• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What if Chen Shao Mao made his rally speeches in Hokkien too ??

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was passing by at WP's rally in Serangoon stadium last night and was shocked by the massive crowd. If i knew ,i might alight two bus-stops away but its too late. I even have problem squeezing through the crowd to get by to the shops across the road. What surprised me was that instead of elderly or the middle age spectators which i expected, there was alot of young people,young professionals, look-like university undergrads and some chiobus following their parents to watch.I thought they were there to soak in the atmosphere but they looked very attentively and quietly listening to the speeches.

So i stood for a while to listen to what the speakers articulated.I think they made sense and all the people clapped cheerfully. I was interrupted when a man and his two friends all about 50s popped open their drinks with a sizzle. They bought two cans of drinks and smiled at me when i look at how they seems to be attentively listening to the speeches and cheering the next moment..One of them chat up with me and told me this Chen Shao Mao is a talented guy with impressive credentials but very down to earth. He wishes that Chen can speaks Hokkien to further let people like him to understand more what they are saying. He understood Mandarin but Hokkien is a more "qing chieh"..I tried to excuse Chen, saying that people esp the highly educated nowadays do not know how to speak dialects except only Low who can articulate very clearly in Teochew as the newspaper put it.

"But Chen is born in Taiwan", the uncle said !! ..he should be able to speak Hokkien right..at least some..since many people still understand Hokkien and teochew only..

Wow..i thought if Chen can really made his speech like Low not in Teochew but in Hokkien dialect,the crowds may swelled to 100,000 thousands and i probably cannot squeezed to the shops across the road anymore.

Last edited:

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
speak hokkien, people think he will still have taiwan roots,,,,

speak teochew, thats the language of houngang and punggol.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Difference between Teochew and Hokkien is like that of R&B and Soul. Even Jazz, respecting the view of purists.

Let the fat lady sing!

ahsoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes if he speaks Hokkien, the crowd will go wild.

Hokkien is still the mother tongue of many Singaporeans, be they Chinese or English educated.

Just look at Dr Chee's Hokkien video. It hits 123K in two weeks.

Singaporeans are hungry for Hokkien, just like they are hungry for freedom of speech.

I think Mr Chen should give it a try if he can speak Hokkien. May be just 5 minute for a start and see how the crowd respond.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes if he speaks Hokkien, the crowd will go wild.

Hokkien is still the mother tongue of many Singaporeans, be they Chinese or English educated.

Just look at Dr Chee's Hokkien video. It hits 123K in two weeks.

Singaporeans are hungry for Hokkien, just like they are hungry for freedom of speech.

I think Mr Chen should give it a try if he can speak Hokkien. May be just 5 minute for a start and see how the crowd respond.

I am not Hokkien but guess what comes out of my mouth when I stub my toe on a door jam? Singaporean to the core!

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah..i think the crowds will spilled all over and win the party few thousands more of support. My late grandma used to tell us that MM speaks fluent Hokkien last time too and she loves it very much..too bad he doesn't do it anymore.

English, Mandarin,Malay and Tamil is a must as they are official languages....but If Low speaks Teochew and chen speaks some Hokkien for(about 20 %) of their total speeches, these would be already overwhelming..

Last edited:

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
bottomline,

it's not how Chen says it but rather the message he's trying to convey across.

If sinaporeans are receptive to an alternative to PAP, then Chen can speak in swahili and you will still not vote for him

sgge2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just shout "We want Hokkien" and "We want Teochew" at the rally.

Think CSM and LTK will try their best.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bad idea. Firstly if Chen's family was from Taipei, then Hokkien is most likely not his mothertongue. If he is from south Taiwan, then his Hokkien (min nan) is very very different from ours. This will open up an angle for Pap to shoot again.

The only other hokkien singaporeans can get used to is johore hokkien. Unless Chen Show mao picked up singaporean hokkien during his school and NS years here, speaking it will not connect him to the people.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bad idea. Firstly if Chen's family was from Taipei, then Hokkien is most likely not his mothertongue. If he is from south Taiwan, then his Hokkien (min nan) is very very different from ours. This will open up an angle for Pap to shoot again.

