• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will increasing more ERP gantries/rates solve traffic congestion?

netuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally, though as a non-driver myself, I do not see the need for increasing the number of ERP gantries nor rates. This will not necessary reduce traffic at that particular timing.

IMHO, some suggestions include increasing COE (though some brudders might not agree; my apologies) or total road ban along congested areas.

Hope you guys will throw in more ideas for brainstorming!:smile:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Incease ERP grantry and rate will reduce the traffic a little only. If the ERP/grantry increase by at least $2/grantry and parking fee increase by double or $5/hour then take will make big different.

Mighty Megatron

Alfrescian
Loyal
Incease ERP grantry and rate will reduce the traffic a little only. If the ERP/grantry increase by at least $2/grantry and parking fee increase by double or $5/hour then take will make big different.

Did it work the first time round? Don't think so or at least results were nothing to shout about. Seems to me this is just another lame brained scheme disguised as initative. Want to solve traffic problems? Just reduce COEs. Cars are not just a means of transport here but are more a status symbol.

storm

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess sometimes its not a matter of the result after its implemented. Its a matter of what IF its NOT implemented.

But then, I do feel some of the new setup gantries are unncessary.

There were talks in the past saying they will totally eliminate gantries and it will turn into a gantry-less ERP situation! The very moment your car start to move from one point to another, they will be able to track you down by GPS and charge you accordingly!

Last edited:

goldencub

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it is not very helpful, but it does help to curb some road user from travelling through some busy joint, however if the driver needs to travel pass before he can reach his destination he will still use it. Now that the oil price is sky high it would also mean that using shorter path to save fuel is a preferred choice of most driver hence I really doubt the effectiveness of ERP to solve traffic. One example is traveling from North to Orchard using the CTE. It is the shortest path, so to solve the conjestion it should not by EPR, maybe another new highway to ease the flow would be more positive.

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
LTA will be putting up more and more gantries toward the 3rd or last quarter of the year. These gantries IMHO will only work if the rates really hurt our pockets. e.g in the gantry linking PIE to CTE. Max charge is S$5 during morning peak hrs.

To sweeten all these "barriers", road tax will correspondingly be reduced by only 15%........:cool:

Like what was said in the past......There is no restriction in ownership but pay for the usage :cool:

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
LTA will be putting up more and more gantries toward the 3rd or last quarter of the year. These gantries IMHO will only work if the rates really hurt our pockets. e.g in the gantry linking PIE to CTE. Max charge is S$5 during morning peak hrs.

To sweeten all these "barriers", road tax will correspondingly be reduced by only 15%........:cool:

Like what was said in the past......There is no restriction in ownership but pay for the usage :cool:

Ha! The losses from the reduction will be more than made up with the increased in revenue from the gantries. :mad:

kiko

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont think increase more ERP gantries will not solve traffic problem, as singaporean are Kiasu , they will still buy car .. I believe we should take public transport as ERp is getting more, take taxi also think twice as taxi also need to go to ERP areas, have to pay more taxi fare!

slyer

Alfrescian
Loyal
i'm not a driver but i feel there's no need to increase ERP gantries. in france the road congestion and car population problems are resolved without deploying the ERP gantries. if france can do it, sg can even do it since sg land size is small

extra ERP gantries is some excuses for earning extra revenues

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe one of our ministers owns a bicycle shop and wants to force people to travel using bicycles :biggrin: Notice how they are building alot of bicycle pathways? :rolleyes:

slyer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe one of our ministers owns a bicycle shop and wants to force people to travel using bicycles :biggrin: Notice how they are building alot of bicycle pathways? :rolleyes:

maybe sg shd adopt the bicycle culture which china adopted. i went to beijing and i am impressed by the large no of bicycles on the road. its more environ friendly and less pollution which is a good thing esp when global warming and green house effect is worsening...

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe sg shd adopt the bicycle culture which china adopted. i went to beijing and i am impressed by the large no of bicycles on the road. its more environ friendly and less pollution which is a good thing esp when global warming and green house effect is worsening...

A better example would be the dutch. What I do find impressive is seeing an Ang Mo in office attire cycling to work! Was totally surprised to see him on it was in the afternoon at that!

newcomerjkt

Alfrescian
Loyal

Running on bicycle would be good for the environment, but our kind of road is not design for bicycle so it would not safe for the cyclist.

storm

Alfrescian
Loyal
Running on bicycle would be good for the environment, but our kind of road is not design for bicycle so it would not safe for the cyclist.

Not only that, the kind of weather here will requires us to bring a extra set of working attire . :wink:

shrek2

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually bicycles are very workable - but involves a massive rethink and reshaping of traffic system as they need dedicated lanes to protect them. honestly s'pore isn't that big that the island isn't navigable by bike, unless u happen to stay in pasir ris and have to get to pasir laba camp by 8 every day, then different matter altogether.

good for the body too.

but it still won't help the parents who want to ferry their kids to school along bukit timah and those who need to send their partners to their workplaces.

maybe if companies allow more dressing down in occupations requiring mainly back end work, and provide some facilities to shower at the office...

but of course, the easy answer is always to build more gantries. always easy to build on a pre-existing foundation than to build one from scratch. seems like mot still bent on going for the easy.

litbour

lol true...u can actually do a round island cycling within 6-7hr....try before abit shag thou lol...east coast to jurong west to kranji dam to jalan kayu to changi village and back to east coast.....

Saw a news article some years back that say there is a shop in CBD that is for cyclist. They pay montly rental for parking of their bike in it and there is shower facilities and personal locker inside for them to use...if i remember the rate was quite cheap.

WORK IT

To me, this is simply a zero-sum situation. There are only limited roads and highways in this tiny island. To get from A to B, you really don't have too many alternative routes.

Limiting traffic flow on route A will in turn divert the lot to route B. Set up new gantries on route B then what? Do you thinks that by extending the ERP operation timing to 8pm will get people to leave for home later? My bet is, it will not happen - at least not in the short term.:wink:

punter888

Alfrescian
Loyal
For me is all nonsense...what the point for giving us rebate on our road tax and us hearing beep beep sound from our iu unit in our car at the end of the day?