• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I'm being offered a job overseas - need advice

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Currently striving in my own company of 6 years, income quite ok but not consistent, lots of freedom (time and creativity).

Kenna head hunted by an agency, offering me 8k + accommodation in HK

Wanted to leave SG if there's opportunities, but i cant let go of many things...., my company... my family.... my friends..... -_-"

How arr .....................?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Currently striving in my own company of 6 years, income quite ok but not consistent, lots of freedom (time and creativity).

Wanted to leave SG if there's opportunities, but i cant let go of many things...., my company... my family.... my friends..... -_-"

Leave - new life, new things to see, new people to meet, yada yada yada

Stay - all of the above and you can keep on compraining abt life here

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
If your standard of living improves, net income after tax is higher and the overseas job will help open up new opportunities for the future. Why not?

Still maintain your company, if new employer won't want to do the task, you still can channel it to your own company in singapore to do mah.

Can also fly budget back to singapore twice a month over the weekend.

If you liable for ICT, also can get exemption.

Sturcture your employment so that you still have the flexibility to elect as a tax resident in singapore, just be aware there is a tax treaty btw sinkieland and HK.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you are single, just go! If got family and kids, of course got to take them into consideration as well.

You need to take into account the tax rate, living expenses, CPF contribution.......etc. But then again, I would advice you to go even if you are getting on par or slightly lower than your current salary. Working overseas will really open up your eyes, enriches your experience and it will also add points to your resume........something that's gonna worth much more in dollar terms in the future.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
HK ? one hell of stress working environment. how about the ppl there ? arrogant ? the way they talk like very rude ..

natas

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm away from Singapore for more than 4 years. Abt 2 years in JKT, 2 years in Hanoi... travel back to Singapore monthly for few days. Initially, I just love the life and freedom but later, I just got too tired, lonely, miss my family and friend.

If your oversea stint is short then it is ok, but too long then u will feel home sick.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to feel that way too. But looking at what sinkieland is turning into over these few years, I dont think I am gonna miss it, except for the nagging from family and the chat with friends over kopi-o.

Even a cup of coffee at the heartland coffee shop also dont feel like what it use to be. The uncle and aunty who use to make and serve coffee replaced by foreigners. Next table also foreigners, more cramp like shit. Just feel like being in a foreign country. Half of my attachment gone liao.

I'm away from Singapore for more than 4 years. Abt 2 years in JKT, 2 years in Hanoi... travel back to Singapore monthly for few days. Initially, I just love the life and freedom but later, I just got too tired, lonely, miss my family and friend.

If your oversea stint is short then it is ok, but too long then u will feel home sick.

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just to share experience with you, first 6 months, you will be very homesick. After tat, you get use to it. New enviroment, new friends, and adjusted to life in new place.

Of cos, if you got family, it would be different as you want them to be with you. You can consider bringing them over. As for friends, they come and go, and with telecommunications getting better everyday, you can always stay in touch much more easily....

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
If you are interested to know, we can talk over a coffee. :wink:

This is necessary because there are certain details need to be sorted out first which may be too private to be revealed here.

Goh Meng Seng

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry, i forgot some details.

1) Agency contract i have to close my company
2) My parents are old, 1 kenna mild stroke, 1 has a weak heart in the last 2 years
3) Overseas stint - 3-5 years, but still can support the Oranje there, LOL :biggrin::biggrin:
4) Am single, 38 years old, quite old liao hor :p:p
5) In my profession, weekend traveling back is impossible
6) No HDB, so gov didnt chain me for 40 years, LOL

What i'm worried most are my parent........ i havent told them yet.....

My company, although not big, but have some reputable clients like Temasek subsidiaries, Hyflux, SingHealth, ABN Amro to name a few... I feel its a bit wasted to close just like that.... :(:(

Dun hantam me for my clients hor, i also need to eat 1 hor :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) Agency contract i have to close my company
Dun close la, partnership with sumwan you can trust. What you do? cleaning company or supply stapler bullets ?

4) Am single, 38 years old, quite old liao hor
Hoi! why don't you get in touch with Krafty, the fella is quite horny now :biggrin:

saf_ranger

Alfrescian
Loyal
8 k is just a min salary for HK PPL.. i myself aready left singapore for work in thailand and indonisa .my salary is x 5 time more then what i get in singapore and over here i have many free time...and best is not stress at all..