• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

People Association and The PAP

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jul 10, 2010
PA|P : Drawing the line between PA and PAP
By Teo Wan Gek
http://www.straitstimes.com/Insight/Story/STIStory_551692.html

IN SINGAPORE politics, the line that separates the People's Association (PA) from the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) is, at best, blurred for most people.

Part of the reason is the picture presented by their grassroots leaders.

It is not an uncommon sight to find these community leaders walking alongside PAP candidates during election time, canvassing for votes.

Further clouding the distinction is the way the PA operates and its leadership structure.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, the PAP's secretary-general, is also chairman of the PA.

This practice was introduced in 1960 when its founding chairman Lee Kuan Yew formed the statutory board to group all key voluntary social organisations, clubs and associations for sports, music and cooking.

Its role was to promote closer ties among Singapore's ethnic groups, for which it received government resources.

Therein lies the nub of a problem which has further reinforced the perception that the PA is part of the PAP.

Unlike the situation in PAP constituencies, the two opposition MPs are not the grassroots advisers in their wards. PA appointed the losing candidates from the PAP as the advisers.

Hence, when Hougang and Potong Pasir were selected to get lift upgrading last year, the announcement was made by PAP grassroots advisers Eric Low and Sitoh Yih Pin.

The National Development Ministry's argument is that as the opposition MPs are not answerable to the government of the day, implementing the Lift Upgrading Programme is not one of their constitutional or legal duties.

The common perception of the PA being a tool of the PAP can be traced to the political party's runaway success in helming the Government for the past 50 years.

Former PA chief executive director Tan Boon Huat said as much when he declared in an interview with The Straits Times in January: 'We are a government agency; we carry out the Government's programme.

'The fact that we have the same political party in power all these years maybe colours this impression.'

Nominated MP Viswa Sadasivan agrees: 'The thin, and sometimes fuzzy, line between the PA and the PAP is an inevitable consequence of having one political party in government since self-rule in 1959.'

In another media interview in January, Mr Tan was quoted as saying that the PA is 'political, but not partisan'.

Party politics does not come into play in its activities, he had added, noting that party activists are not allowed to use community centres and PA premises to advance their political objectives.

But, given its leadership and organisation structure, political observer Eugene Tan argued that a person would be hard-pressed to see the PA as a truly non-partisan player.

'The question is not whether it is a quasi-government organisation, but whether it can shed its close linkages with the ruling party,' said Mr Tan, an assistant professor of law at Singapore Management University (SMU).

Grassroots leader Wong Hao, a PAP member, acknowledged that it was common to hear residents make comments about the PA and PAP being one and the same.

'We always tell residents that PA is purely grassroots and has nothing to do with the PAP, which is political. But it is very difficult to change the perception,' said the 32-year-old accounts manager at a multinational company. He has been a grassroots leader in Aljunied GRC for 14 years.

Half of the grassroots leaders in Aljunied are not PAP members, he added.

Over in Teck Ghee ward in Ang Mo Kio GRC, grassroots leader Jessica Goh explained why she did not become a PAP member even after serving for 11 years. Said the 45-year-old personal assistant: 'I want to be able to speak freely if I disagree with a policy. Others may have difficulty doing so if they are party members.'

Wearing both PAP and PA hats is, however, not uncommon among many grassroots leaders.

The vice-chairman of the youth executive committee at Eunos Community Centre, Mr Fong Yoong Kheong, insists that he can keep the two roles separate.

'Whenever I'm at a grassroots event, it's not in my capacity as a party member. And vice versa,' said the 24-year-old university undergraduate.

But opposition grassroots leaders scoff at the claim.

Said Mr Desmond Lim, secretary-general of Singapore Democratic Alliance: 'We are human. Day-to-day life is politics. The two are intricately linked. If we deny this, we are deceiving the people.'

Political observers say the best way for the PA to cast off its image as being linked to the PAP is to change its practice of appointing PAP members to serve as grassroots advisers in opposition wards.

Said Mr Viswa: 'It would be in the PA's interest - its credibility as a non-partisan grassroots organisation - to change the current practice where a non-ruling party MP, duly elected by his constituents, is not automatically the adviser to the grassroots organisations in his ward.

'Practices such as this could mar the immense good work done by the PA.'

SMU's Mr Tan, however, does not see the PA changing this practice.

'Ultimately, it is the PAP government's underlying philosophy that the grassroots movement should be aligned with the party in power. So an opposition grassroots is seen as being at odds with the mission of the PA and the grassroots network.'

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a Policeman by vocation and I also run a brothel to supplement my income. I however to take great pains to avoid any conflict of interest. Yesterday, I told my colleague in the Police force that he should be a bookie to supplement his income but I told him he must be clear to draw the line and act in the correct capacity in any role that he takes.

I however can't help it if people associate me as a pimp when I wear my uniform.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Scroobal, this article by Teo missed one significant point. The point is this:
The PA has subcontracted many of its outreach programs to mayoral districts. These districts were created as a failsafe system in case the PAP held constituencies within these mayoral districts were lost to the oppo. What the PA did was transfer some of its budget to the mayoral districts. The mayoral districts would administer the social programs previously done by the PA. But the mayors are appointed and not elected and guess what, they are all PAP MPs.
So, for example, Zainuddin lost his seat in the next GE. By right, he should have no more involvement in that constituency as the new oppo MP would be running it. But Zainuddin would still be very prominent in the constituency as he is incharge of distributing the money and services that mayoral district supplies. THat way, the PAP is assured of its own insider in the constituency to sabo the new oppo MP, and still make the PAP look good by having Zainuddin front and centre in handing out goodies. U can bet that any of the mayoral districts that lost seats to the oppo will see its budget significant increased to counteract the oppo's efforts.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you. The budget is taxes that we paid and this is how they are doing PAP campaigning without giving their own funds. By the way, it GCT's initiative and he did something that was worse than old man.

People have no respect for those employed in these organisations. A disgrace.

Scroobal, this article by Teo missed one significant point. The point is this:
The PA has subcontracted many of its outreach programs to mayoral districts. These districts were created as a failsafe system in case the PAP held constituencies within these mayoral districts were lost to the oppo. What the PA did was transfer some of its budget to the mayoral districts. The mayoral districts would administer the social programs previously done by the PA. But the mayors are appointed and not elected and guess what, they are all PAP MPs.
So, for example, Zainuddin lost his seat in the next GE. By right, he should have no more involvement in that constituency as the new oppo MP would be running it. But Zainuddin would still be very prominent in the constituency as he is incharge of distributing the money and services that mayoral district supplies. THat way, the PAP is assured of its own insider in the constituency to sabo the new oppo MP, and still make the PAP look good by having Zainuddin front and centre in handing out goodies. U can bet that any of the mayoral districts that lost seats to the oppo will see its budget significant increased to counteract the oppo's efforts.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have to disagree bro. Except for few that swallow the pill because they have little choice like the current CJ during his term as AG, most have no respect for the PAP. They have been forced to act due to political pressure.

The PA is a distinct political animal and everyone know that. PSC had to act on a number of occasions when scholars refused to be posted there. Now days only the converts are seconded there after careful interview etc.

PA was created as stat body purposely as Raja refused to have it under his ministry.

There are thousands of civil servants from teachers, engineers, social workers, doctors, to fireman who will laugh if you said that they are the PAP. I have no doubt that there will be a Tan Boon Huat here and there, most have have no time for the PAP including the Perm Sec.

The only thing the Civil service can be accused of is being lacking in a backbone and could no longer be bothered to act in the interest of the people because of the high salary and doing anything might jeopardise their salary.

http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?t=43741

bro,

not only PA is viewed as a PAP entity, Civil Servants are viewed as PAP puppets too! :biggrin::eek::biggrin::eek:

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?t=43741

bro,

not only PA is viewed as a PAP entity, Civil Servants are viewed as PAP puppets too! :biggrin::eek::biggrin::eek:

It's the Muppets Show Time!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/42cRLsZ4Qmw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/42cRLsZ4Qmw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
There are thousands of civil servants from teachers, engineers, social workers, doctors, to fireman who will laugh if you said that they are the PAP.

ok, granted PA is a governmental arm, at least my doubts have been cleared.

you may disagree on the latter, and even i have been telling folks that Civil Servants aren't PAP, then i hear lots of them branding Civil Servants as PAP puppets... :o:o:o

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
P.A.P....People's Association Party, the middle "A" is interchangable, when needs arise...1. Action, 2. Association, 3. Affordable.

:biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
If you ask 10 Singaporeans what PAP stands for, I bet you that at least 3 will say that it stands for People's Association Party.
And at least 3 will say that PA stands for People's Action.
That's Singaporeans for you.
Seek justice only when they invested in failed investment products.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let us remind ourselves how PA came abt. If my memory hasnt failed me, back in the tumultous 1960s, 35 out of 51 PAP branches were captured by the barisan sosialis and 19 of 23 organising secs defected so that all the CCs controlled by PAP fell into BS hands. It was a direct hit on the Old Man and his support base was almost crippled. Overnight, his power base vanished. He promised himself he would have none of it again. Same thing happened when his CEC was captured. His vulnerabilities were wide open.

So he created the cardinal system of cadres copied from the Vatican church, that allows only cadres to elect CEC members, which is a no-brainer, because cadres were nominated by the CEC. This existed till today.

He created the PA to bring all the CCs and PAP branch activities under one umbrella controlled by himself and his PAP cadres. This existed till today.

But you dont find this mentioned in the Press when recounting the PA's history.
After the cadre system, the PA is actually an overkill. But since it was serving the PAP too well, why dismantle it? It allows the PAP t control the ground and grassroots, and anytime anybody wags his tail, the Old Man will know whether he wants to piss or shit.

Today, they try to talk in vague terms. Rookie reporters know little abt the background or unwittingly whitewash things with whatever is fed to them. Senior ones are probably too jaded or resigned to dig up the past. they are also looking after their own butts - why rock the boat? Old man will meet his maker soon.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent, To add on, after JBJ victory and the refusal to handover the grassroots infrastructure that was PA and paid for by government coffers, they began the 2nd phase of PA politicisation and now its truly an arm of the PAP.

Here is a little known secret. Its is from PA budget that salary/allowance or for accounting reasons pension has been paid for his ex-adversaries who were part of the barisan / communist front. And they turned up in droves to celebrate the launch of Men White including shaking the old man's hand. Only Dominic Puthuchery is a lawyer in Malaysia but his son is now a singaporean and a member of the PAP.

Let us remind ourselves how PA came abt. If my memory hasnt failed me, back in the tumultous 1960s, 35 out of 51 PAP branches were captured by the barisan sosialis and 19 of 23 organising secs defected so that all the CCs controlled by PAP fell into BS hands. It was a direct hit on the Old Man and his support base was almost crippled. Overnight, his power base vanished. He promised himself he would have none of it again. Same thing happened when his CEC was captured. His vulnerabilities were wide open.

So he created the cardinal system of cadres copied from the Vatican church, that allows only cadres to elect CEC members, which is a no-brainer, because cadres were nominated by the CEC. This existed till today.

He created the PA to bring all the CCs and PAP branch activities under one umbrella controlled by himself and his PAP cadres. This existed till today.

After the cadre system, the PA is actually an overkill. But since it was serving the PAP too well, why dismantle it? It allows the PAP t control the ground and grassroots, and anytime anybody wags his tail, the Old Man will know whether he wants to piss or shit.

Today, they try to talk in vague terms. Rookie reporters know little abt the background or unwittingly whitewash things with whatever is fed to them. Senior ones are probably too jaded or resigned to dig up the past. they are also looking after their own butts - why rock the boat? Old man will meet his maker soon.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Agree with you. The budget is taxes that we paid and this is how they are doing PAP campaigning without giving their own funds. By the way, it GCT's initiative and he did something that was worse than old man.

People have no respect for those employed in these organisations. A disgrace.

The PAP and Old Goat have been blurring the lines of what is the PAP'S and what is the people's. SOme idiot PAP MPs actually think HDB, PUB, etc are all owned by the PAP and therefore at the beck and call of the PAP and Old goat. This happened in the ROC too with the KMT, and when they were kicked out, the new govt. found alot of KMT assets and funds commingled with the govt's.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jul 10, 2010

being such a bias, prejudiced, narrow-minded and resentful coward, perhaps it's about time u shake off that "moderator" title. i think leongsam, the host is making u look like an idiot by exposing your true nature.

Internet Brigade

Alfrescian
Loyal
ok, granted PA is a governmental arm, at least my doubts have been cleared.

you may disagree on the latter, and even i have been telling folks that Civil Servants aren't PAP, then i hear lots of them branding Civil Servants as PAP puppets... :o:o:o

In that same breath would you say all private sector workers are Opposition loyalists?

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Good post by kingrant. At school I was taught a different history. It seems, a very one-sided version.

Boss Sammy - please allow me to bump this old thread. Thank you in advance.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
in that same breath, i haven't heard of people labeling folks in the private sector as opposition loyalists, not until you did :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Has anyone conducted a test of association to see if there is any association between preference for working in private sector and inclination to support opposition?

Observed CountsPrefer private sectorPrefer public sector
Inclined toward PAPab
Inclined toward oppositioncd

Fisher exact test statistic:
cb44ee7d47f349b7494a123e532fd848.png

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have always made a clear distinction between supporting PAP and my non-partisan grassroots work. When I wear the PA grassroots shirt, I am fiercely non-partisan. I am the 2nd last person (after Kee Chiu) to allow PA be politicized to support PAP.

But when I change my shirt to PAP after finishing my grassroots shift, I go all out to fix the opposition.