• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wong Kan Seng - vote for me, I am the FUTURE

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
DPM Wong questions opposition's GRC motives
By Li Xueying, Political Correspondent

THE next general election is about Singapore's future, and voters should examine carefully the opposition's intentions in wanting to win group representation constituencies (GRCs), said Mr Wong Kan Seng.

The People's Action Party's first assistant secretary-general yesterday fired this salvo at the opposition, questioning its agenda when opposition veterans declared that they were making a concerted push to win GRCs this time around.

'Some say, well, we want to do that for renewal, and there are others who say, well, they want to be the first one to break through into a GRC and win a GRC,' said Mr Wong.

But this should not be what the election is about, he said.

'Is it about the interest and missions of political parties or an individual's interest to create a legacy or to make history?' he asked. 'I believe that this election is really about the future.'

Thus, Singaporeans 'should back the stronger team that will serve them better, and not vote for a party simply for the sake of having more opposition', he said.

Mr Wong, who is also Deputy Prime Minister, was speaking at the introduction of the second batch of three new PAP faces.

Among them was the first woman candidate to be introduced - Ms Foo Mee Har, 45, global head of premium banking for Standard Chartered Bank. The other two were Mr Desmond Lee, 34, legal counsel for Temasek Holdings and son of former Cabinet minister Lee Yock Suan; and Mr Steve Tan, 37, executive secretary of Young NTUC.

The first three PAP candidates were introduced on Monday.

Outside the PAP headquarters in Bedok, where the press conference took place, Mr Wong's take on the opposition agenda led to swift rebuttals.

Opposition leaders accused the ruling party of practising double standards and asked why they should be chastised for seeking renewal when the PAP is doing so as well.

Workers' Party chief Low Thia Khiang said: 'Renewal is not only for the PAP.'

Speaking to the media after the introductions yesterday, Mr Wong was asked about the PAP's own interest in winning GRCs. Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong had previously said that GRCs help the PAP recruit younger candidates with ministerial potential.

PAP new faces for 'evolution, not revolution'

Mr Wong replied that 'while we say that we want to renew our own party, it's with the objective of serving Singapore's interest'.

'It's not really about serving the PAP's interest,' he said.

'If there's a better team some day than the PAP, and the people want to elect them, then that's the people's choice.'

Thus, when the PAP sets out to win, it does so 'not to make sure that you have a legacy or you want to create history'.

'It's about you wanting to have ideas, plans, policies,' he said.

The essence of this would be in the PAP election manifesto.

When asked when that might be unveiled, Mr Wong said: 'Well, I don't know, maybe I hope, next month. If not, then maybe later.'

Asked if April 17 was a possible date - Young PAP is holding its 25th anniversary celebration that day, and the 2006 manifesto was unveiled at its 20th anniversary event - he said, laughing: 'I think we can always find a reason to do something. So it doesn't need to be on April 17.'

As the PAP's introductions continue apace, Mr Wong also threw down the gauntlet and said opposition parties should do the same, 'so that all Singaporeans can know them and find out what they stand for, and what they can do for the people'.

'Otherwise, Singaporeans will feel short-changed by the opposition parties' reluctance to reveal more of their candidates and their motivation,' he said.

The PAP's own 'structured and systematic' process of renewal brings in younger members 'with new ideas and energy', he added.

This set the stage for the dominant theme running through the media questions yesterday: What fresh ideas the new faces would bring to the table, and why Singaporeans should vote for them.

Mr Lee, who described himself as a 'details kind of man', said that he would cast 'a critical eye' over legislation. He is also keen to explore ways to strengthen community and social mediation.

The self-effacing Mr Tan, who told of how he failed all his four subjects in his first year in junior college and continues to take the MRT today, wants to see what more can be done for low-paid workers and underprivileged children.

He also believes that Singapore 'has a lot of potential' to introduce clean energy initiatives such as electric vehicles and better diesel policies.

