• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Temasek Holdings Financial report analysis

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Please refer to Temasek Holdings website for the Income statement as well as Balance Sheet:

My addition to the analysis below is that there is an unusual 76% jump in "Other Operation Expenses".

The following is Written By PAPsmearer

This could be a long thread, but I want to focus on mainly just this, and not on the well documented Temasek losses, etc.

Temasek Bloated bureaucracy – What many people fail to understand is that Temasek is a fund manager incorporated as a Pte Ltd. In this sense, they are similar many other mutual fund companies around the world. They build a portfolio of companies for their investor, which in this case is MOF. And they try to earn them a return.

The overhead and fixed costs at Temasek are outrageous. In its 2009 financial statements and balance sheets, Temasek had $140.953 billion in assets (table 1). This was down from $169.844 billion in 2008. However, total expenses were $31.170 billion dollars or a whopping 22.11% of assets (percentage of assets is usually how funds are judged). Why was it only $25.7 billion in 2008, a year in which Temasek’s net profit was almost 3 times that of 2009!! So, how is it that in a year when net profit was 3 times less than in 2008, it incurred 21.28% in higher expenses!!

The expenses for 2009 (table 2) are broken down as follows:

Selling and Distribution $5.042 billion or 3.57% of assets
Administrative $8.068 billion or 5.72% of assets
Finance charges $2.727 billion or 1.93% of assets
Other operating expenses $15.333 billion or 10.88% of assets

The thing that really jumped out to me was the administrative expenses. This is expenses for salaries, rents, etc. How can a staff of only 350 incur $8 billion in administrative expenses! Do they have their own private jets, gold water faucets, etc?

Also, the selling and distribution expense is incredibly high too. In the US, mutual funds are restricted to just 0.75% for distribution fees, and most expense ratio in international funds are around 1%. Generally speaking, management fees in total can fluctuate depending on the type of fund. if a fund actively buys and sell, and we are talking hundreds, maybe thousands of stocks a year, the MER (Management expense ratio) can be high. This is not the case for Temasek. Worldwide, mutual funds are able to charge a 1% fee and this fee pays for its admin costs, salaries, etc. and still affords them a profit. In Temasek`s case, this is 22.11%. An astounding number. The taxpayer has no problem 22% of assets as an expense if Temasek management produced a say 150% increase in assets. But this is a year when Temasek lost $40 billion. It is very hard to justify.

The fact is that Temasek is out of control. There is no reign or oversight on its expenses. the truth of the matter is the PAP would have been better off parking Singapore’s money with 50 of the best fund managers in the world. Not only would they not have lost billions on Shincorp, Merrill Lynch, barclays, etc., their management expenses would have been much lower than what Temasek is charging the public. I am very interested in the salary component of Temasek`s expenses but I am sure it will not be revealed. In addition, if Singapore has its money with 50 top funds, the lowest 20% of performing fund managers can be culled every year, and replace with other fund managers. Well, when was the last time any underperforming personnel was culled at Temasek?

Its obvious that Temasek is a huge golden feeding trough for the PAP elite, a trough that the BOD is not overseeing, and may even be participating in. I am sure they make NKF look like peanuts. Temasek should be dismantled and the funds parked with the best reputable fund managers around the world. The taxpayer does not need a shiny new building, and $8 billion a year in administrative costs. Politically, the PAP should do that. Its obvious the antiquated and unprofessional way that Temasek is run reflects badly on them when such large sums of money are lost. At least if the money was with a fund manager, and he lost that much, the PAP can deflect the blame to the fund manager. But money is power, and the PAP wants to hold all the money.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on something that I don`t think the public is too aware of.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Refer to highlighted in red below.

All the more we must vote more opposition members into Parliament to ask these questions and accounts, where they must reply something. In public, they could ignore you, claiming Temasek is a private company.

Chiam See Tong was very energetic in his first few terms. In fact, he played a role in questioning MND pricing policies in Parliament, forcing Teh Cheang Wan into trying to distort facts and figures. That even aroused the suspicion of Lee Kuan Yew and CPIB, and the rest was history.

I'm not saying Mah Bow Tan or Ho Ching is corrupt. However, sometimes people in power, if not checked, can cause public to suffer unfairness and losses even when they're not corrupt, but just policies running amok.

Please refer to Temasek Holdings website for the Income statement as well as Balance Sheet:

My addition to the analysis below is that there is an unusual 76% jump in "Other Operation Expenses".

The following is Written By PAPsmearer

This could be a long thread, but I want to focus on mainly just this, and not on the well documented Temasek losses, etc.

Temasek Bloated bureaucracy – What many people fail to understand is that Temasek is a fund manager incorporated as a Pte Ltd. In this sense, they are similar many other mutual fund companies around the world. They build a portfolio of companies for their investor, which in this case is MOF. And they try to earn them a return.

The overhead and fixed costs at Temasek are outrageous. In its 2009 financial statements and balance sheets, Temasek had $140.953 billion in assets (table 1). This was down from $169.844 billion in 2008. However, total expenses were $31.170 billion dollars or a whopping 22.11% of assets (percentage of assets is usually how funds are judged). Why was it only $25.7 billion in 2008, a year in which Temasek’s net profit was almost 3 times that of 2009!! So, how is it that in a year when net profit was 3 times less than in 2008, it incurred 21.28% in higher expenses!!

