• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why crowd at rally cheered WP, then fell silent

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST Forum
Home > ST Forum > Story
May 3, 2011
Why crowd at rally cheered WP, then fell silent

THE People's Action Party (PAP) has an excellent record in maintaining strong economic growth.

Singapore was one of the first nations to rebound from the latest financial crisis.

Through due diligence and hard work, we have achieved virtually absolute stability and security.

Unfortunately, many Singaporeans take such hard-earned progress for granted and prefer to focus on policy shortcomings.

Have they been fair to the Government?

No government in this world is capable of satisfying all that its citizens desire, so why are we expecting the PAP to accomplish the impossible?

At a Workers' Party rally I attended, the speakers were swift to criticise PAP policies, and that drew the cheers.

But when the speakers began to propose policies they would initiate to replace those of the PAP, the crowd fell silent.

In my view, the contrasting reaction is due to the fact that although many Singaporeans may be displeased with the PAP for various reasons, they remain unconvinced that the opposition parties would deliver on their promises.

Is Singapore then ready to let the opposition take charge of our country?

Do we not acknowledge the repercussions if Foreign Minister George Yeo were to leave the Cabinet should WP win Aljunied GRC?

Voters will need to seriously weigh the pros and cons of the rival parties when they cast their ballots on Saturday.

Shauna Loh (Miss)

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_663907.html

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
George Yeo has no foreign policies. He issues travel advisories to travel agencies and tourists and always issues statements that he's puzzled when Malaysia, Indonesia, China etc. do something unfavorable to Singapore, or welcome if it's favorable. SM is the Senior Foreign Minister. I'm not good in Chinese but I've checked with Chinese friends. The Chinese title for SM is about the same as the US Secretary of State, i.e. Foreign Minister. George is Asst Foreign Minister at best.

Last edited:

seebaysong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Izit bcos your mouth is sucking them so hard tt they cannot tahan so need to bite their fingers and keep quiet !?!

leoman

Alfrescian
Loyal
------------------------------------
No government in this world is capable of satisfying all that its citizens desire, so why are we expecting the PAP to accomplish the impossible?
------------------------------------

exactllee d sentiment, those who r satisfy with pap vote 'em. aljunied grc pple mayb deprived n misaligned , so they vote APs.
wat d heck? tis is call election !!

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
George Yeo has no foreign policies. He issues travel advisories to travel agencies and tourists and always issues statements that he's puzzled when Malaysia, Indonesia, China etc. do something unfavorable to Singapore, or welcome if it's favorable. SM is the Senior Foreign Minister. I'm not good in Chinese but I've checked with Chinese friends. The Chinese title for SM is about the same as the US Secretary of State, i.e. Foreign Minister. George is Asst Foreign Minister at best.

MBT will one up him when GY gets kicked out and they transfer him over

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortunately, many Singaporeans take such hard-earned progress for granted and prefer to focus on policy shortcomings.

Have they been fair to the Government?

Yes, Singaporeans are actually quite fair. While Singaporeans do not expected the Govt to be perfect, we do expect their policies to be in the 99 percentile.

Why 99% percentile? Because that's the expectation from their multi-million dollars annual pay package. Is that fair that the ministers be paid in the 99 percentile and yet expected to achieve less than 90 percentile?

While I am in the minority group who believe that the multi-million pay package is actually fine for the ministers, am in the majority group that also believe in performance driven system. If the superscale & above civil service wants to benchmark itself to the private section, then their performance/penalties should also be similar to that of the private section.

You-cant-handle-the-truth.png

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
that miss low who wrote this to the press has shit for brains. just bcos all the seats r contested doesnt mean all the oppositions will win the remaining 82 seats in parliament. just bcos a certain policy doesnt please the audience or herself, doesnt mean that the incumbent has had good or better policies.

for her to make this silly comment is very low, in essence, not very different from opposition supporter attending pap rally & shouting opposition slogans & booing the speaker.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
i was there and how come i did not feel it?

in fact whenever LTK and team introduced alternative proposal on

1 pegging sales of housing to first timer to middle income,
2 CPF pegging to pension scheme as recommended by world bank
3 lowering cost of transportation, concession for elderly and offpeak
4 have a bloody good look at current foreigners policy and limit their numbers
5 introduced a "insurance" like scheme work in synergy with current medisave to deal with rising health care. CPF can be used to pay this insurance so that citizen dun feel the pain

the crowd went wild. that bloody reporter is a mole from pappy for writting this nonsensical report