Ms Foo, as the first woman introduced and a high-flier in the banking sector, found herself in the hot seat, fielding more questions than the other two. These ran the gamut from how she could relate to Singaporeans in the street, to whether she would give up her career for political office.

Demurring, she said on a political appointment: 'I'm new to politics. I think what we are most focused on now is to earn the trust, the mandate of the people to be elected...

'So I think that's the most immediate kind of priority for me.'

The need to know the ground now - and well - was also on Mr Lee's mind.

Tackling the perception that PAP new candidates are 'more of the same' without new ideas, he said: 'As a new candidate, I think it's important to keep your feet on the ground, to remain grounded.

'We have big dreams, but I think it's not for us to talk big. We need to work the ground and to be humble and understand residents and understand fully the spectrum of views from all walks of life.'

It led Mr Wong to remark that the PAP brings in new people to 'improve on what we have done'.

'We don't bring new people here to conduct a revolution,' he said.

'They are here to take part in an evolution of the system, of the policies, and to be part of the team to ensure that Singapore still has a future.'

See also: Three new PAP faces

Opposition rebuts DPM Wong; parties face off at NUS forum

SDA reveals first four

WONG KAN SENG ON...

The possibility of the PAP losing a GRC in the next general election

'I think if it comes to that, and if that's the voters' choice, then we'll have to respect that.'

The need for voters to grill their candidates

'If they were to compare the candidates of the two sides, I hope that they will closely scrutinise all the candidates. If they are new candidates, then make use of this occasion to grill them, to understand them, to know more about them, and to ask them, 'Why should I vote for you?' I think that is the main thing for the voters to think about when they cast their vote.'

The possibility of a contest in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC

'I have been looking forward to this for a while. At every round since 1991, when I went to Bishan, they did not turn up. I think residents see the great changes that have taken place in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, and I hope the opposition will come, give our voters a chance, and also help us understand what else we need to do (so as) to do better in the constituency.'

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My memories are still raw of the days I had to use the causeway to JB at Woodlands, going through the hassle of being checked & getting stuck in the jams, and each time, the spectre of WKS comes to mind, and cursing him. That was not the future I was thinking about, compromising my security & others..is this kind of future we are looking forward to?, an overpaid incompetent.

We want more for less we pay, not less for too much more, we are paying, to survive; that is the future we are lokking forward to. Not some branded, 'chili craps' we ill-afford to have. :p

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... 'I believe that this election is really about the future[/size].'

Thus, Singaporeans 'should back the stronger team that will serve them better, and not vote for a party simply for the sake of having more opposition', ...
yes! ... iz about ze future! ...

ze future is having a betta sg! ... dat can oni b wif mor opposition! ...

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
DPM Wong: "..opposition pls come.. and help us better the constituency"

DPM Wong KS: "..I hope the opposition will come, give our voters a chance, and also help us understand what else we need to do (so as) to do better in the constituency."

So as DPM Wong has spoken, just as the PAP seeks to lead the way forward, it too needs the 'opposition' as a form of quality assurance- to give it better perspectives and the endorsement of the populace. If the interest of Singaporeans is really paramount, then the PAP should stop fixing the opposition but work together to democratically elect the new cabinet in parliament.

I believe that in the most modern democracies to come to come, many will be coalition governments, as such, Cabinet Ministers may come from differing parties or even amongst independents. What matters most is that the independent vote of each MP in the best interest of their constituents towards the appointment of fellow MPs as Cabinet Ministers is done transparently to his own constituents. The sum total of all MP votes is what determines whom the new cabinet Ministers should be.

Of course political parties might fight it out as to whom should populate the new cabinet, however, each party would be very mindful of the limits of basic moral decency so as not to damage the moral authority upon which they have been granted to govern- the very essence of what yields them the public endorsement at every subsequent election. This is what politics ought to be about in the first place: the principles of moral human leadership by example.

People have to be focused upon the need for clean and efficient political leadership. To procure anything less is a slant to one's own dignity and the betrayal of one's society.

