• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In S'pore, a part-time MP is paid $190,000 a year

S

suicidalpap

Time is ripe for full-time MPs
Some ought to take the plunge
Letter from Errol Goodenough 05:55 AM Dec 16, 2010

EVER since I cast my first vote in the General Election almost forty years ago, I have often puzzled over why at least some Members of Parliament (MPs) do not devote themselves full-time to their job.

The vigour of the election campaign seems not to be matched when successful candidates eventually gravitate to their full-time careers after the hustings, leaving time only for part-time stewardship in their constituencies.

For last year, an MP's annual allowance, which is pegged to civil service pay, was reportedly $190,000. Even allowing for deductions towards the party's kitty, et cetera, there remains a substantial sum.
No MP will end up in the poorhouse by choosing to switch to full-time representation.

On the contrary, working full-time will not only endear the incumbent to residents but also provide daily first-hand insight into the problems faced by town council personnel and grassroots leaders.

It should be interesting if, with the General Election looming, at least a handful of candidates take the plunge and pledge their service full-time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why pay so much for a part-timer?

S

suicidalpap

Yes, why pay so much for these cho bo lan PAP MPs? Waste of tax payers' money.

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
that is excluding their independent director fees from numerous companies and their numerous "job allowance" like Shamugan
Minister of Law, job allowances how much ?????
Minister of Home affair, job allowances how much ?????

if you add these allowances and director fees, I wont be surprises if it surpass $10m annually.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
This joker Wee Siew Kim whios works part time with PM LHL is drawing S$190,000 per yearfor such part time work,S$950,000 for 5 ears,WTF?

In response to the scandal, Wee Siew Kim stated that he supported Shu Min's point in principle and that "people cannot take the brutal truth,"[8][10] but he and Shu Min's college principal also expressed disappointment and counselled her to be more sensitive towards others. Wee also claimed that his daughter's privacy had been violated.[2] Critics pointed out however, that he appeared to have endorsed her elitist remarks and failed to address values such as empathy and humility, and that he was apologising for the tone, but not the content of his daughter's response.[11] Furthermore, the government had previously made it clear that there was no such thing as Internet privacy with the imprisonment of bloggers under the Sedition Act just over than a year earlier,[11] and that Wee Shu Min should be old enough to take responsibility for the consequences of her statements.[1]

“ What she said did come across as insensitive. The language was stronger than what most people could take.
But she wrote in a private blog and I feel that her privacy has been violated. After all, they were the rantings of an 18-year-old among friends.

I think if you cut through the insensitivity of the language, her basic point is reasonable, that is, that a well-educated university graduate who works for a multinational company should not be bemoaning about the Government and get on with the challenges in life.

Nonetheless, I have counselled her to learn from it. Some people cannot take the brutal truth and that sort of language, so she ought to learn from it.

In our current desire to encourage more debate, especially through the Internet, our comments must be tempered with sensitivity.

I will not gag her, since she's 18 and should be able to stand by what she says.

The new media of the Internet is such that if you don't like what she has said, you have the right of rebuttal.

Hopefully, after the discussion, everyone will be the richer for it. As a parent, I may not have inculcated the appropriate level of sensitivity, but she has learnt a lesson, and it's good that she has learnt it at such an early stage in life.'