• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chiam See Tong to Wong Kan Seng - what legacy u talking abt, mas selamat?

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gunning for a GRC
It's not about leaving a legacy, says Chiam
P8a.jpg

Opposition MP also takes issue with call to reveal candidates early
By Jeremy Au Yong
Singapore People's Party secretary-general Chiam See Tong and party member Alex Tan handing out pamphlets to residents at a coffee shop in Sin Ming Road, in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC. --ST PHOTO: NG SOR LUAN

OPPOSITION leaders are not so 'small-minded' as to contest GRCs just for the sake of building a legacy, said Potong Pasir MP Chiam See Tong yesterday.

The 76-year-old is the latest opposition leader to weigh in against Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng's remarks on Wednesday, questioning the motives of opposition parties.

DPM Wong had said that there were opposition leaders who wanted to contest GRCs in order to leave a legacy as the first party to win a GRC, or to use it as a tool for leadership renewal. That, he said, was not what polls should be about.

'Is it about the interest and missions of political parties or an individual's interest to create a legacy or to make history?' he asked.

The comments seem to be directed primarily at Mr Chiam and Hougang MP Low Thia Khiang. Mr Low is mulling a GRC bid while Mr Chiam had said as early as last year that he was planning to contest the five-MP Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC led by DPM Wong.

Yesterday, Mr Chiam stressed that legacy-building had nothing to do with his GRC bid: 'It (a legacy) was never in my mind at all.'

He added: 'We are not that small-minded.'

Mr Chiam said his aim was to correct what he saw as an imbalance in Parliament: 'I've left my safe haven of Potong Pasir for a more dangerous ground because I want to expand the number of opposition members in Parliament.'

More opposition members were crucial, he said, to create a proper democracy. The few opposition MPs now could be 'snuffed out any time', he added.

Mr Chiam also took issue with DPM Wong's call on the opposition to announce its candidates early.

The DPM said unveiling candidates at the last minute would be short-changing voters, as they do not have enough time to assess the new faces.

Mr Chiam said it was the PAP that was keeping secrets, not the opposition.

'They know their candidates and they know the date when the election will be held, but they withheld all this information, leaving the opposition in a state of disarray,' he said.

On top of that, he said the opposition had - either intentionally or not - revealed a lot of their plans to the public.

'Most Singaporeans already know the opposition's candidates. The opposition likes to talk a lot. They inadvertently reveal their candidates' names,' he said.

He added that the rest of his team for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC could include members of other political parties, which he declined to identify.

'Other opposition parties are helping us in getting the men, and we will have a team when the time comes,' he said.

Last weekend, he had told The Straits Times that his own Singapore People's Party could provide the candidates he needs.

Asked if he would take up a Non-Constituency MP seat should his GRC bid fail, he stressed he had no interest in entering Parliament via the back door.

'It (NCMP) is not really elected by the majority of Singaporeans. It is a token move of the PAP,' he said.

[email protected]

THE ACCUSATION

'Is it about the interest and missions of political parties or an individual's interest to create a legacy or to make history?'

P8bm.jpg

Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng, on the opposition aiming to win a Group Representation Constituency

THE REBUTTAL

'We are not that small-minded... I've left my safe haven of Potong Pasir for a more dangerous ground because I want to expand the number of opposition members in Parliament.'

Potong Pasir MP Chiam See Tong, who had announced last year that he intends to do battle in the five-MP Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC led by Mr Wong

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hon Kan Seng's legacy is not just limited to Mas Selamat. You forgot Took Leng How and Richard Yong. No Home minister before or after him had similar incidents happened to them

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course, gunning for elections is all about leaving behind a legacy.

The best example I know is of one Cambridge lawyer hotshot back in 1960's who wanted to create a legacy to be the first Chinese PM of Malaysia until he got quite unceremoniously pissed back across the Causeway to become king of his little hill since.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
SPP only contest in Bishan-Toa Payoh and Potong Pasir. 6 candidate contesting.

Mr Chiam, your party getting smaller & smaller

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hon Kan Seng's legacy is not just limited to Mas Selamat. You forgot Took Leng How and Richard Yong. No Home minister before or after him had similar incidents happened to them

you forgot to mention the father and bankrupt son passports mix up case........the people involved not so high profile that's all.

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hoBbfLbCPbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My video last night also use MSK to poke fun against LEEgime.

:wink:

All Mr. Chaim need is lots of MSK posters to be posted right next to WKS's election posters the GE. Enough already. No need Chiam's photos, just MSK posters enough said. :eek::biggrin::rolleyes:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All Mr. Chaim need is lots of MSK posters to be posted right next to WKS's election posters the GE. Enough already. No need Chiam's photos, just MSK posters enough said. :eek::biggrin::rolleyes:

You are guiding CST to committing offences and making it possible for his disqualification? Why don't you do all S'poreans a favour by hanging MSK's posters next to WKS.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
WKS' legacy:

"Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng narrowed it to either of two scenarios: one, he is in Singapore and hidden by sympathisers unknown to the authorities, or, two, he has fled the country."

kitelover3112

Alfrescian
Loyal
WKS is just scared that he's facing a contest this time around when he has enjoyed walkovers in previous elections... He knows he's not gonna get the mandate from the peope in his GRC...

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Time for SIngapore to copy rather than create a legacy -------- a hung government

Singaporeans doesn't know how to create, even birth rate dropping, they copy angmohs bery well, and invited angmohs to build their business empires by clearing lands and their own villages, and work like dogs wagging their tails at their masters.

Of course, gunning for elections is all about leaving behind a legacy.

The best example I know is of one Cambridge lawyer hotshot back in 1960's who wanted to create a legacy to be the first Chinese PM of Malaysia until he got quite unceremoniously pissed back across the Causeway to become king of his little hill since.