• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

National Service Men are unwanted by many companies in spore

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
amabo said:
http://forums.vr-zone.com/chit-chatting/137135-d-painful-but-truth-about-ns-reservist.html
this story makes me cries, I remember in 1999 when I went to many private companies for interview, the interviewer always ask me, "so what you do in National Service ?" , eventually, non of them hire me, I landed a Job in SingTel who dun mind my national service obligation. #%#F$%#U$%#$@C%^$K^$&N^*^*@#S%^&

Painful but truth about NS reservist Gollum Mar 19th, 07, 01:46 PM #1 (permalink)
......Recently, a fresh Singaporean 26-year-old graduate related his interview at a foreign-owned fabrication plant here.

The first question the Taiwanese manager asked him was: “I see you are a Singaporean. Do you need to go back to serve NS every year?”

When he replied that he had to report back for in-camp training every year, the manager reacted negatively, observing that reservists who failed fitness tests would need to train until they passed.

He also mentioned frequent absence of employees who had to attend occasional military meetings, which disrupted workflow.

“If every Singaporean needs to do all this, then I’d rather not hire you all then. Every year you all have to take long periods of absence for NS and no work is done,” he added.

The Singaporean didn’t get the job.

“Singaporean males are going to suffer from this influx of foreign talents. We don’t have an even ground to compete on!” he complained.

The government appealed to employers not to discriminate against reservists, but it in many cases, it has fallen on deaf ears.

The logic of appeals borders on the absurd, remarked a blogger.

“Why should a business entity which has to earn a profit for shareholders support an obligation imposed on Singaporean males?”

The answer is obvious: “Security guarantees its own stable existence,” but it’s not always evident in their business annals.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have heard of HR managers discriminating against religion for some jobs. Reason being got take time off for worhsip and cannot work on religious holidays.

Young married women as well, for fear of them getting pregnant and taking maternity leave.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Hey, the topic here is not about religion (one can always change religion), getting pregnant (one can always choose to not copulate) or getting old (its nature's way) as factors contributing to discrimination by employers.

Instead, its about how serving NS is fucking up employment opportunities for NS men. This is a forced situation, where none of those negatively affected wanted to be in, in the first place. Bloody gahmen had better do something about it, and soon! Appealing to employers not to discriminate against reservists will not work. Act against them!! Oh wait, what if we lose these foreign investments......would be a bad move, economy affected. Hence, they will just appeal. And who suffers in the end? Poor sinkies again.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey, the topic here is not about religion (one can always change religion), getting pregnant (one can always choose to not copulate) or getting old (its nature's way) as factors contributing to discrimination by employers.

Instead, its about how serving NS is fucking up employment opportunities for NS men. This is a forced situation, where none of those negatively affected wanted to be in, in the first place. Bloody gahmen had better do something about it, and soon! Appealing to employers not to discriminate against reservists will not work. Act against them!! Oh wait, what if we lose these foreign investments......would be a bad move, economy affected. Hence, they will just appeal. And who suffers in the end? Poor sinkies again.

This is what living in a fascism is like. Individuals are only tools to sacrifice for the "greater good" e.g GDP, national security etc.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

NS has now in in existence almost 3 generations and over 4 decades. There is plenty of time for the PAP to do an analysis on it and for economists, socialogists, etc. to study it. If looked objectively, the whole of NS has been more negative than positive.

NS has changed the entire social dynamics of the country. Males enter the workforce at least 2 years later than women in their same age. By the time, they hit the workforce, their former female classmates are now their supervisors, and have been earning more money than they have while they were in NS. If a woman wants to marry a male in her age group, there is a good chance she will be earning more than he. What male will tolerate that.

The PAP has not dared to even examine the health issues associated with NS. NSmen that were injured or suffer some sort of disability in their NS days are not and have not been getting any form of medical health. In their later years, they will start to see these health problems crop up. I know several arty guys that have partially lost their hearings. I see some other people suffering from respiratory ailments, especially those that train in Area D where the dust is crazy. Not to mention people who hurt their knees, legs, etc. that now intheir old age is coming back to limit their mobility issues.

The whole job situation as stated by the above poster.

Lost of productivity on a national level. Imagine u have to keep around 35,000 NSmen under uniform for 2 years. That's about 8.75million man hours lost every year to unproductive non economic activities. If u look at the number of supposed skilled PRs taking up residence here, well, its closed to the number of NSmen that are serving. Really do u need so many PRs if there is no NS anymore?

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got to start questioning the National Service issue and asking government to compensate if not the whole battalion can walk out .

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal
We, NS men are cheap bullet proof vest for Ah Nehs...

Dun go kana charge.. Go, waste time or job kana replace by FTs..

VOTE for PAP ??????

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
NS has now in in existence almost 3 generations and over 4 decades. There is plenty of time for the PAP to do an analysis on it and for economists, socialogists, etc. to study it. If looked objectively, the whole of NS has been more negative than positive.

NS has changed the entire social dynamics of the country. Males enter the workforce at least 2 years later than women in their same age. By the time, they hit the workforce, their former female classmates are now their supervisors, and have been earning more money than they have while they were in NS. If a woman wants to marry a male in her age group, there is a good chance she will be earning more than he. What male will tolerate that.

The PAP has not dared to even examine the health issues associated with NS. NSmen that were injured or suffer some sort of disability in their NS days are not and have not been getting any form of medical health. In their later years, they will start to see these health problems crop up. I know several arty guys that have partially lost their hearings. I see some other people suffering from respiratory ailments, especially those that train in Area D where the dust is crazy. Not to mention people who hurt their knees, legs, etc. that now intheir old age is coming back to limit their mobility issues.

Lost of productivity on a national level. Imagine u have to keep around 35,000 NSmen under uniform for 2 years. That's about 8.75million man hours lost every year to unproductive non economic activities. If u look at the number of supposed skilled PRs taking up residence here, well, its closed to the number of NSmen that are serving. Really do u need so many PRs if there is no NS anymore?

If Sinkies keeping fearing LKY, the gangster, he will keep pushing you and hell he will care for you. If Sinkies feared the cuntries will suffer with PAP, then Sinkies males will have to suffer every 4 years and renew their suffer every 4 years becos they boh lum par to vote out the gangster.

If Sinkies are to voted in ALL oppositions into parliment in this coming election, and if voted out LHL too, they have remove this arsehole who give you 13 years of NS. This arselong wants to be a BG and a BG rank need certain numbers of soldiers in the army to qualify. As such arsloong make ALL Sinkies males do 13 yr of NS and Sinkies males did nothing to protest.

All Sinkies males are either Ah Quah or 'boh lum par arsholes'...hahaha

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
that's the problem about them going abroad to tout for investment influx, business establishments, hiring of foreigners etc.

when they go touting, they forget to highlight the national securities & the 5 core total defense values to the prospecting investors/ business owners. they paint the beautiful picture to lure companies in, but when they learn of the obligation of the singaporean males, we, the citizens r the unfortunate ones that bear the brunt of things.

in many other countries, all of which had once in history been ravaged by war chronicles, have no doubt implemented some form of conscription. but by far, have not instated practices to the likes of our "reservists"

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP typically reply:

"Surely the employers know the values of good Singaporean employees."

Talking cock!but Sinkies deserve it,because they couldn't be bother until it hits themselves or their family members.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its good to see Ah Beng being discriminated against for a change. Hope they like the taste of their own medicine.

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
WTF
1. Cannot hire the young men because they need to serve reservist
2. Cannot hire the old because they work too slow and some not too smart in morden tech equipment.
3. Cannot hire young women because anytime they can be absent for long periods giving birth.
4. Maybe cannot hire mats because they work only 4.5days per week.
So who can they hire?

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
When it comes to exploitation like NS, gahmen very pro-nationalism. When it comes to influx of cheap foreign labour, gahmen like to talk "globalization". So which is which?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You just nailed the poster on the wall, but how many reading that, will vote those who had made their lives miserable?

In the past, we have to contend with loosing 2 to 2.5 yrs of head start to women who do not have to do NS. NS allowances for a private then was S$95, by the time one complete NS, your girl friend would have two years of working experiences already & earning a good income. That was why at those time, many SINgapore men married Malaysian girls.

Then came the Malaysians at those years in hordes, one have to compete with them for work, later the gates opened for the Kong Kong people to come here, then the Pinoys & soon after the sluice gates at the dam was opened for one & all.

In 1995 I ask my Japanese immediate superior, why he employs mostly FT's or Malayisians or Malaysians PR, he told me, NS & Reservist. I was a few 'token' SINgaporeans in the company, later which going through HR files, I discovered a letter from the government 'softly' reminding the employers to employ at aleas xx% of SINgaporeans.

Not only men are unwanted by many companies except the 'member's ones, evern now it had changed; the S$9,000 can never replace the opportunity that all men would have lost to SINgapore women & the legions of 'foreign talents'

SINgapore men, what the f@#$k are you defending??:mad:

rollingmon

Alfrescian
Loyal
totally agree. I went to a few private sector companies for interviews and i was rejected despite have a degree and diploma. when they know that my ns unit is active like every year recall once, they seems to be uninterested in employing me. even if i am willing to take a lesser pay they will still prefer to hire FT as they need not serve ns. i guess the main reason why companies dun hire locals are due to the fact that they have to release us for ns unconditionally which many companies are not willing.