• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

YOG dog food vs Beijing Olympics Volunteer Food

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
I say the food given to volunteers at Beijing Olympics is so much better.

Look at the photo: there are 4 dishes and rice.

This is what is given for volunteers at Beijing Olympics:

1. Beef
2. Seaweed and corn
3. Another beef dish
4. Chicken with vegetable
5. Rice
6. Fruit
7. Three bottles of water
8. Coke

http://leroyattheolympics.blogspot.com/2008/08/look-at-volunteer-lunch.html

Monday, August 18, 2008
A Look at the Volunteer 'Lunch'

lunch+food.jpg

I blogged earlier about the "lunch" that we get as volunteers. It's a bit difficult to enjoy.

What you see above is the tray of food after I ate. This photo actually makes it a look at little more colorful. This plastic container is given to us at a ridiculous high temperature along with a piece of fruit (which I will talk about), three bottles of water and a Coke.

With this particular lunch, I ate the middle out of my rice and about half of the upper left-hand corner. I think it was beef. The middle dish is a seaweed and corn dish that has been obliterated. On the far right is, I think, beef that has bones in it and pieces of fat. The bottom left is, I think, chicken with some green vegetable. For this lunch, I took the assumed-beef and put it on my rice that I cover with some spice sauce that is offered. On most days, it's about 10 spoonfuls of substance. It is just enough to make yourself think you're full. But don't forget about that piece of fruit. The bananas we have gotten have been good but when it is a staple just about every day they get old quickly. Some times we get what I call "greens." It supposed to be an orange but it is green. It's really difficult to eat but it does the trick some times.

I don't want anyone to think that I am starving because all of you know, I don't starve. Ultimately, lunch has given me another great appreciation for other meals.

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/08/offer-volunteers-a-decent-meal-at-least/

Offer volunteers a decent meal, at least

Posted by theonlinecitizen on August 14, 2010

yogfood320240.jpg

Letter by Leong Sze Hian to Straits Times forum page published on 14 August 2010:

I REFER to yesterday’s report (“Caterer acts after criticism of YOG food”).

It states: “The committee did not respond to questions on how much was budgeted for volunteers’ meals and whether there had been any guidelines for food provision.”

Since volunteers are not paid, I think the least that organisers could do is provide them with decent meals. As Singapore is hosting the first Youth Olympic Games, which will be reported by media internationally, such news does not bode well for Singapore’s reputation.

In the interest of public accountability, and given the fact that the YOG budget is already almost four times over the original budget, the following questions should be answered:

- How much was budgeted for each meal of a volunteer? Was it a problem with the budget or a case of the caterer scrimping to make more money perhaps?

- Was a tender exercise done to award the catering budget? If so, was it given to the lowest bidder, and what was the second highest bid?

Answering the above questions may help to ensure that similar problems do not occur in future events.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
- Was a tender exercise done to award the catering budget? If so, was it given to the lowest bidder, and what was the second highest bid?

It actually doesn't make a difference what the bids are for the simple reason that ALL the tenders come from govt linked companies.

Events such as YOG serve the purpose of transferring taxpayer money from one govt organisation to another in a perfectly "legitimate" manner. Govt cronies that sit on the boards of these companies can then be justifiably portrayed as heading companies with multi million dollar annual turnovers and receive the appropriate remuneration for performing such important jobs.

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can you tell from a photo?:confused:

From experiences with sporting events with external caterers involced:biggrin:

At least first look, you would not throw away the packet in disgust given the appearance. Follow by the first mouth to confirm the quality.

SFI failed miserably on this debacle on the pretext that YOG stems from the same standard of army grub that NSmen stomach.

They have taken for granted that they can get away from the swirl they served to NSF. But forgotten that a major public event is a different kettle of fish together.

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Waaa! Looks better than my plate of branded sotong mee!
Got Salmon some more! Can Guess what they get for desserts.

How can the Commies gets better food, protest! :oIo:

革命无罪 ! 造反有理!
Revolution for justice! Rebellion for reason!

革命无罪 ! 造反有理!

革命无罪 ! 造反有理!

That's a lot of food... comes with soup somemore!

Last edited:

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
n559602477_5877.jpg

you all sinkies are really overweight your know that.
Your should be thankful that you are served a healthy diet.
This is a perfect chance for your to lose some weight, in the spirit of
the YOG.
YOG is about the teamwork, the sweat and the sacrifice, and not about food.:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
n559602477_5877.jpg

you all sinkies are really overweight your know that.
Your should be thankful that you are served a healthy diet.
This is a perfect chance for your to lose some weight, in the spirit of
the YOG.
YOG is about the teamwork, the sweat and the sacrifice, and not about food.:biggrin:

VB : You want SFI meal pack, SAF combat ration or Geylang Serai Indian rojak?

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is clear that the whole saga has been a bunch of left & right pocket fund transfering.
  • Why must the food catering be awarded to SFI & SFI alone?
  • Why can't they award other caterers to provide different menus?
  • Why can't they award other caterers to provide for different venues?
  • What happened to SAATs, are they roped in to do the catering as well?

There are so many food & beverage businesses islandwide, and I'm sure many of them would be more than happy to receive food supply order for YOG. There are so many food catering businesses listed in yellowpages, I'm sure many would like to receive catering orders for YOG.

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why people not passionate about YOG.

If they had made it more inclusive and profit coffee shops and hawker centres you bet there will be more buzz. :biggrin:

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would imagine it would be an event to help propell our local businesses. Instead of branding SFI & SAATs that will never be able to achieve half as good tasting foods to the likes of: boon tong kee chicken rice, old chang kee curry puff, lau fu zi char kway teow, zam zam murtabak etc.

By being inclusive will surely minimize on health hazardous mishaps, while the portions could be served a little more to impress & put our local brands on the global arena.

The gov & organizers preech so much about the possibilities of propelling & magnifying this tiny red dot island. Sad to say, after spending $380M, this tiny red dot remains a forgotten dot on the atlas.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is clear that the whole saga has been a bunch of left & right pocket fund transfering.
  • Why must the food catering be awarded to SFI & SFI alone?
  • Why can't they award other caterers to provide different menus?
  • Why can't they award other caterers to provide for different venues?
  • What happened to SAATs, are they roped in to do the catering as well?
What talk you? SATS own SFI.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Slave/volunteer is save by all the helpful online circulate the photo and news.
That why they better remember this . Not PAP/Meadiacock/SPH.