• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Chen Show Mao Affair?

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If CSM is really that ambitious, he would be entering politics on PAP's ticket. I am sure with his credential, he could easily qualify for a place in the cabinet. Even if everything goes on smoothly for WP, it will be another 15 to 20 years before they could take over PAP. By then how old will CSM be?

sooner or later ...someone going to say CSM is a mole planted by PAP ...

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you serve NS, that is already testament to being a Singapore Citizen

Because that is the only time you truly contribute to the country anyway.

Scroobal, what else did you do for Singapore, tell me?

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lockeliberal,

I'm afraid I have to agree with Scroobal here. CSM has not been forthright with the entire truth. He has been selective and as a result, misleading. I do not like to see opposition candidates getting away with this just because they are opposition. If CSM had been a PAP candidate we would all have jumped on his "citizenship for scholarship" point and grilled him till charcoal black.

yah! but when pap people like that, they will still be send in pariahment through the back door with GRC!!! pap people got the 154 media to help them explain and support fire by some por lumpar in the stooge times forum. what others have? so let him in not because we bias, but its the disadvantage they have compare to pap people.

Last edited:

gohsanho

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why dont ask new candidate who didn't serve NS and still think can he can represent the local. How can he represent the local when he do not even understand what we go through in NS. Does he understand what is 'bo keng beh cho peng'? Does he knows the tune 'Everywhere we go oh... people want to know....'

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There must be a great pull or push to move out of comfort zone especially when the change is drastic and the move is "voluntary".

What is the cause of the pull or the push? Have been thinking... conclusion, for all I care. Then why does he care?

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would still vote for CSM if he stands in my constituency. The reason why we are asking these questions online and not in the national papers is the fault of the PAP. The local papers had been twisting and bending for the ruling party for so long that people no longer trust them. They chose to whack Gomez, Tang Liang Hong and other players big time over the past decades that pple see PAP as big bullies.

Now maybe CSM is the big devil walking in the front door while we Singaporeans bicker but we all had it coming with years of PAP dominance.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I would still vote for CSM if he stands in my constituency. The reason why we are asking these questions online and not in the national papers is the fault of the PAP. The local papers had been twisting and bending for the ruling party for so long that people no longer trust them. They chose to whack Gomez, Tang Liang Hong and other players big time over the past decades that pple see PAP as big bullies.

Now maybe CSM is the big devil walking in the front door while we Singaporeans bicker but we all had it coming with years of PAP dominance.

yes..i believed that some of the brothers here give another perspective view of GSM ..which i think is good . which can open up ppl mind . but this is not the right time to implant fear in voters ...timing my friend ...

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...let me gives you kukubird's views on "volunteering".
Volunteer taken loosely means there is a choice.
some pple volunteer to clean the old folks' home.
some pple volunteer to bring meimeis to hotel 81.
the bottomline is that one can choose what to do.....what the motive is is a moot point.
In CSM's case, he had a choice......he can either choose to serve NS or leave Singapore.
he chose to serve (whatever the reason is a moot point), so yes he had volunteered to do NS instead of leaving the country.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
As I have said all along, no one is without faults, all have fallacies. Need to have a good system of checks and balances to address the fallacies of each individual and parties.

All workers have their own personal agenda and motivation in a company. But a good company must have the appropriate system in place to make use of their strengths, counter their weakness, and threats to the company. And employ good workers who can contribute, avoid group think, get rid of wastages, etc.

Therefore, I do not worry too much about CSM affair now, management by exception for now and future.

IMO, is critical now is to have critical opp mass to counter policies that have irreversable and long term negative impact on our country. And also help to polish good policies already in place thru vigourous discourse and demand for accountability.

yes..i believed that some of the brothers here give another perspective view of GSM ..which i think is good . which can open up ppl mind . but this is not the right time to implant fear in voters ...timing my friend ...

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kukubird brain better than Scroobal brain this time. Singapore-born also can choose. Serve 2 years NS or 3 years DB. He has a chance to choose that came with Rhodes scholarship, why fault him for that?

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...let me gives you kukubird's views on "volunteering".
Volunteer taken loosely means there is a choice.
some pple volunteer to clean the old folks' home.
some pple volunteer to bring meimeis to hotel 81.
the bottomline is that one can choose what to do.....what the motive is is a moot point.
In CSM's case, he had a choice......he can either choose to serve NS or leave Singapore.
he chose to serve (whatever the reason is a moot point), so yes he had volunteered to do NS instead of leaving the country.

Good point!

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal
From The American Lawyer: Dealmakers of the Year
Irene Plagianos, Drew Combs, D.M. Levine, and Ross Todd All Articles

The Asian Lawyer
April 11, 2011
Twitterdel.icio.us DiggRedditGoogle BookmarksNewsvineLinkedInMixxStumbleupon
PrintShareEmailReprints & PermissionsPost a Comment
Show-Mao Chen
Photo: Paul Godwin
This month The American Lawyer announced its picks for Dealmakers of the Year--the lawyers who worked on the biggest and most significant deals of 2010. Four of the 15 transactions spotlighted involved Asian companies--no surprise to anyone who's been watching dealflows recently.

From the massive Chinese IPOs by American International Assurance and Agricultural Bank to Zhejiang Geely's purchase of Volvo Car Corporation to the biggest project financing in history, each of these transactions showcases Asia's growing economic power and the bigger roles for lawyers there. Here's the inside story of those deals.

