• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Share Prices and Currency Values

destroyer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello bros, mods please do not move this thread to other sections as I feel there are more international people reading and posting in this section than any other section and I need the feedback of wiser bros who have spent time abroad and thus exposed to news outside sg.

furthermore since this is not a finance forum, there will be less biased remarks.

just read this article today http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...7770265/Is-Europe-heading-for-a-meltdown.html

my question is, say there is a world-wide depression and all the shares prices tumble down.. would property prices come down as well?

how about the value of singapore currency, australian currency, usd and euros?

would they tumble as well?

thank you so much for your input. looking forward to learning from you guys.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello bros, mods please do not move this thread to other sections as I feel there are more international people reading and posting in this section than any other section and I need the feedback of wiser bros who have spent time abroad and thus exposed to news outside sg.

furthermore since this is not a finance forum, there will be less biased remarks.

just read this article today http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...7770265/Is-Europe-heading-for-a-meltdown.html

my question is, say there is a world-wide depression and all the shares prices tumble down.. would property prices come down as well?

My unreliable sources predicted the ASX to drop to 3800 pts but will Australia properties drop ? I doubt so.. I hv heaps of monthly property magazines in my office, you may drop by to have a look..

Reliable statistics confirmed Australia commercial properties to grow by 12% for the next 2 yrs.. residential to slow down to 8% pa..

If financial crisis cannot cripple Australia property market, what else can :-)

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
My unreliable sources predicted the ASX to drop to 3800 pts but will Australia properties drop ? I doubt so.. I hv heaps of monthly property magazines in my office, you may drop by to have a look..

Reliable statistics confirmed Australia commercial properties to grow by 12% for the next 2 yrs.. residential to slow down to 8% pa..

The above is for Australia perspectives only.. In summary, there'll be 2nd crash in stock market.. i think..

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The short answer for property prices going down is: yes, definitely, but since it is a worldwide correction in prices, the real value of the property will then be that of the land content, not the structure.

Which means while in SG, 50 storey apartments will be almost worthless overnight while landed property will have the price of the land to support some value.

Then again, in the event of a worldwide depression, external threats such as insurgency/war/natural disasters, would change the level of demand and supply and thus effect land prices itself, and this is a likely thing to happen should there be millions of hungry people in one country and a well-fed neighbour just across the border.

destroyer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello brothers,

I apologise for not making myself clearer.

What I mean was if there is a new financial crisis which happened in the last few years where all the share prices come tumbling down, how will the values of the various currencies be affected?

I am not talking about property prices but the values of currencies.

Thank you for your inputs.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

Where you stay ? I want to borrow some to read also ah.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hello brothers,

What I mean was if there is a new financial crisis which happened in the last few years where all the share prices come tumbling down, how will the values of the various currencies be affected?

Which currency against which?

Nobody here holds a crystal ball or can give you a magic formula if event 1, 2, 3 or 5, 9, 8 will return you an answer that WILL happen.

Economists comment on certerus paribus, Financial Analysts lie to maximise THEIR company's value, TV commentators or journalists just regurgitate information and hope to look and sound smart at the same time. Worst of all, "Financial Advisors" are rotten scums of the earth who just want your money and their commissions.

So how? If you are interested, get some fundamental education on the the area you are interested in, read up as many opinions as you can, formulate your own strategy based on these inputs and believe in yourself.

And the best advice? Don't ever asks questions like these in brainless forums such as this one:biggrin::biggrin:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My think.

Euro is in deep shits because no matter where the PIHIGS turn, it is Checkmate Day and the D-Day Pork Chops will end up in the B.B.Q. It does not help that the steadyhand Germans failed to take the lead and left the Greek Tragady to the frogs (French) OMG! The French!!!! Anyway, Europe is turning :eek: left-wing. :eek: IMF solution for Greek is to kill the patient to save the leg.

The British Pounding day will reckon and God Saves the Queen only. It's currency will not be saved because devaluation will be the call of the day. And the 2 PMs will not save the British govt from collapse.

Aussie is a commodity currency so it will match the fall in commodity prices.

USA is still perceived as a safe haven for now, thanks to the dollar hegemony. How long this will last depends on the Second Coming of "Christ" - When Wall St banks shout "Jesus Christ! We messed up again" and stop lending to each other. People will stop trusting the the greenback but not the message it brings. "In God We Trust" on the greenback will live up to its name. The midterm election will complicate matters.

In general. China will be in hyperinflation mode unless it raises interest rates. But too many vested interest means that cheap money will continue to flow. Perhaps the next Chinese President will take action, but the current one is settling down to write how he is going to be remembered.

The global situation is such that money will no longer be a good store of wealth, so the winning currencies are those backed by assets and the losers, of course those deep in debts public and private.

Not sure how my prediction will turn out, the Earth is round and G20 actually got it partially right in Korea. But still, no one will face up to the real roots of the Global Financial Tsunami. :confused:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello brothers,

Thank you for your inputs.

We do see the markets crashing more this year. The US recovery is fragile now stimulus measures have expired. Europe is ground zero for 2010. China will be ground zero in 2011. In terms of currency valuations the Euro will continue to experience downward pressure so many of us are short. The dollar will continue its expected flight to safety but a complicating factor is the Fed futures now point towards only a 30% chance the Fed will raise rates at its Jan 2011 meeting so we are restricting any dollar apprection strictly to geopolitical and flight to safety criteria. We expect the Yen to trade sideways at 90-95 this year.

MAS has shifted the S$ target band to appreciate so we are expecting it to hit 1.35 this year. Commodity currencies are being looked at closely as Australia has paused but a 7th rate hike is likely in 2010 due to wage inflation and Canada has raised rates for the first time recently - first of the G7 to do so.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where you stay ? I want to borrow some to read also ah.

Yo ash, everyone should have their opinion and prediction.. if they have a little gambling genes, together with their spot on prediction, it will bring them little fortune before any retirement kicks in.

I stay in the Eastern Suburb 8km from the CBD.. so you coming down to Melbourne ? Lets cheong ?