• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HDB must provide a proper facility for the elected MP to meet the people session

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am my own man: WP’s Yaw Shin Leong

<cite class="byline vcard">By Faris Mokhtar | SingaporeScene – <abbr title="2011-05-11T20:57:32Z">Thu, May 12, 2011</abbr></cite>

400yahoo_yawshinleong1.jpg
WP's elected MP for Hougang SMC Yaw Shin Leong conducted his first Meet-the-People-Session on Wednesday evening. …

The Workers' Party (WP) new elected MP for Hougang SMC Yaw Shin Leong says that both he and party chief Low Thia Khiang are their "own men" and that he will have a different approach in managing the constituency. Yaw, 34, was speaking to reporters at the sideline of his first Meet-the-People-Session (MPS) held at Block 310, Hougang Avenue 5 on Wednesday evening.
He took over the reigns of helming the single-member ward from WP's secretary-general Low after defeating People's Action Party (PAP) candidate Desmond Choo in the recent general election by winning a convincing 64.81 percent of the vote share.
The ward has been an opposition stronghold ever since Low secured victory in the 1991 polls.
"Mr Low is his own man, he has very big shoes. But I would like to wear a size that is comfortable to myself," he said.
"But having said that of course, constituents who are familiar with him would also want to expect some form of continuity and to a very large extent, I am for continuity and I will not be changing too much at this juncture."
While Yaw -- who is also the party's organising secretary -- said that he will continue with Low's approach in the first few months, subsequently, he plans to improve on the latter's methods and add his own touch in serving the residents.
"Whatever practices he has in place, I will continue them. I will fine-tune and maybe improve upon some of the mechanism and processes. Maybe later, when I have settled in and get to know more of the grassroots volunteers, helpers and constituents," he said.

400yahoo_yawshinleongresidents.jpg
WP's Yaw Shin Leong attending to residents at his Meet-the-People-Session. (Yahoo! photo/ Faris Mokhtar)

In fact, Yaw had already started to implement his own practices by starting the MPS half an hour earlier at 7.30pm as compared to Low whose session usually begins at 8pm.
"Both of us, we are our own men in that sense, so, I will do my best. My own style is that, I know in two hours you can't do much, so, what I've done is that I started half an hour earlier."
He added that being at a younger age, he is more open to technology and will also leverage on social media platforms to engage his constituents of a younger generation. "I blog he (Low) don't, you know," said Yaw laughing.
Still, it seems that he has also followed in Low's footsteps of attending and paying respects at the funerals of his residents — saying he had attended one earlier in the day. When asked whether he is continuing the tradition, Yaw dismissed this notion, saying that he was merely carrying on a "duty".
"I don't see it as a tradition, I see it as a duty. I think it's important because during funeral wakes is really the time where you can really understand what are the issues faced by the grieving family. So I think it is a very important duty for the MP to actually go down to the ground to understand the issues," he said.
Yaw also emphasized on the importance of sustainability, which he said was the single most important advice given to him by his mentor, Low. He added that over the course of assisting Low in his MPS for over ten years, it has helped him understand some of the issues and concerns on the ground.
"I understand that it is important not to over-promise, as much as possible I would rather sit down and assess the situation. If I want to launch a progamme, I will ensure that the programme is sustainable," said Yaw.

400yahoo_yawshinleongmps.jpg
Residents waiting to consult WP's elected MP Yaw Shin Leong at Hougang Avenue 5, Blk 310 on Wednesday evening. …

When asked whether he would be able to deal with residents who might not be satisfied with the assistance that he has provided, Yaw said that this is "part and parcel of the duty".
"There will be different people, different mindsets, so it's important for myself to be able to work with everyone to understand the issues from all angles and to know why certain people feel certain way and try to put myself in their shoes," he said, adding that he has a heavy sense of responsibility to the voters.
Although there are no concrete ideas to improve on the constituency as of yet, Yaw said that he will have to examine issues such as the structural well-being of the estates, including the need for covered walkways and the Lift Upgrading Programme (LUP) before he lays down the action plans required.
"So, I guess I will be looking at all these things, probably we got to sit down, examine all those things and then we will come down to a concrete plan subsequently."
He also said that the handover process of the town council is in its transitional period, adding that there was no need to rush and that it must be done in a systematic way.
Yaw pointed out that the party is also exploring a "cross-type of system" whereby Aljunied residents would be able to seek assistance at his MPS in Hougang and vice versa. But he emphasised that Hougang residents would still be his main priority.
Meanwhile, he also rejected the suggestion that the WP is outshining other opposition parties, saying that it is important to have check and balances regardless which party is in charge.
"I'm of the view that this must be a consistent process whereby you can never say that the Workers' Party is the alternative party.
"Because the whole idea of political competition is that you really need to have elements and mechanisms of competitions to ensure that the incumbent party, be it the ruling party or maybe in terms of the party that is administrating the constituency does his work.
"So I believe in this check and balance mechanism even in the context of the Hougang constituency," he explained.

