• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Chen Show Mao Affair?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Chen affair tells me that many Singaporeans are not aware of things in their own country.

Firstly there is no such thing as voluntary NS. And no one in his right mind will want to serve NS for a country that he is not a citizen of. We still have people pedaling this stuff.

There are however option offered to certain category of PRs and it is PRs only. There are number of categories many of which are classified. These are options and if they don't agree to do NS, there consequences such as PR (only eligible for social visits visas )will taken away, cannot work in this country etc. There are some category of PRs which have no choice but to do NS and they are those that are born here or have come at a young age etc.

In a nutshell, if you do not fall in any of these categories, you cannot turn up and volunteer for NS.

I truly disappointed with Chen for not clarifying his true position. He has also done it for the medical admission procedure. Chen did not qualify. He failed the vocational aptitude assessment and this has nothing to do with his high marks. These assessments are now done across the world and many top students do not qualify for medicine because they can't pass the aptitude test. For instance, every years, Oxford and Cambridge hold their medical aptitude assessment in Singapore for student of Asia Pacific. You can get straight As and if you fail this test you can kiss medicine as a vocation goodbye. BMAT is used by Oxbridge and Imperial college and UKCAT for other Universities. For OZ it is called UMAT. These include interviews well.

I wanted to be sure and therefore have checked in regard to his case. He only took up citizenship when he realised that a Taiwanese citizen does not qualify for a Rhodes scholarship. In 1980, he was not eligible for scholarships. Only in 1991 was the Admin service and top tier scholarships opened for PRs.

WP's Chen Show Mao wants to help build strong opposition

Apr 15, 2011 - ST Forum
Chen Sow Mao has done his share for Singapore

MR CHEN Show Mao does not need to explain his decision as his actions have spoken louder than words ('About Chen: Time will tell' by Mr Benjamin Chow; yesterday). His resume alone is an answer but more importantly, it raises some issues our country currently grapples with.

Mr Chen served national service although he was not obliged to. Unlike Mr Chow and me who were born, bred and remain rooted in Singapore, Mr Chen was not born and was not wholly nurtured by Singapore. And yet, he chose to serve. What more do we need to ask of him?

We remember that NS was harsher then, the allowances thinner and yet, the records show Mr Chen served with distinction at the highest level possible. We have serving members of political and high office, including a People's Action Party new candidate, who became Singapore citizens but did not serve NS.

Mr Chen was the top student of his batch but never got to study the course of his choice nor was he given a scholarship. If he was given his choice of study (medicine), he would have probably spent the next 10 years studying and training here.

He was also not given a Singapore scholarship even though he showed academic and leadership qualities (he was president of an elected student council).

We have only ourselves to blame for not rooting this talent in Singapore but rather forcing him to go out into the world to make a name for himself, which he did.

Again, as we struggle with issues such as bond-breakers and foreign talent with no affinity for Singapore, we do have more pressing questions to ask before we start trying to question someone coming back with no reward in sight.

The Singapore opposition politician's life is a hard one, with nothing to gain and everything to lose - with a record that shows only sacrifice for Singapore with very little else in return.

I dare say the facts show Mr Chen in this respect to be whiter than white. Instead of questioning Mr Chen's motives, we have other more urgent matters to resolve.

Tan Suan Tiu

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did CSM come out to say he was rejected for Medicine faculty? Or were all these assumptions made by netizens?

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
serve NS also must explain?

cannot get into meds must explain?

work overseas must explain or not?

did CSM use any of those for his advantage? it is just the netizens perception.

so if CSM got constipation, must he explain?

those are facts provided by the party, there are perceptions by the netizens, if one were to explain all thing as question by the netizens, one just need to sit by computers and answer questions.

why scroobal never asks PAP to justify or answer the questions? double standard?

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

Not volunteer, but he chose to do his NS for whatever reason and that matters. I know of friends who with a PR status but of parents from HK and Australia who likewise chose to do his NS but eventually became an AUSSIE citizenship. similarly he could have chose not to do his NS like some of my Malaysian friends and become a Malaysian Citizen instead.

Chan Chung Sing said that an NS Men is a Singapore Son. Well Chen probably is to for the same reason. we all did NS

Locke

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
CSM came back and the reasons he gave for wanting to join opposition in politics is nothing about his bitterness over his failed entry into medical school or how unfair the system was to him back then. He was never noticed and valued by the government and he moved on to venture to the outside world. He has nevertheless, made his mark in the private sector and now chose to serve the people in politics. If PAP can have those paper Generals running for election, I do not see how is CSM in anyway inferior to these "YES, SIR" men, or any of those inbreeds civil servants who can never muster their guts to go with conscience and defy their superior's orders.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
CMS is a taiwanese ...and if he win the election , PAP sure jilat ...tawainese politicians all very garang ..you will expect some fire sparks in parliament .

sgge2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
CMS is a Singaporean now though he was born in Taiwan which he doesn't have much of a choice.

It's your parent who decide where you should be born!

sgge2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
CMS is now a Singaporean though he was born in Taiwan which he doesn't have much of a choice.

It's your parent who decide where you should be born!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have for some reason associated doing NS with loyalty to this country. There are many people who have done NS but have refused to take citizenship. In your mind which is you think is indicates a desire to be associated with a country.

Not people are not aware that there is no such thing as volunteer NS.

There was a consequence and he had to do it rather than face the consequence. He is not the only one. There are many other nationalities such as americans, norwegians, finnish etc who have done their NS to retain their PR status or would like to work here.

Years ago, I was on an interview panel and interestingly an ACS alumnus hinted why he felt for Singapore by mentioning that he voluntered for NS. I asked him what was the consequence if he did not volunteer for NS. Not only his jaw dropped but those of 3 other interview panel members. He then admitted that he did it to retain his PR and to be with his mum and dad. After the conclusion of the interview sessions, all three members asked me to fill them in. I told them that NS is a not charity and why would someone not take up citizenship yet do NS. When I told them that someone who is not eligibile for citizenship cannot do NS even if he paid the Govt, it then made sense. Mind you the 3 were senior civil servants and they too had no clue.

Here is another tale. Over the decades there have been ex-PRs in their 20s and 30s requesting to take up option of doing NS to regain their PR or to take up citizenship. The desire to move back and in some cases to eventually take up better career propects are just too strong. As a rule it is a straight rejection. There is no re-offers.

Dear Scroobal

Not volunteer, but he chose to do his NS for whatever reason and that matters. I know of friends who with a PR status but of parents from HK and Australia who likewise chose to do his NS but eventually became an AUSSIE citizenship. similarly he could have chose not to do his NS like some of my Malaysian friends and become a Malaysian Citizen instead.

Chan Chung Sing said that an NS Men is a Singapore Son. Well Chen probably is to for the same reason. we all did NS

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is guy who never ever worked in Singapore. Never lived in Singapore since he completed his "volunteer" NS. Never had a house in Singapore. Only took up citizenship to apply for Rhodes Scholarship which Taiwanese nationals are not eligible in the first place.

Are we looking for an academically bright and clearly a successful person or are you looking for someone who understands Singaporeans, spent sometime with Singaporeans as an adult or more likely understand the aspirations of Singaporeans. If it is the former, then he is your man.

Politics is not a dead-end job. In most cases it is pursued by those who are ambitious. It has its rewards.

I would love to see him suceed if he helps to provide an alternative and effective voice in parliament. I am sure all of us do. I find it intriguing that these false claims of volunteering for NS and rejected for medicine are still out there. These things happened 30 years ago and I understand that he made the claims to WP. I have checked. We are now dealing with integrity.

Obviously WP was not aware that there is no such thing as volunteer NS or people are rejected from their choice of subjects for scoring high marks. The latest is that he voluntered not to take up scholarship.

The question is why the sudden love for Singapore.
CSM came back and the reasons he gave for wanting to join opposition in politics is nothing about his bitterness over his failed entry into medical school or how unfair the system was to him back then. He was never noticed and valued by the government and he moved on to venture to the outside world. He has nevertheless, made his mark in the private sector and now chose to serve the people in politics. If PAP can have those paper Generals running for election, I do not see how is CSM in anyway inferior to these "YES, SIR" men, or any of those inbreeds civil servants who can never muster their guts to go with conscience and defy their superior's orders.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
The question is why the sudden love for Singapore.

I see what you are mean. But from his past choices on how he has devoted his time overseas most of his life does not necessarily imply that he is out of touch with Singaporean aspirations or deep inside him whether he has Singapore at heart. On the reverse, we see those truly born and bred in Singapore elites who made their way into politics and keep claiming they are in touch with the people and are "SERVANTS of the PEOPLE", but repeatedly every 5 yrs print those nice manifesto that are soon to be forgotten once they are sworn into office. For those, I doubt they are genuine singaporean or have Singaporeans at heart although they may mave spent almost their entire lives here. No doubt, there is a risk in every choice we make coz it's always hard to tell a person inside out unless we are close by with him and observe him over many years. Same for CSM, it may be a risk that he may be another of those with selfish aims, but 5 yrs is the term for him to prove himself and self-worth. I am also observing. I hope he really makes the mark to be a fomidable opposition candidate who thinks for the People. :smile:

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
if singaporean can trust LKY for so many years ...whats the risk of voting him for 5 years and see what he can do for singaporean ..singaporean already got no choice .....

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
fuck lah! as long he contest under wp, just vote him in. talk so much for what? scroobal, u take money from pap??? start mudslinging and let leeporters and isd read this? :confused:

Last edited:

peterpan777

Alfrescian
Loyal
Firstly there is no such thing as voluntary NS. And no one in his right mind will want to serve NS for a country that he is not a citizen of. We still have people pedaling this stuff.

There is no such thing as voluntary NS for Singaporean male. If you are not a singapore male, it is not compulsory. Since he perform his NS, then it is voluntary NS.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Lockeliberal,

I'm afraid I have to agree with Scroobal here. CSM has not been forthright with the entire truth. He has been selective and as a result, misleading. I do not like to see opposition candidates getting away with this just because they are opposition. If CSM had been a PAP candidate we would all have jumped on his "citizenship for scholarship" point and grilled him till charcoal black.

Dear Scroobal

Locke

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Politics is not a dead-end job. In most cases it is pursued by those who are ambitious. It has its rewards.

If CSM is really that ambitious, he would be entering politics on PAP's ticket. I am sure with his credential, he could easily qualify for a place in the cabinet. Even if everything goes on smoothly for WP, it will be another 15 to 20 years before they could take over PAP. By then how old will CSM be?