• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

here is my take as a Singapore PR from a western country.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - What the expatrait say.</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead vAlign=top><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>LauZoeTay <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>12:02 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 10) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>38604.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/index.php?topic=64363.15
Yes, here is my take as a Singapore PR from a western country.

If they made Singapore citizenship more attractive , i.e allow dual citizenship, I would take it up.

If they force me to give up my existing citizenship, I would simply leave and go off to one of the many other countries of the world that welcome English speaking highly paid professionals.

Why wouldnt I give up my existing citizenship? Well most importantly there are the emotional reasons of loyalty to my country and my ancestors who fought for it.

And there are of course the pragmatic reasons. The piece of paper called a western passport is not just a travel document that opens doors around the world but is also a medical insurance policy, giving me free health care in my homeland if I choose to take it, a social welfare card giving me access to varous social welfare benefits, a pension plan for when I am old, and an education subsidy for my children giving them the right to study in Universities back home (and in our friendly neighbour) at a highly subsidised rate.

If Singapore Inc thinks that any rational human being would give all that up for a Singapore passport, they need to tweak their grip on reality very fast.

___________WHEN SINGAPORE GOVERNMENT DONT PROVIDE ALL THESE TO OUR OWN CITIZENS, AND THEIR COUNTRIES ARE, WOULD THESE PEOPLE GIVE UP THEIR CITIZENSHIP JUST TO TAKE UP THE SINGAPORE CITIZENSHIP ?????[/SIZE]
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"> </TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To relate the experiences of my friends & relatives who have emigrated. whenever they return to Spore on holiday & other Sporeans find out they have exchanged their passports, they are held in great admiration for having escaped Spore :eek:

ho_seh_liow

Alfrescian
Loyal
A western passport holder working out of your country also gives you the "privildege" of avoiding the high income taxes( ~ 50%) in your own country
Am I right to say this?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
To relate the experiences of my friends & relatives who have emigrated. whenever they return to Spore on holiday & other Sporeans find out they have exchanged their passports, they are held in great admiration for having escaped Spore :eek:

Oh, thanks for the info, when I go back to Singapore, I'll mentioned that to my friends and relatives then. :smile:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A western passport holder working out of your country also gives you the "privildege" of avoiding the high income taxes( ~ 50%) in your own country
Am I right to say this?

So this ang moh enjoying best of both world? Low taxes in Singapore and all the benefits when he retire back home?

:mad:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fucking PAP can tell citizens if they don't like it here, they can leave. But they have got no balls to tell birds of passage and transients off to stay or quit.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From that same link from Makapaa's post
Totally share your views.

I think the value proposition from giving up your country's citizenship to take up Singapore's citizenship is vastly different if you come from a Western country (for the reasons you mention) or, say, India. Then obviously there are the emotional reasons.

Besides the obvious electoral posturing, I think there is more to it and that it will translate somehow into policy. I don't give high marks to the PAP for their record on human rights, but I give them credit for being able to do maths and being hardcore realists.

Facts are:

- Singapore's birth rate is below renewal rate
- they want to increase the population
- they have stated they do not want to become Dubai where the local citizens are the minority

The logical conclusion is that they HAVE to increase the citizenship take-up from PR's. I have no doubt that they will find a way to this end.

Gievn the structure of leadership at the PAP, it is likely that they will want to preserve the current ratios where the ethnic Chinese are a majority. So, as someone pointed, they will probably target PR's from the PRC, ethnic Chinese Malays and Indonesians.

There's a low likelihood that they would target Westerners and force them to give up their citizenship to become Singaporeans:

- Ang Mohs are not part of Singapore's traditional citizenry
- The Gvt realizes full well that the value proposition for this group is unfavorable
- There are a number of Westerners in senior positions at MNC's who have taken up PR. Imposing such conditions on them would trigger a flight to places like HK, eventually hurting Singapore's status as a business hub

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh, thanks for the info, when I go back to Singapore, I'll mentioned that to my friends and relatives then. :smile:

Believe me many Sporeans are now more open to leaving :eek:

Maybe some friends/relatives will be take a "sour grapes"n attitude, but the close ones will probably share their future plans of emigrating also :smile:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Believe me many Sporeans are now more open to leaving :eek:

Maybe some friends/relatives will be take a "sour grapes"n attitude, but the close ones will probably share their future plans of emigrating also :smile:

I have many friends and colleagued that asked me about immigration after I came here. Surprisingly, even the nay sayers are asking me the same thing. So no worries there.