The only other hokkien singaporeans can get used to is johore hokkien. Unless Chen Show mao picked up singaporean hokkien during his school and NS years here, speaking it will not connect him to the people.

min nan and hokkien are the same...just that singapore hokkien are much more simplified..uses less 成語 and etc....fujianese(xiamen) and taiwanese hokkien uses lots of proper chinese words and etc.....they are at a higher standard/level of hokkien...or more 正宗....

just watch 豬哥會社...u can see the quality

Last edited:

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes..hokkien is Minnan..with the all time popularity of Taiwanese 7PM drama at a high, aunties and uncles would be attracted to these rallies and they will understand better. Chen should know how to speaks Hokkien.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes..hokkien is Minnan..with the all time popularity of Taiwanese 7PM drama at a high, aunties and uncles would be attracted to these rallies and they will understand better. Chen should know how to speaks Hokkien.

Chen might not even be brought up in a Hokkien family.
His parents might be mainland Nationalists who fled to Taiwan. A lot of them could not speak Hokkien. I doubt the two Chiangs even speak Hokkien.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes he should....would like to hear him speaking 正宗 hokkien...or he might be a hakka dude as well..lol

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so Chen Mao can speak Teochew but not Hokkien?
WP got a "Taiwanese" who cannot speak Minnan. :biggrin:

anyway I'm a Teochew who don't understand Teochew but speak Hokkien.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
min nan and hokkien are the same...just that singapore hokkien are much more simplified..uses less 成語 and etc....fujianese(xiamen) and taiwanese hokkien uses lots of proper chinese words and etc.....they are at a higher standard/level of hokkien...or more 正宗....

just watch 豬哥會社...u can see the quality

Taiwanese Min nan and Singaporean Hokkien dialect are very different. I have a good friend from Gaoxiong and I can barely understand his hokkien. The tone and some terminology make it difficult for me to understand. Our hokkien is also very localised with malay words. But luckily the important words like KNN, CCB are still common between the 2 lands.

By the way, KNN is considered ultra vulgar in Taiwan. Say it only when you are prepared to get a beer bottle smashed on your head. In singapore, it's like a greeting :biggrin:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Taiwanese Min nan and Singaporean Hokkien dialect are very different. I have a good friend from Gaoxiong and I can barely understand his hokkien. The tone and some terminology make it difficult for me to understand. Our hokkien is also very localised with malay words. But luckily the important words like KNN, CCB are still common between the 2 lands.

it's 95% same with just some different words between us and them.

don't know why you can't understand your Taiwan friend?

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal

By the way, KNN is considered ultra vulgar in Taiwan. Say it only when you are prepared to get a beer bottle smashed on your head. In singapore, it's like a greeting :biggrin:

As i say theirs more 正宗 hokkien...singapore hokkien is more simplified...taiwanese uses many words and terms unlike singapore hokkien....

if one has strong command and knowledge of chinese words, idoms and etc...one will understand...taiwanese uses 成語 in their hokkien...so if one doesnt understand the meaining of it, he or she probably doesnt understand....be it hokkien or mandarin.....

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal

Only trying to explain, not scolding you, so pls pardon me. :biggrin:
That's because KNN in Taiwan actually means kan ne niang (niang as in mother). In SG, KNN has been bastardized to mean kan ne nah and in KNNBCCB, the B actually means bu (as in mother).
In Taiwan, they only use KNNCCB, never KNNBCCB, that's why they only talk about 3 letter and 6 letter vulgarities, never 7 letters.
Bro Sideswipe will know how I know all these useless info. :o :biggrin:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Taiwan, they only use KNNCCB, never KNNBCCB, that's why they only talk about 3 letter and 6 letter vulgarities, never 7 letters.

I don't know, 中天新闻 don't have all this. :biggrin:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only trying to explain, not scolding you, so pls pardon me. :biggrin:
That's because KNN in Taiwan actually means kan ne niang (niang as in mother). In SG, KNN has been bastardized to mean kan ne nah and in KNNBCCB, the B actually means bu (as in mother).

i concur...