• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The world's strangest, weirdest and scariest airports

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal

denverairport1_1652332i.jpg

From the Hebrides to the Himalayas, we reveal the strangest and scariest airports in the world.

Denver International

USA

Denver International Airport has found itself under intense scrutiny from conspiracy theorists since it opened in 1995.

Philip Schneider, a structural engineer turned whistle-blower who died in mysterious circumstances in 1996, claimed that beneath the airport lies a vast underground facility, which then prompted suggestions that the airport is actually hiding a secret military base or even a concentration camp.

And why, ask conspiracy theorists, do the runways form the shape of a swastika?

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal

denverairport2_1652309i.jpg

Even the artwork on display has fallen under the spotlight. Four bizarre murals of rather disturbing and apocalyptic scenes can be found inside the main terminal, which conspiracy theorists speculate depicts the true agenda of the "New World Order".

Meanwhile, a stone plaque above the terminal's entrance features a square and compass (a traditional Masonic symbol) and a dedication to the "New World Airport Commission" (no such organisation exists).

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal

courchevel_1652329i.jpg

Courchevel

France

Appropriately, Courchevel Airport's runway actually resembles a ski slope. The 1,700-ft stretch of tarmac is on the short side, but the 18.5 per cent gradient will quickly slow down arriving aircraft. Pilots must obtain a special permit to land here.

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal

princess-juliana_1652353i.jpg

Princess Juliana International

Saint Maarten

A planespotter's dream: aircraft land at Princess Juliana International Airport – the third busiest in the Eastern Caribbean – just metres above the heads of sunbathers below. The runway actually underwent an extension a few years ago, making arrivals a little less daunting.

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal

don-muang_1652310i.jpg

Don Muang International

Thailand

At first glance, this Bangkok airport doesn't look particularly strange, but sandwiched between the two runways is in fact an 18-hole golf course.
As far as attractive settings go, it doesn't quite rival St Andrews or Pebble Beach – while security considerations mean it is no longer open to the public.

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal

gibraltar_1652313i.jpg

Gibraltar

A lack of flat space on the tiny territory of Gibraltar means the peninsula's only runway is bisected by its busiest road, with a pair of flimsy-looking barriers the only thing preventing a nasty collision between a 747 and a Ford Orion.

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal

dammam_1652331i.jpg

King Fahd International

Saudi Arabia

Covering about 780 square kilometres of Saudi Arabian desert, King Fahd International is the world's largest airport – 160 square kilometres larger than the whole of neighbouring Bahrain. The airport's mosque (pictured) accommodates 2,000 worshippers, and there is a separate terminal for the Saudi Royal Family.

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juancho-Yrausquin_1652314i.jpg

Juancho E. Yrausquin

Netherlands Antilles

This runway is certainly not for nervous fliers. At 1,300-ft long, it's only fit for small aircraft and is considered by pilots to be one of the most challenging to land upon. It is flanked by high hills on one side and sheer drops on the other three.

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal

kansai-internation_1652315i.jpg

Kansai International

Japan

To cope with a lack of space, engineers constructed this island airport three miles off the coast of Osaka. Work took some seven years, and the structure is so large it can be seen from space. Was it $20 billion well spent? Perhaps not, as global warming could see the entire thing submerged within decades.

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal

barra_1652328i.jpg

Barra

Scotland

Can't wait to get off the plane and on to the beach? Head for the Hebridean island of Barra where the Scottish sands have been used as a makeshift runway since the Thirties. The airport handles 1,000 flights each year, but only when the tide is out.

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal

paro_1652326i.jpg

Paro

Bhutan

Surrounded by 5,000m Himalayan mountains, Paro Airport demands extraordinary skill from pilots. The rarefied air at 2,235m only compounds matters.

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal

lukla_1652352i.jpg

Tenzing-Hillary

Nepal

Another hellish destination for those of a nervous disposition, Tenzing-Hillary Airport – in eastern Nepal – features an enormous mountain at one end, and a sheer drop at the other. The runway is just 1,729-ft long, and at 2,860 metres above sea level, there are few airports found at a higher altitude.

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal

funchal_1652312i.jpg

Funchal

Madeira

The island's original runway was just 5,000-ft long, making it difficult for commercial aircraft to tackle. An ingenious solution was found, however, in the form of a 3,000-ft extension – a massive girder bridge.

/ASIA\

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="225" height="144"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jEP_dac58XE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jEP_dac58XE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="225" height="144"></embed></object>

Last edited: