• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More Singaporeans are moving across the causeway - Sunday Times.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Copied from CNA forum.
The Straits Times © Singapore Press Holdings Ltd: Sun, Mar 27

Home to educator Denyse Tessensohn had always been Singapore. But two years ago, after agonising over it, her family uprooted from their five-room Zion Road flat to settle in Johor, Malaysia, instead.

Her younger son, Mikhil, 25, an aspiring music therapist, had a place to study at the Berklee College of Music in Boston. But when they worked out the sums, the family found that they could not afford Mikhil's overseas education if they continued to live in Singapore.

Two years on, they have since found the move not as painful as they had expected. Ms Tessensohn, 60, and her husband Steve Hogan, 62, refer to their 9,000 sq ft home as a 'modest bungalow'. Spacious as it is compared to their former HDB flat, it is the second smallest home in the Ledang Heights estate in Nusajaya, west of Johor Baru city.

For the $400,000 price tag, they have four bedrooms, a garden, parking space and membership in the estate's clubhouse which has a pool, gym and restaurant.

'Our living cost is much lower; utilities are a quarter of what we used to pay,' Ms Tessensohn said. 'It's quiet, there's space, good air. It's affordable and there's very good food.'

The couple commute to work in Singapore five days a week. Mr Hogan is an artist and teacher.

Moving to Johor

More Singaporean families have gone to live in and commute from Johor. They are attracted to its up-and-coming residential city Nusajaya, where big houses and a quality lifestyle can be had on middle-class incomes.

Take the figures at East Ledang and Horizon Hills, two estates in Nusajaya where expatriates make up half of the residents. Of the foreigners, 80 per cent are Singaporean.

Nusajaya

From the sky, Nusajaya resembles a city in progress. Patches of construction areas and swathes of virgin greenery make up the bulk of the 9,308ha landscape.

There is access to the highways bound for Johor Baru city or the Tuas checkpoint, both 20 minutes' ride away. Nusajaya is said to be on the way to becoming one of the most sought-after residential cities in Johor.

It is part of the Iskandar Malaysia project to develop Johor into an economic powerhouse. The area, including regions such as Johor Baru city, Senai and Pontian, is three times the size of Singapore.

In Nusajaya itself, various hubs are in the pipeline. There is EduCity, a 242ha collection of brand-name colleges and research centres, including Britain's Newcastle University and Singapore's MDIS. Newcastle's medical college will be ready there by this year.

Its integrated theme park, Legoland Malaysia, is due to be completed by next year. A transport hub has also been planned for the area, with a coastal highway due to be ready by next year.

Residential enclaves - like Ms Tessensohn's estate - have already sprung up. Each estate touts itself grander than the next. Nusajaya's Horizon Hills, for example, features an 18-hole award-winning golf course at residents' doorsteps.

Despite the premium pricing for houses in Nusajaya - starting from RM700,000 (S$292,000) for terrace units with about 5,000 sq ft in built-up space - they are popular with Singaporeans, who make up half the clientele.

Technology consultant Wu Qi (not his real name), is one of them. His semi-detached house cost him less than RM800,000 when he bought it two years ago. It takes him about an hour to travel to his office in Singapore's Central Business District each workday.

But the 34-year-old said: 'It is worth it. I enjoy the fresh air, the space and the freedom. It's not really about the travelling cost but whether it makes long-term sense.'

The lower cost of living was also a draw for Mr Steven Wong, 40, who has a weekend home in Setia Indah. The manufacturing firm manager estimates that food items in Malaysia are two to three times cheaper, thanks to the currency conversion.

'Living here is so much cheaper,' he said. 'The money saved can go towards my retirement. If I still live in Singapore, I won't be able to retire in comfort.'

Fitting in

Australian writer Kaz Augustin, 45, spent two years in Singapore before she moved to Johor Baru with her husband and two children in 2008.

Recreation for the family includes visiting the Ledang Heights estate's clubhouse and restaurants. They also take walks in the park in the estate, or enjoy the nearby lake in their motorised speedboat.

Bukit Indah, which is about 10 minutes away by car for the Augustins, has supermarket chains such as Jusco and Tesco, and shops. Residents there are awaiting the completion of Legoland and Puteri Harbour, a waterfront development. Till then, they spend their free time around the usual places in their gated communities, and however far their cars can take them out of Nusajaya.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Copied from CNA forum.
The article featured Denyse Tessensohn. "My name is Denyse Tessensohn, almost retired and 60 years old. I graduated in Law from the National University of Singapore with an Ll.B. (Hons), and practised law for eight years. I have a Masters in Applied Linguistics (NIE) and another Masters in History (NUS).... ... ..."
Here's the link http://www.puterim.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=43&Itemid=68
Her blog http://www.puterim.com/joomla/

The other 2 being interviewed are:
1) Australian writer Kaz Augustin.
2) Singapore Technology consultant Wuqi.
They are all middle to high income earners, not road sweepers nor the equivalent.

Below is a doctor who is interested after reading the article. "Hi Wuqi, my interest in living in JB and working in Singapore was really piqued after reading the article on the Straits Times yesterday. Is the price of units too high now to enter the market in HH or East Ledang now? I am a doctor working and living in Singapore now. Really looking into crossing the strait to live across the border. Thanks." Here's the link and his/her nick is gforker http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?35746-Living-in-JB/page149

Why is it that these people are mostly high income elites like doctors, lawyers, engineers, businessmen and expats? I guess it's because they are well travelled, whether for studies, work or leisure, and have seen the world.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FT can only live in MY and work in SG if have a local address to use as they official residence. I checked with my colleagues, who are PRs, PRs are not allow to live in Johor and work in SG. They must have a local address here.

