• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

DPM Wong said he is brave to admit mistakes

vincenttan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Officers from Singapore’s Home Team are reminded that mistakes must be addressed and not swept under the carpet.

Speaking at his Ministry’s National Day observance ceremony on Thursday, Deputy Prime Minister and Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng said officers must take ownership and account for their mistakes.

His call came in the wake of incidents involving the Home Affairs Ministry which have brought about public scrutiny. These include the escape of Jemaah Islamiyah leader, Mas Selamat Kastari, from Whitley Road Detention Centre earlier this year.

Mr Wong said: "Some of you may be concerned that you would be penalised harshly if you make a mistake, so much so that your focus is on avoiding mistakes, rather than in making positive arrests and detections. I do appreciate and understand your concerns. Let me assure all Home Team officers that we will always observe the need for pragmatic balance in all that we do.

"But I also assure you that how the officers responsible will be taken to task will always be fair and just. Commanders will ultimately be liable and assessed on the quality of their leadership as reflected in the performance of their officers, as well as the manner in which they address problems and adversity."

On a separate note, several public—spirited citizens were commended on Thursday for their role in preventing crime.

Mr Wong said there was a marginal one per cent increase in crime cases for the first half of the year. Housebreaking and related crimes dipped by 22 per cent this year, compared to the same period in 2007.

"While fire calls have increased fractionally, the number of fires within residential premises fell. Fires involving household contents and unattended cooking fell by 23 per cent and 3 per cent respectively.

"Civil Defence Force’s preventive education efforts, together with the National Fire and Emergency Preparedness Council and its community partners, seem to have paid off. Equally encouraging is the 11 per cent fall in fires involving non—residential buildings, including commercial and industrial premises," he said.

The drug abuse situation in Singapore has also seen an improvement. But Mr Wong said the Central Narcotics Bureau needs to keep an eye on inhalant abuse, especially among the youths in school — many of whom are first timers.

On security checks, he said: "At the checkpoints, the enhanced security checks and sustained vigilance garnered positive results for the first half of this year.

"The number of illegal offenders arrested at the checkpoints plunged by almost 41 per cent, compared to the same period last year. Seizures of contraband remain high as 17,700 contraband smuggling cases were detected in the first half of the year."

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
WKS forgot to mention that it is ok to make mistakes 3 times in a row if you have a strong backing like LKY.

In addition, your name also play an important part especially if you are LEE or LEE related, and best of all, your name is Wun Kena Sack !!

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He can don't admit the mistakes. The world already knows his mistakes. Since there is nowhere to hide, so he just has to admit the mistake, not his though, but the mistake of others complacency.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
True but that applies to private sector only. Too bad he wants to draw private sector salary and still want to maintain civil servant status quo in order to enjoy the fruits of both world and yet he doesn't deserve them.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
WKS forgot to mention that it is ok to make mistakes 3 times in a row if you have a strong backing like LKY.

In addition, your name also play an important part especially if you are LEE or LEE related, and best of all, your name is Wun Kena Sack !!

Wun Kena Sack. Very appropriate description for this overpaid person, who in reality is not worth a dime, but has a diamond studded iron rice bowl.

ILUVPAP

So how come the short ass dick wad Cunt Sing doesn't practise what he preaches? If he was a man at all, he would have taken responsibility for the fiascos and stepped down. Unfortunately Wong Cunt Sing is a ballsless whore who only thinks of his losing his perks and $$ if he took ownership of the screw ups.

ccchia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am puzzled? As far as I am aware, the short arse WKS did not admit his mistakes, especially the most well-known one for allowing the limper to escape from detention.

Even Pinkie tried to help him by declaring that the mistake "was not WKS' fault".
We are all aware of the cover up of WKS' many mistakes, and his cowardice of not admitting the same and for trying to shift the blame to others.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Admitting mistakes is one thing.... taking responsibility and resigning is the braver thing. Show us you are really brave, KS, not just hot air.

gambler

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha, no one else already ... the buck stopped there, so he cant possiboy say it is the PM's mistake :smile:

chaomonkey

Alfrescian
Loyal
PLS LAH, which part of the speech did he say he is brave to admit mistakes or if he even admitted to his mistakes?

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Admitting mistakes is one thing.... taking responsibility and resigning is the braver thing. Show us you are really brave, KS, not just hot air.

Talk is cheap let's see some action. If he were to really want to take responsibility, either offer to step down or in his private capacity offer a huge reward for the capture of Mas Selamat.

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
If my maid goes out on Sunday and gets pregnant, get caught for shoplifting, decides to run away with some guy, I lose my deposit. What she does outside is well beyond my control?? Maybe I can appeal to PM Lee then maybe I don't have to pay for someone's mistake like how WKS should not be held responsible for what had happened.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Officers from Singapore’s Home Team are reminded that mistakes must be addressed and not swept under the carpet.

Speaking at his Ministry’s National Day observance ceremony on Thursday, Deputy Prime Minister and Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng said officers must take ownership and account for their mistakes.

His call came in the wake of incidents involving the Home Affairs Ministry which have brought about public scrutiny. These include the escape of Jemaah Islamiyah leader, Mas Selamat Kastari, from Whitley Road Detention Centre earlier this year.

Mr Wong said: "Some of you may be concerned that you would be penalised harshly if you make a mistake, so much so that your focus is on avoiding mistakes, rather than in making positive arrests and detections. I do appreciate and understand your concerns. Let me assure all Home Team officers that we will always observe the need for pragmatic balance in all that we do.

"But I also assure you that how the officers responsible will be taken to task will always be fair and just. Commanders will ultimately be liable and assessed on the quality of their leadership as reflected in the performance of their officers, as well as the manner in which they address problems and adversity."

On a separate note, several public—spirited citizens were commended on Thursday for their role in preventing crime.

Mr Wong said there was a marginal one per cent increase in crime cases for the first half of the year. Housebreaking and related crimes dipped by 22 per cent this year, compared to the same period in 2007.

"While fire calls have increased fractionally, the number of fires within residential premises fell. Fires involving household contents and unattended cooking fell by 23 per cent and 3 per cent respectively.

"Civil Defence Force’s preventive education efforts, together with the National Fire and Emergency Preparedness Council and its community partners, seem to have paid off. Equally encouraging is the 11 per cent fall in fires involving non—residential buildings, including commercial and industrial premises," he said.

The drug abuse situation in Singapore has also seen an improvement. But Mr Wong said the Central Narcotics Bureau needs to keep an eye on inhalant abuse, especially among the youths in school — many of whom are first timers.

On security checks, he said: "At the checkpoints, the enhanced security checks and sustained vigilance garnered positive results for the first half of this year.

"The number of illegal offenders arrested at the checkpoints plunged by almost 41 per cent, compared to the same period last year. Seizures of contraband remain high as 17,700 contraband smuggling cases were detected in the first half of the year."

But not brave enough to admit the right thing - That he was a mistake to begin with

SAMURAISAN

Alfrescian
Loyal
WKS may be brave enough to admit mistakes but he is not brave enough to submit his resignation.

It's common knowledge now he pondered long and hard over doing the honourable thing: submit his resignation to the PM

But he was terrified should the PM accepts it.

Latest rumour was that he was the mysterious donor of the $1M for MSK reward....part of a deal he reached with the PM where he gets to keep his job, donate 6 months pay ($1M) for the reward, and let Shanmugam do all the talking in parliament when it comes to national Security issues.

If you have been following the news, you know this may be more than a rumour.

matrix

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN if he is brave should resign
afterall he is minister for home affairs KNN he should take full responsibility
for the BIG mistake PAP always claim they have lots of talented pple
Y cant WKS be replaced