• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

New Hougang MP holds first Meet-the-People session By Wayne Chan

Rakyat

By Wayne Chan | Posted:
<table width="260" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="20" align="right"> </td> <td width="240" align="right">
phpajO6f6.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" height="60"> </td> <td class="update" valign="top" height="80"> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="138" bgcolor="f6f6f6">Photos </td> <td width="47" bgcolor="f6f6f6">1 of 1</td> <td width="18" bgcolor="f6f6f6"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" type="image" width="18" height="15"></td> <td width="19" bgcolor="f6f6f6"><input id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" type="image" width="19" height="15"></td> <td width="18" bgcolor="f6f6f6"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" type="image" width="18" height="15"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>
dotline_240.gif

Yaw Shin Leong meeting residents at his first Meet-the-People session after the elections.</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td class="update"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table width="510" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="4"><hr size="1" width="510" align="left" color="#dddddd"></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4" valign="middle" width="510" height="30">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4"><hr size="1" width="510" align="left" color="#dddddd"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>

SINGAPORE: Hougang's new MP from the Workers' Party, Yaw Shin Leong held his first Meet-the-People session on Wednesday.

It was in the same venue, Block 310 in Hougang Avenue 5, that his predecessor Mr Low Thia Khiang was using. But there will be some differences.

Mr Yaw said he will be starting his sessions half an hour earlier at 7.30pm so he can see more residents and some who came on Wednesday were from Aljunied Group Representation Constituency, which has also elected the Worker' Party as its representatives in Parliament.

Mr Yaw said, while there is no formal system in place, the Workers' Party is looking at allowing Aljunied residents to meet their MPs at Hougang and vice-versa.

He said: "I believe in continuity at least for the next nine months to 12 months, whatever good practices which Mr Low Thia Khiang has in place, I will continue them. So I will fine tune and maybe improve upon some of the mechanisms and processes."

By Wayne Chan | Posted:
<table width="260" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="20" align="right"> </td> <td width="240" align="right">
phpajO6f6.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" height="60"> </td> <td class="update" valign="top" height="80"> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="138" bgcolor="f6f6f6">Photos </td> <td width="47" bgcolor="f6f6f6">1 of 1</td> <td width="18" bgcolor="f6f6f6"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" type="image" width="18" height="15"></td> <td width="19" bgcolor="f6f6f6"><input id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" type="image" width="19" height="15"></td> <td width="18" bgcolor="f6f6f6"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" type="image" width="18" height="15"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>
dotline_240.gif

Yaw Shin Leong meeting residents at his first Meet-the-People session after the elections.</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td class="update"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table width="510" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="4"><hr size="1" width="510" align="left" color="#dddddd"></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4" valign="middle" width="510" height="30">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4"><hr size="1" width="510" align="left" color="#dddddd"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>

SINGAPORE: Hougang's new MP from the Workers' Party, Yaw Shin Leong held his first Meet-the-People session on Wednesday.

It was in the same venue, Block 310 in Hougang Avenue 5, that his predecessor Mr Low Thia Khiang was using. But there will be some differences.

Mr Yaw said he will be starting his sessions half an hour earlier at 7.30pm so he can see more residents and some who came on Wednesday were from Aljunied Group Representation Constituency, which has also elected the Worker' Party as its representatives in Parliament.

Mr Yaw said, while there is no formal system in place, the Workers' Party is looking at allowing Aljunied residents to meet their MPs at Hougang and vice-versa.

He said: "I believe in continuity at least for the next nine months to 12 months, whatever good practices which Mr Low Thia Khiang has in place, I will continue them. So I will fine tune and maybe improve upon some of the mechanisms and processes."

No proper office space.

kukubird58

hahaha....i think this is a bit overdoing it lah.....
the MPS is held so openly.......a little sensitivity (at least some partitions) will go a long way to put pple at ease.

FuzzyDude

Saw him in the news, he was sweating like a pig.....
With the recent heatwave, really felt sorry for him...........

cleareyes

hahaha....i think this is a bit overdoing it lah.....
the MPS is held so openly.......a little sensitivity (at least some partitions) will go a long way to put pple at ease.

What can WP do? LTK did wanted to have an ofice but HDB didnt allow it. So this is the bst option. in fact Chiam held his MPS the same way in Potong Pasir too.

If PAP and their agencies such as HDB wanted to make things difficult, WP just have the find other ways to make things work.

aangsc

another double standard ! I hope to rich opposition supporter can spare an office space for WP meet the people session. It is just once a week isn't it ? Even a few partition and a air-cooler would be nice . I would have melt like a candle under the recent heatwave.

PAP have office or not ? Meet the people session

1. bro, just go to all taxpayers' community centers.
2. all airconditioned ones!
3. paid by taxpayers' monies.
4. double-standard.
5. now, this is listening and emotional connection!

Fool_Me_Hard

He is following his mentor's tradition of holding meet the people's session in the void deck instead of air con office. We may feel its unfair, but sitting in an uncomfortable place will make them understand the poor people better since those people never have comfortable lives anyway.

No proper office space.

The residents have repented for the last twenty years for their MP have to see them at the void deck, while the RC's is to serve the ruling party, this is the same island wide. If the PAP really sincere about changing, change this first, RC CC etc fascilties to SERVE the people, use their own Party spaces for their specific purpose. Kindergarten services should also be independent of any political party or else allow the oppositions to start theirs also.

The following is an example of a pap style meet the people session SOP.

pap mps normally held in pap pcf aka kindergarten or RC zone office.first, the residents who need help will have to register (machiam like polyclinic) for a quene number, some go as early as 5pm+. If i remember correctly (5 yrs ago), the number only give out ard 7pm. Then will have to wait till 8pm for the "mps" to start in one room and when your number is call, a minder will check your I/C to see whether you are in the correct ward There will also be a cisco there to keep an eye over thing. beyond that will be another open room with ard 8-10 tables. The minder will direct you to a empty table with a RC lackey waiting for u. Mind you, it do not mean u get to see your mpee, no sir.. what u get are those RC lackeys who will interview u and write a letter for your mpee to endorse only. The mpee will only make his/her grand appearance at 9+/10pm to shake a few hands and make grand promises to help without even speaking to any of the resident personally. It just a show face excerise.

As for people making comments about WP lack of privatcy, pap mps not much better as so many were in the room. One can basically hear what the next table problems. The only thing pap mps have is aircon but the sheer number of residents asking for help mean a number of them will have to wait outside too.

OK, i never attend WP hougang mps before but as a 22 years resident of hougang smc, i had many time observe the mps conducted at blk 310 on every wednesday as i walk past the place in the past. the volunteers at WP MPS are not as many as pap and residents will have to sit on plastic chair provided by the TC. The one thing seperate wp mps to pap mps is that WP MP always interview the resident personally while a helper sit near to him to write down the residents problem in order to draft the letter to the relevant govt depts. While WP MP letter may not work, (pap mpee signed letter also dont guranetee work) at least the resident knew the WP MP had done his best to help them. A resident in pap ward will not be as indebted as he only see the RC lackey only and the lackey letter didnt work too. In fact the resident lagi tulan as he wasted a whole night seeking help from the mpee yet fail to speak to the mpee personally and the bloody letter wrote by the rc lackey was of no use.:mad:

mind you, the pap mpee i quote as an example not even those ministar level, just a entry level mpee only yet he already behave like that. i was shock by the sheer number of ppl at the pap mps, from the conversation i had with fellow residents there, many of them are have come to pap repeatedly. It not that they are greedy but the letter they got from the mpee didnt solve them problems. That the only time i go pap mps, the time wasted totally dont worth it. btw, my letter from the lackey also kenna rejected by the govt dept despite what my then-mpee claim the ministar of that ministry to "his brother". yes, i spoke to the immortal but only briefly as he stop by my table as the lackey stop the immortal to seek his opinion.

1. the venue has little impact.
2. it is personal attention, the listening process and of course sincerity.
3. looking into the eyes of the "helping" hands, an individual can easily know who is real or faking.
4. my take, those rc things are useless and very ball-licking too!

eQuipment

opposition MPs believe in the kampong spirit, residents sweat in the humidity, the MP sweat together with them. unlike the white shirt MP, sit inside aircon office while the residents sweat outside, then when its their turn to see the MP, they only have 1min to catch a glimpse before they're showed the exit.

lianbeng says, "u have said correctly - that's why they bohpian must sweat it out at void deck lor - kampong spirit mah." :biggrin:

The following is an example of a pap style meet the people session SOP.

pap mps normally held in pap pcf aka kindergarten or RC zone office.first, the residents who need help will have to register (machiam like polyclinic) for a quene number, some go as early as 5pm+. If i remember correctly (5 yrs ago), the number only give out ard 7pm. Then will have to wait till 8pm for the "mps" to start in one room and when your number is call, a minder will check your I/C to see whether you are in the correct ward There will also be a cisco there to keep an eye over thing. beyond that will be another open room with ard 8-10 tables. The minder will direct you to a empty table with a RC lackey waiting for u. Mind you, it do not mean u get to see your mpee, no sir.. what u get are those RC lackeys who will interview u and write a letter for your mpee to endorse only. The mpee will only make his/her grand appearance at 9+/10pm to shake a few hands and make grand promises to help without even speaking to any of the resident personally. It just a show face excerise.

As for people making comments about WP lack of privatcy, pap mps not much better as so many were in the room. One can basically hear what the next table problems. The only thing pap mps have is aircon but the sheer number of residents asking for help mean a number of them will have to wait outside too.

OK, i never attend WP hougang mps before but as a 22 years resident of hougang smc, i had many time observe the mps conducted at blk 310 on every wednesday as i walk past the place in the past. the volunteers at WP MPS are not as many as pap and residents will have to sit on plastic chair provided by the TC. The one thing seperate wp mps to pap mps is that WP MP always interview the resident personally while a helper sit near to him to write down the residents problem in order to draft the letter to the relevant govt depts. While WP MP letter may not work, (pap mpee signed letter also dont guranetee work) at least the resident knew the WP MP had done his best to help them. A resident in pap ward will not be as indebted as he only see the RC lackey only and the lackey letter didnt work too. In fact the resident lagi tulan as he wasted a whole night seeking help from the mpee yet fail to speak to the mpee personally and the bloody letter wrote by the rc lackey was of no use.:mad:

mind you, the pap mpee i quote as an example not even those ministar level, just a entry level mpee only yet he already behave like that. i was shock by the sheer number of ppl at the pap mps, from the conversation i had with fellow residents there, many of them are have come to pap repeatedly. It not that they are greedy but the letter they got from the mpee didnt solve them problems. That the only time i go pap mps, the time wasted totally dont worth it. btw, my letter from the lackey also kenna rejected by the govt dept despite what my then-mpee claim the ministar of that ministry to "his brother". yes, i spoke to the immortal but only briefly as he stop by my table as the lackey stop the immortal to seek his opinion.

Thanks for the input/