Why is it that these people are mostly high income elites like doctors, lawyers, engineers, businessmen and expats? I guess it's because they are well travelled, whether for studies, work or leisure, and have seen the world.

My guess is most of them probably come from countries where traveling 2hrs to work is normal which is why they don't mind the travel distance.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is retarded. Moving to JB and commuting to and fro Singapore. The time u waste and the high crime rate in JB hardly makes it attractive.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FT can only live in MY and work in SG if have a local address to use as they official residence. I checked with my colleagues, who are PRs, PRs are not allow to live in Johor and work in SG. They must have a local address h.

If you hv fren staying in SG, just use their residence add.. :wink:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Mean you are very interested in this topic lor, just don't wanna admit it thats all....typical newbies lah...just start to look see look see johor...hahaha!

Cathylmg, ignore the guys with severe myopia, with the level of security you have at your place, he can't disturb you. Maybe just stand LL outside the gates with the guards. The other day, a relative tried to visit unannounced and did not call us in advance(we were in SG). He made threats, pleaded and lastly tried to bribe. No use.

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mean you are very interested in this topic lor, just don't wanna admit it thats all....typical newbies lah...just start to look see look see johor...hahaha!

Cooleo, the low-life IT worker with more than 20 clones (Orochi Army) in this forum, is a Malaysian Chinese :rolleyes:

He bashes Johor to sound more Singaporean Chinese but obviously this loser has his roots in Malaysia and came to Singapore as a foreign trash some years ago.

That's why he's here. To show that he's "Singaporean" when in reality, he has the trashy genes in him :biggrin:

Last edited:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quitters please don't come back to Singapore. PAP don't need you. Stay in your Johor and get raped + robbed everyday :biggrin:

(just joking)

jw5

Loyal
Cathylmg, ignore the guys with severe myopia, with the level of security you have at your place, he can't disturb you. Maybe just stand LL outside the gates with the guards. The other day, a relative tried to visit unannounced and did not call us in advance(we were in SG). He made threats, pleaded and lastly tried to bribe. No use.

You mean when the guards told the relative you were not in but in SG, he still threatened, pleaded and tried to bribe in order to visit someone who was not there?
Is this inconsiderate relative of yours also an idiot? :wink:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You mean when the guards told the relative you were not in but in SG, he still threatened, pleaded and tried to bribe in order to visit someone who was not there?
Is this inconsiderate relative of yours also an idiot? :wink:

I think they wanted to go in and view the beautiful compound of the gated township lah. How can it be to visit someone who wasn't there?

jw5

Loyal
I think they wanted to go in and view the beautiful compound of the gated township lah. How can it be to visit someone who wasn't there?

That's precisely why I asked if the relative was an "inconsiderate idiot".

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
How much of a loser can one get by moving to JB, but commute with a bunch of Malaysian factory mei meis across the causeway are myopic. Whatever benefits are offset by the high crime rates there. Heck u might get robbed by the very security guards u hire. Irony! Lol

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
This is retarded. Moving to JB and commuting to and fro Singapore. The time u waste and the high crime rate in JB hardly makes it attractive.

U are the retard. A 5,000 sq ft landed freehold home for $292,000 versus a $650K 1.500 sq ft HDB leased flat is not attractive? What a moron. From my house, I can be in Johor in 20mins via the Tuas crossing. Sometimes, no wait at all. Some friends I know claim they can be in CBD from Nusajaya in 20mins. I don't believe it, but certainly within 45 mins is possible. From some parts of SIngapore like Woodlands, it already takes u 45 mins taking the MRT to get to CBD. I don't see where is the time wasting youare talking about. As for crime, don't believe everything the shit times said. Ihave friends that have living in JB for the last 7 years, not one thing happened to them. Not even getting their car scratched.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh yes, I am sorry u are not retarded. You are only brainless. Which is kinda worse.

So next time your frds wanna visit u, u will tell them "hey u guys no be stoopid can?! I now stay jb, u wan u come across causeway!"

If u want the biggest house that your limited funds can get, you should fuck off to India. Why no want? Are u retarded? Oh wait... U are brainless.

U are the kind of fucked up asshole who can't make it in Singapore, needs to fuck off to some third world country, get a big house and comprain from the sidelines about how PAP fuck u. Haha

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Cooleo, the low-life IT worker with more than 20 clones (Orochi Army) in this forum, is a Malaysian Chinese :rolleyes:

He bashes Johor to sound more Singaporean Chinese but obviously this loser has his roots in Malaysia and came to Singapore as a foreign trash some years ago.

That's why he's here. To show that he's "Singaporean" when in reality, he has the trashy genes in him :biggrin:

For once, I agree on something you say. Cooleo is a low life retarded fatherfucker.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
For once, I agree on something you say. Cooleo is a low life retarded fatherfucker.

Haha...u are really a useless bugger. Cheapskate can only afford big house in JB, but still need to suck on PAP's cock by working in Singapore. I bet u have an erection from seeing Ass Loong on tv.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Oh yes, I am sorry u are not retarded. You are only brainless. Which is kinda worse.

So next time your frds wanna visit u, u will tell them "hey u guys no be stoopid can?! I now stay jb, u wan u come across causeway!"

If u want the biggest house that your limited funds can get, you should fuck off to India. Why no want? Are u retarded? Oh wait... U are brainless.

U are the kind of fucked up asshole who can't make it in Singapore, needs to fuck off to some third world country, get a big house and comprain from the sidelines about how PAP fuck u. Haha

See how stupid you are? U cannot work every day from in Singapore commuting from India. that's why you don't buy the big house there. U buy it in Malaysia. U are not even from singapore, u fucking malaysian, want to slam your own country by calling it third world? Balek Kampong, your sister is waiting for you to cornhole her again, u molester.