DEAL IN BRIEF: AgBank IPO

Dealmaker: Show-Mao Chen, Davis Polk & Wardwell

Value: $22.1 Billion

Firm's Role: Issuer's Counsel

For a business with something of a dowdy reputation, Agricultural Bank of China Limited--that nation's third-largest lender--had some big ambitions when it decided to go public last year. It wanted to raise a lot of money, perhaps a record amount, despite the global economic crisis. It wanted to move quickly. And--perhaps trickiest of all--it wanted a dual listing, on both the Shanghai Stock Exchange, which trades only in China, and the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, which trades internationally.

To pull it off, the bank, known colloquially as AgBank, turned to a lawyer with plenty of experience with dual listings--Davis Polk & Wardwell's Show-Mao Chen. Four years earlier, Chen, who is based in Beijing, led a Davis Polk team that advised China's biggest bank, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited (ICBC), in its initial public offering. That IPO raised $19 billion, making it the world's largest at the time; it was also the first entity to list shares in Shanghai and Hong Kong.
Dual listings are difficult because each exchange has different sets of regulatory requirements related to disclosure, timing, and underwriting practices. These issues can become especially complicated in a large offering.

So Chen and his team began working under what he calls some of "the most challenging circumstances I have seen" so AgBank's IPO could launch in both markets. By April 2010, the bank had lined up ten lead underwriters, a record number--four for Shanghai and six for Hong Kong. It would fall to the Davis Polk lawyers to manage the various opinions of the underwriters and smoothly incorporate them into the prospectus.

Time constraints increased the pressure. There was talk about other Chinese banks that wanted to go public in 2010, and AgBank wanted to ensure that it would be the first in line. The bank wanted to get the IPO to market by July, giving Chen just a three-month window. "Three months is just about the shortest time to market I've seen for an IPO of this kind," he says. "And it certainly felt like it was done in record time."

Chen had teams of lawyers camped out in Davis Polk's Beijing office to keep up with the demanding pace. Meetings were conducted in both En_glish and Chinese, and all of the documents were drafted in both languages, often doubling the lawyers' work.

Antony Dapiran, a former Freshfields Bruck_haus Deringer partner who worked as AgBank's Hong Kong counsel on the IPO, credits Chen with shepherding a "very complex IPO, done on a very compressed timetable, while managing the many parties involved." (Dapiran left Freshfields after the IPO and is now a partner at Davis Polk.)

Finally, there was the hipness factor: AgBank didn't have much. Because it specializes in agricultural loans, which usually have lower profit margins than other sorts of loans, AgBank had long been called the ugly sister of Chinese state banks, Chen says. That meant that the key to pulling off the IPO was emphasizing the bank's potential for growth. (Chen calls it the "glass half-full" view of the bank.) While its loan margins were small, for example, AgBank had the largest network of banks in China, most of them outside the country's largest cities. So in the prospectus, Chen highlighted the "substantial potential for economic growth" in these rural areas. "We were able to sharpen the focus of the bank's disclosure for investors," he says. "That was crucial."

Their work paid off. When the IPO went to market, it raised $22 billion, a record amount that surpassed the sum raised by ICBC four years earlier. Because the IPO had been priced in China, not overseas, as is more customary, "in a way, this IPO was like a coming-out party for China," Chen says. "It feels like China has really arrived on the international market."

AgBank's record stood for only a few months, until November, when the American IPO that relaunched General Motors Company raised $23 billion. But on July 6, at least, the ugly sister was finally the star of the show.

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202489614581&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
As I have said all along, no one is without faults, all have fallacies. Need to have a good system of checks and balances to address the fallacies of each individual and parties.

All workers have their own personal agenda and motivation in a company. But a good company must have the appropriate system in place to make use of their strengths, counter their weakness, and threats to the company. And employ good workers who can contribute, avoid group think, get rid of wastages, etc.

Therefore, I do not worry too much about CSM affair now, management by exception for now and future.

IMO, is critical now is to have critical opp mass to counter policies that have irreversable and long term negative impact on our country. And also help to polish good policies already in place thru vigourous discourse and demand for accountability.

100% agreed.....

Congratulations to Singapore, we have such quality candidates such as Chen.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
100% agreed.....

Congratulations to Singapore, we have such quality candidates such as Chen.

Surely Workers' Party must have done their check on him. There is no reason for him to be a PAP mole. With his accomplishment, i see very little motivation for him to serve as a PAP mole. I respect Scroobal's deep insight but his take on CSM appears to be over-sceptical

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal is pap plant mole out to destroy opposition during election time, becareful guys.!

you can fool people 1 or 2 time, you can't fools all people, all the times

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Surely Workers' Party must have done their check on him. There is no reason for him to be a PAP mole. With his accomplishment, i see very little motivation for him to serve as a PAP mole. I respect Scroobal's deep insight but his take on CSM appears to be over-sceptical

i also see theres no reason for him to be MIW mole . i also understand where Scroobal and the rest of the brothers are coming from ..its good to be sceptical sometimes ..but as i said before , this is not the RIGHT time to plant fear and confusion in voters . anyway we could see how he perform if he wins ...give him just 5 years to prove himself ...we have been giving MIW so many chances to prove themselves that they are worth the salary for so many years .... yet nothing change infact getting bad to worst . just 5 years to give singaporean another chance to have a better life in singapore . give him a chance ..give yourself a chance ...give singapore a chance to change ..

Last edited: