• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

new zealand

junkyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
but it is still much higher than in sillypore.. can convinue me why i should live there?

I think the biggest problem is not so much of how *we* need to convince you to move to NZ, but what you need to convince yourself with. True, some of the answers that we provide could possibly canvas a clearer picture, but do they feed your "push" factors, or your "pull"?

Maybe it would help if you were to think about what kind of lifestyle you're after (form up your requirements) not based on what you DON'T want; rather, base your lifestyle on what you WANT.

Then based on those requirements rank up the countries that you can do just that.

Say your requirements are simple:
- Quiet low population footprint
- Relaxed environment for kids, all-round education (not qualifications)
- Outdoors and rural exposure
- Acceptable employment

Then rank these against countries that provide then, then rank again in terms of a secondary goal: ease of entering and staying.

(But since this is a New Zealand thread, I'll assume NZ was ranked as the #1 country against such requirements)

What exactly are you looking for? What are your requirements outside your "SG push factors"?

byfaith

Alfrescian
Loyal
lately i have seen some newspaper advertisment here in sg promoting NZ property.
Has anyone bought one and can share experiences ?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/invest/investment/default.htm

[h=1]Migrant Investment categories[/h]Our Migrant Investment categories are for investors who want to gain residence in New Zealand.

There are two categories: Investor Plus (Investor 1 Category), and Investor (Investor 2 Category). Compare the basic criteria below:

Key requirements
Investor PlusInvestor
Maximum ageNo requirement
65 or younger
Business experienceNo requirement
Minimum of three years
Investment fundsNZ$10 million invested in New Zealand for three yearsNZ$1.5 million invested in New Zealand for four years
Settlement fundsNo requirement
NZ$1 million (transfer not required)
Principal applicant's English languageNo requirement
- an English speaking background, or

- an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test report with an overall band score of three or more, or

- a competent user of English
Family member's English languageNo requirement
Same as principal applicant or pre-purchase ESOL tuition
Minimum time in New Zealand44 days in New Zealand in each of the last two years of the three-year investment period.146 days in New Zealand in each of the last three years of the four-year investment period.
Health and characterApplicants under both categories must meethealth and character requirements.

<caption></caption><tbody>
</tbody>

busybee1688

Alfrescian
Loyal
just wonder anyone know if one will to surrender sg citizenship, holding private property in SG using CPF OA to pay for the house is it a must to sell off the private property and return $ back to CPF board before close the CPF acct. I think not necessary right unless it is HDB flat...

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
just wonder anyone know if one will to surrender sg citizenship, holding private property in SG using CPF OA to pay for the house is it a must to sell off the private property and return $ back to CPF board before close the CPF acct. I think not necessary right unless it is HDB flat...

Landed property or condo?

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yo Boss,

What are your comments when comparing NZ North(other than Auckland) vs South Island, in term of:

1. Job opportunities ( Construction industries)
2. Living environment (Semi retired mentality / Owning house)
3. Business Opportunities ( Construction industries or F&B)

Thanks.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Yo Boss,

What are your comments when comparing NZ North(other than Auckland) vs South Island, in term of:

1. Job opportunities ( Construction industries)
2. Living environment (Semi retired mentality / Owning house)
3. Business Opportunities ( Construction industries or F&B)

Thanks.

The best opportunities for construction related jobs or opportunities is in the Christchurch earthquake rebuild.

Can't comment about the living environment. It all depends upon where your interests lie and what you intend to do with your time.

For city living, Auckland is the best. For rural bliss, the South Island Central Otago region is heaven on earth.

The Hawkes Bay region in the North Island is great too but it does not have the charm of a white winter. If you like snow, then the South Island is the place to be.

The best business opportunities are Christchurch for construction and Auckland for F & B.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
$100,000 easy for our expats

By Michael Burgess , John Weekes
5:30 AM Sunday Sep 1, 2013 ✩Save

Clean environment and lifestyle not enough to lure back successful Kiwis

Kiwi expatriates are earning a fortune overseas, and barely one-tenth say they would be comfortable raising a family back home on New Zealand wages.

For the first time - according to an extensive annual survey released this weekend - more than half our expats are earning $100,000 a year or more.

Kiwis are hitting the jackpot in high-tech, engineering and financial sectors as the overseas experience becomes permanent in North America, Asia and Australia.

Kea, the expatriate network for New Zealanders, polled more than 30,000 people living abroad for its latest survey, Every Kiwi Counts.

Nearly half of the respondents hadn't returned home in the last year - and only 46 per cent said they "definitely or probably" would return to live here.

New Zealand's lifestyle and relatively clean environment have often tempered concerns about the brain drain. But while most expats agree their homeland is beautiful and safe, that isn't nearly enough to lure them back.

Peter Bryant, 54, arrived in the United States 16 years ago after a stint in Australia.

Bryant shifted to Orange County, California, last week from Denver, Colorado. He started a strategy consulting business 10 years ago, and has founded two businesses from scratch.

"We complain a lot here, about friction in the system and regulation. But the whole process is very easy - to create a business and shut down a business," Bryant jokes.

