• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SPH indian Alan John SUAN Chiam See Tong for taking GRC

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cynicism will hurt GRC system
GRCs work for S'pore, but furore over PAP new face is worrying
By Alan John, Deputy Editor
Alan_john.jpg

WHEN Mr Chiam See Tong, at age 75, says he is ready to leave his Potong Pasir seat to contest a group representation constituency (GRC), it is one more sign of how much things have changed in just over two decades.

Back in 1988, he was against the idea of GRCs when the concept of 'team MPs' was put before Parliament.

The idea of having large constituencies where candidates would compete as a team - with each team having at least one minority-race member - was described at the time as a first in the world.

It received quite an airing, discussed thoroughly not only by MPs but also numerous individuals and groups who sent in a record 99 submissions to a parliamentary select committee.

The Government presented the 'team MPs' idea with one main goal: to ensure that Singapore's Parliament would always have minority-race representatives.

Before that, Malay, Indian and Eurasian MPs had been elected in single-seat constituencies that made up the entire Singapore electoral map.

But the question before Parliament in 1988 was: Could anyone be sure that this would always be the case and that new generations of voters would resist voting along racial lines? What if Singapore woke up one day to an all-Chinese Parliament?

The argument proved compelling for the majority of MPs - especially the non-Chinese - who backed the change. Most of those who went to the select committee also saw the wisdom of ensuring minority representation in Parliament.

Some wanted a referendum before such a major electoral overhaul. The Government saw no need because the purpose was to ensure minority representation, and the 'team MPs' system allowed multiracial voters to choose between multiracial teams of candidates.

It was superior to other ideas tossed up at the time, like giving Malay voters two votes each or declaring some areas 'minority constituencies' where only non-Chinese candidates could contest. Both presented the prospect of introducing and entrenching race-based politics.

The GRC system is now over 20 years old. The number of GRCs has grown, and the number of MPs in each team has swelled from three initially to as many as six.

On the plus side, the scheme has met the stated aim of ensuring that Malays, Indians and Eurasians get into Parliament. This has come to be accepted as a given, and is hardly remarked upon these days.

Instead, the GRC scheme has become linked increasingly to town council management, with voters being asked: Are you sure you have the best team running your estate, making sure the lifts run, the blocks are clean, the walkways covered?

Opposition parties have never stopped complaining that GRCs made it a lot harder for them to unseat People's Action Party (PAP) candidates. It had been difficult enough when the contest was fought one-to-one in single-member constituencies of 25,000 voters; in a five- versus-five or six-versus-six contest for 125,000 votes, it became far tougher.

Though the opposition came close three times - in Eunos, Cheng San and Aljunied - victory in a GRC stayed beyond reach.

But recent signs suggest that opposition parties are determined to achieve a GRC breakthrough at the coming General Election.

So there's Mr Chiam, MP of Potong Pasir since 1984, saying he will contest a GRC this time. And there's the Workers' Party sounding like it's ready to name a dream team to match the PAP's candidates in qualifications and voter appeal.

If even one opposition party has been pushed to attract and build a stable of better-quality candidates to field as a team, that surely ought to count as another plus of the GRC system.

Over the years, the PAP has also used GRCs to bring into Parliament politically untested senior people from the civil service, military and private sector with potential to be ministers and office holders.

That is a plus for Singapore too, and Singaporeans have generally come to see how this has ensured a steady stream of high-calibre MPs able to hold office.

For all the complaints from the opposition, the system has proven strengths.

This year, however, attention is being focused on a perceived drawback of the GRC system - that it sends weaker candidates into Parliament too easily because they run in teams led by strong ministers.

The target for some exceptionally sharp, even cruel, attacks has been the PAP's youngest new face, Ms Tin Pei Ling, 27.

Some question her suitability to become an MP at such a young age. They mind that she seems assured of a seat in Parliament because she is likely to be fielded in a GRC team led by a minister.

This might not have been the reaction if she were a minority-race candidate, because that was what GRCs were set up for, or if she were so eminently qualified that everyone would see immediately why she was needed in Parliament right away.

So why the haste to get her into Parliament?

The PAP is not always in such a rush.

Mr Sitoh Yih Pin contested on the PAP ticket and lost twice in Potong Pasir. Having worked the ground there for a good 10 years, he is ready to stand for election there again and is likely to face Mrs Lina Chiam, who hopes to succeed her GRC-bound husband.

If he wins on his third try, it will be a hard-won and sweet victory, and he will be a better MP for it.

The storm over Ms Tin's candidacy threatens to eclipse the strengths of the GRC system, bringing to the fore the discomfort that this system gives young unknowns an easy ride into Parliament.

In fielding Ms Tin, the PAP may have wanted the voice of a 20-something to represent younger voters. But many of those very voters appear to be the ones criticising her candidacy, especially online.

Would there have been less of a negative reaction if Ms Tin were fielded in a single-seat constituency to prove her mettle, instead of contesting in a GRC team? After all, time is very much on her side.

The PAP needs to weigh the benefits of having a sure-to-win young voice in Parliament against the harm to the GRC system should voters become cynical about how it works.

[email protected]

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tot 'John' is ang mor. After clicking on the thread and seeing the photo, i am gonna give this article a miss.

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got a few friend also like that. They say they mixed blood but I try to observe closer but never see any diff from others.

I tot 'John' is ang mor. After clicking on the thread and seeing the photo, i am gonna give this article a miss.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got a few friend also like that. They say they mixed blood but I try to observe closer but never see any diff from others.

When they say they are 'mixed', it probably means their BULLSHIT. And we all know which race is renowned for sprouting pure bullshit.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not only this, i also heard this lady telling us she is from european indian
wtf is that???

for an neh fully adopt an english name, how much u can believe?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

shoot shoot shoot

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
When they say they are 'mixed', it probably means their BULLSHIT. And we all know which race is renowned for sprouting pure bullshit.

Hello

Feeling sour after losing your previous IT job to an Indian?

Fucking Loser

You have no reason to hate them except your incompetency!

Haha

Internet Brigade

Alfrescian
Loyal
In summary, even one of the early and main critic of the GRC system is contesting in one. He could easily take his 5-6 men and challenge 5-6 SMCs.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. a yes dog is always some sheep dog mah.
3. regardless of its name or name change.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Before that, please alert KNNBCCB to do the needful. Ah Nehs with matsalleh names are worse than those with keeklengkia names. They perceive themselves to be more atas than the rest.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before that, please alert KNNBCCB to do the needful. Ah Nehs with matsalleh names are worse than those with keeklengkia names. They perceive themselves to be more atas than the rest.

They're Indians with Indian names, Indians with Muslim names and Indians with Christian names. Those with Muslim and Christian names are more atas than those with Indian names because their ancestors were smart enough to take the opportunities of introduction of new religions to India to get out of the Hindu caste system. Anyway, I think bro KNNBCC won't care too much about that, he'll just shoot them all, whatever caste whatever religion.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

Can be mixed from North India and South India what. But in the end, still a black piece of shit.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can be mixed from North India and South India what. But in the end, still a black piece of shit.

Last night I was at an ATM machine. SUDDENLY, the bawu came. Almost fainted! Knnbccb, one ah neh appeared from nowhere and stood next to me. Fortunately, the bawu was slighly less smelly than shit.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Last night I was at an ATM machine. SUDDENLY, the bawu came. Almost fainted! Knnbccb, one ah neh appeared from nowhere and stood next to me. Fortunately, the bawu was slighly less smelly than shit.

Fortunately you did not lose your dinner siah!

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. bro, now this is some hard truths.
2. yes, i once knew some matsalleh keling named as daniel allan gopalasupramaniam.
3. catholic school kid too!
4. he alleged that he had some european blood as his name carried it.
5. unfortunately, he was as dark as some charcoal.
6. honest, everyone in our class pissed in our pants whenever he made his claim again and again.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They're Indians with Indian names, Indians with Muslim names and Indians with Christian names. Those with Muslim and Christian names are more atas than those with Indian names because their ancestors were smart enough to take the opportunities of introduction of new religions to India to get out of the Hindu caste system. Anyway, I think bro KNNBCC won't care too much about that, he'll just shoot them all, whatever caste whatever religion.

Bro knbccb is my idol. He has done the right thing.

Last edited:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

its true that they are not mixed. but along the way, the forefathers became christian or catholic. some still keep indian name with s/o and some will have name like the mat saleh. eg. alan john. the mat saleh wannabe.

apogee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ang mor will have Johns. These kelings got their surname by visiting cemeteries and copying the surname from tombstones. Unfortuantely, the last letter i.e. "s" was covered by lallang. Hence, "John" and "Johns".