• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Students not following local uni dress codes. Too sexy? Not us

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Students not following local uni dress codes
Too sexy? Not us
By Shree Ann Mathavan

November 10, 2008

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_SMDRESS-Q85.jpg

JUST BEING THEMSELVES: NUS' Jas Tan, Goh Chui Ting, Cherylene Chia, Jolene Ong, and NTU's Lynn Ho and Yong Chui Shan. TNP PICTURES: JONATHAN CHOO

UNDERGRADUATES we spoke to from Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and the National University of Singapore (NUS) on Friday sang the same tune when asked about their choice of attire.

We don't dress sexily, they said. Even though they were clad in mini-skirts, shorts, tube tops and strappy tank tops that bared legs and shoulders.

Instead, the preferred term was 'average' when it came to describing their dressing.

Dressing sexily may be subjective, but flashing too much skin in school can land one in trouble - as students in one private school recently found out.

The Management Development Institute of Singapore (MDIS), a private school, started enforcing its stringent dress code from last month.

The list of banned items include singlets, low-cut tops, shorts and mini-skirts.

Other items frowned upon include slippers, dyed hair, facial piercings and visible tattoos.

And the school certainly means business.

It was reported that students who flout the rules repeatedly could face suspension, as well as expulsion.

The New Paper visited both NUS and NTU on Friday as both institutions have dress codes, which advise students against wearing shorts, singlets, slippers and clothing with rude slogans.

But generally, these aren't strictly enforced.

Our visit showed many a student clad in short shorts and skimpy tops - dressing that might easily land them in trouble if they had been in MDIS.

Take, for instance, Miss Goh Chui Ting, 21, a third-year psychology student in NUS. She was clad in a green tube top and white shorts.

Miss Goh thinks tertiary students should have the autonomy to wear what they want. She said: 'The move (in MDIS) brings the students back to secondary school days, instead of letting them assume more personal responsibility.

'It's making the assumption that students can't make a decision on how they dress.'

Own identity

While the undergraduate counts shorts, dresses and strappy tops as daily wear, she does not let comments that she reveals too much skin get to her.

Miss Goh said: 'I have a friend who tells me to cover up more, but I see it as a way of reinforcing my own identity.

'I may push the boundaries, but I make sure the parts that are supposed to be covered up, are.'

Besides, as she pointed out, she has never been told that she dresses inappropriately by the school.

While Miss Goh staunchly supports having the freedom to dress as you please, she feels that dress codes - as long as they are not overly restrictive - can serve a purpose.

She said: 'Dress codes can be good because they serve as a deterrent so that people don't get too carried away in their dressing.'

Her friends, Miss Stefanie Tang and Miss Jolene Ong, both 19 and first-year arts students at NUS, share the same sentiment.

The undergraduates, who regularly dress in tank tops and shorts, think their dressing is appropriate for school.

Miss Ong, who was clad in a tube top and white shorts, said: 'We dress like this most of the time, because it's really hot.

NP_IMAGES_SMDRESS-57K.jpg

'We should be given a choice to dress how we want.'

Both undergraduates said they were not aware of their school's dress code.

Miss Tang said: 'As long as you are not too skimpily dressed, I think it's fine. We wear what we feel comfortable in.'

Her definition of too skimpy? 'Really short skirts where if you walk up the stairs, you expose things that you shouldn't.'

But both are quick to add that they do not think their sense of style is sexy.

Over at NTU, Miss Lynn Ho, 21, a first-year design student, noted that dress codes can serve a purpose.

She said: 'There should be a limit to how much skin you show. If you reveal too much, than you aren't showing respect to your lecturers and teachers.'

That said, the undergraduate believes that tertiary institutions should respect students' right to express themselves creatively since they are young adults.

While she is aware of her school's dress code, she noted that it is not strictly enforced.

Miss Ho, who was clad in a white spaghetti-strap top and grey shorts, pointed to her outfit, saying: 'To me, this is okay, because everything is covered up.'

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Miss Ho, who was clad in a white spaghetti-strap top and grey shorts, pointed to her outfit, saying: 'To me, this is okay, because everything is covered up.'

these folks are absolutely right, Singapore is too bloody hot... nothing much we can do about the temperature, but certainly can do something about our fashion sense... what dress codes??? to hell with them and let's all turn up naked! :p:p:p

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
the only right dress code for sg guys in NUS and NTU is in piti kit ready for IPPT. NS slaves should not be confuse with FT talents.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the ban on dyed hair completely is a bit ridiculous- because even some business students will dye their hair light brown.

And if the dyed hair is banned throughout, how would the students in the arts stream respond? I think the arts stream students should be given a little more leeway.

A total ban on this and that can come across as patronising really.

troubledtimes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, I agree with madmansg. ALL sgreans should be wearing only pt kit, its suitable for the weather and operationally ready.

AvalanCh3

Alfrescian
Loyal
everythings must be control, from our media and now even adults must be told what to wear. so whats next? guys must not have piercing tatoo and must wear those 80's mata pants while gers must tie pony tail and weat skirts which must cover their knee?