How likely is it he will return to live in New Zealand? "I never liked predicting the future, but right now it would be a really large zero," he says. "My wife's Australian and she feels the same about Australia."

Bryant says Antipodeans would be wrong to believe nowhere else could match their lifestyle. He says the US has a special dynamism, a sense of possibility hard to match.

"The productivity gains in this country are rather stunning. There's a reasonable level of regulation but it's not overbearing."

But life in the US isn't totally trouble-free - the political landscape bothers Bryant at times.

"They take themselves too seriously. Airport security's the greatest example of that."

Bryant maintains close links with friends and family in New Zealand, has a NZ Herald app on his phone and is scheduled to speak at a University of Auckland Business School function in November.

This fits with Kea findings that most expats follow current events back home, especially stories about natural disasters and sports stars.

Financial links, however, are often non-existent among expats. The vast majority have little more investment than a New Zealand bank account.

Yet, Kea chief executive, Dr Sue Watson, says she was stunned to find about 40 per cent of expats were considering buying residential property back home. Watson says hubs of Kiwi expats are emerging in San Francisco, Denver, Singapore and Dubai, and their presence in traditional centres like London and the big Australian cities remains strong.

Inflation is only one reason for surging expat incomes. In many places, Wood says professional Kiwi expats are outperforming natives. Their success is often built on skills learned in New Zealand - 85 per cent of expats surveyed studied at a New Zealand university or institute.

This rings true with 27-year-old Kelly-Ann McHugh: "For the most part, the Kiwis I've seen have really good, successful jobs ... The education they get out of New Zealand is top-notch, and so employers are quite happy to take on Kiwis."

Alaina McGregor, 30, a friend of McHugh, is surprised to hear so few expats would be comfortable raising a family back home. Her long-term goal is to save for an investment property in New Zealand.

In 2008, Prime Minister John Key campaigned hard on stemming the brain drain but has more recently spoke of a "brain exchange" when defending his Government's record.

His office this week said migration patterns were far more positive than detractors believed.

Statistics NZ reports the country gained 2,000 migrants in July, the highest inflow in four years. The net loss of 1,200 migrants to Australia in the same month was the smallest such loss in four years.

"The number of New Zealanders returning home is also increasing, which reflects improving opportunities as the economy picks up," a spokeswoman for Key said.

Key's office also said economic growth, at 2.4 per cent over the last year, was keeping pace with Australia - "and economists are forecasting growth to increase, driven by rising consumer and business confidence, and a lift in construction".

Labour Party leadership contender David Cunliffe advocates developing the knowledge economy to lure back high-value migrants. This week, he said National hadn't walked their talk.

"The current Government is pursuing an economic development path mainly based around primary and extractive industries."

Cunliffe said many successful expats were "globally mobile and would love to come home but often cannot find the jobs".

He wanted more partnerships with the private sector to boost funding on research and development, and "pro-growth tax reform ... that will help tilt investment flows away from property and into high-knowledge businesses".

Cunliffe said without growth, our diaspora would come to rival Ireland's: "We just don't need that."

Return unlikely

New Zealand sports hero Sir Peter Snell retired from his University of Texas job this week, but revealed he may never return home.

Snell won three Olympic gold medals, including an 800m/1500m double in Tokyo in 1964 and was recognised as New Zealand's athlete of the 20th Century. He has been based in the United States for more than 40 years and has been a professor at the university since 1981.

He told the Herald on Sunday yesterday that he may never again set foot on these shores. "Unless there is a compelling reason to do so I won't be coming to New Zealand," said Snell, 74. "I get fatigued more these days and the journey back is quite arduous. Then when I am there, my schedule is often quite demanding."

He remained surprised by the reaction to his off-the-cuff comments at a function in Barcelona last year, when he compared his lack of opportunity after his sporting career to the fate of Russell Coutts. It prompted a strong NZ Herald editorial, which talked of Snell holding a "grudge".

"What I would say now is that back then I felt like I had a future-less existence in New Zealand. I thought I had the academic capacity but couldn't see a way of propelling myself into a decent situation. I had the talent but I was defined by exams that I had done at 16 or 17."

Sporting pursuits and "plenty of work around the house" were in his future now.

The big bucks club

• UK - 40%
• Europe - 48%
• Africa - 49%
• Australia - 49%
• North Asia - 51%
• Middle East - 65%
• South Asia - 67%

- Herald on Sunday

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best opportunities for construction related jobs or opportunities is in the Christchurch earthquake rebuild.

Can't comment about the living environment. It all depends upon where your interests lie and what you intend to do with your time.

For city living, Auckland is the best. For rural bliss, the South Island Central Otago region is heaven on earth.

The Hawkes Bay region in the North Island is great too but it does not have the charm of a white winter. If you like snow, then the South Island is the place to be.

The best business opportunities are Christchurch for construction and Auckland for F & B.

Thanks.
I believe my 1st job may be in Auckland.
I'm looking at Mt Wellington area for a 1 room rental. Any comment on that area?