SG Live Bet
SG Tipster

Thread: here is my take as a Singapore PR from a western country.

My Reputation Points: 1361 / Power: 11

Default here is my take as a Singapore PR from a western country.

Coffeeshop Chit Chat - What the expatrait say.
    To: ALL (1 of 10)
    http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/index.php?topic=64363.15
    Yes, here is my take as a Singapore PR from a western country.

If they made Singapore citizenship more attractive , i.e allow dual citizenship, I would take it up.

If they force me to give up my existing citizenship, I would simply leave and go off to one of the many other countries of the world that welcome English speaking highly paid professionals.

Why wouldnt I give up my existing citizenship? Well most importantly there are the emotional reasons of loyalty to my country and my ancestors who fought for it.

And there are of course the pragmatic reasons. The piece of paper called a western passport is not just a travel document that opens doors around the world but is also a medical insurance policy, giving me free health care in my homeland if I choose to take it, a social welfare card giving me access to varous social welfare benefits, a pension plan for when I am old, and an education subsidy for my children giving them the right to study in Universities back home (and in our friendly neighbour) at a highly subsidised rate.

If Singapore Inc thinks that any rational human being would give all that up for a Singapore passport, they need to tweak their grip on reality very fast.

___________WHEN SINGAPORE GOVERNMENT DONT PROVIDE ALL THESE TO OUR OWN CITIZENS, AND THEIR COUNTRIES ARE, WOULD THESE PEOPLE GIVE UP THEIR CITIZENSHIP JUST TO TAKE UP THE SINGAPORE CITIZENSHIP ?????[/SIZE]
    Options Reply

My Reputation Points: 335 / Power: 7

Default Re: here is my take as a Singapore PR from a western country.

This is the ultimate taunt.

My Reputation Points: 1792 / Power: 11

To relate the experiences of my friends & relatives who have emigrated. whenever they return to Spore on holiday & other Sporeans find out they have exchanged their passports, they are held in great admiration for having escaped Spore

My Reputation Points: 127 / Power: 6

shud go back to the west lah, talk so much for what

My Reputation Points: 10 / Power: 0

A western passport holder working out of your country also gives you the "privildege" of avoiding the high income taxes( ~ 50%) in your own country
    Am I right to say this?

My Reputation Points: 213 / Power: 7

Quote Originally Posted by annexa View Post
    15 years. By then you would have fucked off back to your cuntry after happily robbing sinkies of jobs.
    PR=Permanent Robbers=Please Return

My Reputation Points: 361 / Power: 6

Quote Originally Posted by johnny333 View Post
    To relate the experiences of my friends & relatives who have emigrated. whenever they return to Spore on holiday & other Sporeans find out they have exchanged their passports, they are held in great admiration for having escaped Spore
    Oh, thanks for the info, when I go back to Singapore, I'll mentioned that to my friends and relatives then.

My Reputation Points: 8729 / Power: 24

Quote Originally Posted by ho_seh_liow View Post
    A western passport holder working out of your country also gives you the "privildege" of avoiding the high income taxes( ~ 50%) in your own country
    Am I right to say this?
    So this ang moh enjoying best of both world? Low taxes in Singapore and all the benefits when he retire back home?

My Reputation Points: 146 / Power: 5

wahlaneh...
    thats another reason for hating foreigners.
    if not happy here balek kampong lah!

My Reputation Points: 681 / Power: 7

The fucking PAP can tell citizens if they don't like it here, they can leave. But they have got no balls to tell birds of passage and transients off to stay or quit.

My Reputation Points: 771 / Power: 8

From that same link from Makapaa's post
    Totally share your views.

I think the value proposition from giving up your country's citizenship to take up Singapore's citizenship is vastly different if you come from a Western country (for the reasons you mention) or, say, India. Then obviously there are the emotional reasons.

Besides the obvious electoral posturing, I think there is more to it and that it will translate somehow into policy. I don't give high marks to the PAP for their record on human rights, but I give them credit for being able to do maths and being hardcore realists.

Facts are:

- Singapore's birth rate is below renewal rate
    - they want to increase the population
    - they have stated they do not want to become Dubai where the local citizens are the minority

The logical conclusion is that they HAVE to increase the citizenship take-up from PR's. I have no doubt that they will find a way to this end.

Gievn the structure of leadership at the PAP, it is likely that they will want to preserve the current ratios where the ethnic Chinese are a majority. So, as someone pointed, they will probably target PR's from the PRC, ethnic Chinese Malays and Indonesians.

There's a low likelihood that they would target Westerners and force them to give up their citizenship to become Singaporeans:

- Ang Mohs are not part of Singapore's traditional citizenry
    - The Gvt realizes full well that the value proposition for this group is unfavorable
    - There are a number of Westerners in senior positions at MNC's who have taken up PR. Imposing such conditions on them would trigger a flight to places like HK, eventually hurting Singapore's status as a business hub

My Reputation Points: 1792 / Power: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Ash007 View Post
    Oh, thanks for the info, when I go back to Singapore, I'll mentioned that to my friends and relatives then.

Believe me many Sporeans are now more open to leaving

Maybe some friends/relatives will be take a "sour grapes"n attitude, but the close ones will probably share their future plans of emigrating also

My Reputation Points: 361 / Power: 6

Quote Originally Posted by johnny333 View Post
    Believe me many Sporeans are now more open to leaving

Maybe some friends/relatives will be take a "sour grapes"n attitude, but the close ones will probably share their future plans of emigrating also
    I have many friends and colleagued that asked me about immigration after I came here. Surprisingly, even the nay sayers are asking me the same thing. So no worries there.

Thread Information