• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Euro 2012 Qualifiers

Luis Suarez

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

06.09.2011 / 07.09.2011

Qualifying Round

2nb6r9k.jpg

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Oezil anticipates hostile reception

7 October 2011

12427267480.jpg

Germany star Mesut Oezil says he will be able to withstand potential jeers from Turkish fans in Friday's Euro 2012 qualifier.

Oezil, who is of Turkish descent, has been under fire for picking Germany as his national team, with critics of the decision saying it was career-driven.

The 22-year-old was jeered from travelling supporters in Germany's 3-0 home victory against Turkey in October last year and is expected to face a similar reception in Istanbul.

However, the Real Madrid ace claims he does not fear the Turkish crowd, telling DFB: "I am happy to be here. Istanbul is a very beautiful city and the atmosphere will be stupendous."

"I think Turkey's fans will jeer me, just like it happened in Berlin, but I am professional enough to not let it affect me."

Oezil is still in doubt for the game because of fitness worries, but the player noted he is hoping to be given the green light to feature.

"I am under treatment, but I am sure I will be fine and and I will be able to play," he said.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Euro 2012 qualifying preview: Battle heats up in Group B

7 October 2011

12427267080.jpg

Russia journey to Slovakia while the Republic of Ireland are in Andorra in Euro 2012 qualifying on Friday, with Group B's fate still up in the air.

Russia top the group on 17 points, with Ireland two points behind in second while Armenia and Slovakia are locked on 14 points in third and fourth place respectively.

Slovakia coach Vladimir Weiss has the hardest job out of any of the four managers to secure either top place in the group or a playoff berth, with his side having by far the worst goal difference at -2.

Armenia take on Macedonia on Friday in the group's other game, but with things as they stand there is every chance it could come down to Tuesday's final matches to settle things, with Russia hosting Andorra, Ireland welcoming Armenia and Slovakia away to Macedonia.

Ireland received a boost ahead of their trip to Andorra, with Sunderland defender John O'Shea training with his team-mates on Tuesday after overcoming a knock, while coach Giovanni Trapattoni is confident goalkeeper Shay Given's wrist injury will not keep him out.

Group H is the most open, with Portugal, Denmark and Norway locked on 13 points - although Portugal and Denmark have played one game fewer than Norway.

On Friday, Denmark are in Cyprus and Portugal welcome Iceland.

Group D is another tight one, with France just one point clear of Bosnia and Herzegovina ahead of their clash with Albania in Paris.

Elsewhere in Group D, Bosnia will fancy their chances of keeping the pressure on the French when they host Luxembourg, and Romania take on Belarus in Bucharest.

Italy have already secured their place at Euro 2012, but the Serbia side they meet on Friday in Belgrade will be desperate to try and shore up the playoff berth from Group C.

Serbia are only one point ahead of third-placed Estonia in the race for second place, and with Estonia away at Northern Ireland on Friday, the Serbs would love three points from their meeting with Cesare Prandelli's side.

It is a similar story in Group I, with Spain taking on the Czech Republic already assured of their involvement at Poland and Ukraine.

But the Czechs will be hoping for all three points from the fixture as they look to secure second place, as they hold just a two-point lead over Scotland, who travel to Liechtenstein on Saturday.

England need only a point from their Group G clash with Montenegro in Podgorica to make sure of qualification, while Switzerland are just three points behind Montenegro in third place.

Switzerland meet Wales in Swansea on Friday, and the final destination of second place may be decided on Tuesday, with the Swiss hosting Montenegro in Basel.

Greece play host to Croatia in a crunch Group F clash in Piraeus on Friday, with Croatia leading the group by just one point from 2004 champions Greece.

Both teams are guaranteed second place at worst, but would dearly love to secure qualification by topping the group to avoid the lottery of the playoffs.

Malta travel to Latvia for Friday's other Group F clash.

The Netherlands have secured qualification from Group E, with Sweden and Hungary locked on 18 points in the race for second, although Sweden have a game in hand.

Sweden are 10 goals better off than Hungary, but would like to collect at least a point from their trip to Helsinki as they host the Netherlands on Tuesday in their final game, while Hungary are at home to Finland.

Friday's other Group E match sees the Netherlands play Moldova in Rotterdam.

Turkey host Group A winners Germany, holding just a two-point buffer over Belgium as both teams vie for second place.

Belgium host Kazakhstan in Brussels while Austria are at Azerbaijan in the Group's other two matches.

youtalkcock

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Capello surprised by Rooney rage

8 October 2011

12427267930.jpg

England manager Fabio Capello has denied that Wayne Rooney has anger problems after the striker picked up a red card against Montenegro.

England qualified after securing a point with a 2-2 draw in Podgorica despite throwing away a two-goal lead, and Rooney was sent off for needlessly kicking out at an opponent in the second half.

Despite his well-publicised off-field problems in the past week, Capello insisted that Rooney's actions can simply be put down to performance frustrations and that they lay only on the pitch.

"It surprised me. Right in front of me he kicked the opponent," Capello told Sky Sports.

"I think the red card came probably because he was not happy with the performance and when he lost the ball he kicked the opponent.

"But for the next game he will be suspended and we will try to find new solutions."

"He is an important player for us. Sometimes the important player doesn't play well and can make mistakes. It will be a good lesson for him, and also for the team."

"The player's frustrations are always on the pitch, not what happened away from here or private problems. He tried to do something."

"It was not easy to control the ball or play the ball because the pitch was not perfect and he wants to be the best always, and when you sometimes miss the ball, miss the passes, miss the control, he is unhappy for this reason. I figure he was frustrated."

The 69-year-old Capello seemed relatively pleased despite the draw, commenting that qualification was the main goal for the team.

"We are really happy. We played this game to qualify for the Euros, but I need to speak about the game because we played really well for most of it," Capello added.

"After they scored, they found more chances to draw level - it completely changed the game. At the very end they drew the match and it is an OK result for both of us."

"I'm really happy with the game because to qualify was our first goal when we started the qualification for the Euros."

"The most important thing is to arrive at the goal. Sometimes you play well, sometimes not as well, but for 35 minutes in this game we played really well.

Capello then commented on England's next game, a friendly with world champions Spain at Wembley, and hinted that he will be picking a young team.

"Now we need to think about the next friendly game," he said.

"We will play against Spain at Wembley and I think for this game I will select young players."

"Some players will play for their first time in Wembley and it will be interesting."

Last edited:

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Redknapp: Rooney send-off costly

8 October 2011

12427268120.jpg

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp says Wayne Rooney's red card against Montenegro could be costly for England at the Euro 2012 finals.

The Manchester United forward was dismissed by referee Wolfgang Stark for a petulant reaction during Friday's qualifier in Podgorica and will miss at least the first group game at next summer's tournament.

Redknapp fears the Three Lions could even be without their talisman for three games in Poland and Ukraine and believes the suspension could end up costing Fabio Capello's side.

"It's hugely disappointing," Redknapp wrote in his column in The Sun newspaper.

"He could be missing for the entire group stage and the rush of blood could end up costing him and England dearly."

"A likely two-game ban at the start of the Euro 2012 finals is a massive, massive blow for England."

"He just cannot go around doing that sort of thing. We thought we'd seen the last of it but I guess he had his angry head on after all."

"Rooney is a ferocious competitor for Manchester United and for England but there has to be a line."

"I was thinking how mature he looked and how the situation involving his dad and his uncle had clearly not affected him and he had moved on."

Goals from Ashley Young and Darren Bent helped secure a 2-2 draw for Fabio Capello's side that was enough to book their spot in the Euro 2012 finals and Redknapp had words of praise for the attacking trio of Young, Rooney and Theo Walcott.

"The three forward players all did well," he added.

"Ashley Young, Theo Walcott and Rooney - aside from his sending off, of course."

"There is pace, energy and talent in that area and they are progressive players."

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dutch coach blasts Bayern over Robben

8 October 2011

12427268070.jpg

Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk has launched a stinging attack on Bayern Munich over injured winger Arjen Robben.
Robben was included in the national team to face Moldova and Sweden in the Euro 2012 qualifiers, yet he returned to Munich on Friday to have an operation to remove a hernia.

It is not the first time there has been a disagreement over Robben's fitness between the Netherlands and the German giants, with the two parties rowing in 2010 following the player's long absence after the World Cup that summer.

"Now they put the blame for Arjen's hernia on us instead of being thankful that we had him re-examined thoroughly. All at once they blame us, it can drive you crazy.

It's almost anti-social," van Marwijk told Radio.1.

"Even when called up for the games against Moldova and Sweden, Arjen told me that he was not fully fit. Robben told us that at Bayern he had played through pain."

"For us it is common for all players who claim to have an injury, to be examined before the start of training. Therefore we had Arjen examined by our doctor on Monday morning."

"Dr Gert-Jan Goudswaart had doubts about the diagnosis of inflammation of the pelvis. So he was not surprised when he discovered the hernia."

"We are very careful with Robben, that is why our doctor recommended a new investigation from a well-known radiologist."

In February, it was announced Bayern and the Netherlands would contest a friendly at the Allianz Arena on May 22 next year as part of a compensation package following Robben's injury problems, but Van Marwijk wants the match cancelled.

"If it's up to me, we won't play Bayern anymore. I've had it with Bayern. As far as I'm concerned, we don't play them in May," he added.

However, the Dutch Football Association director Bert van Oostveen has dismissed the idea that the game may not go ahead.

"I understand the emotion that can arise after the game, but we have a clear agreement with Bayern Munich.

The KNVB respects these agreements. We will play against Bayern, there is no question about that," he said.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Stankovic commends ´top three´ Italy

8 October 2011

12427268030.jpg

Serbia captain Dejan Stankovic believes Italy are in the top three nations in the world after they drew 1-1 with his side in Belgrade on Friday.

Cesare Prandelli's men have qualified for Euro 2012 after an unbeaten Group C campaign, and the Inter midfielder was impressed after the game in Serbian capital.

"There is no disappointment at the final score, seeing as we stepped on to the field against a side that was super-organised in every area," Stankovic told Repubblica.

"I personally complimented Cesare Prandelli, because I saw a very strong Italy and right now they are among the top three in the world."

"Prandelli has done an excellent job and we could not have done better against them."

The Italian national anthem was drowned out by jeers from the home crowd, which the 33-year-old condemned.

"You do not jeer anyone’s national anthem. That's it, no debate," Stankovic said.

Serbia can reach the playoffs by finishing in second place, and will do so if they beat Slovenia on Tuesday.

"We are a people full of pride, but must overcome the lack of a victory here and concentrate only on the next match with Slovenia," he said.

"After all, our chances of qualifying are still intact."

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Saturday 8th October 2011

634306_33_preview.jpg

EURO 2012 Those already there

Following England's qualification for next year's European Championships, we take a look at the tams who have also booked their tickets to Poland and Ukraine.

ENGLAND

Wayne Rooney's dismissal in the final qualifier against Montenegro meant England signed off on a sour note after some moments of encouragement during the qualifying campaign, as Fabio Capello made significant changes to the side after the disastrous 2010 World Cup. Their ability to thrive in tournament football remains hugely open to question.

GERMANY

Joachim Low's team look the best bet to wrest the European title from Spain next summer. Low has done a good job in creating a club atmosphere within the camp and with gifted individuals such as Mesut Ozil and Mario Gotze available, for once there is plenty of flair to add to the strong mental character which normally serves Germany so well in tournament football.

HOLLAND

Raced through qualifying and after finishing as World Cup runners-up last year will believe they are good enough to win their second European title in 2012. Inter Milan midfielder Wesley Sneijder remains the key player for the Oranje, who have quality all over the pitch.

ITALY

Azzurri coach Cesare Prandelli has revamped the squad following their failure to get past the group stage at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Traditionally unconvincing in qualification, they wasted little time in booking their ticket to the finals this time. If they can continue to get the best out of combustible talents like Mario Balotelli and Antonio Cassano, they are a good bet to reach the last four at least.

POLAND

The co-hosts' aim will be to reach the last eight and they have faced Germany, Argentina and France in friendlies in a bid to get them ready for the real thing next summer. Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny provides a solid last line of defence, while midfielder Ludovic Obraniak of Lille and Borussia Dortmund forward Robert Lewandowski have enjoyed recent success at club level.

SPAIN

The world and European champions are aiming to become the first side to retain the continental crown and still look well placed to do it with their 2008 and 2010 winners still in place. The prospect of the Barcelona-Real Madrid club rivalry spilling over into the national team camp is a concern, but harmony appears to exist at the moment and the arrival of exciting new prospects such as Barca midfielder Thiago Alcantara in the team bodes well for continued domination over the decade.

UKRAINE

Some unconvincing friendly results - including a run of four consecutive defeats earlier this year - does not bode well for next summer's co-hosts. Bayern Munich midfielder Anatoli Tymoshchuk remains the key man, while diminutive attacker Evgeni Konoplyanka is an exciting prospect. As with Poland, getting out of their group will be the major priority.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monday 10th October 2011

687036_33_preview.jpg

UEFA to discuss Rooney red card

UEFA will meet on Thursday to discuss Wayne Rooney's red card against Montenegro as the England star awaits his fate.

Rooney was sent off by referee Wolfgang Stark in Friday's draw with Montenegro after petulantly kicking out at Miodrag Dzudovic.

The Manchester United man is facing at least a one-match suspension and will consequently be banned for the Three Lions' opening game of next summer's finals in Poland and Ukraine.

UEFA could decide to increase the punishment to as many as three matches, but England remain hopeful it will only be a one-game ban after referee Stark admitted Rooney's acceptance of his red card could work in his favour.

Rooney, who will not be selected from the start for England's friendly games with Spain and Holland prior to the Euro 2012 finals, will now anxiously wait to learn his fate following Thursday's meeting at Uefa headquarters in Nyon.