The expenses for 2009 (table 2) are broken down as follows:

Selling and Distribution $5.042 billion or 3.57% of assets
Administrative $8.068 billion or 5.72% of assets
Finance charges $2.727 billion or 1.93% of assets
Other operating expenses $15.333 billion or 10.88% of assets

The thing that really jumped out to me was the administrative expenses. This is expenses for salaries, rents, etc. How can a staff of only 350 incur $8 billion in administrative expenses! Do they have their own private jets, gold water faucets, etc?

Also, the selling and distribution expense is incredibly high too. In the US, mutual funds are restricted to just 0.75% for distribution fees, and most expense ratio in international funds are around 1%. Generally speaking, management fees in total can fluctuate depending on the type of fund. if a fund actively buys and sell, and we are talking hundreds, maybe thousands of stocks a year, the MER (Management expense ratio) can be high. This is not the case for Temasek. Worldwide, mutual funds are able to charge a 1% fee and this fee pays for its admin costs, salaries, etc. and still affords them a profit. In Temasek`s case, this is 22.11%. An astounding number. The taxpayer has no problem 22% of assets as an expense if Temasek management produced a say 150% increase in assets. But this is a year when Temasek lost $40 billion. It is very hard to justify.

The fact is that Temasek is out of control. There is no reign or oversight on its expenses. the truth of the matter is the PAP would have been better off parking Singapore’s money with 50 of the best fund managers in the world. Not only would they not have lost billions on Shincorp, Merrill Lynch, barclays, etc., their management expenses would have been much lower than what Temasek is charging the public. I am very interested in the salary component of Temasek`s expenses but I am sure it will not be revealed. In addition, if Singapore has its money with 50 top funds, the lowest 20% of performing fund managers can be culled every year, and replace with other fund managers. Well, when was the last time any underperforming personnel was culled at Temasek?

Its obvious that Temasek is a huge golden feeding trough for the PAP elite, a trough that the BOD is not overseeing, and may even be participating in. I am sure they make NKF look like peanuts. Temasek should be dismantled and the funds parked with the best reputable fund managers around the world. The taxpayer does not need a shiny new building, and $8 billion a year in administrative costs. Politically, the PAP should do that. Its obvious the antiquated and unprofessional way that Temasek is run reflects badly on them when such large sums of money are lost. At least if the money was with a fund manager, and he lost that much, the PAP can deflect the blame to the fund manager. But money is power, and the PAP wants to hold all the money.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on something that I don`t think the public is too aware of.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Meaningless without notes to financial statements. especially since organization has such a wide range of holdings. also equity stakes, depending on % might or might not be reflected in the statements.

In a company where they own more then 50% likely that subsidiary's expense is taken in. So it is not case of 350 employees of temasek but employees of PSA, NOL, Singtel (not sure how much % they own).

In short, meaningless without notes.

Even for their assets it depends on how it is valued.

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you look at the latest Singapore Budget, it is more or less the same.

1/3 or 1/2 of expenditure or income in some categories coming from the vague heading "Others" or "Miscellaneous".

All the figures are obfuscated even when they "release" it.

At least they have some notes for that one.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why do you convert to support GMS and NSP? Thought you always PAP?
This 'Ron Ron' is some nerd scholar who had just received his latest instruction from his PAP Internet Brigade boss.

Henceforth, he is supposed to change his avatar, his entire tune, so as to allow them to show that online views are fickle, un-credible & totally open to astroturfing .....

either that or he is trying to score with his extreme sarcasm & satire...

as for his buddies clinton666 - that one can continue to play bouncer-mafia ...:oIo:

* I have left out Internet Brigade because at least he is an unabashedly straight PAP spokesman.

UseYourBrain

Alfrescian
Loyal
0590160306002.png

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TAX PAYERS NIGHTMARE!!! This is thousands times worse than NKF & Renci scandals combined and the "auditor" is LKY & LHL.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$8 billion for a staff of 350! It's on top of "operating expenses" like maintence of buildings and know one knows what as its account is not officially audited nor debated in parLEEment.

That's almost than twice the for the 2010 Budget for Health http://www.mof.gov.sg/budget_2010/expenditure_overview/moh.html of Sin$4.18 billion!!!!!!! Can someone ask WHY?

Progress package of S$2.6b to help 3m Singaporeans was debated in Parliament for a week. S$8b written off in a single line as admin expenses. Mmm...

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Meaningless without notes to financial statements. especially since organization has such a wide range of holdings. also equity stakes, depending on % might or might not be reflected in the statements.

In a company where they own more then 50% likely that subsidiary's expense is taken in. So it is not case of 350 employees of temasek but employees of PSA, NOL, Singtel (not sure how much % they own).

In short, meaningless without notes.

Even for their assets it depends on how it is valued.

U don't need the notes to extrapolate from this. Normally, I read the notes first before even look at the P&L or Balance sheet.If you are saying that subsidiary expenses are taken in, than you have to also add the subsidiary's assets and income or losses. Since the 2009 financial statement state $140 billion in assets (the figure that govt officials and other source state as the funds under management), it obvious that the subsidiary's assets are not included. Otherwise, the amount of assets will be well in excess of $200 billion. Also Temasek holds a portfolio of companies, they do not make companies their subsidiaries. So, I would say these numbers are accurate, otherwise they are buying companies with large overhead and expenses, not a good thing either way.