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
the answer is obvious y they will not give opposition wards aircon MPS venues. once there is aircon MPS venue, not only will the infrastractures be on par, but may even make the incumbents look bad.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"What political party helps an opposition to come to power? Why should we not demolish them before they get started? Once they get started, its more difficult to demolish them"
- MM Lee

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hougang, you will not regret voting for WP, they serve with a heart even without proper facility...Are people in Hougang paying tax or are they tax free, maybe that will apply to the people of Aljunied GRC? Just wondering, currently how many PAP MPs conduct meet the people session in the open void deck?

Even thou we hve lose Hougang and Aljunied to the opp, but government should continue to provide and upgrade these two constituency just for one simple reason...we are son and daughters of Singapore, everyone should be equal in the eyes of government.... No constituency should be left behind, if not how are we going to achieve the so called ''swiss standard of living''.

My 2 cent worh of opinion....

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Workers’ Party MPs decide on wards in Aljunied

<cite class="byline vcard">By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene – <abbr title="2011-05-12T08:52:08Z">1 hour 8 minutes ago</abbr></cite>

The Workers' Party defeated the People's Action Party team to win a GRC in this year's General Election. …

The Workers' Party has decided which Aljunied GRC ward each of its elected Members of Parliament will take charge of.
According to The Straits Times, WP chief Low Thia Khiang will take charge of the Bedok Reservoir-Punggol ward, which was under Foreign Minister George Yeo.
WP chairman Sylvia Lim will take over the Serangoon ward from Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Lim Hwee Hua, while corporate lawyer Chen Show Mao will take on Cynthia Phua's Paya Lebar ward.
Postgraduate law student Pritam Singh will takeover Senior Minister of State (Foreign Affairs) Zainul Abidin Rasheed's Eunos ward while family counsellor Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap will replace the People's Action Party's first-time candidate Ong Ye Kung at Kaki Bukit.
The WP is also expected to announce whether it will be taking up its two Non-Constituency MP posts later on Thursday.

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
3704118534_0eb2eceae9_o.jpg

With this horse in charge of HDB, WP can forget about getting a proper facility.
Indeed he is spore citizens No.1 greatest enemy.
He is the cause of 90% of sporean unhappiness and sufferings.
He caused the opposition to suffer much hardship by denying them of their basic facilities to operate.
As long as this horse is not rid of, sporeans will never enjoy peace and prosperity.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

With this horse in charge of HDB, WP can forget about getting a proper facility.
He caused the opposition to suffer much hardship by denying them of their basic facilities to operate.
As long as this horse is not rid of, sporeans will never enjoy peace and prosperity.

Gosh his picture reminds me of the villians in power rangers.

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal

come 2016, as i say before...i will say it agian, put another CSM, he will be finnish!

Airlib

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously, by letting the opposition operate their MPS in such simple condition just show the pettiness of the govt.... Anyway, it goes to show, can work means can work. No need air-con place lah, office lah, also can help residents one lor....
Front so nice, but end up also wayang also no point right

NT-Farcist

Alfrescian
Loyal
MBT or HDB:
Step 1: Applicants must apply to set up the office at HDB property. An open tender must be called for all interested parties to bid for the space. HDB approved valuer will be appointed to determine the minimum bid price based on market rate. Applicants must build the office at own cost, appoint Qualified Person (i.e. Professional Engineer) to design the layout and M&E services.

Step 2: Applicants must apply to URA for change of use from void deck to office.
Step 3: Applicants must apply to Civil Defence Force to get a fire permit.
Step 4: Apply to Singapore Police Force for permit to have meet the people session. else it will be illegal gathering.
Step 5: Apply to Town Council for permission to use common property...(oops that's yourself, but we still need the paper work to get approval from the relevant authorities.
Step 6: Submit names of all workers, especially Foreign Talents, to Ministry of Manpower for approval.
Step 7: Submit a insurance policy to fully indemnify the residents living above the said premises.

Do you still want to apply?