he was not in the "know" about the whole thing. That has resulted in him losing face (boh bin liao)..

The outcome would probably still be the same (retrenchment of 900 staff) had prior consultation been taken place..But he would feel better bcos he is in the know..

Last edited: