• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Window Phone 7 - Too late?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even the latest iMac is so much slower than my 1-2 years i7 quad core laptop running 16 threads.

Apple uses the same Intel processor as the PC brands. So I would be very surprised if there is much of a difference when you compare the processors with the same specs.

In the past I7 processors were not that common with Apple users, just as it was not common with PC users because of the price. I see this changing as the prices come down.

gbomega

Alfrescian
Loyal
This I know, I am poking fun at lowly they specs their machines and yet sell at such outrageous prices. LOL... and Adobe still has not make its creative suite fully 64 bit compliant on the Mac. Apple had walked into Adobe's software turf and maybe Adobe quietly sabotagethem back by giving them some software problems.

Apple uses the same Intel processor as the PC brands. So I would be very surprised if there is much of a difference when you compare the processors with the same specs.

In the past I7 processors were not that common with Apple users, just as it was not common with PC users because of the price. I see this changing as the prices come down.

gbomega

Alfrescian
Loyal
When Apple is using i3, PC uses i5 so when PC uses i7 the new Mac will be i5... the i7 iMac is retailing at a rip-off price. Apple is a cheat.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This I know, I am poking fun at lowly they specs their machines and yet sell at such outrageous prices. LOL... and Adobe still has not make its creative suite fully 64 bit compliant on the Mac. Apple had walked into Adobe's software turf and maybe Adobe quietly sabotagethem back by giving them some software problems.

One has to question if Apple's prices are really "expensive" when you compare the design & quality Apple puts into their products as cpmpared to other PC "branded" products:confused: The sales of Apple hardware is still healthy while the other PC companies are struggling. Even in Spore you can see this trend by going to Sim Lim & see what is selling selling i.e. Apple or accessories for Apple products.

Adobe is not a very efficiently run company. For years their mobile products stagnated e.g. flash in the Apple line was buggy. Last I heard was that all versions of mobile Flash was being discontinued :biggrin: Apple could easily buy them out but I think they are too busy making $$$$:wink:

Something that surprise me is that the PC makers are having problems making Ultrabooks that can compete with Apple's Mac Airbooks:eek: That's why Intel is stepping in to help with a reference design:smile: I expect Sandy Bridge to dominate this year. It might be a good time to consider a new laptop:confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When Apple is using i3, PC uses i5 so when PC uses i7 the new Mac will be i5... the i7 iMac is retailing at a rip-off price. Apple is a cheat.

I sometimes find that buying an Apple product is more painful :( Then I think of my current iBook which lasted 10+ years, my G4 tower,....

With a Mac you are getting plenty of extras like Thunderbolt, an IPS panel, SCSI, great finish, styling, ...
I was considering getting the cheapest Mac, the mini:confused: Probably get a Macbook Pro:o

gbomega

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mac mini is a piece of junk, get it at your own peril. All these extras are available on the PC platform. The problem is many like to compare $2,000 imac with $1,000 PC and think their iMac looks great.

I sometimes find that buying an Apple product is more painful :( Then I think of my current iBook which lasted 10+ years, my G4 tower,....

With a Mac you are getting plenty of extras like Thunderbolt, an IPS panel, SCSI, great finish, styling, ...
I was considering getting the cheapest Mac, the mini:confused: Probably get a Macbook Pro:o

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mac mini is a piece of junk, get it at your own peril. All these extras are available on the PC platform. The problem is many like to compare $2,000 imac with $1,000 PC and think their iMac looks great.

Some people are fussy about appearances & even the PC companies are putting in more effort in the appearance of their product. You might think the mini is junk but it takes alot of engineering to make something so small. The mini has more than enough connectors: Thunderbolt,scsi, HDMI, USB, Gigabite ethernet,...

Older Macs like the Mac IICi in the 80's used a plastic case with metallic paint for shielding. While PCs were using heavy metal cases. The Apple products was ahead of it's time when it came to design & materials used.

I remember when some generic PC companies tried their hand in designing mini-computer cases. There were lots of heat problems. Apple products might not be the cheapest but their products are usually well designed. I had a microATX dual core system which died on me last year. I suspect it was heat build-up that shortened its life. This Micro ATX was 4 to 5 times larger than a mac mini:eek:

gbomega

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can use the Mac mini for surfing and play some light videos, that's about it.
So its over-priced piece of junk. I have used many Macs in the course of my work and still find Apple is ripping customers. E.g., I was quoted $1,800 to replace a motherboard! What crap is this?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can use the Mac mini for surfing and play some light videos, that's about it.
So its over-priced piece of junk. I have used many Macs in the course of my work and still find Apple is ripping customers. E.g., I was quoted $1,800 to replace a motherboard! What crap is this?

When the 1st iMac was introduced I didn't think much of it because it was the consumer model. It lacked the power & expandability of the higher end models. Imagine my surprise when it went on to sell like hotcakes & helped Apple's revival:smile:

Apple discourages repairs. They make $$$ if people buy new hardware. Another reason is because Apple & other companies are by law required to keep spare parts for 5 years. They obviously want to keep spare parts to a minimum as it represents an expenditure of people's time & storage.

Anyone who gets an Apple product should really get an Applecare plan which will give an extra 2 years of warranty coverage i.e. coverage of 3 years.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ha Ha Ha not that old. Have XP for old games. :biggrin:

I have a Win 95 game that still runs under XP, only runs out of memory once in a while. The strange thing I noticed is that it ran better in a i7 machine than a core duo :confused: However since I upgraded to Win 7, the crashes have returned.

It doesn't surprise me that people are reluctant to upgrade their OS. If you got a PC using an old OS, why bother upgrading to Win 7 or 8:confused: Don't want to sound like a dinosaur but new is not always better:o

chowka

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a Win 95 game that still runs under XP, only runs out of memory once in a while. The strange thing I noticed is that it ran better in a i7 machine than a core duo :confused: However since I upgraded to Win 7, the crashes have returned.

It doesn't surprise me that people are reluctant to upgrade their OS. If you got a PC using an old OS, why bother upgrading to Win 7 or 8:confused: Don't want to sound like a dinosaur but new is not always better:o

It's about keeping up with technology and enjoying it's new advanced features that old OS don't have. Always good to have dual OS. :biggrin: