• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GE: WP's Chen Show Mao wants to help build strong opposition

Rakyat

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE : He has been called the Workers' Party's 'secret weapon', but corporate lawyer Chen Show Mao said the true weapon would be the votes of Singaporeans during Polling Day.

He wants to help build a strong opposition to provide checks and balances on the government.

Mr Chen made a public appearance at a walkabout in the single ward of Joo Chiat on Sunday.

Moving from coffeeshops to cafes, the Workers' Party eagerly showed off its much-talked about candidate - Chen Show Mao - to residents in the suburban neighbourhood of Siglap.

Even though he has lived abroad for some 30 years, Mr Chen had little trouble connecting with the residents.

Based in China, the Taiwan-born lawyer plans to relocate to Singapore.

The 50-year-old took up citizenship in 1986 and has degrees from Harvard, Oxford and Stanford Universities.

Mr Chen said he disagreed with Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's comments that Singapore should pool its best political talents into one team.

Mr Lee had likened this to how countries only fielded their best team to compete in the World Cup.

Mr Chen said: "The team that we are sending to the World Cup is the national team. It is the team that wears red and white, it is not the team that wears white and white. The government certainly has a big part to play on Team Singapore, but they are not all of Singapore.

"We feel that to have the best kind of policy, it is no good to put all of our talent, however limited they may be, into one team and have the rest just watch them warm up, because this team is not going to be able to play matches and improve."

Mr Chen said a team only improves and sharpens its skills if it plays against strong opposing teams.

When asked if the Workers' Party planned to unveil another 'secret weapon', Mr Chen said this is in the hands of Singaporeans.

He said: "The votes of Singaporeans will become the Workers' Party secret weapon...our greatest secret weapon."

The Workers' Party's secretary-general, Low Thia Khiang, also took issue with the role of the People's Association, saying he will disband it if the Workers' Party comes to power.

Mr Low said the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) uses the PA to do its outreach work to residents.

He said: "We will first of all remove the PA, because the PA is basically part of the PAP's grassroots mechanism. We would want to see a more level-playing field in political competition and I am sure as a party, you have to reach out to the ground rather than depend on a mechanism which is funded by the government in the name of grassroots."

The Workers' Party has been busy working the ground and meeting residents from constituencies like Nee Soon, Moulmein-Kallang, Hougang and now Joo Chiat. This is a strong indication that they plan to field over 20 candidates to contest these areas in the coming General Election.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Based in China, born in Taiwan, on a hiatus for the last 30 years but supposedly Ah Beng's political party's secret weapon.
Looks like Ah Beng need a FT to fight for his political rights. :biggrin:

-

Last edited:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Based in China, born in Taiwan, on a hiatus for the last 30 years but supposedly Ah Beng's political party's secret weapon.
Looks like Ah Beng need a FT to fight for his political rights. :biggrin:
-

He went through everything you went through. He served NS. The fact that he'd been away should not be an issue. He was away because he had BIG things to do. Now he brings his wealth of experience and knowledge back to serve the country. What more do you want before you acknowledge him as Singaporean?

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't understand tis Ah Q or fascist thinking. Why must force others to do NS ? The rule of the evil mob ? I can't believe it. Many of you folks still have got this kind fascist thinking and wanna talk about democracy - freedom and human rights. Buh !

No wonder Jesus said, "Ye, hypocrite !" to those who thought they knew God but their hearts were not there to do righteous things.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
He went through everything you went through. He served NS. The fact that he'd been away should not be an issue. He was away because he had BIG things to do. Now he brings his wealth of experience and knowledge back to serve the country. What more do you want before you acknowledge him as Singaporean?

He served NS? Are you sure? He was like D Puthucheary past the enlistment act as far as I can tell. Pls confirm. :biggrin:

-

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Chen said a team only improves and sharpens its skills if it plays against strong opposing teams.

Not many people can stomach this sort of reality. And not many people have the guts to face the HARD TRUTHS and consequence, especially those people who take pride, ego and face above everything else and forget about wanting to work together with the common objective of serving and benefiting the people. CSM is the one to bring our old system to new frontiers. This guy CSM speaks more sense than PM so far.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe he was in the 11th Standard Military Course, the then course for training officer cadets. It ran from late 1979 to 1980.

What is 11th SMC? I only did 5 years hi key and 2 lo key reservist.. so out of touch. Thanks.

-

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
He served NS? Are you sure? He was like D Puthucheary past the enlistment act as far as I can tell. Pls confirm. :biggrin:

-

According to ST on 9 April, he was from National Junior College and during his national service, he was a Platoon Commander and Brigade staff officer despite not being a singapore citizen until 1986. Yes, he served NS, no doubt about it.

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP will only win a parliament seat in an alternate universe.

According to ST on 9 April, he was from National Junior College and during his national service, he was a Platoon Commander and Brigade staff officer despite not being a singapore citizen until 1986. Yes, he served NS, no doubt about it.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, you're not supposed to be convinced. If you're convinced anyone from WP is in any way good, I'll look to the west for sunrise tomorrow morning.

Conflicting views. If it was a PAP candidate, that had offered conflicting views, Ah Beng will be busy making a meal out of it. Why should there be different standards for wannabe PAP candidates from WP?

-

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Chen said: "The team that we are sending to the World Cup is the national team. It is the team that wears red and white, it is not the team that wears white and white. The government certainly has a big part to play on Team Singapore, but they are not all of Singapore.

"We feel that to have the best kind of policy, it is no good to put all of our talent, however limited they may be, into one team and have the rest just watch them warm up, because this team is not going to be able to play matches and improve."

Great rebuttal. Cool calm and collected. CSJ should learn from this when asked for views at streetside confrontations from the Press. Not "Where's the money?!"

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Based on my recollection with respect to the year 1979 to 1980, it looks about right, because I completed 4 SMC.

I believe he was in the 11th Standard Military Course, the then course for training officer cadets. It ran from late 1979 to 1980.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) He came to Singapore at age 11 yr and therefore is required to do NS even he had not taken citizenship.
2) He was in 11th SMC
3) He left to study overseas.
4) In 1986, he took up citizenship to be eligible for the Rhodes Scholarship which he received.
5) He has never resided in Singapore since he left for his degree after his NS
6) He has never worked in Singapore
7) He approached WP to stand for elections only recently
8) He is indeed a very successful corporate and holds the record for providing legal advice on the largest IPO ever launched in the world.
9) He sits on MSU Legal Faculty advisory board together with his ex-schoolmate the AG

Why the need to be back in Singapore after all these years is indeed a question on some minds. I am aware that the PAP has been seeking people via characters like Simon Tay to stand opposite to the PAP to go in line with change in constitution and he is known to Simon and Viv B. I am just wondering if its the repeat of Chua Kim Yeow/Ong Teng Cheong Affair affair by the PAP where the nominees for the 1st presidency was chosen by the PAP. Another is Ben Pwee of SPP.

There is also the possiblity of qualified independents suddenly appearing and are in good terms with the establishment like these characters are.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm quite disheartened by the level of political maturity exhibited in this forum. For all intents and purposes this guy is an FT who is no more Singaporean than FMH or Janil. If he had gone to the PAP he'd have been roundly criticized and spat on with all the usual courtesies. The moment he joins the opposition, we have one who is amazed and awed by this wisecrack at a reporter, another who justifies his absence from Singapore "as an opportunity to gain a wealth of experience." I imagine other FTs must have deliberately wasted their lives away before they came to Singapore, especially if they eventually join the PAP.

1) He came to Singapore at age 11 yr and therefore is required to do NS even he had not taken citizenship.
2) He was in 11th SMC
3) He left to study overseas.
4) In 1986, he took up citizenship to be eligible for the Rhodes Scholarship which he received.
5) He has never resided in Singapore since he left for his degree after his NS
6) He has never worked in Singapore
7) He approached WP to stand for elections only recently
8) He is indeed a very successful corporate and holds the record for providing legal advice on the largest IPO ever launched in the world.
9) He sits on MSU Legal Faculty advisory board together with his ex-schoolmate the AG

Why the need to be back in Singapore after all these years is indeed a question on some minds. I am aware that the PAP has been seeking people via characters like Simon Tay to stand opposite to the PAP to go in line with change in constitution and he is known to Simon and Viv B. I am just wondering if its the repeat of Chua Kim Yeow/Ong Teng Cheong Affair affair by the PAP where the nominees for the 1st presidency was chosen by the PAP. Another is Ben Pwee of SPP.

There is also the possiblity of qualified independents suddenly appearing and are in good terms with the establishment like these characters are.

Last edited: