• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Window Phone 7 - Too late?

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reuters - Tuesday, October 12SendIM StoryPrint

The new Windows Phone 7 is seen at the Windows Phone 7 launch news conference in New York, October 11, 2010. REUTERS/Jessica Rinaldi
By Bill Rigby and Sinead Carew

SEATTLE/NEW YORK - Microsoft Corp's last-ditch attempt to reclaim its prominence in the smartphone market won favorable early reviews on Monday, but it may come too late to claw back customers from Apple Inc and Google Inc.

The world's largest software company, along with network carriers and handset makers, is planning to spend more than $100 million on marketing the phones, which analysts said could compete with Apple's iPhone, but that may be a struggle.

"We are the first to admit that Microsoft is fighting for third place, not first or even second, at this point; but we believe this is a key step toward rebuilding confidence in their ability to innovate in mobile," Wells Fargo analyst Jason Maynard said in a research note.

"This isn't going to move the market share needle in the short term."

"They have phones with slide-out keyboards, larger screens, high definition outlets -- all features that the iPhone does not have," said Ross Rubin, a consumer electronics analyst at retail research firm NPD Group. "That should help Microsoft's competitive position. There will always be a segment of customers that seek out the newest devices."

The line-up of nine new phones from Samsung Electronics Co Ltd, LG Electronics Inc, HTC Corp and Dell Inc will start to appear in stores later this month in Europe, and in November in the United States on AT&T Inc's network.

The handsets are much closer in look and feel to Apple's iPhone than earlier Windows phones, with colorful touch-screens and "live tiles" on the starting screen for quick access to email, the Web, music and exclusively, games on the Xbox system.

"The user interface is quite innovative because it takes advantage of those precious few seconds when eyes hit the glass and actually gives you something useful," said Al Hilwa at research firm IDC. "It will probably be copied by other platforms over time."

Microsoft said the launch will be backed by heavy television advertising in the run-up to the holiday shopping season, as it looks to vault itself back into the market.

"This is Microsoft's last chance to be a major player in the smartphone market," said analyst Jack Gold of J.Gold Associates. "Microsoft will be required to undertake a massive consumer education campaign if it wants to stand a chance of differentiating itself from iPhone and Android, which have far greater market presence."

British actor and writer Stephen Fry, an outspoken fan of Apple products, praised the phones on stage at a launch event in London.

"When I got one of these my first feeling was it's fun to play with. I have felt enormous pleasure using this phone," said Fry, who was invited, but not paid, to speak at the event. "Yes, I love Apple, but I'm not a monotheist. I want biodiversity in this market and all of us that love it should welcome that too."

LAST CHANCE

The new phones represent Microsoft's last chance to catch up in the smartphone market with rivals who overtook it in the past few years.

"I've been looking forward to this day for some time," said Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer, showing off the nine phone models at a launch event in New York.

Ballmer, who has admitted his company "missed a generation" with its recent unpopular phone offerings, said the new phones would eventually be available from 60 mobile operators in 30 countries.

The first phone from AT&T, priced at $200, will be available on November 8, said Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. Some phones will be available October 21 in Europe.

AT&T will give the phones ample room in its stores for promotion. "We're expecting these to be really big sellers," said Jeff Bradley, AT&T's senior vice president for Devices.

"This is a marathon, not a sprint. They are not going to change their position today or in the next month," said Michael Gartenberg, an analyst at research firm Gartner. "But they've established themselves as a credible player."

Microsoft did not give any sales forecasts for the new phones.

NEW FEATURES

The new phones, which are built on the Snapdragon processor made by Qualcomm Inc, represent Microsoft's best attempt yet to introduce live connections with its other products and the Web.

Users will be able to play Xbox Live games on the phones, link to Windows Office, use the Bing search engine and download and play music through its Zune music software. TV episodes are also available for download via AT&T's U-verse service. Updates from Facebook will be incorporated into a user's contacts.

Game maker Electronic Arts Inc said it will introduce a wave of games for the new phone software this holiday season. That should boost the phone's popularity among gamers, especially the 25 million subscribers to Microsoft's Xbox Live gaming network.

Microsoft has a market share of only 5 percent in the global smartphone market, according to research firm Gartner, compared with 9 percent a year ago. Google's Android system has a 17 percent market share, jumping from only 2 percent a year ago.

Gartner expects almost 270 million smartphones to be sold worldwide this year, up 56 percent from last year.

In comparison, Gartner expects only a 19 percent increase in worldwide PC sales to 368 million units this year.

Microsoft shares closed up 2 cents at $24.59 on Nasdaq. AT&T shares rose 10 cents to $28.32 on the New York Stock Exchange.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20101012/tbs-business-us-microsoft-phones-7318940.html

Ackerley

I am using window XP, now i am waiting for window 8 which is released by Microsoft in February 2012 . i wanna install windows 8 because, Windows 8 will contain a new user interface based on Microsoft's design language named Metro. With the new change, the Start Menu was replaced in favor for the new Start Screen, where there are tiles that contain shortcuts to applications, Metro style applications, and updating tiles, similar to Windows Phone. Metro may be turned off in the Windows Registry setting.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am using window XP, now i am waiting for window 8 which is released by Microsoft in February 2012 . i wanna install windows 8 because, Windows 8 will contain a new user interface based on Microsoft's design language named Metro. With the new change, the Start Menu was replaced in favor for the new Start Screen, where there are tiles that contain shortcuts to applications, Metro style applications, and updating tiles, similar to Windows Phone. Metro may be turned off in the Windows Registry setting.

You registered an account to put in some good words for Windows 8?

Microsoft and Nokia Caught AstroTurfing, Abusing/Attacking Genuine Posters
http://techrights.org/2011/12/26/microsoft-and-nokia-astroturf/

Microsoft, Nokia linked to comments on negative Lumia review
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57345892-94/microsoft-nokia-linked-to-comments-on-negative-lumia-review/

-------------------------
Why Microsoft 8 doesn’t matter
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2011/09/15/why-microsoft-8-doesnt-matter/

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/01/11/0046233/qualcomm-wants-a-piece-of-the-pc-market

Re:Windows 8 for ARM & Android? (Score:5, Insightful)
by hairyfeet (841228) <bassbeast1968@gm ... m minus language> on Wednesday January 11, @01:44AM (#38660782) Journal
It doesn't matter as that turkey is gonna bomb so hard it'll finally make MSFT Bob look good!

Think about it friends, the way to know a thing is to understand it, now why do people buy Windows machines? Why to run WINDOWS programs of course! And guess what don't run on ARM? The 25 damned years worth of X86 Windows programs that everybody buys fricking windows for in the first place!

I can tell you what is gonna happen because i saw a dry run of it last Xmas, a local merchant was selling "Windows tablets!" and it looked like XP, but had in the corner a little "Compact Edition" label. Do you think ANYBODY knew what the fuck that meant? Hell no, they can't keep up with all the Windows versions anyway! So many bought the things and took them home, tried them and when they found they wouldn't actually run WINDOWS programs on a "Windows Tablet" they were brought back EN MASSE. The merchant ended up having to stick a sticker over the Windows part and sell them for a loss as a generic tablet.

And THAT dear children is what is gonna happen with Windows 8, Ballmer is trying to force a cell phone OS onto the desktop which doesn't have touch screens for 99.5% of the units being sold and at the same time fool developers into thinking "Hey if I write for Win 8 i can sell anywhere!" which of course is complete horseshit as X86 and ARM devices are about as different as mopeds and semi trucks. one you have to be ultra light and give a shit about resources, the other? Meh they got multicores and assloads of RAM anyway right?

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Ballmer is hated enough by the engineers they are gonna let the sweaty monkey hang himself by his own stupid ideas, otherwise somebody would have called captain obvious to save the day. Everyone knows since he has been CEO its been one clusterfuck after another with only the fact they brought in the office guys to gut Vista and rebuild it from the ground up into a decent OS keeping them from back to back flops. I mean look at his track record, rushing X360 with a fatal flaw costing billions, Zune, killing playsforsure for Zune market, kin, WinPhone looks to be another WinMo flop, hell i could probably go on all day. Any company that is stupid enough to waste resources on Windows 8 development deserves to fail. the smart money says everyone sticks with Win 7 which will hopefully get the monkey FIRED and bring in someone like Ozzie that has a brain. Lets face it if he wasn't billy's little buddy he'd already be shitcanned, he's cost them dump trucks worth of money trying to be Apple.