~ "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"-- Matthew 25:40 (NIV)

Rgds
B.C.

End-notes/ References:
- 'Separation of powers' [wiki]: "The separation of powers is a model for the governance of a state. The model was first developed in ancient Greece and came into widespread use by the Roman Republic as part of the unmodified Constitution of the Roman Republic. Under this model, the state is divided into branches, each with separate and independent powers and areas of responsibility so that no one branch has more power than the other branches. The normal division of branches is into an executive, a legislature, and a judiciary. ..."
- 'DPM Wong questions opposition's GRC motives': "If they were to compare the candidates of the two sides, I hope that they will closely scrutinise all the candidates. If they are new candidates, then make use of this occasion to grill them, to understand them, to know more about them, and to ask them.... I have been looking forward to this for a while...and I hope the opposition will come, give our voters a chance, and also help us understand what else we need to do (so as) to do better in the constituency." [ST, 24Mar2011] [alt link]
- 'PM Lee says countries worldwide respect and admire Singapore's proven system': "Suppose you had 10, 15, 20 opposition members in Parliament...I'm going to spend all my time thinking what's the right way to fix them, to buy my supporters votes, how can I solve this week's problem and forget about next year's challenges?.. " [CNA:03May2006][YouTube/@1m10s]
- 'Singapore ministers set for million-dollar pay hike': "...'If we don't do that... corruption will set in and we will become like many other countries,' Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean was quoted as saying in the Straits Times last week." [Reuters5Apr2007]
- 'Upgrading should be a separate issue from the General Election': "We are concerned about the linking of public housing upgrading and estate renewal programmes to electoral support for the PAP in a constituency. The prioritization of upgrading programmes should be based on sound criteria and be kept a separate issue from the general election.." [petitiononline.com]
- 'How PAP uses taxpayer-funded grassroots for political gain': "The People’s Association (PA), ..Like all other stat boards, it receives a yearly grant from the government to run its programmes and cover operational costs. .. It spent a total of $320 million last year.However unlike most stat boards, whose chairmen are usually the permanent secretary of the parent ministry or some other senior civil servant, PA’s chairman is none other than the Prime Minister [pict]. .. No other public sector board in Singapore has so many “Men in White” on it..." [G Giam, 10Oct2009].
- '‘Adviser over MP’ raises many questions': "PAP MPs are appointed as advisers to the grassroots organisations in their wards by the People’s Association (PA). In the two opposition wards, the PA picked the PAP candidates who contested but lost in the wards in the last two polls as the grassroots advisers." [ST, 22Oct2009][alt link]
- 'Town Council Act (CAP 329A) states clearly that Govt must work with Town Councils (run by MPs) to implement LUP': "It is a joke that for some strange reasons or another, Mr Shanmugan’s ministerial colleague has refused to obey the Town Councils Act by choosing not to work with Hougang Town Council and even has the audacity to TWIST the facts by claiming that 'it is the role of the grassroots advisers to implement the LUP' through his press secretary when it was stated NOWHERE in the Town Councils Act that the LUP has to be carried out by the grassroots advisers! From beginning to end, there was no mention of the words 'Grassroots advisers', 'People Association' or 'PAP losing candidates' and so how did Mr Eric Low come into the picture at all? " [TR, 29Oct2009][alt link]
- 'Civil servants – no longer politically neutral?': "The question which arises is: should civil servants be involved in a political party and participate in its activities?" [TOC, 27Feb2011]

Last edited:

seebaysong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: DPM Wong: "..opposition pls come.. and help us better the constituency"

Trivia: Which minister can sure to get votes from pple like MS ? :biggrin:

jbsmith

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: DPM Wong: "..opposition pls come.. and help us better the constituency"

Vote for him, my children will have no future. :biggrin:

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal
I vote for him? He take a FT ah neh, open his zip then take his dick out to hit my head. He think i stupid or wat..

I have no respect for Chee SJ but i will still vote for him as I think PAP can do more harm to me then Chee