• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will increasing more ERP gantries/rates solve traffic congestion?

Nomad

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dun think so.
the COE is supposed to take care of it.
look what happen,not only do not solve it but there is an increase in vehicles and motorcycles on the road.
i think,for short term,due to the inflation and increase of oil prices,there is definitely some effect and will see some improvement.
but after awhile,when everyone get use to it,the same problem will come back again.
this is typical and norm,a lot of us will complained and grumble about it,in the beginning. once we get use to it,everything will be norm again and you will see a lot of new vehicles on the road again.

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dun think so.
the COE is supposed to take care of it.
look what happen,not only do not solve it but there is an increase in vehicles and motorcycles on the road.
i think,for short term,due to the inflation and increase of oil prices,there is definitely some effect and will see some improvement.
but after awhile,when everyone get use to it,the same problem will come back again.
this is typical and norm,a lot of us will complained and grumble about it,in the beginning. once we get use to it,everything will be norm again and you will see a lot of new vehicles on the road again.

when the day comes, pap will claim erp works and u hv 666 believing that kind of bs.

punter888

Alfrescian
Loyal
image002.jpg

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Personally, though as a non-driver myself, I do not see the need for increasing the number of ERP gantries nor rates. This will not necessary reduce traffic at that particular timing.

IMHO, some suggestions include increasing COE (though some brudders might not agree; my apologies) or total road ban along congested areas.

Hope you guys will throw in more ideas for brainstorming!:smile:
remember the cashless society some good folks are trying to create? if no ERP, cashcard company no business lah...

some simple reflection: how many folks uses cashcard to buy food or other essential commodities?

i've even avoided using NETS. Cash is king, you'd be prudent during spending too =)

netuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi All!

Thanks for your idea sharing! Hope they will keep on coming.:smile:

So brudders here replied that COE may or may not help this problem. I managed to stumble across the COE prices between 1998 to 2008. It seems to me that the COE prices have dipped significantly (for 1998, ave of ~S$40,000 for 2000cc and ~S$20,000 for 2008)

So do you guys think that decreasing COE prices over the past ten years for more car ownership lead to the increment of ERP gantries/rates? Or? Appreciate your advice!

global25

Alfrescian
Loyal
To curb car population, the govt will have to do something to deter folks from owning a car. COE is one of the measure, if it doesn’t work, other method like road tax/ERP is another mean. If it still doesn't work, rest assure they will think of something up to make life difficult.

Increment in ERP charges and more gantries are expected.

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Watever the government do, the benefits oways goes to them. coe, erp all these r measures to increase their revenue.:rolleyes:

damnu88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Watever the government do, the benefits oways goes to them. coe, erp all these r measures to increase their revenue.:rolleyes:

Agreed!! What's the use of increase ERP gantries?? Does it mean lesser vehicles to the CBD or other areas??Then what is the use of COE. Increase COE lah... If a driver got a car and the auto loan to service will that keep the driver from entering the ERP.
It's only additional burden to the current drivers now. So present non driver think twice hoh...
That will only buffer to the govorman pocket which need to cover the road tax rebate and those candy given out lately then in another way squeeze the singaporeans dry and increase their revenue in another way or ways.

xtrocious

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me thinks the LTA created this problem (with more COEs) and are now "happily solving" it by erecting more ERP gantries...

And if you look around, at least in the CBD, a lot of the congestion is due to the perpetual roadworks, as well as the road closures for the F1 (F9 if you ask me) preparation work...

Redoxan

My friend who runs a restaurant biz in Liang Seah Street told me that business is badly hit in weekends.

How long the biz can sustain?? Nobody knows!!

With all these inflation, how can it benefit the retailers in long run???

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally, though as a non-driver myself, I do not see the need for increasing the number of ERP gantries nor rates. This will not necessary reduce traffic at that particular timing.

IMHO, some suggestions include increasing COE (though some brudders might not agree; my apologies) or total road ban along congested areas.

Hope you guys will throw in more ideas for brainstorming!:smile:

It only people who needs car will buy it since gov makes it so expensive. It makes no sense to spend a bomb to buy car only to end up not using it because of erp charges. Thus erp isn't going to work here because it targeted at genuine group of users where cars are necessity rather than luxury or people who can afford to pay.

A better way will be for gov to abolish coe and implement island wide erp.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every schoolboy (and probably girl too) dreams of owning a car after they leave school and start work. It is a goal. No matter what the cost(s), they want one. Manufacturers design automobiles and make them appeal to the consumers. advertisers glamorise these cars further, even enticing them with sexy models. And you want to reduce the number of cars? Good luck.

Cheers!