Final prediction? Win 8 total flop, win 7 sells like mad as people scramble to keep from getting stuck with win 8, OEMs demand downgrade rights to 7, Ballmer fired. The last one not a sure bet if Billy gets involved but surely another Vista flop will have the board revolt.

Re:Windows 8 for ARM & Android? (Score:3)
by mcrbids (148650) on Wednesday January 11, @02:24AM (#38660946) Journal
You know what? This makes sense. I wish I had mod points.

Microsoft is right now locking horns with the "innovator's dilemma" and are fighting hard to avoid it. A new computing platform has emerged, the mobile market, and despite having a 10 year lead on it, Microsoft managed to miss the boat so badly that they make more money on patent licensing on their competitor's product (Android) than on sales of their own.

Windows 8 is their attempt to merge their Desktop environment (their strength) with the mobile market. (their complete failure after too many attempts to name)

Can they do it? Dunno. But realize that there was a time when Microsoft was the "Android" and IBM with its *nix mainframes was the "desktop". IBM mainframes still own their respective marketplace, and IBM is still a massive technology provider.

Android won't destroy Windows anymore than Windows destroyed *nix. It may take Microsoft a while to realize this.

Re:Windows 8 for ARM & Android? (Score:2)
by hairyfeet (841228) <bassbeast1968@gm ... m minus language> on Wednesday January 11, @05:56AM (#38661724) Journal
The problem is that under gates MSFT knew what they were, they were a consumer and business OS manufacturer. But then here came Ballmer and his entire strategy, if you can call it that, as CEO has been "What's Apple doing? Ohh me too!" and its been a disaster. if he wants to go after the consumer market on mobile he needs to split that group off from the core OS and office group so they can innovate without being tied to selling Windows and Office.

I mean have you TRIED windows 8? you really should as its very revealing, it totally sucks ass on anything that isn't a touchscreen! Its a fricking WinPhone desktop! So what you have is a desktop designed for an interface 99% of their customers WON'T have so that's a massive fail, they are porting it to an arch that is the EXACT opposite of X86 which means all their software, the ONLY thing that gives Windows a lock on the desktop, is completely gone, and finally just to really fuck up their market they are calling BOTH the X86 AND the ARM versions the same damned thing! Now how in the fuck is the average windows consumer, who doesn't know a CPU from a HDD, gonna know which one runs what? Answer, they won't which is why this is gonna be a fail of truly titanic proportions folks.

If I didn't know better I'd swear apple had snuck in a ringer as this is gonna torpedo Windows sales better than anything they could dream of! people WILL be afraid to buy it after their friends tell them horror stories about "ZOMFG I bought Windows and it wouldn't run Windows stuff ZOMFG!" and for business tying a boat anchor to the entire OS by adding a ton of little always running "craplets" as i call them will be right out not to mention since the whole thing is tied into IE you might as well call it the second coming of ActiveX so they'll be staying on win 7, this is gonna make their stock nosedive and make the OEMs so pissed you mark my words they'll DEMAND downgrade rights and it'll be Vista all over again!

But if this braindead idea isn't proof that MSFT needs a new CEO badly i don't know what is, I mean how damned obvious does the stench of failure have to be before Ballmer gets a whiff? Who in the hell thinks having a version of Windows called Windows that doesn't actually run programs for Windows is a smart idea? The saddest part is Ballmer thinks developers are so retarded they will fall for it and write all these apps for Win 8 after ignoring WinPhone and WinMo, BWA HA HA HA HA developers aren't that stupid and they'll just ignore this like WinPhone and keeping writing for droid and iOS, so its all for nothing! They are gonna blow all that money for absolutely fricking nothing!

MS makes Windows unworkable outside Intel (Score:2)
by unixisc (2429386) on Wednesday January 11, @08:23AM (#38662452)
This is absolutely right! Remember in the 90s, when Microsoft introduced NT for RISC platforms like the Alpha & MIPS, they never ported their major programs there, like Office, nor the bulk of their apps. That made the MIPS version almost a non-starter (Silocon Graphics itself gave up very quickly, and NeTpower soon abandoned MIPS for Pentiums, while DeskStation abandoned MIPS for Alphas), while Alpha struggled to emulate Windows programs on an emulation software called FX!32, which of course just eliminated the sole advantage Alphas had over Pentiums - performance. Years later, Compaq pulled the plug on it, while NEC pulled the plug on NT/MIPS.

If Microsoft had, at that time, made Windows a portable platform and ported all their apps to all their Windows platforms, it would have ensured success of Windows on all platforms, and apart from making RISC platforms popular, would have made Windows ready to fly on any platform, w/ ready apps and all that. Microsoft of course didn't, those RISC platforms failed, Windows remained an Intel only OS. In fact, given that MIPS spans a wide variety of processors - from low power to top performance used in Silicon Graphics servers, had Microsoft ported everything to that, they'd have had a platform today, which, though not ARM, would have easily run many, if not most Windows programs, and there could have been spins for all sorts of devices - tablets, phones, laptops or anything else.

But they didn't, and now, they are struggling to be in 3rd place in the tablet market - something they'd not be had they all these years ensured at least that all their own apps run on RISC. By letting their Windows on RISC die, their wounds here are pretty much self inflicted. Now, they want to re-create a Windows on RISC, but why would devs select them over Apple or Android?

If Microsoft wants Windows 8 tablets to succeed, their only way to do it is to make their tablet platform the Atom and the Fusion, and let Intel & AMD provide the target CPUs for that segment, so that they can at least get their apps to run. It will have to be something where their apps will be the same as before, except that in addition to keyboard and mouse inputs, it will recognize touchscreen inputs. Otherwise, I don't see Microsoft doing better than even RIM or WebOS (whoever ends up owning it) in this segment.

As far as Windows 8 for the desktop goes, if their resource consumption this time is less than Windows 7, that would be the only reason to switch. Also, they have to provide a way (read: tinkering w/ registry settings is not a way) to have the Windows 7 UX if one wishes - don't make it a choice b/w just Metro and the old Windows 2000 classic.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Been trying out Win 7 & I might be going back to XP :o

The problems I find with Win 7 is that there's too much going on in the background. I hear my computer working on who knows what in the background:confused: The only reason I was evaluating Win 7 was because of it's support for TRIM.

Win 7 still has still the old problems with fragmentation, poor interface, ....when compared to OS X.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Got One

Microsoft is oudated since 10 years ago liao :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

porsche-cayman-s-design.jpg

Probably more than that. I think it has been dreaming since the emergence of the internet. It was successful to stop Mozilla onslaught with IE but ...

Yahoo! may close shop too. With Facebook, YouTube and Google in the lead, Microsoft has ...

Eastman Kodak will die soon. Porshe ?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The XP is not available from MS anymore.

The only way to get it is from JB, Suggest you get the Corporate version of Win XP & you won't need to key in any product ID if you are doing a fresh install:smile:

Or you can download from the Internets.

chowka

Alfrescian
Loyal
The XP is not available from MS anymore.

The only way to get it is from JB, Suggest you get the Corporate version of Win XP & you won't need to key in any product ID if you are doing a fresh install:smile:

Downside of WIN XP :

Third party software drivers have to download from manufacturers websites.

Over reformatting of HD prior to XP installation causes NTLDR issues.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Downside of WIN XP :

Third party software drivers have to download from manufacturers websites.

Over reformatting of HD prior to XP installation causes NTLDR issues.

The 1st time I installed Win 7 I was surprised that I didn't have to load all my drivers motherboard, video cards, etc. However since I'm a long time DOS/XP user, who's re-installed the OS many, many,... many times installing all those files is no big deal, it's all just part of using Windows :smile:

I've even made my own CD with all the updated drivers to facilitate re-installations. Have also got a hard copy on paper of bookmarked URL sites I visit & password. When one is using Windows one has to be prepared to do all these housekeeping duties.

On my Mac it was much easier since I never had to re-install the OS. However there was a problem of collecting clutter over the years of not doing any house keeping:o.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I use the free version of piriform on my windows machine & it's quite good. Although Win 7 has anti-fragmenting features, Piriform always finds the drive is fragmented:eek:. I would like to turn off the back ground processes, if I knew how:o

Haven't tried it on a Mac yet but it looks like you only need it to take care of cookies & zeroing deleted blocks. I'm sure many Mac users will agree that utilities like piriform are redundant on the Mac. The only thing I'm going to add to the Mac is Parallei to run Windows on the Mac:biggrin: