• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Chen Show Mao Affair?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You must be tripping Scroobal, anyway all politicians have their own agenda like i have said earlier.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://wp.sg/2011/04/letter-to-st-forum-from-ms-sylvia-lim-4/

To the ST Forum Editor

Chen Show Mao

I refer to the letter by Dr Ng Eng Hen entitled “Writer’s query on Chen reasonable, says PAP” (19 April).

Voters have every right to scrutinize candidates. However, Dr Ng must know that, even before Chen Show Mao has been formally introduced as a potential WP candidate, he has already been interviewed extensively by various mass media, including Lian He Zao Bao, The Straits Times, Mediacorp TV and most recently, The Business Times. His responses to questions about his decision to return to Singapore, and his motivations for joining the Workers’ Party (WP), have been widely reported. At WP’s formal candidate introduction, there will again be opportunities for the media to pose questions to him.

The fact is that Show Mao’s roots are here. His parents have lived here since 1972. His only sibling and her family are here. He attended our schools, and voluntarily underwent National Service as an infantry officer before he became a citizen. Though he has been abroad due to the nature of his work, he has returned to Singapore typically 4 to 5 times a year, and made contributions to Singapore such as serving on the Advisory Board of the Singapore Management University Law School. He has also said that his wife and children will be joining him in Singapore permanently, and has committed to continuing political work here, regardless of the outcome of the elections.

By again raising the question of Show Mao being outside Singapore for a long time, is the PAP signaling to Singaporeans that the return of a successful Singaporean is not welcome? Or is his loyalty being questioned simply because he is with WP?

SYLVIA LIM
CHAIRMAN, WORKERS’ PARTY

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
If CSM is really that ambitious, he would be entering politics on PAP's ticket. I am sure with his credential, he could easily qualify for a place in the cabinet. Even if everything goes on smoothly for WP, it will be another 15 to 20 years before they could take over PAP. By then how old will CSM be?

Credentials again?! Please, people, credentials alone is NOT a sure win ticket.

credentials.gif

Last edited:

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
added scroobal to my list of pap dogs. CB screwball, i used to suspect u r a pap mole, somehow i have stop doing that becos u seem to be bashing pap a lot these 2 years. now your pap dog tail is showing again.

fuck u.:oIo::oIo:
Why am I not in the list?? :mad::oIo::oIo::oIo:

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Scroobal

Are you hinting that Chen is a PAP mole? Well, who cares if he is or is not. He's still an exciting candidate to watch.

Also, did Mr Chen himself say he voluntarily chose to serve NS? Or was it said by somebody else on his behalf. Actually, the fact is Mr Chen had a choice whether to do NS or not. Of course, if he didn't do NS, he would've to give up his PR. So he chose to do NS to keep his PR? There's nothing wrong with that really. That shows he wanted to be a Singapore PR and maybe citizen. So he got his citizenship in order to qualify for the Rhodes scholarship? Again, I don't find anything wrong with that. Aren't you in Australia now? Are you an Australia PR? You became an Australia PR for some reasons right? If one day you decide to take up the Aussie citizenship, you also must your reasons, right? So what's wrong with Mr Chen taking up Singapore citizenship for the opportunity of the scholarship? Many people emigrate to other countries for better opportunities, better standard of living, etc.

Actually, I can understand why people like Mr Chen is joining opposition politics.

ONE - the old man is old, the time is ripe. Singapore's coffers are full. Whoever form the next government get to manage one of biggest sovereign funds in the world.

TWO - Mr Chen is at the pinnacle of his career. He probably cannot see himself going any higher. And while the renumeration of a top Wall Street lawyer is high, it won't make you a billionaire. Also, at the end of the day, you are just a lawyer serving the really big boys. Mr Chen is at the top of the Maslow Hierachy of Needs. He needs a different platform, a different stage to fully realize his talents. What better platform than to return to Singapore and fight to grap power from the PAP? If WP takes over the government one day in the future, he could well be the PM of Singapore. When you are rich, you crave for power. And for attention seekers, nothing beats having thousands of people cheering you on. Ask the Clintons, Obama, etc., they know. While Mr Chen seems like a self-effacing guy on the surface (no doubt due to his Chinese upbringing), the records of his student days show somebody who wants to lead. Most leaders also like attention and recognition.

THREE - Why the opposition and not PAP? Well, some people don't like to be Yes man. Also, if he joins PAP, he would have to fight with many others to climb up. By joining the opposition, he immediately gets to join the exco - a do or break. Mr Chen is also waiting for the demise of the old man - point no. ONE. Also, he probably feel that the WP has a good chance this time.

There is not such thing as True Altruism.
When asked why she was doing what she was doing, she answered "for the salvation of my soul". So even the purpose of the sacrifices of Mother Theresa is to save her own soul.

CONCLUSION: We should welcome Chen Show Mao and support him. The PAP could use some good oppositon - that is, if he is not a PAP mole (which does not seem likely).

Long Live Chairman Mao.

Towards the Re-unification of China and Singapore!

Last edited:

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the system back then was fair. PR should not be given scholarship. It is the current system that is unfair. I hope CSM is not bitter about it. Iif so, he is joining politics for the wrong reason.

CSM came back and the reasons he gave for wanting to join opposition in politics is nothing about his bitterness over his failed entry into medical school or how unfair the system was to him back then.

Huat-Ah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chen Show Mao is way much BETTER than Dr Janil / Empty Tin Pei Ling / Mah Bow Tan / Vivian Bala !!

Chen, USE your THOR Hammer power to HAMMER all those PAP CLOWNS !!

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
To Scroobal

Also, how do u know he failed the BMAT? During his time, there was a policy to 'encourage' (actually force) top students to study humanities instead of medicine and engineering. Too many scholars were studying engineering and medicine and the government wanted to 'spread the talents'. There were special humanities classes in NJC and HCJC at that time with specially trained teachers, many from UK. Chen Show Mao could be rejected because of this policy.

Long live Chairman Mao.

Towards a New World Order.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
You have for some reason associated doing NS with loyalty to this country. There are many people who have done NS but have refused to take citizenship. In your mind which is you think is indicates a desire to be associated with a country.

Not people are not aware that there is no such thing as volunteer NS.

There was a consequence and he had to do it rather than face the consequence. He is not the only one. There are many other nationalities such as americans, norwegians, finnish etc who have done their NS to retain their PR status or would like to work here.

Years ago, I was on an interview panel and interestingly an ACS alumnus hinted why he felt for Singapore by mentioning that he voluntered for NS. I asked him what was the consequence if he did not volunteer for NS. Not only his jaw dropped but those of 3 other interview panel members. He then admitted that he did it to retain his PR and to be with his mum and dad. After the conclusion of the interview sessions, all three members asked me to fill them in. I told them that NS is a not charity and why would someone not take up citizenship yet do NS. When I told them that someone who is not eligibile for citizenship cannot do NS even if he paid the Govt, it then made sense. Mind you the 3 were senior civil servants and they too had no clue.

Here is another tale. Over the decades there have been ex-PRs in their 20s and 30s requesting to take up option of doing NS to regain their PR or to take up citizenship. The desire to move back and in some cases to eventually take up better career propects are just too strong. As a rule it is a straight rejection. There is no re-offers.

Yes, but what about people like janil Puthucheary who were PRs and never served NS, yet ended up being a singapore citizen. Thousands of male singapore PRs are converting their PRs to citizenships without serving NS. SOme of them are relatively young. It PROVES that you don't need to do NS to be a citizen. If you choose to do NS, than more power and credibility to you.

kazuo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Chen is a corporate lawyer who handles billions of dollars for national govts and MNCs all over the world. i dun have to speak on his behalf, his CV is longer than what many of these upstart generals can ever muster in their lifetime. And to think one of their hotshots couldn’t even plan for an event that cost below $500m?

MIW are shitting in their pants cos Dr Chen not only brings with him experience but valuable connections

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Chen Show Mao

Dr Chen is a corporate lawyer who handles billions of dollars for national govts and MNCs all over the world. i dun have to speak on his behalf, his CV is longer than what many of these upstart generals can ever muster in their lifetime. And to think one of their hotshots couldn’t even plan for an event that cost below $500m?

MIW are shitting in their pants cos Dr Chen not only brings with him experience but valuable connections. emphasis added

I believe those connections will benefit Singapore and Singaporeans. With respect, notwithstanding all the top litigators and lawyers Singapore has produced, I believe that none has been as qualified, well known and internationally experienced as CSM.

Last edited:

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cannot agree more. Anyone willing to give up 2 to 3 years of their lives to the country deserve to be respected for their service to the country. No idea why there is even an issue over CSM. In my books - it is simple. You give your 2 to 3 years in service to country - welcome brother! We spend years trying to give respect to idea of doing NS so much so that Ministers refer to themsleves as BG this or Rear Admiral that. 3 cheers for LCP this and CPL that!!!

Yes, but what about people like janil Puthucheary who were PRs and never served NS, yet ended up being a singapore citizen. Thousands of male singapore PRs are converting their PRs to citizenships without serving NS. SOme of them are relatively young. It PROVES that you don't need to do NS to be a citizen. If you choose to do NS, than more power and credibility to you.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal

People like PAP candidate Gan Thiam Poh is only swimming in the kampong longkang when Chen is already in the Pacific.

I believe those connections will benefit Singapore and Singaporeans. With respect, notwithstanding all the top litigators and lawyers Singapore has produced, I believe that none has been as qualified, well known and internationally experienced as CSM.

kazuo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chen is really like Thor, a mythic figure who has come out of nowhere. Even old man must be wondering how the hell WP managed to get him on its team. Ask around the international law fraternity,
everyone will tell you about Chen's reputation. In April 2011, he was named one of American Lawyer’s 2010 “Dealmakers of the Year.”

Last edited:

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal

And the thing is that he is tested in the international arena. And China IPO is smoking hot area. Many of the MP/Ministers are parachute from GLCs or SAF - all in the family

kazuo

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's right - $22b for Agbank - man, Sinkies are struggling to even manage DBS. but that's not his only achievement. he handles billions of dollars, and its amazing how the PRCs keep hiring him to secure IPOs. What do lawyers here do?
Set up shop to do HDB stamps, and they think they have arrived.

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chen is really like Thor, a mythic figure who has come out of nowhere. Even old man must be wondering how the hell WP managed to get him on its team. Ask around the international law fraternity,
everyone will tell you about Chen's reputation. In April 2011, he was named one of American Lawyer’s 2010 “Dealmakers of the Year.”

This calibre of guy willing to be your MP for less than 10% of his usual pay, what are Aljunied voters hesitating for?